Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, zeroality said:

My jaw dropped when I read this, you realize that time doesn’t move differently on the same planet? They said Linus replied two hours AFTER the video dropped, and the video dropped the same second for everyone worldwide regardless of time zones.

Bro.

Bro, thats not what they talking about.  They talking about discrepency between Reddit thread from Billet saying 11th and Linus saying 10th about what I dont recall.  Go back and read the context of the message you reply to... 

1 minute ago, daydreamfaze said:

Also asking you ahead of time LIEnus, wouldnt BE PROPER JOURNALISM..... But you wouldn't know proper journalism if it hit you in the face with facts about your improper and illegal business practices. 

did he just review his sponsors and not ask them ahead of time if it was ok 

8 minutes ago, iAxX said:

Disappointed there's not enough coverage of the conflict of interest between LMG and Noctua/ASUS. 

Saying the NH-D15 will take anything you throw at it as the CPU throttles.

Not properly covering the ASUS refusal to RMA situation. 

As you then partner up with Noctua to make LTT colored fans and Noctua colored screwdriver. 

As ASUS becomes the main sponsor for LTX.

These are egregious violations of trust if you're reporting on news or going into the technical reporting field. 

I dont think LMG's aim is to be GN. LMG is a Media companyaka Entertainment. Theyve also had partnerships with both companies in the past.

Original LTT Noctua Black fans before Noctua put out the Chromax line. Literally have one of those coolers in my server.

ROG Rig Reboot as just one example from ASUS.

6 minutes ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

No, they definitely shouldn't choose a scapegoat among their ordinary employees. Ultimately, it's the management fault.

Agreed... but how do you fire Linus?  How do you punish Linus?  

Push him out of doing LTT videos, give him a small project within LMG, which he spins off into another company that LMG latter buys.  

Just now, eece_ret said:

Bro, thats not what they talking about.  They talking about discrepency between Reddit thread from Billet saying 11th and Linus saying 10th about what I dont recall.  Go back and read the context of the message you reply to... 

yeah I just completed the required reading and apologized, my bad

15 minutes ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

All of Linus's responses just read like corporate gibber jabber. He hasn't taken any sort of responsibility or accountability. Sad.

Genuinely sad

Honestly, when I saw the original GN video, I was hopeful. I had seen a lot of inconsistencies in the way LTT had been publishing video and was still not convinced that the lab was a good idea.

I was always a casual viewer, drawn in by the content in the style of Scrapyard Wars, or the crazy projects at the style of Whole Room Watercooling, Bong Cooling, the Mineral Oil PC and the like. I think that's the content that LTT does best, they're kind of the Top Gear of computers, and the best at entertainment. That's why I was confused about the Labs thing, I saw the expansion possibilities but I did see it as departing from the core of the content.

Now, the inconsistencies and rush have been happening for quite some time. For the Linux challenge, it was something that really hurt, as a Linux user, to see Linus' attitude, even if it wasn't the best experience for him, of shifting the blame of every mistake he made to the distro itself, there was no "It could have been my mistake" part, and the not contacting someone more knowledgeable like Wendel or Emily for basic questions because "not everyone has access to an expert" was especially such a bad take with so many forums and subreddits dedicated to it, and with myself having been part of a LUG where we used to organise installation festivals at least once per year before the pandemic, the community, even if harsh and hostile at times, exists for a reason; and a bit of interaction could even have helped to point out the problems of the community, but just ignoring outside help, that was a bad take. The only way that made sense is if the video was being rushed, similarly with not even reading the warnings. And forgetting to edit the Luke part of the video in, the part where stuff works and the OS is shown in a better light, is just hurtful, even more as the comments in the WAN show being unapologetic when his approach was criticised.

That was for me kind of a point of realisation that objective content wasn't the strong of the channel, but the crazy impractical projects were still fun, weren't them? Well, isn't that what the Billet prototype was? Instead of a cool project showing a crazy and maybe not cost effective the concept could be, but instead, an attempt to a serious video with a flawed test methodology? And to make it worse, after the whole debacle with selling the prototype, which knowing how things work I'm pretty sure was a communication mistake, this answer thing which is just, a shame. Such a corporate, refusal to acknowledge mistakes of an answer; totally the opposite of what I expected and is what honestly makes me doubt the channel's future as a proper review centre. And it seems the Scrapyard wars and whole room watercooling things aren't coming back because production time is too high and therefore not as profitable?

2 minutes ago, daydreamfaze said:

wrong.JPG

"Responding ended up going terribly for them last time."

This reply comes off as being so disingenuous.

Frankly, any time you are met with true criticism you have two default responses:

• Make a flippant comment then follow it up with "it doesn't matter"
  • Or you go on to say "that wasn't our intention" and show no empathy for anyone outside of you/LMG

You ask people to remember that "you're just a person" without showing any sort of empathy for others involved and/or without taking a step back to analyze how others involved could feel about the situation, how it could effect them,  or whether any sort of actions or communications on their end were warranted.  You get really upset when folks say that you are out of touch but these two reasons are why so many folks can't take you seriously when you respond to criticism. Yeah, you and Steve have a personal relationship but for him to reach out to discuss repeated shortcomings of your data without discussing it with the community is the opposite transparent journalism.  Add to the fact that he was responding to both Tim's  comments and HU's take on the whole deal him reaching out to you first before responding just doesn't make any sense. At all. 

It's obvious that you feel like folks were quick to grab pitch forks and yeah, you can't make everyone happy.  However, after some discussion with some peers we all had pretty much the same thought:  Continuously not being able to relate to others during criticism paired with comments that often play down whether or not issues at hand tend to be "worth" anything outside of what you say it is heavily perpetuate the feeling that you are either out of touch with users as a whole or just don't give a damn unless it effects you personally or LMGs bottom line. 

Hindsight comes standard with rose tinted lenses and if your aim of chief vision officer is to make sure that LMG fosters positive relationships with folks outside of big vendors in the space then you may need to consider taking some steps to being able to empathize with others regardless of how it effects you or LMG.   Whether that's by taking some time to analyze your team's workflow, looking at how you and LMG as a company address issues of conflict, or seeking a professional to consult with you a different pair of glasses to view conflict with it's clear that many folks think that you got this wrong and will continue to get it wrong until you can come to a point where instead of just saying sorry you can genuinely see where others are coming from without needing to preface it in defense.

5 minutes ago, ColonelSupremePizza said:

Prove it. Show me how it wasn't a journalistic video that went into detail about how FUBAR the LTT Labs results were. You are choosing to see it in a negative light because your favorite content creator is being an absolute man child and you can't handle people criticizing obviously flawed work.

No I acknowledge LMG fucked up.  As more has come out we are seeing that Steve posted his video about 1 business day after LMG told Billet that they sold the prototype.  So LMG "ghosted" billet labs for at most 2 business days.  Steve quickly ran off to bash LMG.  Linus said they agreed to pay Billet labs.  This easily could have been internal communications on how to handle this big of a fuck up in order to respond to Billet in that 1 business day.   Steve said he did not reach out to LMG because he knows LMG is doing bad things.  if he was a journalist he would have gotten both sides of the story.  He would have included the information Linus has publicly spoken about on how they are trying to eliminate the mistakes.  and he would have seen if LMG had any comments or evidence to provide an accurate narrative.   This does not mean that if Linus said no we paid them all should be well, but it should have been evaluated along with any emails LMG would show to as evidence.  This way we could be confident it was a complete accurate story. 

The thing I see with Linus is something I've seen with so many other youtubers and it is being so incredibly defensive and not admitting that what you did/are doing is wrong and that it needs to change. Now I know Linus has actually said multiple times that they made mistakes and need to improve but I feel he is tip-toeing around the real issue and just giving vague statements. The real issue being the quality decrease in their videos in favor of quantity. That is what the viewers have noticed, that is what their employees have pointed out and wished that would change and that is what GN has shown - with proof - is happening, and yet Linus is still trying to take a roundabout approach to avoid admitting it. It just feels so weird and not at all what I would expect from him based on his character, especially with how outspoken he is with holding companies accountable (I've only been watching LTT for the past 2 years so maybe I'm wrong). 

I'm just confused by this stance on testing and reviews, why would I watch or trust a review if there is a high chance of inaccuracies? What if I watched the video, moved on, and didn't see the pinned comment or the tweet after the fact or a post in the forums addressing it? It just beats the entire point of reviews.

As for Billet Labs, I don't believe Linus was trying to insinuated that he reached an agreement with them prior to Gamers Nexus' video, because there is simply no way we wouldn't find out it was a lie, but his behavior towards Billet Labs was so shitty and uncalled for. If Gamers Nexus didn't make the video no one would have known because I doubt Billet Labs would want to go against LTT. 

I think aside from the WAN show, this whole thing should be addressed in a separate video with Linus being honest with himself first and then apologizing to BL for what transpired. I know he said he won't even address it on WAN but at this point there is no escaping it.

21 hours ago, Lyre said:

Based on the Likes on GN's Video It seems that most people agree with him (rightfully so)

image.png.43c9a769f06ab417130a00f8bb1dadd2.png

a 220k View video with 72k Likes is wild

image.png.9684b261a656540811f9df920a062b8a.png

A similar LMG video with around the same views has and incredibly low like count in comparison

I hope that LMG just sucks it up and fixes their mistakes here in any way that they can but right now they're in hot water and if they don't do anything or double down we the fans have to take up arms (protest by disliking or unsubbing from FP or something like that we should)

Bro those subscriptions need to be switched.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

How does it make sense to not test the cooler on a GPU it was made for?

Because anyone willing to spend $800 on a GPU block won't want to be using it with last generations GPU (or atleast that is the way I see it).

Linus was complaining about the price...

That bit of reasoning wasn't put very tactfully by Linus, but to me the base arguement of no one will buy it unless it works with this generations GPU makes alot of sense to me, and I felt that the takeaway from the video was: this is a cool idea but I want to see it work with a current GPU cause that is what people might want to use it with.

And it makes no sense for Linus to be bashing on the company without giving the block any fair testing.

I didn't actually feel he did any bashing on Billet. As I said above, my takeaway from the video was, this is a cool idea and a cool product from a cool company doing some very interesting work, but not something you should buy cause if your gonna spend $800 cooling a GPU, you should be buying this generations GPU (or if you have $800 to spend and a 3090, you'd be better off buying a new GPU, than buying this product).

As for auctioning off the prototype that was a dumb mistake, sure mistakes can happen, although it shouldn't have happened if Billet said they wanted it back and there should have been a note to return it if the block was correctly put into their inventory.

Although the worst thing is how LMG handled selling it off, they totally acted non-nonchalantly over a one off prototype and probably hurt Billet as a company since that was their best prototype, thats completely unacceptable IMO and Billet deserves a public apology.

Yeah, it is dumb, but you show me two or more people working together and I'll show you the dumb mistakes. Miscommunications and mistakes happen. As for a public apology: that is useless to a company like billet. What billet need is compensation and that is what LTT has offered. In my mind, if LTT pay up, then I'm happy they have attoned.

Now, As I feel this thread is only spirialing away from the topic which truly matters (how LTT are going to deal with inaccuraceys in their videos) and as I feel it is unhealthy for anyone to dwell in this thread of hate for too long, I'm going to begin ignoring this thread.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

I can't pretend to know what could or would have happened had the situation be dealt with in private, but I still think it's absolutely fair to point out how shady it looks. It's hard to believe "Steve should have let us know quietly" if LMG didn't even attempt to make the Billet Labs situation right until after the video went live and public outcry forced his hand.

Maybe it's a case of massive comments failure internally. 

You could see how it could have happened in the busy period leading up to LTX. Business relations and logistics handling the return of the equipment. Pushing videos to get ahead for LTX week. And an LTX organisational committee that is potentially looking for items to auction for charity. 

It's quite easy to see this scenario in which comes amongst an increased busy period happens. 

The point I'm making that professional courtesy should have been extended for a right of reply, because I can totally see potential scenarios where this is both known internally before the GN video or its the first time LMG or Linus hears about it. 

Keeping it private is not necessarily attributing a malice intention. People are placing that intention on those words. 

Just watching the new HW news... wow.

They didn't even offer compensation for Billet until AFTER Steve had to publically call LMG out?
What a sham this company has become. Disgusting behavior that would leave a startup with no compensation even after selling their one of a kind prototype, and then only reach out once you get called out publicly.

Shame on Linus and LMG in general.

"One must imagine Linus happy."

1 minute ago, harls said:

No I acknowledge LMG fucked up.  As more has come out we are seeing that Steve posted his video about 1 business day after LMG told Billet that they sold the prototype.  So LMG "ghosted" billet labs for at most 2 business days.  Steve quickly ran off to bash LMG.  Linus said they agreed to pay Billet labs.  This easily could have been internal communications on how to handle this big of a fuck up in order to respond to Billet in that 1 business day.   Steve said he did not reach out to LMG because he knows LMG is doing bad things.  if he was a journalist he would have gotten both sides of the story.  He would have included the information Linus has publicly spoken about on how they are trying to eliminate the mistakes.  and he would have seen if LMG had any comments or evidence to provide an accurate narrative.   This does not mean that if Linus said no we paid them all should be well, but it should have been evaluated along with any emails LMG would show to as evidence.  This way we could be confident it was a complete accurate story. 

steve runs a much smaller organization, his motive is to do hit and run job on bigger boys because they dont response as fast. this hit job took steve 6 months of planning, goes to show his scummy ways.

12 minutes ago, asdsadfas said:

a little hint for you- what date is "around the 11th"? there's a reason that the wording isn't "on the 11th", but "around the 11th"

He isn't worth arguing with, he is riding Linus like a prize bull.

2 minutes ago, perryckd said:

reminder that steve guerilla nexus does not hold himself to the same standards that he attack on others.

Read this link

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1526180-gamers-nexus-alleges-lmg-has-insufficient-ethics-and-integrity/?do=findComment&comment=16081403

lol, whatever you say blind fanboy. The entirety of Steve's videos are completely invalidated because of your valuable contribution! Good work!

/s

Just now, perryckd said:

steve runs a much smaller organization, his motive is to do hit and run job on bigger boys because they dont response as fast. this hit job took steve 6 months of planning, goes to show his scummy ways.

Say you are a linus shill without saying it.

21 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

so wait gn makes a video flubbs the timeline of events. by posting incorrect dates and not providing complete dates the first time

but hey he released a follow up video with correct dates 

AFTER hes already caused a shitstorm by intentionally leaving pieces out either by rushing or failure to communicate

again pot calling the kettle black.

So you now can't hide behind the "He did not contact Linus as good journalism before publishing" anymore, you make up other shit?

1 minute ago, thebakerman said:

You are correct that dozens of people have signed up in the last 24 hours. I am sure a relatively big minority did so to sling mud and start flamewars.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, there are genuine members of the audience who have been watching this content for years and did not have a reason to create an account or engage with the "community" until now?

From what I have seen, most of the new accounts in this thread are just like me, members of the audience who have been watching for years and wanted to share their concerns and feedback in a way that has the highest likelihood of actually reaching someone close to being in a position of power to do something about it. If you see mostly "mud slinging" from new accounts in this thread, I am afraid you are probably quite selective in what you read from them.

I have seen this type of brigading on multiple other social media platforms and forums before, it is up to the word of the new joins that they are long-time watchers of the channel, but they have no presence here until this goes down? It seems like a convenient explanation, but I don't really buy it for a lot of the new joins. 

It's 140 pages now, I started into this thread yesterday, I have seen more than enough to base my opinions. There are plenty of trolls and drama-chasers here, I don't have to be selective to see that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1