YT Premium prices just went up, nearly doubling!

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

The problem is what do you pirate that makes up for youtube?

I only actively watch like, three people. Ltt, SlowMoGuys, and Cleetus McFarland. It's not hard to work around YouTubes bs and keep watching them. The only other thing I use yt for is the occasional tutorial video. So for me piracy isn't gonna get me those things. But it still upsets me enough to "alternatively aquire" music and what not. I'm so over paying for a million different services that each do one thing. You could fund half of my student pilot training with the amount you spend per month on all those services. 

I only pay for YT Premium because of convenience as its only 1€ more than Spotify. If they increase the price I'll just cancel and use Newpipe again. 

Something to note here is that, since 2021, the value of the Australian dollar has decreased 20% compared to the US dollar. Since YouTube is a US-based company, that is certainly a factor, and that's on top of global inflation at the same time. If you assume a 20% inflation since 2021, and combine that with the 20% loss in value of AUD against USD, the result is a 44% drop in the value of the Australian dollar over the last 2 years.

This would imply that, just accounting for currency exchange and inflation, YouTube would need to increase the price from $18 AUD to $26 AUD just to get back to charging the equivalent of what they did in 2021.

That doesn't account for a jump all the way to $32 AUD, but it's definitely part of the reason YouTube decided to up the price for Australians. The remaining $8 is where the actual price hike is happening.

This is not an excuse for YouTube - I don't think such an aggressive price hike is justified considering the vastly increased competition in the online video streaming space - but I wanted to explain part of the reason they are likely doing this.

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That doesn't account for a jump all the way to $32 AUD,

..technically it does
the US family plan's pricing when converted to AUD is 33 a month
I am not saying  it right, but it is no different than a developer changing regional pricing

1 minute ago, BrandonLatzig said:

..technically it does
the US family plan's pricing when converted to AUD is 33 a month

Did you US family plan receive a pricing hike in the last year as well?

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Did you US family plan receive a pricing hike in the last year as well?

I dont know, I wasn't using youtube premium because for the most part I dont care about ads, hell the ad free thing is the least important thing to me in the deal

I have been on the fence about keeping YouTube Premium. It's my most used streaming services. I really like not having ads, and I like to support business models that aren't based on ads, but a price doubling would push me over the edge. YouTube sends me down too many rabbit holes that keep me there way too long. I also don't use YouTube Music at all. If they are viewing that has half the value of the subscription, I'd like to drop it and pay half the price.

These streaming services are getting really greedy lately. There are reports of the subscriber numbers being up, due to a crackdown on account sharing (with Netflix and Disney), and the response to this is to raise their prices. They can't just take the win of more paying customers...

I made the mistake of sharing my Netflix account with my sister years ago (only after the CEO literally posted on Twitter telling people to do this). I keep waiting for Netflix for enforcing the no more sharing of accounts so her stuff doesn't work anymore. The second they do, I'm cancelling. I haven't used Netflix in a year and I keep it around for her. Every time I ask her about getting rid of it she gives me money to keep it, but then forgets for 6 months until I bring it up again.

When I cancel one, I might go on a spree and cancel a bunch of them. Just keep one at a time and rotate when I get bored of one.