Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

2 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

This is PR 101. He made a statement. It was shit. Why would Linus bring it up in a video that gets millions of views when the story will die in a couple days?

Because his response was childish. But I completely understand why he doesn’t. Unlike others he has the brains to at least partially keep his mouth shut

Just now, tech.guru said:

After 9 months and numerous emails pretty obvious. The fact no one cared to even check ownership before auctioning it off also obvious.

You dont need a confession look at the actions that took place.

There is just no way that there is any explanation for the series of events other than the most vile and despicable, therefore Linus, who certainly wasn’t directly involved in the conversation at all until the GN video, should be burned at the stake

/s

1 minute ago, Wasabi.jp said:

Redoing (or doing it right, like it is suppose to be done the first time) is the only valid answer.
We do not watch the video to know if Linus think it is overprice (maybe for you it is, maybe for me it is not), we are here to know if the cooler is doing the job or not under the maker's limitation (correct use, correct GPU etc...)

I agree that "shooting a video is so nice, we did it twice!" should not be the answer. Having good data before filming and editing should be the standard. If the Lab can't keep up then the release schedule needs to be adjusted to accomodate proper qualification and data acquisition.

Price as a function of, well, functionality is important for most working members of the audience. I will probably buy something if it strikes a balance of cost and performance and I can justify the purchase. Linus is not the average customer these days, so his opinion of what is overpriced or not should have some market analysis behind it (i.e. what is the average MSRP for similar items and how reviewed item performs in relation to them).

Just now, Waifu4Life said:

You didn't answer the question.

You can call him if you want.

Seems like people are not happy with Linus' response. The comments are also full of people with thoughts on specifically the Billet Labs situation.

image.png.1dfd8afed0bd5d5c75614b13bf357bed.png

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

I still can't believe there hasn't been a response from Linus. I am starting to get really worried.

He made one, in this thread, its pinned above.

its pretty bad however and GN responded to it covering why it wasn't a great reply.

however no reply has been made since that.

You can call him if you want.

You're still not answering the question.

3 minutes ago, Pemalite said:

"Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPI's for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it..."

Basically he just said that the entire god damn community is at fault. Not him or his team.

Has he possibly thought that those "new checks and balances" are ineffective?

Is the community at fault? If the communitys at fault then its on people to notice stuff better. If its on him then yeah its on him and hes just dunked on his own community/fans.

He shouldn't have said that at all though. Just focus on entertainment and don't put LTT Labs in the spotlight until its ready imo.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

This is probably going to be my only post in this thread.

I have worked in broadcast and IT departments.

I have done news projects were there was almost no turn around time so using old data/research is pretty normal.

Even heard a story about a mil reports like that with nsa work just slapped on.

Now that waterblock yes it was a bad idea. I have seen stuff that shouldn't go to people that have (test Chromebooks, old previous issued Chromebooks) but a auction for a prototype that's alot of people changing hands that could have questioned it it's amazing.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, Dangerbone said:

I agree that "shooting a video is so nice, we did it twice!" should not be the answer. Having good data before filming and editing should be the standard. If the Lab can't keep up then the release schedule needs to be adjusted to accomodate proper qualification and data acquisition.

Price as a function of, well, functionality is important for most working members of the audience. I will probably buy something if it strikes a balance of cost and performance and I can justify the purchase. Linus is not the average customer these days, so his opinion of what is overpriced or not should have some market analysis behind it (i.e. what is the average MSRP for similar items and how reviewed item performs in relation to them).

If Linus has significantly more disposable income than the average user, shouldn’t his assertion that that something is overpriced maybe even imply more?

3 minutes ago, Pemalite said:

"Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPI's for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it..."

Basically he just said that the entire god damn community is at fault. Not him or his team.

Has he possibly thought that those "new checks and balances" are ineffective?

based on how he talks about the lab on the wan show, he legit thinks the lab is good lol.

So far i've seen nothing at a professional level thats benchmark related, they have problems with their base test methodology 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

3 minutes ago, RandomDude843 said:

223 pages, damn. Since we are still discussing this, what would you guys feel if they post a video saying “we have fired the employee responsible for the auction mistake and we have updated our processes. We are sorry blabla”

Would this be better than minimizing the situation and covering it up?

That would make it so much worse. If you don't get why, try to think about how we got here in the first place.  It's not a single mistake from a single employe, it is a systematic problem. 

3 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

While LMG is a large organization, the levels of utter incompetence to have a prototype auctioned off is mind-boggling.  At any places I previously worked, if we found an error like this the first thing would be personally calling them and apologizing and making sure they knew that they would be fully compensated.

With that said, we wouldn't ever even get to that place.  The items were supposed to have been returned weeks earlier; so someone had to royally mess up there.  Then someone has to mess up in not asking, are we allowed auctioning this.  Then they mess it up even more by emailing and not responding back immediately.

Well I mean no one would think that it's "worth" the money...but RGB also is an utter waste when you look at performance (And I'd much rather pay less for things without it).  The fact is essentially trashing it by saying it's performance is terrible kills any potential market they are going for (ones that want the looks, but without really sacrificing things).

The general issue though is the refusal to change, or at least it appears that way.  In one of their videos they talked about Infinite Cables and how they were essentially surprised at how cheap the cable was for the quality you got...the problem they said it was below $1000, even joking that they were looking at the invoice...but it was a $5000+ cable.

Mentioned it in the comments and on the forum board and nothing.  Asked about not really disclosing relationships with Toyota, and Linus' response was essentially that they don't have to.

LMG just doesn't seem to really learn.  How many times has Linus leaked important things on the WAN show earlier on by not using a different laptop; despite being the size where they could have easily just had one laptop that would be dedicated for the WAN show.  Lots of apologies it seems for not essentially doing good enough.  At a certain point, addressing the concern is pointless if no proper actions are taken.

I recently had something of a minor blow up with a family member because they weren't realizing the severity of an issue, when it could have gotten really bad if not dealt with. (Thankfully, it actually turned out to be very minor, but the lack of massive flashing Red Lights in their head was a huge issue.)  That's basically the biggest issue with the Billet Labs CPU Cooler prototype.

The video was bad as a review. I found it funny as "Linus and crew show why you should RTFM" video, though I think I closed it before the conclusion.  But everything from there just screams complete and total systematic failures.

How'd they lose the 3090 Ti that was sent with it?

How does it not end up in a box for shipping, with label but waiting on other stuff?

How does the LTX crew, looking for silent auction items, come across it in the first place?

LTX made a custom little sign for the item for the auction, how did no one ever check if this might need to be returned?

When someone finally responded to Billet on August 10th (was it Adam?), how was either Nick Light or Linus not informed?

How did no one in leadership know about this on the 11th?

What story was spun to Linus after the video dropped and he had to contact Billet? (Pretty sure Linus doesn't work Mondays, right?)

Why is Linus downplay the issue in his post when this is a blatantly obvious problem?

I made a comment in this thread a bit before Linus' post saying they needed to contact their lawyers. That Billet is willing to take a check is a solid thing, because LMG had civil and criminal liability with this event. As someone on Reddit pointed out, the cooler was likely sent through customs with no duty, making it non-sellable in Canada and a tax code violation to have done so. Another issue to add on top of that.

It goes to reinforce the issues that have been there with LMG for a while. They might have just coalesced into this whirlwind of terrible decision making, but basically everyone in the entire company has some liability for these problems.  Some of this stuff is just basic communication. 

3 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

There is just no way that there is any explanation for the series of events other than the most vile and despicable, therefore Linus, who certainly wasn’t directly involved in the conversation at all until the GN video, should be burned at the stake

/s

Nobody worth taking seriously has said burn him at the stake. But to pretend there's not a very serious set of issues that ended up in selling off another company's property is absurd.

1 minute ago, wfrank said:

Seems like people are not happy with Linus' response. The comments are also full of people with thoughts on specifically the Billet Labs situation.

image.png.1dfd8afed0bd5d5c75614b13bf357bed.png

We know those stats aren’t very reliable but it doesn't even matter, all those downvotes count as viewer engagement just like upvotes do and all those comments could say Linus should go fuck himself with a Buick and all it does is drive more traffic to the video due to the algorithm.

Am I the only one that finds it humorous that a bunch of people joined this forum just to climb on this train

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

1 minute ago, Waifu4Life said:

You're still not answering the question.

Its a stupid question. Deserves no answer.

@trollmode off

I don't care if steve is right

I don't care if LMG is a Fire tornado continaing rabbid cyborg sharks on methamphenime 

I don't care if LMG or GamersNexus ceases to exist tomarrow

what I do care about is when people manipulate Facts and Play Dirty Pool 

Steve took advanage of what was a shitty but resolvable situation and blew it up into a massive issue knowing full well that, @LinusTech can not keep his mouth shut when it really matters and he did so for personal gain.

then he turns around and proclaims his Intergity from ATOP his Glass High Horse 

steve, when you do that I stop caring about any "valid" points you might have because clearly the truth is not what you are after. 

and now Seemly we Have Bilitlabs who where initally completely radio slient now trying to throw gasoline on the embers

if it was such a problem they should have been the ones to come foward. 

god knows if they are being completely honest because at this point I don't trust any of the 3 parties involed here

heres some more assumptions

LTX was likely the catalyst for setting this whole thing off 

it was likely part of the delay about getting the block and gpu back to them initally tho I don't understand why lmg just didn't buy them a new 3090 and send them on  there way 

who ever is working in logistics they either need a full time logistics manager or they need to fire the one they have because hes clearly not doing his job

@linus employees are not your friends and its not your job *anymore* to take responcablity don't be afraid to fire people bros before hoes gets you in this kind of hotwater 

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

based on how he talks about the lab on the wan show, he legit thinks the lab is good lol.

So far i've seen nothing at a professional level thats benchmark related, they have problems with their base test methodology 

They give a disclaimer before any labs data they present that it is still a work in progress. 

It’s shitty, but all the investment in Labs has to cash flow. The burn rate for cash on the labs has to be massive with all the real property, logistics, and staff involved so they have to start monetizing it asap. It sucks but it is a business reality.

1 minute ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

If Linus has significantly more disposable income than the average user, shouldn’t his assertion that that something is overpriced maybe even imply more?

Perhaps it should, but giving context to a normal viewer who may consider a $300 purchase as somewhat extravagant may be important too.

Its a stupid question. Deserves no answer.

It's actually a very smart question and you know it, that's why you're refusing to answer it because you'll either be painted as a liar or or someone who presents his theories as facts.

2 minutes ago, Shin-Gouki said:

Am I the only one that finds it humorous that a bunch of people joined this forum just to climb on this train

I may not post many times, but I was here a couple weeks ago fixing my laptop, and thanks to the advice I got, a laptop that has had overheating issues since I got it is now perfect.

I've repasted it so many times, but it took a phase-change sheet to make this loser of a design work properly. 

4 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

Nobody worth taking seriously has said burn him at the stake. But to pretend there's not a very serious set of issues that ended up in selling off another company's property is absurd.

I see a rather large difference between a mistake due to logistics incompetence (not Logistics as in the specific team at LMG but logistics generally) and intentional malice, which is how it is being treated here.

5 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

We know those stats aren’t very reliable but it doesn't even matter, all those downvotes count as viewer engagement just like upvotes do and all those comments could say Linus should go fuck himself with a Buick and all it does is drive more traffic to the video due to the algorithm.

I am not a youtube engineer, but surely downvotes would bury a video, not raise it up...