Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

1 minute ago, RWxAshley said:

This isn't my full thoughts, but can I ask one simple of thing of people in this thread?

Can people stop aligning issues with LTT/LMG to mean Linus was personally involved in all the issues being levied against the company.

Not only does Linus need to stop taking any criticism of LMG as a company personally. The entire community needs to stop taking criticism of LMG as a company personally.

I certainly agree that Linus’s control over what happens at LMG is far weaker than it used to be, and probably a lot weaker than he expected before this week. I’d imagine he’s utterly devastated at some of the stuff that has come out.

However, he has been named on several occasions as being part of the problem. Madison took her concerns to him directly and he brushed them aside. He is the one who said ‘I can’t justify spending 500 dollars of someone’s time to retest this properly’ and he is ultimately the one who put out the original response which, personally, I feel was far worse than the things he was responding to.

Whilst I don’t believe he knew the full extent of what has been going on, he is not innocent. He has been a part of this and needs to own part of the responsibility.

2 minutes ago, restokin said:

I don't understand why the CEO hasn't stepped up to deal with this publicly. 

It's only been a couple of hours since it was posted.

1 minute ago, JnKTechstuff said:

I've logged into my account for the first time in 5 years just to say some of you are disgusting. I did not know any of you to be working for the company so who are you to question someone coming out with a story from abuse. Seek help

Same honestly. 

“She should have said something sooner”

This entire thread is filled with the exact thing she was fearful of. People blaming her and trust Linus and Co, despite everything pointing at this being very likely true

7 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

There is a long train of evidence including the glass door review, and the work related stuff has been corroborated by other former members of LMG staff saying the place is intense.

This has not been through a court of law so it is not proven to have happened, but the fact is that the evidence we do have points in favour of Madison.

Isn't that glass door thing a website where whoever can post anonymously to? I am not trying to act dumb, I honestly don't know.

But if it is so. How is that different from Twitter or Forums, or Reddit? Or whatever? How is that evidence?

47 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

I don't think that 90% of Linus ribbing employees in videos is real.  Men rib each other.  That part is ok.  Where I really saw signs of abuse of power was when Linus told the audience that there's a rule against the audience knowing the name of a newer hire.  That new hires are on probation.  Ouch.  Abusive stuff.

Only abusive stuff would be any personal attacks towards those persons. But having them unnamed and blurred is for protection of both parties. This policy has been in place since "The Big Move" in 2015. Back then, they had gig worker to help out. They appeared in couple of videos, maybe their position was addressed once. After the move was done and he was no longer appearing in the videos, viewers got angry and speculative. 

Thats the background for the policy. There's also another part of it. Only two persons in the history of the company have been hired to specifically appear in front of the camera (maybe more if we count Madison and the current SM team). Those would be Riley and Jonathan. The rest, especially editors and camera people are not supposed to be in videos. In older media, for example any review shows on TV, camera people or other production crew are rarely if ever shown on camera. You only know their names from credits. So having them hidden is following same logic too. If you call that abusive, I expect you to treat other media in same fashion.

28 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

It's a power play.

If you were just hired, you know your position is precarious.  You know you're being judged.

If something thinks he has to rub in the obvious in every conversation and make a bunch of rules about it to remind you, he's trying to widen that power gap and make you even more powerless.

Are you familiar with Canadian worker laws? I've been told that Canada is close to European standards when it comes to worker protection. Meaning that you can't fire employee without heavy reasons. Granted, in this case fact that she was young and in experiences, and possibly didnät have anyone to ask for advice about (things that are taught in schools here and told you at first day of your new job).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

For those who have floatplane should head over there, it may awsner some questions. Not about Madison, but evyerthing else.

57 minutes ago, Super_goose_007 said:

That is why this "we don't need a union" thing is so off-putting. Maybe there's a reason they exist? This is so obviously the "everybody is a good guy" syndrome, so how could my staff ever suffer some injustices? A union has representatives, to where you go to get help, without getting the management involved. It's not a personal thing, it is a system made to follow certain regulations and procedures so that there is no room for "hurt feelings" or "wait, how can I do wrong, as I am the good guy?". 

An employee is at such a disadvantage to the employer, that's why there are unions, so the staff can have their wishes/demands/questions discussed in a safe setting, without needing to be singled out as "a bad apple" by the management. That's why unions work. 

Unions exist to steal your money. Neither I nor many of the people I talk with, working at different companies have seen any benefits from being in a union. Only wasting money.

7 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

What actually matters is that it gets to be a good place to work.  A truth and reconciliation commission is less important. 

Truth is very important in that. Without transparency LMG can continue to lie and once this drama dies down and fans start supporting them again there won't be anyone willing to speak up. We need to know how bad the situation is if it is ever going to improve.

4 minutes ago, JnKTechstuff said:

I've logged into my account for the first time in 5 years just to say some of you are disgusting. I did not know any of you to be working for the company so who are you to question someone coming out with a story from abuse. Seek help

What if you are a person, whose career has been destroyed by fake allegiations? If you can not empathize with such a person at all, you too should seek help.

2 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

I certainly agree that Linus’s control over what happens at LMG is far weaker than it used to be, and probably a lot weaker than he expected before this week. I’d imagine he’s utterly devastated at some of the stuff that has come out.

However, he has been named on several occasions as being part of the problem. Madison took her concerns to him directly and he brushed them aside. He is the one who said ‘I can’t justify spending 500 dollars of someone’s time to retest this properly’ and he is ultimately the one who put out the original response which, personally, I feel was far worse than the things he was responding to.

Whilst I don’t believe he knew the full extent of what has been going on, he is not innocent. He has been a part of this and needs to own part of the responsibility.

"he brushed them aside"

Do you have proof of this? Does anyone have proof of this?  Is it not in the realm of possibility that he may of looked into this or tasked someone to look into this and there was not solid proof found besides an allegation? 

2 minutes ago, DaytonaDragon said:

Unions exist to steal your money. Neither I nor many of the people I talk with, working at different companies have seen any benefits from being in a union. Only wasting money.

I've had the opposite experience. There are unions that give their members have infinitely better lives than what non-unionized workers toil under.

4 minutes ago, Kravatie1 said:

ohh

orIjsjH.png

It's watchable on YT right now, so stop arguing for now peoples. XD

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Well it is take out your trash day isn't it?

Listen I'm not a woman. I'm not going to pretend to understand what it feels like to be harassed as a woman, especially not in a sector dominated by men.

However I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to feel or react to something like this. My initial reaction is to say you should have a lawyered up when be initial harassment took place and made it right for yourself. But I understand it's not that easy and a take like that can come across as insensitive. 

However this is one person saying something. This is one person's take on the situation. 

If the situation that is played out like Madison has described here I truly hope those involved at LMG have been fired. I hope that leadership at LMG has taken responsibility and made an example out of those responsible. 

Other than that though I'm not sure what my reaction should be. I'm not responsible for the actions of others. I understand that a handful of people don't represent a majority. 

I wish there was a way for Madison to make this right for herself. I believe that way is most likely through the legal system. If she has a legal case I encourage her to pursue it.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Doaky said:

This is a terrible take. “Let’s just say nothing because of fans brigading” bro you just said “completely ruin her”

get fucked. 

She's saying the company violated BC Law, as far as I can read it.   In a late night Twitter thread, while the company is already in a negative PR environment. While knowing there are Government-run legal remedies to the negative actions against her and not taking them.

She fired a legal shot at LMG and they'll be forced to respond in kind. Gee, it's almost as if the response might actually ruin someone if they're not completely buttoned up in their accusation. 

There's a reason I keep repeating you don't start late night Twitter threads.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

It's watchable on YT right now, so stop arguing for now peoples. XD

na it'll still trigger someone

2 hours ago, iAxX said:

Might be too late for that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the CEO just quit. 

• Conflicts of interest with ASUS/Noctua
  • Linus lying about his interactions with Billet
  • Linus being completely tone deaf in his response and turning the YT tech community against him
  • The labs team apparently being incompetent and losing all credibility
  • Ignored workplace sexual harassment and bullying

And it's only Wednesday. 

The only one I will contest is the second point. Given how tone deaf Linus was it was CLEARLY a very reactionary response. He didn't talk to anyone and he didn't take proper time to make sure it was a good response. I wouldn't be surprise if the lying was negligence where he THOUGHT he had the facts straight but didn't spend enough time checking (much like his videos) 

I'm listening. It's gonna be a lot about yesterday's thing.  Probably nothing about this.

1 minute ago, Kravatie1 said:

na it'll still trigger someone

My teacher once said : Those who wants to be triggered will be triggered

Anyway, just putting out the info that it's watchable on YT now.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

I'm listening. It's gonna be a lot about yesterday's thing.  Probably nothing about this.

They wouldn't have known about the Madison issue by the time the video was done.

Also, does anyone seriously think there's going to be anything but lawyer responses to what Madison wrote?

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They wouldn't have known about the Madison issue by the time the video was done.

Also, does anyone seriously think there's going to be anything but lawyer responses to what Madison wrote?

Yes.

LMG isn't really a business.  It's a star system like old Hollywood. 

If they don't care about us braying masses, they're out of business!

6 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

Being brutally honest, given some of the responses posted in this thread, there are definitely people here who would be a good fit for LMG, it seems.

Calling someone’s testimony unreliable because of their poor mental health, when the literal cause of that is what they’re testifying about, is stupid beyond belief. As is the belief that someone can just hire tens of thousands of dollars worth of legal representation to get justice.

Frankly, LMG, and tech in general, still primarily attracts… let’s call it people with not much experience of the opposite sex. Get a whole workplace full of people like that, and add someone of the opposite sex, and yeah. This is frankly not surprising, unfortunately.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Exactly, people denying the testimony because of mental health is stupid, because Madison is saying working at LMG affected their mental health. And if what they're saying is true it doesn't really surprise me given that LMG feels the need to put sexual jokes way too often in too many of their videos,  it has me wondering how much they talk about sex jokes off camera.  And yeah people are missing the point of taking legal action costs money, or the possibility of LMG suing them which would probably bankrupt most people.

The tech space doesn't seem to work well with the opposite sex and I think thats a problem that needs to be addressed, and IMO Linus needs to allow employees to form a union without threatening to fire them over it.

1 minute ago, bvvfbQsy5DmWyzTwcSLMWCMYYS said:

What if you are a person, whose career has been destroyed by fake allegiations? If you can not empathize with such a person at all, you too should seek help.

My god, there are no fake accusations. Madison has not accused anyone. So you argument is literally in a vacuum.

The longer I follow the discussion, the more I feel like that there is a cult-like reaction by the community to any criticism. The community is turning into a toxic mass of devoted fans suppressing any other opinion. And the last few days have been a good example.

I've been supporting LTT for 7 years. That stops today. This company can go bankrupt for all I care. It's already morally bankrupt anyways.