Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

But everything from there just screams complete and total systematic failures.

How'd they lose the 3090 Ti that was sent with it?

How does it not end up in a box for shipping, with label but waiting on other stuff?

How does the LTX crew, looking for silent auction items, come across it in the first place?

LTX made a custom little sign for the item for the auction, how did no one ever check if this might need to be returned?

When someone finally responded to Billet on August 10th (was it Adam?), how was either Nick Light or Linus not informed?

How did no one in leadership know about this on the 11th?

What story was spun to Linus after the video dropped and he had to contact Billet? (Pretty sure Linus doesn't work Mondays, right?)

Why is Linus downplay the issue in his post when this is a blatantly obvious problem?

Hard agree with everything but especially this part. Lot of people here are willing to blame Linus and even some who are willing to claim that this was done maliciously despite a clear lack of evidence. Not enough people here are asking these types of in depth questions about all the various stages of this disaster where it could have been prevented. There were so many opportunities for this go in any other direction but the fact that it got to this point means LMG's systems and procedures failed at every possible stage. How did no one catch this?

4 minutes ago, Shin-Gouki said:

Am I the only one that finds it humorous that a bunch of people joined this forum just to climb on this train

Truth be told, I joined this fourm 100 years ago, but I couldn't remember the email or login as it was long before I was using lastpass or 1password, but I did rejoin with a new account to comment.

The lack of self awareness in the public social media channels and forums by Linus is staggering.

Lets call it for what it is, what you got as a response from Linus, is him, in the purest form.
THIS is who he is, and explains much as to why he is not the CEO anymore beyond "not a good fit"

Absolutely. Linus, absolutely. that you would make a statement like that and not consult your social media director
Your marketing director and or anyone else before posting THAT statement is the sort of arrogance that sets companies on
fire like the "Artisan builds" fiasco.

Welcome to the drag. and you brought it all onto yourself,  and now what do you do?.
If this is not your primary topic on the WAN show, Then you are going to make it worse,

Oh gods.. so much worse. You need to sit down with your head of social media and craft
a well worded plan to address this. IMMEDIATELY. And you had better come on the show 
with "Your hat in your hand" and apologize .. OR, you take the full brunt of lost revenue that
will follow you for months.

Own it .. or the social media sphere will eat you alive.

7 minutes ago, RandomDude843 said:

223 pages, damn. Since we are still discussing this, what would you guys feel if they post a video saying “we have fired the employee responsible for the auction mistake and we have updated our processes. We are sorry blabla”

Would this be better than minimizing the situation and covering it up?

Nope, really the damage is already done, when Linus essentially tried spin doctoring it.  Now had Linus not posted that, but instead came out saying that they will disclose more, and change up things like having a dedicated checker then they in my opinion could have saved it maybe (if they actually followed through with it quickly)

Linus and LMG has shown to not really be trustworthy and lack the integrity to do things like simple disclosures.  The billet and Linus' response is the last straw for me.

The fact is they can't even say they fired an employee, as there clearly is a systemic issue within the company that all spurs from how Linus has essentially been running it.  Sure, there are probably policies that weren't followed in this...but had any of the management been doing their jobs adequately they should have spotted this as a growing concern.  Like it's not a single employee who messed up here, it had to have been multiple employees and multiple management

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Alright, let's wrap this shit up by 12pm EST tomorrow.

Gn said they peace. Linus said his. Let's move on to some new toxic stuff!

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

15 minutes ago, RandomDude843 said:

223 pages, damn. Since we are still discussing this, what would you guys feel if they post a video saying “we have fired the employee responsible for the auction mistake and we have updated our processes. We are sorry blabla”

Would this be better than minimizing the situation and covering it up?

if we are focusing on the original issues.

Lab guy calling out GN/HUB: i don't like calling for anyone to be fired, but i think a public apology is required since reputations is at stake

Billet labs: paying for the prototype that was sold. looks like most want an apology for this too

testing accuracies: " we have blah blah at the lab and throw X amount into it", personally i dont think they'll ever get it right. I'd be happy if proven wrong.

Shilling for asus: there's no good answer here.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I am not a youtube engineer, but surely downvotes would bury a video, not raise it up...

That is 100% not true. Depending on the current algorithm at the moment YT either totally ignores down notes or treats them as engement just like an upvote. Posting a poop emoji is the same as a long thought out comment too

22 minutes ago, Waifu4Life said:

It's actually a very smart question and you know it, that's why you're refusing to answer it because you'll either be painted as a liar or or someone who presents his theories as facts.

we judge actions everyday for motive and intentions.

Like if someone raises and points a gun... you assume that person may have the intention to shoot you. It gives police probable cause to fire and kill the suspect.

The person doesnt need to yell 'im gonna shoot' his actions demonstrate that intention when he raises the gun and points it.

Your argument is dumb and stupid sorry.

As an Engineer myself, I can understand that errors and/or mistakes happen.
Don't judge a company for the errors but look at how they respond to critique! 

Instead of gaslighting, take ownership and make the necessary changes to minimize these kinds of errors and mistakes.

48 minutes ago, silentdragon95 said:

Nobody holds Linus accountable personally for the auctioning of the prototype. LMG is a large organization and he most likely had no idea that any of this was going on.

I hold him personally accountable because he's running the business and I'm pretty sure he had his hand in organizing the auction.

And I really don't buy this whole excuse of LMG being a "large organization" because it's not like EVERYBODY in it is engaged in everything. So, yeah, they may have over 100 people but how many are actually dealing with partners? A few at most. 

Somebody was responding to those emails from Billet Labs. Somebody was in charge of the block. And yet somebody then took it and auctioned it off. How many people could have been involved, realistically?

3 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

Hard agree with everything but ESPECIALLY this part. Lot of people here are willing to blame Linus and even some who are willing to claim that this was done maliciously despite a clear lack of evidence. Not enough people here are asking these types of in depth questions about all the various stages of this disaster where it could have been prevented. There were SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES for this go in any other direction but the fact that it got to this point means LMG's systems and procedures failed at every possible stage. How did NO ONE catch this?

The worst part of the entire cycle, to me, is the email chunk GN posted in the second video. How you do send that email response to anyone?  That's a text message to a decade+ buddy about BS, not a work email about someone's very expensive product that you just found out was sold at an auction. What mental gyrations must have happened where a jokey email, after it clearly took some time to track down what happened to the cooler, happens rather than the new CEO sending an apology and a request to sort out the issue.

6 minutes ago, xg32 said:

if we are focusing on the original issues.

Lab guy calling out GN/HUB: i don't like calling for anyone to be fired, but i think a public apology is required since reputations is at stake

Billet labs: paying for the prototype that was sold. looks like most want an apology for this too

testing accuracies: " we have blah blah at the lab and throw X amount into it", personally i dont think they'll ever get it right. I'd be happy if proven wrong.

Shilling for asus: there's no good answer here.

The lab guy just made a fool of himself.  I'm sure Steve's whole audience just laughed at that point.  

The most important equipment is the brain.

I SO doubt he's Steve's equal.  And no one believes that LMG, of the "doing the test right would cost money!" fame is doing more tests than GN anyway.

And Steve's equipment isn't particularly lacking given that he has a tighter focus than Linus' lab.

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

I hold him personally accountable because he's running the business and I'm pretty sure he had his hand in organizing the auction.

And I really don't buy this whole excuse of LMG being a "large organization" because it's not like EVERYBODY in it is engaged in everything. So, yeah, they may have over 100 people but how many are actually dealing with partners? A few at most. 

Somebody was responding to those emails from Billet Labs. Somebody was in charge of the block. And yet somebody then took it and auctioned it off. How many people could have been involved, realistically?

They should have said “nobody with a shred of common sense” rather than “nobody” which would have left room for you.

6 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

With all due respect, while I agree there is nothing more to be said about this until Linus, Steve, or Billet make another statement, this isn't over.

The Billet Labs situation seems to be getting resolved so there is no issue there but we are still lacking 2 things.

1. We need to know how this happened in the first place. A proper explanation of how this happens will show that LMG is actually aware of how this complete system failure occurred.
  2. We need a path forward on what the plan is to prevent this from happening again.

Once we have that I will personally consider this resolved. An apology won't do it, and ignoring it until it goes away certainly won't do it.

1 minute ago, JoshuaScholar said:

The lab guy just made a fool of himself.  I'm sure Steve's whole audience just laughed at that point.  

I SO doubt he's Steve's equal.  And no one believes that LG, of the "doing the test right would cost money!" fame is doing more tests than GN anyway.

And Steve's equipment isn't particularly lacking given that he has a tighter focus than Linus' lab.

The Labs guy was right. They plan to rerun all the comps every time, which no one, including GN, is doing. Steve himself has said they should rerun the comp tests with upgraded drivers but they won’t bother. You don’t even know the labs guy’s name, let alone his CV, so obviously you are a great source of who is reliable and who isn’t. Steve and GN have fucked up their fair amount of stuff too.,

9 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Is the problems fix yet?
If it was a normal business, at this stage, I will not trust them anymore.

1 minute ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

The Labs guy was right. They plan to rerun all the comps every time, which no one, including GN, is doing. Steve himself has said they should rerun the comp tests with upgraded drivers but they won’t bother. You don’t even know the labs guy’s name, let alone his CV, so obviously you are a great source of who is reliable and who isn’t. Steve and GN have fucked up their fair amount of stuff too.,

Without throwing anybody else under the bus.

I'll let you know if I ever Trust LMG's hardware analyses over Steve's.

Don't hold your breath!

2 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

I SO doubt he's Steve's equal.  And no one believes that LG, of the "doing the test right would cost money!" fame is doing more tests than GN anyway.

Any laboratory technician, scientist, or engineer that balks at spending money on doing a test correctly should hang up the smock and find a different line of work.

Leave the money to the bean-counters in finance and management, just focus on getting valid results from proper testing procedures.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

What mental gyrations must have happened where...

I love this phrasing. Not even good enough to do gymnastics in your head. Have to resort to gyrating to come up with your bad thought process.

It's much worse than that IMO.  Lots of people noticed problems with their data a very long time ago but never said anything and/or didn't really care enough to write the wall of text necessary to backup their claim. After GN's video, people won't be scared anymore (eg. look at the content of this thread) to call them out for it. If they decided to not fix their shit, the top comments on every single video is gonna be people pointing out the corrections all over the videos and/or problem with the lab's work.

Just now, mikaelus said:

Without throwing anybody else under the bus.

GN sold me and thousands of other people a defective product and refused to fix it so they threw me under the bus for one

2 minutes ago, plume said:

It's much worse than that IMO.  Lots of people noticed problems with their data a very long time ago but never said anything and/or didn't really care enough to write the wall of text necessary to backup their claim. After GN's video, people won't be scared anymore (eg. look at the content of this thread) to call them out for it. If they decided to not fix their shit, the top comments on every single video is gonna be people pointing out the corrections all over the videos and/or problem with the lab's work.

You're right!

LMG DID inherit a problem from this that I didn't notice.

They actually HAVE TO CLEAN UP THEIR ACT.

You better do it LMG!

Edited by JoshuaScholar

GN sold me and thousands of other people a defective product and refused to fix it so they threw me under the bus for one

Did they rectify it in any other way?