Female representation in the LMG & the tech media sphere

LucySpectre
4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

They had to obtain the right kind of internet service. (choose an internet plan)

Wire their home for it. (plug in the diffused lighting poles, usb cables, and mic cables)

Then get the right kind of camera, microphone, computer, GPU and CPU for it. (watch Linus Tech Tips)

WOW, I only just recently came to the forums, but the prevalence of toxic anti-inclusionary opinions here disturbs me and would doubly so were I in LMG's shoes. Why anyone makes someone else's chosen gender / pronouns their own business is beyond me. Leave people alone and go deal with your homophobia and male intimacy issues on your own time. 

The debate about female interest in tech is ridiculous. There's no inherent difference, just compounding influences over time. If you don't get that, I weep for your financial future in not comprehending the power of compound interest. And there's one more MAJOR blocker you're not taking into account: YOU! What woman in her right mind would want to join a community that accepts your views? Dude, get that through your skull. The problem isn't nature, or nurture, or society, it's YOU.

7 minutes ago, Waifu4Life said:

Well that's also true, society are more concern about making them interested in the latest celebrity gossips than technology. Still, if schools did better, I'd probably have more female colleagues today.

It's not just about schools. It's engrained in family life and every day interactions.

Parents will gender-code their children before they're born: Blue for boys, Pink for girls; RC Cars and Tools for boys, Barbie and Easy Bake Ovens for girls; and so on and so on.

Boys will be exposed to "boys will be boys" rough play, while girls are expected to be dainty, and polite.

If girls do anything out of the norm, it will always be with an asterisk "...for a girl"

It's an entire societal problem in Western culture. And this completely ignores the other cultures where women have zero rights and are expected to marry off and be housewives.

Women are playing against the odds before they're born and for their entire life.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

8 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

It's not just about schools. It's engrained in family life and every day interactions.

Parents will gender-code their children before they're born: Blue for boys, Pink for girls; RC Cars and Tools for boys, Barbie and Easy Bake Ovens for girls; and so on and so on.

Boys will be exposed to "boys will be boys" rough play, while girls are expected to be dainty, and polite.

If girls do anything out of the norm, it will always be with an asterisk "...for a girl"

It's an entire societal problem in Western culture. And this completely ignores the other cultures where women have zero rights and are expected to marry off and be housewives.

Women are playing against the odds before they're born and for their entire life.

Then look at those societies.  How many of them will have girls who are into science?  A LOT OF THEM.  They value education, STEM education.  This bizzare idea that only men can be smart ... they don't have that.  To them men rule the roost but even they know a mother is your child's first teacher.  So they don't expect women to be dumb.  (And in most Islamic Iran, Pakistan, Egypt, and Maylasia they have pretty healthy transgender communities).    

Perhaps the downfall of society isn't women or "men who look like women" ... but brutish oafs who are so repellent to women that they fail to reproduce. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Perhaps the downfall of society isn't women or "men who look like women" ... but brutish oafs who are so repellent to women that they fail to reproduce. 

Just when you think humanity has removed itself from the forces of evolution....Life...uhhh....finds away.

1 hour ago, shrimpboyho3 said:

That's the thing, she's trans.

Say what you want, I'm not transphobic, but what's stopping biological men from labeling themselves as women to fulfill quotas of "equality" society is rightly pushing towards.

And no, I don't want to go in an in depth discussion about people being trans. I just want someone to respond to this at face value. Like fr, what's stopping them?

This. If tomorrow Linus came out and said she identifies as a woman, should we all just clap and celebrate LTT as the biggest female-led tech channel? Would all the criticism in this thread magically turn into praise? And "magic" really is at play here, when we pretend reality does not matter.

21 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Let's be honest ... males and females do not share the same interest a lot of the time nor do they think alike. 

Let's set aside the numbers and "interested in tech" debate aside for moment. 

What are your thoughts on how women are chosen to be portrayed in tech media as damsels in tech distress or outright incompetent rather than knowledgable and assertive? 

Rioja Rioja. Reverend Al Green. Deep blue Morocco. The water on stone. The water on concrete. The water on sand. The water on fire, smoke, the wind the salt. The brght boat coming. Dave in the water. Old man Einstein on top of his house. White Deep blue. Andalusia red yellow. Red yellow black car. Red light on a black place walls. Blue chair Morocco. Hamburg Paris.The pieces of the puzzle are waiting.The water of the dark boats. Gliding the bright boats. Gone out to sea and Dave is floating. Dave is floating. And old man Einstein Crazy in his attic.

2 hours ago, shrimpboyho3 said:

That's the thing, she's trans.

Say what you want, I'm not transphobic, but what's stopping biological men from labeling themselves as women to fulfill quotas of "equality" society is rightly pushing towards.

And no, I don't want to go in an in depth discussion about people being trans. I just want someone to respond to this at face value. Like fr, what's stopping them?

Honestly I feel like bringing up trans people (again, no disrespect intended) skews this entire discussion as at one point they identified as the opposite gender.

Nothing is stopping them, except basic human decency and self respect for being what you actually say you are. But I am willing to bet most if not all of us deep down don't really identify with any gender identity. Anyone who is truly free cannot fit into a discreet gender category. That is why I like transexuals: they question what gender identity is and as a result make us all more free. At the very least, thanks to transexuals we are allowed to question our own gender with less stigma, even if we decide we are 100% cis.

4 hours ago, LucySpectre said:

I'll be very clear that this is not a request for representation on the screen to meet arbitrary quotas for the sake of it, so you stop reaching for that pitch fork right now.

This is very important. I am sure we would welcome any talent of any background, but up to the quality that would be beneficial to the content.

6 minutes ago, LucySpectre said:

Let's set aside the numbers and "interested in tech" debate aside for moment. 

What are your thoughts on how women are chosen to be portrayed in tech media as damsels in tech distress or outright incompetent rather than knowledgable and assertive? 

I don't pay attention tbh seeing how I don't watch much tech on youtube. About the only time I watch a tech vid is if something interesting shows up on my youtube homepage but I don't go searching for it.  I'm interested in reviews along with upcoming tech and that usually means Toms Hardware and TechPowerUp ... for myself that is.  

There is only one question worth the asking here.

Are they qualified? Yes or No.

Everything else is irrelevant...

*edit to add, Emily is not in videos by their choice, this was already made known.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Nothing is stopping them, except basic human decency and self respect for being what you actually say you are. But I am willing to bet most if not all of us deep down don't really identify with any gender identity. Anyone who is truly free cannot fit into a discreet gender category. That is why I like transexuals: they question what gender identity is and as a result make us all more free. At the very least, thanks to transexuals we are allowed to question our own gender with less stigma, even if we decide we are 100% cis.

It is almost as if gender identities were developed based upon the identities of the masses... Crazy, I know.

Once again though, I truly don't care about the specifics. I don't care who's trans, who's not, who identifies as an alien, a car, whatever. 

The issue only comes when impossible/unpractical things are proposed/forced upon society under the guise of equality. My point still stands, but sure, I agree with you.

5 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Maybe on another planet but the reality of it is you can't expect others to believe a lie. I could identify as a kangaroo but that doesn't mean others should be forced to believe I'm a kangaroo.

I would also like to add. If you wish to discuss Emily, there is already a dedicated topic on this. Please go there to discuss.

*Correction the emily thread is locked, I forgot about that... Nevermind.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

There is only one question worth the asking here.

Are they qualified? Yes or No.

Everything else is irrelevant...

*edit to add, Emily is not in videos by their choice, this was already made known.

Their? I believe she is a she. Unless you mean she did not make the choice.

Also, no. It's not just about qualifications. It's about the X-factor too. A female perspective on problem-solving, a female perspective in what it's like for women to get into the tech world, etc. Sure, men can figure it out, but it's the difference between native and emulation. If all that matters is your qualifications, then your list of requirements suck.

3 minutes ago, TempoRamen said:

This is very important. I am sure we would welcome any talent of any background, but up to the quality that would be beneficial to the content.

That is the crux. Deliberately getting female talent in this area that is up to LMG standards of quality would be difficult and likely command a high price. But that market force of labor cost is another way to drive back to equilibrium. If companies are paying top dollar for talent in a certain type, the market will provide.

4 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Their? I believe she is a she.

Also, no. It's not just about qualifications. It's about the X-factor too. A female perspective on problem-solving, a female perspective in what it's like for women to get into the tech world, etc. Sure, men can figure it out, but it's the difference between native and emulation. If all that matters is your qualifications, then your list of requirements suck.

Lets not go into semantics and word twisting, their is not gender assigning word use and neither was intent by me. 

If a pilot is not qualified they dont get to fly the plane, unless you prefer the quick landing. 😐 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Lets not go into semantics and word twisting, their is not gender assigning word use and neither was intent by me. 

If a pilot is qualified they dont get to fly the plane, unless you prefer the quick landing. 😐 

I think you should apologize for misgendering a person. Not cool.

This explains it: https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/using-gender-neutral-pronouns-could-actually-misgender-people.html

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

If a pilot is ot nqualified they dont get to fly the plane, unless you prefer the quick landing. 😐 

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that transistors and microchips don't care about the chromosomal composition of whoever is working on them. No more than a 787-900 does.  

Sadly it seems awful lot of people who watch ltt do. 😞 

2 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

When did I ? Their is a correct grammatical word for how i used it. last i checked I used their chosen name. 

If you are going to be cynical then I ask you to stop and reflect on your actions and behavior before it gets you in trouble.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

That's not how that works.  

Also you're new here.  Probably don't wanna mess with a moderator. In fact I I'm taking a 50/50 chance by saying that that they won't you know reprimand me for saying that.

When did I ? Their is a correct grammatical word for how i used it. last i checked I used their chosen name. 

As an external expert transgender person II think you are correct.

Read this: https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/using-gender-neutral-pronouns-could-actually-misgender-people.html

When someone is a she, you don't call her decision "their" decision. That like saying she is not  a she, it's a them. That's misgendering.

1 minute ago, Electricity Taster said:

Read this: https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/using-gender-neutral-pronouns-could-actually-misgender-people.html

When someone is a she, you don't call her decision "their" decision. That like saying she is not  a she, it's a them. That's misgendering.

Er no. I understand grammar just fine and have been using it for longer than you have [probably] been alive.  And that is an opinion article.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that transistors and microchips don't care about the chromosomal composition of whoever is working on them. No more than a 787-900 does.  

Sadly it seems awful lot of people who watch ltt do. 😞 

Yeah but I'm pretty sure about 50% of your potential audience does care if you use a male opposed-binaries ontology of nature to compare one processor vs another to declare a winner or if you take a more feminine approach and talk about how each processor might excel at certain tasks. You don't see the problem because the very requirements have the male perspective baked into them. So yes, of course gender doesn't matter if all you're doing is reviewing transistors, but who decided that only reviewing transistors is the correct thing to do?

Er no. I understand grammar just fine and have been using it for longer than you have [probably] been alive.  And that is an opinion article.

Please tell me more about how you understand a grammar prescribed to you by white cis males.