My Internet Security just ran out is there any free options?

So my kaspersky Internet security ran out today and was wondering if its worth to re-new it when there is so many free options available?
Thanks for any help! :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/security-essentials-download

That's all I use. just don't go to scammy websites an you minimize almost all risk right there.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Short answer: No, it's not worth it.

IMO if you're someone technology-literate enough to be posting on these forums, you don't need some fancy internet security suite.

I've used a combo of Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ($20, one-time fee) for years now.  Couple that with common sense safe browsing habits and you're set.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Thank you both for the fast reply and help :) 

Microsoft Security Essentials has not been that good in detecting threats as per a recent test from AV Comparitives, so I would not really suggest it. Try the free version of Avast instead which has scored much better.

AV Comparitives- http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/

Hope this helps :)

PC in Profile

I use and recommend AVG. The free version is good and the paid version is cheap but even better. I found avast to be quite annoying.

HTTP/2 203

Off topic but:
"Get Microsoft Security Essentials for the low,low price of free."

Does anyone else see the irony in this? Get this for free, after you paid 100+ euros on Windows and probably 100 more for Microsoft Office or something

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Avira isn't bad, my usual practice is to run MSE, and every couple of months I download a few free AV's and do scans with them just to make sure i've not caught something that MSE has missed, and to be fair i hasn't missed anything in the last few years.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

AVG, it does not impact my pc much, and protects pretty well (except for rootkits, but I have Norton PE for that)

I have been using avast (free) and comodo firewall (also free) for years and as far as i know nothing has yet to penetrate my computer.

the best free internet security is common sense. If that fails try avast.

I would re new the key since it works wonders :) have it on all the computers in my house.

\

Microsoft security essentials is good and lightweight however just that alone isnt good, as it has failed to detect some trojans that malware bytes detected ( personal experience )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Eset smart security(nod32 av) > all

rawr

Not free, but you get what you pay for.

I have a giveaway going. You should apply! Would only take you a couple seconds, and you have a chance at winning an MBAM key!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Microsoft Security Essentials has not been that good in detecting threats as per a recent test from AV Comparitives, so I would not really suggest it. Try the free version of Avast instead which has scored much better.

AV Comparitives- http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/

Hope this helps :)

i would recommend mse more because avast slowed my computer way down to unusable. but the virus detection was outstanding.

• 4 months later...

I know this is posted all the time but what is the best free internet security?

You can link me to one of the many topics or answer this it is up to you...

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Dude just.. look.. it.. up

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Dude just.. look.. it.. up

Because I want to know what all of you guys think...And this is something I have no idea about :( And I am helping a friend so I want this to work right :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

In the time it took you to post that..

You could have Googled it and searched the forums.

Don't be lazy.

Yes I just got to that understanding sorry :(