Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

45 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's also been well over a year since she left? There's legal authorities in BC she could have gone to if she felt slighted about the situation. She's made the terrible decision to cause LMG to have to respond legally.

Well if she felt threatened, going for legal advice wouldn't be of much help since LMG being a large company with a lot of power could just mean losing a lawsuit to a company, although I'm not sure how the legal system in Canada compares to how it can be in the US.

Also LMG managed to make it look like a non-issue and like they weren't to blame for more than a year, though unfortunately it is a legal issue now and LMG has to reply to this now, however LMG denying this in the first place doesn't look good if this is true.

49 minutes ago, xg32 said:

just zoomer things, i honestly wouldnt be surprised if she had proof, even if what she says is true, notice how alot the things are workload related and not even offenses

I disagree in this "just being zoomer things"  given that other LMG staff have complained the work pace is too fast and want to slow down, GN went over that in their first video IIRC.

5 minutes ago, Polderviking said:

Sweatshop might be a bit of a stretch, but in their own "what it's like working for ltt" bit that has been quoted to death in the Gamers Nexus topic there are a lot of complaints about a lack of time for quality.

It's pretty obvious there's a work pressure issue.

I get "work pressure" after 5 years in the Navy and 20 years in health care being understaffed, I understand. Some people are not cut out for it. It's not a knock on them, everyone deals with it in their own way.

3 minutes ago, joaopt said:

i think it's just sad no one of the co-workers that witness this crap come forward to back her up. I know everybody has to pay the bills, but someone was seriously suffering and for real hurt herself and it could have ended much worst.

It's reasonable, there is not proof of anything yet, moreso, there is past evidence that Linus isn't that type of person, as indicated when Naomi Wu's allegations surfaced.

This really makes me question if there's a reason why there are so few female employees in LTT...

This font is amazing.

10 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

I still overall believe that Linus is a good guy. I have seen enough of his hot takes on WAN that I feel I understand him pretty well. After everything in the past couple days I am definitely second guessing myself and will be reevaluating my opinion of him. That said what he has created is definitely a monster and it's no wonder he stepped down. If all of this is true then he had far less control than I think even he was aware of. I actually would not be surprised if he was unaware of any of this or believed the wrong person in what ultimately would have been an internal he said she said between her and the management reporting on her.

Really hope Terren can turn things around and implement proper HR and stuff so that if this is true it NEVER happens again.

I have the same opinion as you as well.

I was really annoyed about the bit where Madison claimed Linus asked her to change her priorities when her brother passed away. I was pretty annoyed at how someone could be so heartless. But then I remembered my CEO from an ex-startup I worked in. He used to be such a good person I saw him devolve into a heartless monster, especially when it came to lower employees. I think our system of capitalism just forces one to become like that in order to keep up. So I have my sympathy for Linus. I do not know the solution. But it is a good learning exercise. If I were to ever start my own company, I will keep all these things in mind

And for Terren, I feel so sorry for him. I'm sure he must've had a thought about what cursed moment he decided to accept the job

6 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I hope GN releases another video to address Madison’s experience

As well as a vid from Louis Rossmann

Like, jfc, how irresponsible and shitty could Linus be? He needs to be order a leave of absence by the new CEO among many overhauls to staffing and company practices.

GN are not posting videos without proof... and Madison's "whatever story/lie/experience" is not tech related and so far unsubstantiated and if you watch his videos he post them based on facts/proof not "hearsay"

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I have the same opinion as you as well.

I was really annoyed about the bit where Madison claimed Linus asked her to change her priorities when her brother passed away. I was pretty annoyed at how someone could be so heartless. But then I remembered my CEO from an ex-startup I worked in. He used to be such a good person I saw him devolve into a heartless monster, especially when it came to lower employees. I think our system of capitalism just forces one to become like that in order to keep up. So I have my sympathy for Linus. I do not know the solution. But it is a good learning exercise. If I were to ever start my own company, I will keep all these things in mind

That is another thing to consider. Linus has so many employees, many of whom he has never actually talked to, and some that he has gamed with for literal years and never knew they were an employee. I am not defending Linus here. But I can see how it could happen.

2 hours ago, Godiwa said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA

HER: The number of daily items the Social media role at the time was expected to fill was incredibly high.
ALSO HER: I was expected to post 3 tweets, 2 Instagram posts, and 2 TikToks minimum per day.

So... that's like 2 minutes of work per day... I can really feel the burden now...

HER AGAIN: I was also expected to plan, film, edit, and post 2 Floatplane exclusives per week.

Aaah so now there is an actually workload there... So 2½ days per short video clip? Not like she were making feature length clips or anything...

WTF should all those solo youtubers out there say that does 5+ videos a week alone? and edit it themselves to because they are not rich enough to hire an editor? should they take a few sick days so they can go shoe shopping and drink lattes or should they just do their job?

You must think it's easy to come up with actual engaging content for social media. You have no clue what it's like.

4 minutes ago, yoc said:

This really makes me question if there's a reason why there are so few female employees in LTT...

Ever been in a computer science lecture? It's not specific to LTT.

12 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

I don't think that 90% of Linus ribbing employees in videos is real.  Men rib each other.  That part is ok.  Where I really saw signs of abuse of power was when Linus told the audience that there's a rule against the audience knowing the name of a newer hire.  That new hires are on probation.  Ouch.  Abusive stuff.

A few things:

I don't think the Billet story was such a big deal.

Linus had a lapse of judgement, and the company was disorganized, everyone will forget it. He's not in charge anymore etc.

And maybe Steve managed to put pressure on them to make more accurate videos. That's a GOOD thing.

But this is a problem. It's a media group, their appeal is mostly that people have parasocial relationships with them. People LIKE them. Think of them as friends.

But it sounds like upper management was limitlessly cruel and allowed their employees to follow suit.

It's un-Canadian!

And that's not even touching the sexual harassment that wasn't dealt with either.

Ouch.

Men often treat young women amazingly badly. I know a few who have the worst attitudes you can imagine.  And that's not even counting the nerds who came on to her. I don't understand men and I'm a man myself!  And I don't think we don't want to face how common it is. 

This story will make people very uncomfortable.

Not sure if you're just trolling at this point, but here's another PoV:

Couldn't you have imagined that the "probation" is also in the interest of said new employee? Idk if you've ever worked in a normal company, but at least in EU you typically have a 3~6 month "test period", and that benefits both parties.

Almost always it is encouraged during the test period to just focus on the work, to see if you're a good fit. To not make it super public in social media etc etc. Because if it turns out that the employee is not a good fit, his/her reputation might also suffer a hit. Or at the very least it might be very awkward.

And when LMG does this, keep in mind that everything is 100-1000 or perhaps even 10 000 times more amplified compared to a normal company.

Actually, now I digress. But would love to hear why you think that "probation" or testing period (or whatever the heck would be a fair term for it) is such a bad thing?

21 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

You think it has anything to do with these threads? Surely not??

If you read the entire conversation I had with the guy you would understand why I said it, the guy claimed that the worse she would recieve is a bit of hate for going to the police / sueing the guy so I used that guy as a reference.

2 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

GN are not posting videos without proof... and Madison's "whatever story/lie/experience" is not tech related and so far unsubstantiated and if you watch his videos he post them based on facts/proof not "hearsay"

So you dont know either but you are happy to call it a whatever story or a lie.

Just now, bvvfbQsy5DmWyzTwcSLMWCMYYS said:

Not sure if you're just trolling at this point, but here's another PoV:

Couldn't you have imagined that the "probation" is also in the interest of said new employee? Idk if you've ever worked in a normal company, but at least in EU you typically have a 3~6 month "test period", and that benefits both parties.

Almost always it is encouraged during the test period to just focus on the work, to see if you're a good fit. To not make it super public in social media etc etc. Because if it turns out that the employee is not a good fit, his/her reputation might also suffer a hit. Or at the very least it might be very awkward.

And when LMG does this, keep in mind that everything is 100-1000 or perhaps even 10 000 times more amplified compared to a normal company.

Actually, now I digress. But would love to hear why you think that "probation" or testing period (or whatever the heck would be a fair term for it) is such a bad thing?

It's a power play.

If you were just hired, you know your position is precarious.  You know you're being judged.

If something thinks he has to rub in the obvious in every conversation and make a bunch of rules about it to remind you, he's trying to widen that power gap and make you even more powerless.

2 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

We just don't know, it is very wise to be skeptical, same thing happened in Johnny vs Amber case, both ended up being just assholes to each other when there were legions of people unconditionally believing each party.

15 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Wrong, it is always innocent until proven guilty, that point is obviously an if-else case, depending on how the Lawsuit develops one side or the other will win the public opinion, most recently see the lawsuit involving Amber Heard and Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp is an exception. Amber demonstrably lost her marbles. That definately helped his case.

Public opinion doesn't always follow the results so astutely.

Justin Roiland's things have been dropped, carreer still dead. Till Lindemann isn't even beeing concretely sued yet and people allready call for the cancellation of everything Rammstein. Kevin Spacey's carrer was over before subsequently beeing acquitted of everything. Some news outlets even actively suggest he should "remain cancelled" despite court results.

Just now, Ottoman420 said:

you do know what the / mean right? I am not to judge WHAT it is...and neither are you since you know nothing about it.

If she has ANYTHING... she can go through court... not Twitter...
If she has NOTHING... she can stfu... not Twitter...

Do you know what happened? No
Do I know what happened? No

Can it be a lie? Yes
Can it be a story? Yes
Can it be true? Yes

Do you know? No
Do I know? No

Should I call it "true story"? No
Should I call it "a lie"? No

So I listed a string of options... then people can choose which one that fits in their little narrative...

Being brutally honest, given some of the responses posted in this thread, there are definitely people here who would be a good fit for LMG, it seems.

Calling someone’s testimony unreliable because of their poor mental health, when the literal cause of that is what they’re testifying about, is stupid beyond belief. As is the belief that someone can just hire tens of thousands of dollars worth of legal representation to get justice.

Frankly, LMG, and tech in general, still primarily attracts… let’s call it people with not much experience of the opposite sex. Get a whole workplace full of people like that, and add someone of the opposite sex, and yeah. This is frankly not surprising, unfortunately.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

well done all, we have resolved all world problems. Lets tell the the truth we came here to fight with other humans and not help anyone. Your not going to change anyones mind here, poeple have come to say what they think, not hear what you do

Just now, Godiwa said:

you do know what the / mean right? I am not to judge WHAT it is...and neither are you since you know nothing about it.

If she has ANYTHING... she can go through court... not Twitter...
If she has NOTHING... she can stfu... not Twitter...

Do you know what happened? No
Do I know what happened? No

Can it be a lie? Yes
Can it be a story? Yes
Can it be true? Yes

Do you know? No
Do I know? No

Should I call it "true story"? No
Should I call it "a lie"? No

So I listed a string of options... then people can choose which one that fits in their little narrative...

Ok its just that you catagorized it as a lie or story off the bat that i said that, Its true neither of us know and some of the allegations are serious and people are calling her "fame hungry" or whatever.

Just now, Ottoman420 said:

Ok its just that you catagorized it as a lie or story off the bat that i said that, Its true neither of us know and some of the allegations are serious and people are calling her "fame hungry" or whatever.

you totally ignored the "experience" was in there too... but whatever

4 minutes ago, David_Campbell said:

well done all, we have resolved all world problems. Lets tell the the truth we came here to fight with other humans and not help anyone. Your not going to change anyones mind here, poeple have come to say what they think, not hear what you do

I have changed people's mind on a few things and people have changed my mind on a few things. Just cause some of the people here are arguing in bad faith doesn't mean everyone is.

I hope I don't need to mention the whole #MeToo movement that happened a few years ago. There were actual sexual harassment cases so were fake accusations. We have this inherent biases that whenever a woman/girl accuses of sexual harassment it must be true and we become judge, jury, and executioner without giving a chance for the other side to represent their case. We don't have to reiterate how many innocent lives have been destroyed because of this. 

Sexual harassment in the workplace is an existing, real, and damming issue. There is no denying the fact that this is a very serious issue that happens daily in many workplaces. I can also understand why someone might be scared to come out against higher-ups. If someone has been subjected to sexual harassment she/he should go to the proper authority about it and file a case against whoever is responsible. And we should wait for the investigation to be completed before jumping the gun. 

While I understand what Madison is saying, we should not come to a conclusion before a proper investigation. And she should file a case instead of making a Twitter thread, that should be the priority here. This is not about flawed testing or auctioning a prototype. This is way more serious than that. She is essentially accusing several persons of misconduct and sexual harassment. If found true this will finish their career and they may end up in jail. And if this is not true it will just finish their career and that will also be equally bad. We all know about the Depp v. Heard case. 

In the end, I would say that we should not dismiss Madison's accusation also at the same time we should not believe it until a proper investigation. 

1 minute ago, Nathat23 said:

Ever been in a computer science lecture? It's not specific to LTT.

Hm, yes? I have a major in computer science.
What LTT publishes has nothing to do with computer science, I mean, it is a youtube channel focused on entertainment (Linus' words, not mine).  LTT videos don't go that deep into stuff anyway (which is fine).

This font is amazing.

Abusing and harassing women in a workplace should be met with criminal charges and prison, who are you to touch her inappropriately in a workplace no less... I was just watching a show about a guy trying to free himself from an abusive company and I never thought LMG would be the perfect real-world adaptation of that show.

Something I feel like a lot of people in this thread are missing is that these allegations are not necessarily directed at Linus himself. Being in upper management, I'm sure he probably is involved in at least a small way, but it's very possible most of this has to do with other people at the company.

Both attacking and defending Linus at this stage is just rampant fanboyism on both sides of the aisle.