Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

5 minutes ago, Silviecat44 said:

Except if they are a $100m+ corporation

This isn't to be a defence of Linus but to give you an insight for this. I work for a $1b+ corporation and this generally isn't the case.

2 minutes ago, bobbybobjoebob said:

I'm curious, how'd you arrive at that number? Not attacking- genuinely curious

They recieved a buyout offer for more $100 million.

As someone that works in a prototype engineering field...
If one of our devices lent to a client got lost there would be a lawsuit.. The cost of prototypes aren't cheap, and I'm not talking the cost of machining of the parts. 

How was this item not traced in their inventory as a "DO NOT SELL" item...  HOW did it get approval to even be put on an auction block... 
Maybe as a new company they failed to provide proper legal papers with the hardware, but this should be common practice with prototype hardware! 
"You are allowed to show this off, do not lend this to others without approval" 
I get content creators generally don't like those rules. but I thought LABs was LMG stepping into the professional market... 

It baffles me that over a year of starting up, hiring multiple people whom have worked in engineering fields this was even possible to happen. 

2 minutes ago, throwawayManMode said:

Is there any chance that Linus isn't allowed to attend the WAN show this week and instead, Luke and the CEO Terren address the situation? or Luke and Yvonne, or ANYONE besides Linus?

That would be great, honestly.

I'm sick of Linus endless rants and dumb "hot takes".

Please let some adult handle this type of stuff for once.

2 minutes ago, andreimj said:

Who the hell are you to say the facts are wrong =)))) Get off that high horse, warrior 

Because there are receipts and videos as well? Including Linus in his own video saying the card being used is not the right one? Are you trolling?

2 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

btw have to love the review on the mouse where the reviewer didn't have the brain capacity to notice the mouse was covered in plastic yet gave it a crappy review anyways.  It's like asking a Canadian Burger King employee if they want a job at LMG working as a tech reviewer.

Speaking of burgers - imagine doing a burger review after eating it with the wrapper 😉

1 minute ago, Amaninacity said:

I mean, that’s because it was clearly intended to be an attack. A high percentage of the specific points were more or less accurate, but it was a hit job top to bottom. Whether because Steve really is pissed off about the subject or he’s letting personal beef of some sort make him feel more pissed than he otherwise might, the clear intention of this video was to aggressively attack.

no, its really clear that this is not intended as an attack. As the largest techtuber, LTT needs to be held to a higher standard. If they are releasing bad data, which they were/are, they need to/deserve to be called out.

12 minutes ago, Silviecat44 said:

Except if they are a $100m+ corporation

"Valued at"
They didn't sell. 

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

Only he didn't. First of all, LTT and Linus himself have always fully acknowledged his investment in Framework. And the idea that LMG is in bed with ASUS for some reason is completely unsubstantiated. On the basis of Steve's line of thinking nobody who took any sponsorship from any tech company should review its products or is in a potential "conflict of interest" with it.

It's ridiculous. This is where he broke his own rules about focusing on facts and evidence. 

You do realize it's possible for people to be right about something and wrong about something else, right?

I guess you missed all the info GN pointed out about Asus and it's obvious bias.

2 minutes ago, bobbybobjoebob said:

I think you missed my point. Also I wouldn't call this a fallacy (also, "false fallacy" is redundant). My point was that they've had some form of professional and/or personal relationship in the past. This is different than Steve calling out, idk, some 100-employee company that he's never had any personal interactions with. I agree that LMG has definitely contributed to souring the relationship, but I still believe that someone should be reached out to first. If they don't respond, then air out the dirty laundry and say "they didn't respond to our request for comment". Personally, I just can't imagine doing this to someone I personally know without speaking to them first. Of course, maybe this is why I'm not a journalist 🙂

Right. This is how we would treat one another, as we are not public reviewers trying to provide objective and unbiased information to the public viewers/consumers. Given their professions, GN's response is in no way wrong. Quietly doing this under closed doors would be a disservice to Billet Labs as the public would not have known about the issue at hand, not to mention would be a serious conflict of interest.

5 minutes ago, AlTech said:

The appearance of a potential conflict of interest is sufficient to cause doubts about the propriety of the relationship between Linus, Framework, Asus, and LMG.

So, as I said, no major tech reviewer can do reviews anymore. Only some nobodies recording from their basements can, since they never got sponsored by anybody.

1 minute ago, LinusAuctionTips said:

no, its really clear that this is not intended as an attack. As the largest techtuber, LTT needs to be held to a higher standard. If they are releasing bad data, which they were/are, they need to/deserve to be called out.

That doesn’t make it not an attack.

Just now, Nyotengu said:

Because there are receipts and videos as well? Including Linus in his own video saying the card being used is not the right one? Are you trolling?

All you people are cherry picking. You consistently ignore facts so you could never have the full picture of the matter. It's my fault for bringing logic into this shitshow. I hope you're proud of yourself

4 minutes ago, bobbybobjoebob said:

I'm curious, how'd you arrive at that number? Not attacking- genuinely curious

Someone offered to buy LMG for 100 million. Truthfully it was probably an overpay. 

5 minutes ago, Elinzar said:

We will never know if they would have ghosted them now that GN spilled the beans

in a timeline where Gn said nothing, who knows how long it would have taken for LTT to actually adress this..., and how the current events are panning out it makes me think than it would have never happened without GN reporting this

Agreed, who knows how it would have gone sans reporting.   However if it did fall through the cracks and was sitting in a pile of email never to be read again.  Once addressed isnt the reaction the one which has been espoused as the "right way".  Acknowledgment and seeking solution.  Stumbling as it may be, the effort seems to be in teh right direction even if the sale was an epic fail

Just now, mikaelus said:

So, as I said, no major tech reviewer can do reviews anymore. Only some nobodies recording from their basements can, since they never got sponsored by anybody.

Is GN a direct investor in a company that has competition with other companies he is reviewing? 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

8 minutes ago, Battlenat0r said:

I mean Linus has already made his comments here.. so.... he has given a full response..

It sounds a bit of a "hit and a miss" to me. And the talking points of both sides have been beaten like a dead horse so I won't state them again for the 12 billionth time. But a proper review of an item and using it to what the maker intended is what I come to "reviews" for, not the hey, some XYZ company sent us some silly half baked water block for us to try out, they even sent an applicable GPU to "TEST" the waterblock with and what does a "REVIEWER" do? Tests said block with a different GPU that "may or may not work depending on who's asking." And low and behold, the waterblock SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKs with the temperature reading portion of the "review". Can anyone here act like they were born yesterday about that result? Because not watching that video I can see the result from 3 zipcodes/postal codes away with bright lights saying "it doesn't work correctly". But the biggest kick in the face/teeth you name it part is the response Linus gives on the WAN show. Honestly? Really? You gosh darn better come up with a better response then that I tell ya, that was awful, all that hard work over the years of growing this channel and going from some house in the city to what you have now and that's the response the viewers get? You didn't test it correctly, you didn't care an ounce to "test" it fairly. If I was going to send you something to review, I might as well not anymore. There's no point. NONE! And that's just for the review of a waterblock. I'm not even going to start with other things. Sorry, but if you don't want reviews to be 100%, fine, but please disclose that in the title of the video. Then that way folks like myself or others can see, "Oh, this video has a tag called satire." now I KNOW to expect a review to fall flat and not in a good way.

1 minute ago, nightryder21 said:

I guess you missed all the info GN pointed out about Asus and it's obvious bias.

What obvious bias was there? That Jake said good things about the company while unboxing their GPUs? I mean, brands have a brand for a good reason and ASUS is, generally speaking, a reputable one. 

There's a reason GN is not LTT, and it's rubbish like this, that doesn't add anything but drags Steve's videos into eternity.

12 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

While the context of the clip should matter, Linus isn't going to live that one down for a while. "Here's our $10,000 testing machine" and "Here's our $200,000 signal testing lab" stuff, and a couple of hundred to at least test something as it's intended to be used comes off as woefully out of touch.

While it's likely the functional conclusion wouldn't change (product is probably too custom for a sustainable business but cool as a 1-off), it'd be like testing a super car (even a really, really prickly one) and not at least getting a proper lap in with it. Even if it blows up afterwards. "Thing does a thing" and you don't technically see if it does "the thing". That's just cruising for very negative feedback.

Yeah I agree, I think we are on the same page 😞

1 minute ago, hassam222 said:

Someone offered to buy LMG for 100 million. Truthfully it was probably an overpay. 

I'm sure that company is counting its lucky stars that it wasn't accepted.

1 minute ago, hassam222 said:

based on what.... Where is the truth in this? Truthfully....pathetic

On 8/15/2023 at 9:30 AM, Moortu said:

I personally am  not a huge fan of the "going in blind videos", where the concept has been tested by someone but Linus then goes in mostly blind. A well constructed plan is more my thing but that's my opinion

Got to be honest: I enjoy these 'going in blind' videos. I can relate to them. But then again, I watch LTT primarily for entertainment, whether it be Linus fumbling an install and making the same mistakes I would make, or the videos about throwback tech and weird devices. LTT brings a human element and perspective to things that I appreciate, but I haven't treated LTT as a reliable source of data for quite some time. I never treat any single source as truth without verification elsewhere, especially LTT hot takes.

I get my reliable review data from a wide variety of other sources, both written, and video. (and yeah, for the past several years, at the top of my 'trusted' list for video sources is GN and HUB. But not LTT.)

Just now, LinusAuctionTips said:

Neither does calling someone out.

Calling someone out in this manner, using that journalistic tone, and refusing to reach out for comment or even acknowledge and explain why they were deviating from that norm? That’s an attack.

Attackers aren’t always totally in the wrong. But they are attackers.

Just now, mikaelus said:

What obvious bias was there? That Jake said good things about the company while unboxing their GPUs? I mean, brands have a brand for a good reason and ASUS is, generally speaking, a reputable one. 

There's a reason GN is not LTT, and it's rubbish like this, that doesn't add anything but drags Steve's videos into eternity.

Its good that GN isn't LTT. It means that at least one tech outlet still has morals.