Female representation in the LMG & the tech media sphere

LucySpectre
6 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Please tell me more about how you understand a grammar prescribed to you by white cis males.

So now your stance is to go run incircles? telling to not misgender using a word that was never a gender word before the last 3yrs and now you want to assume I am white and a male? Have we met that I am not aware? 

*edit. this conversation isn't worth my time, its clear you're not ready to have an adult conversation involving logic. My reply on their was even agreed to... even by Utta... to whom we have extremely rare instances of agreement.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Why_Me said:

I really hope that post is sarcasm.

20 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

If a pilot is qualified they dont get to fly the plane, unless you prefer the quick landing. 😐 

I assume you mean *isn't qualified*. What qualifications are there for being a tech host when they're backed by a team of writers and engineers? The only ones I can think of is genuine enthusiasm for tech and good on screen presence. 

Honestly, this makes me very concerned coming from a mod / forum staff, especially given the warning a few posts back not to take issue with the mods. Should a mod even be expressing an opinion in a thread like this rather than guiding the debate towards civility? Perhaps indicative of some of the larger issues being raised across LMG? 🤨 

Anyway, I'll be there one to say that's it's time to take a chill pill on the pronoun debate. Everyone here clearly intended no harm. Let it go.

Just now, Electricity Taster said:

Only in clown world is misgendering a thing. You're either XY chromosomes or XX chromosomes.

2 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Only in clown world is misgendering a thing. You're either XY chromosomes or XX chromosomes.

Yeah lets disregard people with Down's syndrome and other trisomies while we're at it. Answer this question: when a man gets a breast augmentation, why do you see that as a female feature? Especially given the fact that men have nipples that are capable of lactating.

5 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

I hate to break it to you, but LMG and Linus himself disagrees. If you can't accept that, you're in the wrong corner of the Internet.

13 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

I assume you mean *isn't qualified*. 

I already corrected the error.. refresh, but thank you for pointing it out. 👍

13 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

I assume you mean *isn't qualified*. What qualifications are there for being a tech host when they're backed by a team of writers and engineers? The only ones I can think of is genuine enthusiasm for tech and good on screen presence. 

Honestly, this makes me very concerned coming from a mod / forum staff, especially given the warning a few posts back not to take issue with the mods. Should a mod even be expressing an opinion in a thread like this rather than guiding the debate towards civility? Perhaps indicative of some of the larger issues being raised across LMG? 🤨 

Anyway, I'll be there one to say that's it's time to take a chill pill on the pronoun debate. Everyone here clearly intended no harm. Let it go.

Qualify can mean several things, but my take was, qualified to do the job they were being hired for. It doesn't matter if they are male, female or other, as long as they are qualified to perform the job they are hired for, OR that they have aptitude to learn said job they are being hired to be trained for. Entry level jobs are for hiring to be trained. Jobs requiring to hire qualified and experienced people need to have qualifications that fit the job being hired for. I hope this helps to clarify my meaning.

As a former COO myself when I hired, my main goal was to hire the right person for the job, not to hire based on sex or racial factors. Anyone imo that believe someone should be hired based on sex or racial factors should not be in the position of hiring.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

36 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

There is only one question worth the asking here.

Are they qualified? Yes or No.

Everything else is irrelevant...

*edit to add, Emily is not in videos by their choice, this was already made known.

Yea .. nah. 

This ain't it. 

Not at all. 

We're talking about how women are represented here. 

Two prime examples of how LMG chooses to represent women building PCs are Yvonne's sister and Madison. Incompetent and unknowledgable. Leave it to the techy boys to fix your tech problems girls! 

Now look at the two thumbnails and titles of Sarah building a PC with LTT. Seriously. It's literally a point in case. It announces that girls shouldn't build PCs and if they do, they make it look pretty. 

This is the issue at hand. Not whether or not they are "qualified" enough to appear. 

girls r dumb.jpg

Rioja Rioja. Reverend Al Green. Deep blue Morocco. The water on stone. The water on concrete. The water on sand. The water on fire, smoke, the wind the salt. The brght boat coming. Dave in the water. Old man Einstein on top of his house. White Deep blue. Andalusia red yellow. Red yellow black car. Red light on a black place walls. Blue chair Morocco. Hamburg Paris.The pieces of the puzzle are waiting.The water of the dark boats. Gliding the bright boats. Gone out to sea and Dave is floating. Dave is floating. And old man Einstein Crazy in his attic.

11 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

Their is linguistically correct for all genders, sexes, and number of persons (singular they and plural their, known and unknown) in English.

There are many languages that do not have gender pronouns at all Finnish being one most people at least know of classically in english speaking countries. Am I to assume that all of finland, estonia, hungary, and to lesser extends the mandarin speaking populations, taglog, and koreans are just all upset at being misgendered as they either do not have functional gendered pronouns, or have an all encompassing situational pronoun like "they" such as what taglog has"?

I am too honestly.  There seems to be a large influx of people of the last few days caring to weigh in on subjects that I am not sure are being made in good faith.

What happens in other languages is irrelevant, especially when you take into consideration that English is a descriptivist rather than a prescriptivist language. Languages evolve to suit cultural needs, not the other way around. Would you like me to refer to you as "them" rather than "him" while I refer to all other males in the room using "him"? It's discriminatory, and me calling it out is not me acting in bad faith. It's you who is acting in bad faith by trying to smear my name.

1 minute ago, Electricity Taster said:

What happens in other languages is irrelevant, especially when you take into consideration that English is a descriptivist rather than a prescriptivist language. Languages evolve to suit cultural needs, not the other way around. Would you like me to refer to you as "them" rather than "him" while I refer to all other males in the room using "him"? It's discriminatory, and me calling it out is not me acting in bad faith. It's you who is acting in bad faith by trying to smear my name.

No one is smearing you, only correcting you. I suggest you settle down some.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

I hate to break it to you, but LMG and Linus himself disagrees. If you can't accept that, you're in the wrong corner of the Internet.

Who cares?  Meanwhile I choose to live in the world of reality.

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

No one is smearing you, only correcting you. I suggest you settle down some.

I quote:

"There seems to be a large influx of people of the last few days caring to weigh in on subjects that I am not sure are being made in good faith."

Why are you trying to make me look like I am unsettled? Why get into ad hominems?

10 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Yeah lets disregard people with Down's syndrome and other trisomies while we're at it. Answer this question: when a man gets a breast augmentation, why do you see that as a female feature? Especially given the fact that men have nipples that are capable of lactating.

I could get tattooed with tiger stripes and have a tail put on me by surgeons but it doesn't make me a tiger.

Who cares?  Meanwhile I choose to live in the world of reality.

1_gUtP0H_A4x0Q-ZlmTykg4g@2x.jpg

I could get tattooed with tiger stripes and have a tail put on me by surgeons but it doesn't make me a tiger.

Has anyone argued otherwise?

10 minutes ago, LucySpectre said:

Two prime examples of how LMG chooses to represent women building PCs are Yvonne's sister and Madison. Incompetent and unknowledgable. Leave it to the techy boys to fix your tech problems girls!

2 women appear in a video to learn about tech who aren't as familiar with it as you are, and it's some man's fault? Did it ever occur to you that these 2 women aren't paid actors, and really just have an interest in tech and being around it? Then wonder, who is the one discouraging other women from the stem fields? Maybe the one calling them incompetent and unknowledgeable.

1 minute ago, castlev said:

2 women appear in a video to learn about tech who aren't as familiar with it as you are, and it's some man's fault? Did it ever occur to you that these 2 women aren't paid actors, and really just have an interest in tech and being around it? Then wonder, who is the one discouraging other women from the stem fields?

You've got this all updside down and inside out. 

Take a deep breath and read the post again.

When they hell did I mention stem fields?!?  

Rioja Rioja. Reverend Al Green. Deep blue Morocco. The water on stone. The water on concrete. The water on sand. The water on fire, smoke, the wind the salt. The brght boat coming. Dave in the water. Old man Einstein on top of his house. White Deep blue. Andalusia red yellow. Red yellow black car. Red light on a black place walls. Blue chair Morocco. Hamburg Paris.The pieces of the puzzle are waiting.The water of the dark boats. Gliding the bright boats. Gone out to sea and Dave is floating. Dave is floating. And old man Einstein Crazy in his attic.

27 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

Honestly, this makes me very concerned coming from a mod / forum staff, especially given the warning a few posts back not to take issue with the mods. Should a mod even be expressing an opinion in a thread like this rather than guiding the debate towards civility? Perhaps indicative of some of the larger issues being raised across LMG?

So a mods aren’t allowed to express their own opinions? They should be robots who only have preprogrammed responses?

there is nothing varnic said that wasnt civil, the responses to varnic however have been less so. But mods also are not allowed to moderate threads they are personally active in.

the mods also arent lmg staff, they are volunteers, the issues going on with lmg have nothing to do with the forum mods

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Qualify can mean several things, but my take was, qualified to do the job they were being hired for. It doesn't matter if they are male, female or other, as long as they are qualified to perform the job they are hired for, OR that they have aptitude to learn said job they are being hired to be trained for. Entry level jobs are for hiring to be trained. Jobs requiring to hire qualified and experienced people need to have qualifications that fit the job being hired for. I hope this helps to clarify my meaning.

As a former COO myself when I hired, my main goal was to hire the right person for the job, not to hire based on sex or racial factors. Anyone imo that believe someone should be hired based on sex or racial factors should not be in the position of hiring.

I get where you're coming from and in most roles I would agree. However, media and especially on camera roles muddy these waters significantly since who the person is becomes part of the finished product. For example, you wouldn't cast Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for the role of Belle in The Beauty and the Beast, no matter how qualified he was or how well he auditioned (unless you're having some serious fun. See: Broadway Backwards). So, I think (and the US Supreme Court has upheld) that taking gender, race, and other protected statuses into account when making a casting decision is perfectly valid when that suits your artistic and editorial intent. So, that's the suggestion here. That the artistic and editorial intent of LMG move toward including more female representations in tech content. 

Granted, that makes this an artistic debate rather than a logical one, but I'm curious if there is an artistic objection to the suggestion.

8 minutes ago, Arika said:

So a mods aren’t allowed to express their own opinions? They should be robots who only have preprogrammed responses?

there is nothing varnic said that wasnt civil, the responses to varnic however have been less so. But mods also are not allowed to moderate threads they are personally active in.

the mods also arent lmg staff, they are volunteers, the issues going on with lmg have nothing to do with the forum mods

Just covering my rear since I'm new here and someone had JUST issued a warning that made it sound like the ban hammer might be used to settle a debate. 

That said, I've been a forum mod before (not here) and I would not weigh in on non-forum policy debates as a matter of principle. If there's even a perception of mods abusing their power, that's a big problem.

And yes, I have a disagreement I wouldn't expect to have with a mod around a topic relevant to the current events and that makes me concerned. We'll see how it plays out. 

Edit: I didn't get smacked for a "personal attack", so I think we're cool.

1 minute ago, Omnipius said:

Just covering my rear since I'm new here and someone had JUST issued a warning that made it sound like the ban hammer might be used to settle a debate. 

That said, I've been a forum mod before (not here) and I would not weigh in on non-forum policy debates as a matter of principle. If there's even a perception of mods abusing their power, that's a big problem.

And yes, I have a disagreement I wouldn't expect to have with a mod around a topic relevant to the current events and that makes me concerned. We'll see how it plays out. 

Yup. A user told me to be careful debating mods and a mod told me to "settle down". Sure, that mod might not be able to ban me, but all it takes is to call a friend mod over, so it's really no different.

13 minutes ago, Arika said:

Which responses to varnic have not been civil in your opinion? Can you give specific examples and make your case?

4 minutes ago, Electricity Taster said:

Which responses to varnic have not been civil in your opinion? Can you give specific examples and make your case?

Yours.

hyperfocusing on the use of the word “their” as some intentional misgendering, being generally antagonistic by trying to draw out an apology and then reverting to 

Would you like me to refer to you as "them" rather than "him" while I refer to all other males in the room using "him"?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Arika said:

Yours.

hyperfocusing on the use of the word “their” as some intentional misgendering, being generally antagonistic by trying to draw out an apology and then reverting to 

I need a specific example, not a generalization that literally uses the word "generally". And if you are accusing me of being antagonistic, make your case, as I believe it is justified to be opposed to a trans-discriminatory attitude. Don't confuse a good refutation with hostility.