What would happen if Google used all their servers and workstations for Folding@Home for 24h?

Let's imagine Google stopped offering the search engine, mail service and all of their other services for one day, just straight up paused it, and used all of their available hardware to run F@H for 24h? How big would the impact for F@H be? Could F@Hs infrastructure even work with the amount of processing power that Google has?

And markets around the world would crash, induced by the fear of the entire internet grinding to a halt.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Let's not forget that google not only have their own core services, but also their cloud offering (GCP), which is responsible for ~10% of the cloud market, so you'd see almost 1/10th of the internet services going down along with it.

I 'd dare to say that AWS would have a bigger impact lol

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

24 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The Internet would grind to a halt almost immediately, and F@H's servers would be overwhelmed soon after.

^ This. F@H has had a hard time keeping up with work unit requests during big folding events put on by the community, they wouldn't be able to serve even a small percentage of the compute power Google has. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

38 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

How big would the impact for F@H be?

Aside from their public facing servers, I would imagine they have a ton of internal compute power. For example machine learning for automated driving, future versions of bard and so on. If we assume the F@H client is compatible with all of these… but since we don't really know what type of resources they have, my best guess would be "huge".

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

58 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Aside from their public facing servers, I would imagine they have a ton of internal compute power. For example machine learning for automated driving, future versions of bard and so on. If we assume the F@H client is compatible with all of these… but since we don't really know what type of resources they have, my best guess would be "huge".

As already mentioned they struggle to keep up as it is, so I don't think it would make any appreciable difference other than making our participation no longer necessary.  The bottleneck is more and more down to funding and staffing at their-end.  They can't just magically ramp up the WU generation.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 hours ago, W1zarDdd said:

If Google decided to use all of its servers and workstations for Folding@Home for 24 hours, it would result in a significant increase in the computing resources available for the project. This could speed up the research and data analysis carried out within Folding@Home and possibly help achieve new scientific discoveries or improve our knowledge of biochemistry and medicine.

Unfortunately completing the WUs quicker, doesn't mean they can process them at their-end quicker.  They frequently run out of WUs when a lot of people are running F@H as its not like the people doing the actual work at the other end are sitting on their hands waiting for our results, they have finite resources to process our results and issue new WUs.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

As already mentioned they struggle to keep up as it is, so I don't think it would make any appreciable difference other than making our participation no longer necessary.  The bottleneck is more and more down to funding and staffing at their-end.  They can't just magically ramp up the WU generation.

So you're saying completely overwhelming F@H's servers is not a huge impact? 😉

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 hours ago, Real_Smoky said:

Could F@Hs infrastructure even work with the amount of processing power that Google has?

No, it couldn't cope a few years back with the massive surge so we actually already know the answer.

13 hours ago, Real_Smoky said:

How big would the impact for F@H be?

Depending on any reliance with Google services F@H itself could stop... so probably not a good idea to stop everything 😉

It sounds good but would be highly impractical. 

I have a few issues with folding. I do find the folding at home movement quite commendable but as someone with a large interest in science I can't say I like the idea of doing it myself. 

But only because I want to be the one doing the science stuff. Folding at home is equivalent to lending a physicist my calculator. I am still not the one doing the work. 

9 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

So you're saying completely overwhelming F@H's servers is not a huge impact? 😉

I guess the fact were able to do that ourselves on Folding month makes me not really consider that so huge.

I wonder if I'm undervaluing my own impact on the project given I can't see that impact other than hitting the top 256 contributors? (I've dropped ranks in the summer though)

7 hours ago, William Payne said:

Folding at home is equivalent to lending a physicist my calculator.

Not a very good example. It is much more complicated.

F@H is a way to give a hand in running the various scenarios for the discovery and proof part of the scientific process. Each WU is not meant to result in the same result it is meant to reveal how a different result, results. Why do the proteins change and what causes it to change? To accomplish this, having a chain of computers run the same thing hundreds to thousands of times helps along the process.

22 hours ago, Real_Smoky said:

Let's imagine Google stopped offering the search engine, mail service and all of their other services for one day, just straight up paused it, and used all of their available hardware to run F@H for 24h? How big would the impact for F@H be? Could F@Hs infrastructure even work with the amount of processing power that Google has?

Beside the others answers given, F@h in the long run is probably better to yield results rather than using super computers or the cloud. Independent pc helps achieve the goal of independent verification of the results.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Waste of time and your energy $ to do this nonsense.

someone show me ONE THING THAT fold has accomplished other than raising the heat and wasting energy

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

4 hours ago, Srius1 said:

someone show me ONE THING THAT fold has accomplished other than raising the heat and wasting energy

You do know science is based on multiple peer-reviewed studies, right?  Its not like Folding will immediately provide all the answers, its a small part of getting a bigger picture that eventually, hopefully, results in something we can actually work with.  It provides data set to work with, that still needs a ton of research on the results to actually achieve anything, but without that data, the research can't happen.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/?lng=en

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7337393/

The project has provided insight into diverse topics, ranging from signaling mechanisms.1315 to the connection between phenotype and genotype.1618 Translational applications have included new means to combat antimicrobial resistance, Ebola virus, and SFTS virus.1921

Also, I only Fold when its cold so while its more expensive than the gas heating, its serving a dual-purpose so well worth the extra cost.

10 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Not a very good example. It is much more complicated.

F@H is a way to give a hand in running the various scenarios for the discovery and proof part of the scientific process. Each WU is not meant to result in the same result it is meant to reveal how a different result, results. Why do the proteins change and what causes it to change? To accomplish this, having a chain of computers run the same thing hundreds to thousands of times helps along the process.

Beside the others answers given, F@h in the long run is probably better to yield results rather than using super computers or the cloud. Independent pc helps achieve the goal of independent verification of the results.

I know exactly what it is for. What I was saying was if I am going to have my computer do scientific work I want it to be my own work.

11 hours ago, Srius1 said:

Producing results to help understand viruses and cancer to make treatments. I cant say off hand which one atm but I am aware this program has done much in producing viable information to the production of treatments for various things over the years.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Let's reduce the scope of this to: 
"what would happen if Google took all their non-critical compute and redirected it at F@H?"

This would look like the laptops and desktops of 300k employees and contractors, a bunch of research systems, etc.

1. A small drop in the bucket for F@H in terms of improvement, assuming their servers can keep up. 
2. You'd be diverting efforts from research.

Realistically F@H is a brute force effort. The big win for protein folding is going to come from smarter algorithms, NOT from more compute. The right algorithm can result in a computer doing 1 billion times the work in the same amount of time. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

For anyone saying they wouldn't have enough processing power because of more processing power: no. these things can fairly certain be scaled up.

for anyone saying this would lead to the almost immediate collapse of the internet and other services/ business with it: Bingo! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 9:01 AM, Mark Kaine said:

For anyone saying they wouldn't have enough processing power because of more processing power: no. these things can fairly certain be scaled up.

The computing can only scale up if the human beings dealing with the results can be scaled up, which needs funding and people qualified to do so.

We've run out of WUs before during LTT folding events due to this.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:30 AM, Eigenvektor said:

Or repurposed hardware from Stadia, the GPU alone is already very spicy per rack 😂

LENNYYYYYYYYY!!!!! WHERE R U BUOYYYYY??????

•  Laptop:
    • Current
      • Spoiler

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 | i5-1335U | 16GB LPDDR 6400MT/s Soldered | WD SN810 1TB NVMe (Win11) | 14 inch 1200p IPS 500 nits panel | Intel AX211 | 65W USB-C PD adapter | Aliexpress DIY Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Heavily modified Lenovo ThinkPad T480 | i7-8550U | 2x 16GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MT/s | Custom FCBGA 595 to Oculink 2.0 @ PCIe 3.0 x4 (using removed nvidia MX150 dGPU pinout) | 14 inch 1080p IPS 350 nits panel | 7 Row classic keyboard mod (from T25) | 512GB Samsung PM981a NVMe SSD (Win10) + 256GB WD SN520 2242 NVMe SSD (Manjaro; on WWAN slot) | Intel AX210NGW | 65W USB-C PD adapter  | Oculink 2.0 to PCIe x16 DIY dock eGPU with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB 

• Workstation:
    • Current - Repurposed as Homelab Dev Server
      • Spoiler

AMD EPYC 9454P 48C/96T | Tyan Tomcat HX S8050 (S8050GM2NE) Socket SP5 | 8x32GB (256GB) Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 4800MT/s RDIMM | Colorful iGame RTX 4080 Advanced OC (windows VM) | PowerColor RX 6600XT Fighter (MacOS VM) | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID 1, Proxmox) | 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (RAIDZ1, VM storage) | Nvidia Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX 25Gb SFP+ PCIe x8 (MCX4111A) | Seasonic Prime TX 1600W | Thermaltake Core W100 case | Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280mm AIO (SP5 Kit) |8x Deepcool TF140S Fan

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2650v3 10C/20T (locked all core 3GHz) | Dell ALienware Area 51 R2 Motherboard (MSi MS-7862) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR enabled) | 4x16GB (64GB) SKhynix ECC LRDIMM 2666MT/s Quad Channel | Colorful iGame GTX 1070 Flame Ares U-TOP | Samsung PM981a 512GB NVMe SSD (Win10) + TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA 512GB (Manjaro) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) |  Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | PowerUp Raptor 1633 case + 6x Deepcool RF-120FS case fan | IndoCase 500W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-500).

• Homelab AIO server:
    • Current - Repurposed as Backup server
      • Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (OEM CPU, got it from AliExpress) | Asus Prime B550-Plus AC-HES | 4x16GB (64GB) Samsung DDR4 3200MT/s ECC UDIMM | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID1, TrueNAS Scale) | 6x Seagate SkyHawk 8TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1; Alhua rebranded drive) | Asrock ARC A380 6GB Challenger OC (Terminal + Transcoding GPU) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC | Deepcool Gammax C40 (dual fan) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800) | Samsung Galaxy S10+ 5G (5G backup uplink for Router VM).

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2695v3 14C/28T (force dynamic turbo all core up to 3GHz) | Huananzhi X99-TF-Q (Q87 chipset) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR & all core turbo enabled) | 4x32GB (128GB) Samsung ECC LRDIMM 2133MT/s Quad Channel | Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 (via M.2 E key riser; for basic display) + Dell GTX 1070 OEM (transcoding GPU) + Sapphire Pulse RX 470D 4GB (MacOS Ventura VM) | 2x Kingston A400 120GB (mirrored; TrueNAS SCALE) + 6x Samsung PM981a 1TB (VM storage; RAID Z1) + 7x WD Purple 4TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) | Alseye M90 CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800).

• DIY Router:
    • Current
      • Decommisioned, current router system is running on current AIO Homelab server as VM (Modemsofmen ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10).
    • Retired
      • Spoiler

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Prebuilt | Intel core i5-4460T | 4x 4GB Samsung DDR3L 1600MT/s UDIMM Dual Channel | 1x Kingston A400 120GB (ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) + Realtek RTL8125 2.5GBe PCIe NIC + Intel i210 SFP PCIe card with Mikrotik SFP ONU module (for WAN, my default ISP modem sucks) + Fibocom L860 4G modem (with USB 3.0 adapter, for WAN redundancy).

• Desk setup:
    • Spoiler

viewsonic VA2732-H 27 inch + VA2215H 22 inch (portrait) 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor | DIY sound system with 2 50W DIY bookshelf speaker | Senheisser HD 600 Headphone | Keychron K1 SE keyboard (Low profile Gateron brown) | Lenovo ThinkLife WLM210 mice | Samsung Galaxy S8+ (used as a Webcam LOL).