My pool leaked and killed my computer

AlexTheGreatish

After the Sonos upgrade video Linus' computer leaked and sadly is dead... but we've got a whole host of upgrades to the pool cooling loop to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Buy a IEC C13 to IEC C14 Power Cable from Infinite Cables: https://lmg.gg/EVwLU

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Very cool video. I would've preferred that the manifold that was cross threaded be replaced instead of silicone though. Isn't that the whole point of having "less janky" videos?

I would also like to see a video of all of the PCs in the loop running cinebench & furmark at the same time and see how much you can raise the temperature. Maybe look at charts for PC temperature and have a probe in the pool with a timelapse?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

haha all this problem have less chance to happen if they did this at the first place but linus did say they prioritize entertaining video instead of project result. so i love this video. its funny, entertaining and make me scared of water cool pc.

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

7 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Isn't that the whole point of having "less janky" videos?

I've seen much more permanent solutions that were far sketchier. Have you ever come across a lighting fixture where every wire was hot, even when the breakers were off? A length of wire was used as a capacitor to drain off enough electricity that the fixture would work, and the ground was hanging loose in the wall...

17 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I've seen much more permanent solutions that were far sketchier. Have you ever come across a lighting fixture where every wire was hot, even when the breakers were off? A length of wire was used as a capacitor to drain off enough electricity that the fixture would work, and the ground was hanging loose in the wall...

Oh don’t get me wrong, this is far less janky than usual. It is also nowhere near as janky as some of the things I have seen. There is just something satisfying about a perfect build. It seems weird to nail everything except for that one thing.

Main Gaming Machine

29 minutes ago, Westingham said:

Definitely want to know what happened to the switch to cause magic smoke to escape.

Its weird how they cut that section, we didn't get to see what he did right before.  It seems he had just plugged it back in.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

34 minutes ago, LstpersonalOF said:

Hey, everyone

really nice video, enjoyed it a ton @jakkuh_t, we would really love to know what happened with linus ubiquiti enterprise 48 switch that caught fire and smoke in the video, since its the first time i have seen a ubiquiti product do that...

29 minutes ago, Westingham said:

Definitely want to know what happened to the switch to cause magic smoke to escape.

We have absolutely no idea why it blew up.  Checked the power cord with a multimeter and it was fine.  Replaced the switch and all has been good.

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We have absolutely no idea why it blew up.  Checked the power cord with a multimeter and it was fine.  Replaced the switch and all has been good.

Is there a chance it got sprayed with water that first time the manifold was tested in the rack?

Main Gaming Machine

23 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

If you haven't sent it back, a look under the hood would be interesting. 🤔

Nice Edison motors hat @AlexTheGreatish

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

He still hasn't learned from Whole Room Watercooling: glycol isn't antimicrobial by itself.  It relies on whatever you're cooling being 100C to be sterile so it's going to be screwed up shortly.

You have a 3d printer and a CNC and that's your manifold situation with silicone holding it together?

I'd have spaced everything out with a 1U gap and put drip trays with drain ports between each machine.  And put a contact sensor on the drain so if water ends up in there you get an alarm.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

pro tip.

simple not allow linus to touch key parts...

that  curse he has.. spreads ......

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

And what about the USB dock fuse? Any shorts popping them instantly? I think I would go over the whole rack to see if there’s anything wrong, both the dock and the switch having issues is quite weird…

3 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

He still hasn't learned from Whole Room Watercooling: glycol isn't antimicrobial by itself.  It relies on whatever you're cooling being 100C to be sterile so it's going to be screwed up shortly.

Not to mention saying "its clean water" then promptly sticking his arm in it adding contaminants.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Can we get a savings breakdown on this setup? Really keen to hear how much electricity/money this has saved them and the true environmental benefit this has! Wouldn't be too tough to figure out either, just a matter of knowing how much the pool would typically consume and how much the PC's consume to discount from the pools heating. Has the pool got standard heating methods beyond the rigs?

Just that smile from Ales alone just tells there is something to come.
Though, would love to see a floatplane bit showing why the switch was so excited it released the magic smoke! Same goes for the USB hub with the fuse. 🙂

I seriously get the feeling that something is off with AC power distribution in that room. Especially the thing with the switch. Simply replacing it and calling it a day is NOT a proper solution. I hope Linus has smoke detectors in that room.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

I hope Linus has smoke detectors in that room.

Me too, I'm not sure if "My house burned down" video is worth it.

I guess that some water did get into other units in the rack. Corroded components can work for a while before they pop.

Anyway, I still don't have good feeling about this solution. 

I'd prefer each computer having its own loop and heat exchanger - it'd add redundancy and the cooling components are not working with higher pressure/flow than what they are build for. Also, one leak wouldn't empty whole loop.

Or at least add some pressure control. And some leak detectors would definitely help with safety. It's a home installation, safety should be on the first place.