Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, mikaelus said:

Did they rectify it in any other way?

He rectified it as much as he could afford to.

He sent everyone embroidered dream catchers or something with a corrected pin out on it, and other pin outs that weren't on the original.

You had to laugh.  No one was going to forget to check their pin-out dream catcher!

Hello. Redid my account because i dunno my old password but anyway

https://www.osler.com/en/resources/regulations/2023/trending-towards-transparency-british-columbia-passes-pay-transparency-legislation#:~:text=The key requirements of the,related information to other employees

They don't list salaries on their jobs page which is.. bad. And considering the handbook leak (which may or may not have been changed since), it's even more oof.

image_2023-08-16_081129510.png

It's sad but not surprising that LMG is not pro-union. 

Unions almost aren't a thing in modern business.

We all need 1000x more class consciousness.

other then following up on some reply comments on reddit.

my network getting ddos atm. i switch on cloudfire service.

Fantastic(big /S)

Am going to play a game or two. eat . then bed .

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

39 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

The lab guy just made a fool of himself.  I'm sure Steve's whole audience just laughed at that point. 

There are different types of intelligence, it happens that someone smart in a domain makes a poorly worded statement, like Linus said, Lab guy wasn't hired for PR statement (luckly). Linus acknoweldged it was poorly worded, and people moved on.

It was clearly something that had been going on for a long while, it was simply the match to lit the fuse. And I don't think it's an existential threat to LMG. Linus' answer was highly suboptimal (to say the least) as well.

The heart of the issue is that LMG is an entertainment first company that prioritize speed over accuracy, and Linus is trying to reposition to a review company. I see it as the growing pains of the change, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Gaining accuracy will require changing internal processes at LMG, lowering the videos/man hour manufactuted and the profit margins, and the results will take years to achieve. Trust takes time to build. GN and HU have spent years of high accuracy and integrity to earn their trust as accurate reviewers. It's not something you buy with a one off seven figure purchase.

17 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

I do feel if GN gave LTT a phone call they would have done everything they could to correct it.

I don't think so. In the WAN show Linus stated openly that doing the Billet review right wasn't worth 500 bucks.

The focus is speed, get something out fast. If it proves inaccurate, you can add a post or reupload. It's certanly the move that gives the best efficiency in videos manufactured per man hours.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Istill can't believe there hasn't been a response from Linus. I am starting to get really worried

It's actually the correct move.

When a big allegation pops up, at most you say: "we are looking into things and will give a well thought out answer once the facts are fully understood".

The reason is simple: If something went wrong, it means there is something wrong somewhere in the pipeline. First you pin down what's wrong, otherwise your answer might be tone deaf (like Linus answer). The LAST thing you want to say, even if true is: "Yup. Things went wrong by design, because it would be too expensive to get them right."

19 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

I hold him personally accountable because he's running the business and I'm pretty sure he had his hand in organizing the auction.

And I really don't buy this whole excuse of LMG being a "large organization" because it's not like EVERYBODY in it is engaged in everything. So, yeah, they may have over 100 people but how many are actually dealing with partners? A few at most. 

Somebody was responding to those emails from Billet Labs. Somebody was in charge of the block. And yet somebody then took it and auctioned it off. How many people could have been involved, realistically?

Agreed.. as head of, you are accountable for all actions, that is part of the job, that is also on a site (again i can only talk for here in DK) if you have an accident, maybe with a death involved, the CEO or owner, or top dog, will often end in a police inquiery and be responsible, there are often "manslaughte unintentionally" (not sure if that is the right translation) automated, put on that person, until you can be freed of negligence.. but you start as a "suspect". 

The same if i hit somebody with a car, even though i had NO chance, i will also automatic be put under a charge for killing that person.

I think the hate towards GN is wierd, he puts light on a problem that has been there for a long time, it is not new, i think this thread shows that there is actually feelings in this. you can use this as a positive..

I also to summarize, think that this calling on "friendships" and lets have a dialogue first, does not sit well with me, especially the way he "after the video" handled the Billet case. it seems like he will do whatever to make this go away. instead of actually owning up to it.

He does not control what is said in the LAB, but he does with the WAN show, so this "please talk to me bro" thing, apparently only applies to Linus, not when it is the other way around, and he marks out other youtube channels. And to be honest, he does have the ability to also react, when a video that comes out .. shows something done by his staff. Back then he should of course, has answered, with respect, and that their job is not to "belittle others" to make themself great, but to drive the quality of content as far as they can in their enviroment.

I loose all respect for people, when they tend to talk others down, to make them self great, that is a REALLY REALLY bad trait.. it is also what you do see in politics all the time, in the end we do not talk about what we do, we only talk about the inability of others, which just destroys all development.

I am also quite curious, because i have also apart from the "many errors" felt that there are more "collabs" going on that it looks like.. Sabrant, a "silent" SSD brand, is suddenly spearheaded to extreme degrees in LTT videos... it is ALWAYS sabrant drives. i own a Sabrant drive, a 2TB drive for my Ally ROG, that is the biggest POS i have ever owned of a drive. with a fill rate of 60% this drive does 70MB/sec, with Steam decompressing while downloading, simple game updates when starting up my ROG, makes it unusable for 30 minutes, i think the max my Internet line is giving me is 7-10MB/sec on a line capable of 120MB/sec.. but i like.. had in the back of my mind. HEY sabrant, i see that a lot.. that might be "OKAY". again how Product placement works. i learned my lesson. (of course being a techie i do know that DRAMLESS QLC Drives are POS pr definition, did not investigate ENOUGH so that is on me)

I think it's refreshing that so far TechYesCity, Austin Evans, and JayzTwoCents have not leaped at the chance to monetize the hot drama that this situation is.

1 minute ago, ChumleyTGT said:

I think it's refreshing that so far TechYesCity, Austin Evans, and JayzTwoCents have not leaped at the chance to monetize the hot drama that this situation is.

People no one thinks of in the same sentence as the word "accuracy!"

1 minute ago, ChumleyTGT said:

Jay is so out of his league in this one lol. Talk about mistakes…

Everyone makes mistakes, I am sorry to see that this happened. I do feel if GN gave LTT a phone call they would have done everything they could to correct it. That opportunity wasn't given to LTT. Auctioning something that is not yours is a bit of a bad move. That said we don't know what was said behind closed doors or what the motive was.

I wish Linus and the LTT employees all the best and I hope you can bounce back from this. I honestly think GN wanted to hurt LTT. All of his actions suggest that he didn't want to give LTT the opportunity to respond. That is telling. The sad part is he gave Noah Katz a chance to respond via email. He couldn't do that for LTT. That is all I have to say about this. 

My last take on it is, if GN knew about the incorrect data points why didn't he say anything earlier? If his intention was to protect the consumer why wait as long as he did and not communicate to LTT that their findings are not correct? I would imagine that if LTT saw something on GN that wasn't correct they would have told GN privately "hey you need to look at this that and the other thing".

3 minutes ago, Anders155 said:

Hello. Redid my account because i dunno my old password but anyway

https://www.osler.com/en/resources/regulations/2023/trending-towards-transparency-british-columbia-passes-pay-transparency-legislation#:~:text=The key requirements of the,related information to other employees

They don't list salaries on their jobs page which is.. bad. And considering the handbook leak (which may or may not have been changed since), it's even more oof.

image_2023-08-16_081129510.png

That wage confidentiality clause is repugnant. I don't care of it's legal or not, you should be able to talk about compensation with your collauges without fear of reprisal. Especially if the conversation is off site and after hours.

Treating a paystub like classified material (beyond safeguarding your PII) is excessive.

5 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

Unions aren't without their flaws but even a flawed solution is better than no solution. A balance is needed so companies can fire poor performers in accordance with the agreed upon employment contract and unions can prevent predatory contracts from passing negotiation.

5 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

He said that he wouldn't stop the employees from unionizing but, if they do so, he would consider that a failure on his part.

Now, wether or not that's pro or anti-union, I can't say for you. For me, he seems pro-union but doesn't want to see it happening at his company because it would break his pride as a boss.

...at this point, I kind of wish they did just that as part of the backlash.

4 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Jay is so out of his league in this one lol. Talk about mistakes…

Yeah... he has made his part of mistakes, he must also be in a wierd place right now, never finishes a built, videos are half done, most videos are just "studio updates" or the "kids" (his 2 staffers) doing reviews. 

i think it is maybe good he takes a bit of a backseat on this one. he has also been good at saying he "knows the best" and actually not knowing that much when it comes to it.. 

but i do like his channel decent entertainment.. i love his boycut of ASUS, and then every product when he wants to show something is done in a ASUS board. 😄

3 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

Everyone makes mistakes, I am sorry to see that this happened. I do feel if GN gave LTT a phone call they would have done everything they could to correct it. That opportunity wasn't given to LTT. Auctioning something that is not yours is a bit of a bad move. That said we don't know what was said behind closed doors or what the motive was.

I wish Linus and the LTT employees all the best and I hope you can bounce back from this. I honestly think GN wanted to hurt LTT. All of his actions suggest that he didn't want to give LTT the opportunity to respond. That is telling. The sad part is he gave Noah Katz a chance to respond via email. He couldn't do that for LTT. That is all I have to say about this. 

My last take on it is, if GN knew about the incorrect data points why didn't he say anything earlier? If his intention was to protect the consumer why wait as long as he did and not communicate to LTT that their findings are not correct? I would imagine that if LTT saw something on GN that wasn't correct they would have told GN privately "hey you need to look at this that and the other thing".

He went and interviewed ASUS on his own dime and gave them a chance to respond when they were killing PCs but couldn’t give Linus a phone call or email lmao

1 minute ago, 3m3m said:

It would take more than private pressure to make LMG stop making shoddy videos.

Sure the Billet thing could have been handled, but that was just the example that proves the bad attitude.

Now LMG doesn't actually have a choice. I hope they realize that quickly!

1 minute ago, RasmusDC said:

Yeah... he has made his part of mistakes, he must also be in a wierd place right now, never finishes a built, videos are half done, most videos are just "studio updates" or the "kids" (his 2 staffers) doing reviews. 

i think it is maybe good he takes a bit of a backseat on this one. he has also been good at saying he "knows the best" and actually not knowing that much when it comes to it..

but i do like his channel decent entertainment.. i love his boycut of ASUS, and then every product when he wants to show something is done in a ASUS board. 😄

I think's he's a twitch streamer now, playing video games.  

2 hours ago, Wintyr said:

thats 6.7% of about 6% of revenue they pull in which means thats a fraction of 1% of revenue loss basicly means nothing

Floatplane financial loss from not spending 500 CAD on retesting the waterbloack is about $170k yearly in subscription fees ($5/month), which is ~3 yearly salaries. 3 people have to be fired to maintain the same bottom line. You also may want to consider lost revenue from the 'LTTstore.com' - a phrase that is repeated so frequently in his vids that often makes me switch to other content.

I feel sorry for the people working at LTT - the days to come will suck big time with an autocratic boss like Linus

59 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

The real issue is the “story” seems to me to be a big nothing burger designed to drive views. The fact they went from averaging 60k views to 1mm+ for the LTT videos, and there was a follow up to double down, kind of shows it.

Who is this referring to? GN? Because that's... hilariously wrong. Not only do they not average 60k views, they don't even have a single video from the last year with that amount of views. The closest you can get is 70k on a video announcement of their merch.

58 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Steve reporting that it was sold (implying for profit) and saying that it could have been bought by a competitor is editorial speculation and just further unnecessarily added speculative fuel to the fire.

But he didn't? He specifically said it was auctioned for charity in the first video.

1 minute ago, Madpaatch said:

Floatplane financial loss from not spending 500 CAD on retesting the waterbloack is about $170k yearly in subscription fees ($5/month), which is ~3 yearly salaries. 3 people have to be fired to maintain the same bottom line. You also may want to consider lost revenue from the 'LTTstore.com' - a phrase that is repeated so frequently in his vids that often makes me switch to other content.

lmao check floatplane subscriptions in a month 

1 minute ago, speederzd said:

Who is this referring to? GN? Because that's... hilariously wrong. Not only do they not average 60k views, they don't even have a single video from the last year with that amount of views. The closest you can get is 70k on a video announcement of their merch.

But he didn't? He specifically said it was auctioned for charity in the first video.

Good thing that he doesn't have over 100 employees!

2 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

Sure the Billet thing could have been handled, but that was just the example that proves the bad attitude.

the fun thing is the Billet thing was not a focus, it is a GIANT shitshow, but i think the general quality is..

however the Billet thing, to be honest, what company can ever lend Linus a prototype anymore, he has had REALLY good content on early releases like the Steamdeck etc..

Let´s just say the Billet cooler, was actually cutting edge, if used correctly, and had some real GENUINE innovation in it, and the customer at that auction was Asetek, or some other giant cooler brand. 

To be honest any other company should take notes on this, and not let this guy near prototypes. because he does not have the processes to ensure safety around them. 

2 hours ago, 3m3m said:

It was beyond correcting anything at this point. Linus is just callous and his ego is bloated beyond all reason. 

I mean, just look at the way he handled it all.

When he was called out about the block - EARLIER - he still dismissed the entire botched review on video and claimed doing it properly wouldn't change his conclusions. Well, fck me, if it doesn't change anything then why do Labs at all?

And it wasn't until Steve posted his video that LTT got back to Billet Labs with an offer to reimburse them for the block. I.e. then Linus still DGAF at that point. It's only when he felt pain that he started damage control, even though he still had the nerve to come out here and whine that he's a victim.

Like, WTF man?

Even at this point he could have just accepted responsibility and moved on - but no, he had to moan how it was somehow unfair on him and LTT.

Huh? After trampling over other people suddenly poor Linus is the victim here? Please.

2 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

Hindsight is 2020. I stopped watching LTT when he started to handle equipment with disrespect. All the GPUs he destroyed, all the computers he destroyed. As someone that lives in a world where that PC cost as much as my house. I couldn't watch it anymore. That said we have to call out GN and ask why was LTT not given the opportunity to respond.

But all in, All I can say is RIP LTT. This is the end of LMG and LTT. They are not coming back from this. Why? because every YouTuber is telling every other person LTT is bad. They will never come back from that.  

1 minute ago, RasmusDC said:

the fun thing is the Billet thing was not a focus, it is a GIANT shitshow, but i think the general quality is..

however the Billet thing, to be honest, what company can ever lend Linus a prototype anymore, he has had REALLY good content on early releases like the Steamdeck etc..

Let´s just say the Billet cooler, was actually cutting edge, if used correctly, and had some real GENUINE innovation in it, and the customer at that auction was Asetek, or some other giant cooler brand. 

To be honest any other company should take notes on this, and not let this guy near prototypes. because he does not have the processes to ensure safety around them. 

I'm convinced that Linus is always risking dropping $10000 cpus for laughs.

He's at least risking it on purpose on an unconscious level if he isn't doing it entirely on purpose!