EU opens investigation into X (twitter)

EU opens investigation into X

Quotes

The European Union has opened an investigation into X - the social media platform that was known as Twitter - over the possible spread of violent content and hate speech, after the Hamas attack on Israel.

The probe - the first under the bloc's Digital Services Act - will also look into whether there have been other breaches linked to illegal content and disinformation, and the way complaints are handled.

X was ordered to provide its answers this month.

Earlier, X said it had taken down or labelled tens of thousands of pieces of content. It is estimated that more than half a billion are posted each day.

My thoughts:

I am glad that the EU is taking action. This situation with X.com has been an ongoing problem for this year. April (12/04/23) James Clayton from the BBC interviewed Elon on this topic; however James didn`t appear to have done his research beforehand and made a fool of himself. In terms of X, I have also had similar experiences of seeing unnecessary gore and violence on Twitter, such as dead women, children and soldiers, and plenty of misinformation. which is not nice, so I tend to stay off X.com. The same thing has happened, but this time, the EU has seen it.

(based on my own experience of using Twitter (x.com)

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-67073970

image.thumb.png.c983812684827ac373743215925ab4a4.png

7 hours ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

Update:

New article published with more details

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67097020

image.png.cebe5b9d55e0fcd16d64cd4a1ff1733b.png

Thing is, how should the news be reported? We cannot simply bury our heads in the sand. What goes on has to be reported, but who is right depends on perspective. Let’s take my own country for instance. Until a couple of years ago abortion was legal in all parts of the UK except Northern Ireland. What was considered misinformation in Northern Ireland was not in the rest of the UK where that particular subject was concerned. So even in the same country, things often get confusing.

While the sights of war are abhorrent, unless we know what is going on and why we have no way of helping prevent further escalation or repeats of mistakes already made. 

Guess terrorist groups recruiting through twitter and spreading their execution for everyone to see only becomes a problem when someone they don't like becomes che owner of the platform.

I wonder where was the EU for the entirety of the 2010s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Well it's quite obvious twitter is in violation of EU rules, it was just a matter of time.

23 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Guess terrorist groups recruiting through twitter and spreading their execution for everyone to see only becomes a problem when someone they don't like becomes che owner of the platform.

I wonder where was the EU for the entirety of the 2010s

The difference is if/when action is taken to remove the content and whether the platform actively promotes them. "New" twitter has actively reinstated accounts that were previously banned specifically for these reasons.

44 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Thing is, how should the news be reported? We cannot simply bury our heads in the sand. What goes on has to be reported, but who is right depends on perspective. Let’s take my own country for instance. Until a couple of years ago abortion was legal in all parts of the UK except Northern Ireland. What was considered misinformation in Northern Ireland was not in the rest of the UK where that particular subject was concerned. So even in the same country, things often get confusing.

Opinions are of course subjective, this is about factual reporting. You can say "abortion access is good" or "abortion access is bad", but you can't say "abortion clinic doctors eat fetus remains for dinner" when it's a demonstrably false and inflammatory statement. So no, this would not be considered misinformation in one place but not in another; opinions are fine as long as they are clearly identified as such.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Guess what: If you want a platform that prioritizes free speech you also get some hate speech. I think it's funny how they try to create an internet where everyone lives in his bubble without any negative thoughts whatsoever. And there is always a problem if any political entity is trying to censor a certain kind of reporting.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

The difference is if/when action is taken to remove the content and whether the platform actively promotes them. "New" twitter has actively reinstated accounts that were previously banned specifically for these reasons.

And old twitter wouldn't even touch them and let them be, just like their high defense for pedo content

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

-= Moved to GD =-

Tech News Must have a strong relation to technology. Because they use X doesn't make it tech news.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have seen plenty of disinformation from both supporters of isreal and supporters of palestine...i wonder which side kicked the EU into gear and will they be investigating the disinformation on both sides of the coin?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Nothing unexpected from eks it's an forefront of world degeneracy, same like some other sites that gained normified popularity.

But number of users I've seen on eks with very questionable takes, bios, let alone their following drones, scary. These people walk among you daily.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

30 minutes ago, Arika said:

I have seen plenty of disinformation from both supporters of isreal and supporters of palestine...i wonder which side kicked the EU into gear and will they be investigating the disinformation on both sides of the coin?

As someone living in the EU, so far it seems like the media HEAVILY supports Israel in this whole thing. It's a very one-sided discussion here.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

OP singled out X and failed to include that Facebook (Meta) is also under investigation by the EU. Tells me the OP has an axe to grind since Elon Musk took over. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

1 hour ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

OP singled out X and failed to include that Facebook (Meta) is also under investigation by the EU. Tells me the OP has an axe to grind since Elon Musk took over. 

well given how the facebook version of this post was locked and closed

On 10/13/2023 at 2:57 PM, Rocketdog2112 said:

My original thread was aimed at what the EU were doing and included both Facebook and X. So from my point of view, I certainly have no axe to grind. If I did I would not be driving a Tesla

5 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

My original thread was aimed at what the EU were doing and included both Facebook and X. So from my point of view, I certainly have no axe to grind. If I did I would not be driving a Tesla

Yes, but your Post title suggests otherwise. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

12 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

The other thread was locked because of hard derail to off-topic and politics. So far this has been fine. You should look the details before making such poor "gotcha" posts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/13/2023 at 1:28 PM, suicidalfranco said:

And old twitter wouldn't even touch them and let them be, just like their high defense for pedo content

I just told you those users were previously banned, many for posting child abuse material... musk personally went through a list of some of the worst offenders who happened to agree with him politically and reinstated them. Whatever accusation of partisanship you could raise at old twitter is 10 times worse right now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Just to add to the excellent response from @LogicalDrm, this is the link to my original thread - 

It is a shame the thread got derailed, that was not my intent. I fully understand why and thank the mods for nipping it in the