Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Imagine how funny it would be if the private buyer of that Billet Labs block just auctioned it on Ebay now. 

Just now, jitteryzeitgeist said:

GN: Says out loud what LTT did

LTT fanoids:  HITJOB IT WAS A HITJOB

The first video he called out the mistakes on reviews and the Billet labs.  He could have possibly gotten some resolution on some of this had he contacted LMG.  The second video he flat out said he does't need to contact LMG because he knows they are wrong.  So he does not care if they have any evidence to the contrary. 

Just now, Lagonas said:

So, what you are saying is that because people do not have an arbitrary high number of messages posted here, although some of us (can't talk for all) have watched LTT for over a decade but are just not into forums that much, their messages hold no value till we get a higher post count?

It's not about a high number of posts, it's about having any posts or even an account from more than a day ago. Again, it's a convenient way to ignore the clear brigading going-on.

This forum is free, it takes two minutes to create an account, it's been mentioned in LTT videos for years. Me having an expectation that truly invested people with actual constructive criticism, would have something more than a brand new account and a handful of posts in a drama thread, is not unreasonable. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, ColonelSupremePizza said:

I have serious doubts that the CEO would touch any of this shit with a 10 foot pole. First thing he should do is reprimand Linus for causing great harm to the company, but we all know the CEO ain't gonna do a damn thing. He is CEO in title only, Linus is still 100% running the show and GN knows that.

Can't wait for Linus to knee jerk reaction fire the new CEO and use that as proof he's 'changing the company for the better'

"One must imagine Linus happy."

2 minutes ago, Lagonas said:

For example by claiming they have reached an agreement with Billet labs although that was a one sided agreement? Billet never accepted it, nor did they ever sent an invoice, although Linus said they did. They just sent an Email as a response with how much that thing is worth.

He never said he had an agreement with Billet labs.  

While things not great, this is madness also, if his video been in works for months then why say this

less than 2 months ago, this def not revenge by steve for that labs video, one video yeah maybe but 2, come on

@LinusTech  My hope is that someone sees this in the ocean of comments sooooo....

Concerning the copper block,  your comment concerning "its to expensive and not worth the cost" is perhaps the thing I have the least forgiveness on.

For a guy making alpaca filled CPU pillows, a product you admit is stupid expensive and should not be bought....  If a reviewer were to take one use it in the wrong application and then claim its a shit product,  I think you'd be rightly mad that your own admittedly uber high quality overpriced product was used incorrectly and the reviewer said dont buy it because it sucks!

For a guy who has said time and time again,  price is not a metric we focus on because whats expensive to one person is pocket change to others,  or the price of the product is constantly fluctuating and we don't want to give the wrong impression about the price as it would only be a snap shot in time...

I have previously posted that I really like your off-the-rails, "what kind of shop shenanigans can Linus and Alex get into this week with some stupid water cooling build".  They are first and foremost simply entertaining content with hardly any real world value in terms of how the audience (me) would get value out of doing the same thing. 
Contrast that with the review of a niche product that is under development and well, i guess the results speak for themselves.  

The team can make editing mistakes, or testing mistakes... they can be rushed and have insufficient time to do the best job.  I have come to understand this is mostly how the world runs today.  Is there an opportunity to do better, absolutely.   I have faith that LMG and its leadership will have a focus on continuing improving in all these things.

I look forward to hearing about the new process that departments have put into place to better avoid the types of mistakes that Steve at GN has pointed out.

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Billet Labs is getting their money back finally. At least no rival company had the block. Linus got off this one easily. Please repost for context.

Sweet Jesus. Billet even sent them a 3090ti to test said block on and they still put out that terrible video?! And people in this thread have the gall to question others journalistic integrity? Oh and they STILL have that card too (presumably lost as they couldn't even find it for the video they were shooting about it.)

It's a comedy of errors. Staggering levels of incompetence.

I'm disappointed the Linus Misrepresented the Timeline of making Billet Whole in his statement. It didn't really matter if he had just said, "based on the video, we looked at the number they sent us for the prototype, and due to our error, we're going to pay it" It did sound better that they were proactive about their mistake. It didn't change the reality as the real effective action is paying them for the lost prototype. 

Contrary to todays Video, I believe you did address the testing..by saying your developing process, and improving. I'm sorry that didn't sink in with the audience who want perfection and crystal clear admission of fault. 

I wanted to take a minute to change my perspective from imbibing entertainment, to Inspecting and criticizing motive. 
When you take a full step back from Parasocial hater or fan, because both of them exist, I have unanswered questions. 

Would Steve Recommend buying an 800$ waterblock? Based on the years of videos I've watched from him, I would expect a proper test, and then him stating that the price is ludicrous and moving on. 

Steve Stated in his video that he found most of the errors himself by checking labs work against their own work. That's a lot of time and effort to be spent, including the time it took to scan the comments and liase with Billet and point out the error with the mouse. 

I say this, knowing I was alerted by Steve's own statements that him being a smaller tester is becoming harder, The "We know your talking about us" Comment, and description of timeline. Well LMG is a bigger, Larger Competitor, and He needed to find actual substance, was that the motivation?  He found wrongdoing, so he did good work. 

I wouldn't have even had a thought about it if he hadn't made three separate points of showing his original video as being demonetized. Verbally 2 times, and in the original description. When making that point that he's not gaining anything fiscally from the video, I do believe Other growth/survival plans were considered and the overall original motivation. 

No matter the Ethics of journalism, Surprising someone with a video like this, even though proven to be factual, you do that to a competitor right? or do you do that to someone you respect. Nowhere in any of steves Pieces did I get a feel of humanism. I got a feel that this was a Teeth out, Claws out attack, which lead to my thoughts above. 

Did Steve Need a weapon? Why did he need the weapon? Linus left it laying unsecured on the table in the form of poor internal practices and copper, and then the ammo came in the form of labs growth and a Mouse review. Steve had the shot, and took aim at the head, Without consideration or a chance for proactive defense. 

Would you, or Could you all do the same? Steve Compared Linus to Walmart/other retailers. Could you do the same thing to someone that you've had a working relationship with for years, without Something Truly and Properly motivating you?

One more thought. If your walking away from entertainment and information that you've come to know and enjoy, so fairweatherly, abruptly, and quickly, why? Do you believe in change and growth? Do you apply that to yourself? 

21 hours ago, bizzehdee said:

contacting linus personally, and resolving it quietly. is the exact opposite of "proper journalistic practices", what an absolute narcasistic arrogant buffoon

That isn't what they meant. Usually poper journalistic practices means contacting LTT to get a comment on the situation as it can provide valuable context to the situation. Obviously you would still clearly state that the comment came from LTT but it would help provide a better overall picture and allow LTT to actually have a chance to give their side of a story. That is what it read like to me anyways. 

1 minute ago, harls said:

He never said he had an agreement with Billet labs.  

Yes he did, he quite literally made multiple post about agreeing to come to terms on the price to replace the prototype but then it was found out by billetlabs on reddit that he lied about it all.

Just now, harls said:

The first video he called out the mistakes on reviews and the Billet labs.  He could have possibly gotten some resolution on some of this had he contacted LMG.  The second video he flat out said he does't need to contact LMG because he knows they are wrong.  So he does not care if they have any evidence to the contrary. 

Unless Billet are fabricating emails and unless theres some kind of matter anomaly in LTTs industrial park causing numerous data errors they can repeat as valid, there was no reason to contact Linus.

And, in fact, Linus’s response kind of proves Steve right.  That a company LMGs size would try to obfuscate, minimize, cover up and gaslight.  All of which Linus did

2 minutes ago, zeroality said:

With evidence, third party confirmations and email timelines validated. 

LTT guzzlers: STEVE SHOULD’VE BEEN NICER ABOUT EXPOSING THE LIES, THEFT AND GROSS NEGLIGENCE THAT COULD’VE DESTROYED A STARTUP OF 2 PEOPLE

Meanwhile Steve putting out his evidence and reasoning in a clear, calm and rational way...

"One must imagine Linus happy."

Just reposting that the situation with Billet has probably been resolved now.

UPDATE

For full transparency, Linus contacted us this evening saying it's likely he can get the block back from the buyer.

We have declined this offer, and asked for the previously agreed monetary value instead for the following reasons:

1. we have already spent a significant percentage of the value of the block in the last few days on replacement parts to build a new block, assuming we'd never see the original one again.

2. we do not know if the original block is still in good working condition, and how much money will be needed to fix it if it's not.

3. we don't know if any of the bespoke fittings are missing, each of these costs money to replace if they are.

4. LTT have had our 3090ti without using it for 9 weeks, so we have lost confidence that they will return items quickly.

5. LTT isn't currently in possession of the block, they've only said that they can get it back. We therefore don't know when we'd get it back, and time is of the essence.

6. LTT has confirmed that the block is with a private individual rather than a rival company, so lost IP is much less of an issue.

We wanted to state this publicly just in case anyone has any issues with the fact that the block has potentially been found, and we chose to take the money instead. We hope you understand our reasoning here. We can have our new block that we're currently making ready in the next couple of weeks, and we are sceptical that we would have the original block back in fully working condition in that amount of time – it would be a gamble at the very least.

Much love

Dean & Felix

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

It's not about a high number of posts, it's about having any posts or even an account from more than a day ago. Again, it's a convenient way to ignore the clear brigading going-on.

This forum is free, it takes two minutes to create an account, it's been mentioned in LTT videos for years. Me having an expectation that truly invested people with actual constructive criticism, would have something more than a brand new account and a handful of posts in a drama thread, is not unreasonable. 

It's not brigading if people are coming here over a recent thing that happened, despite lurking around in the past (like myself, I registered about 4 years ago I think?). Brigading would be a concentrated effort of "HEY GO GET THEM!" by somebody elsewhere in an attempt to flood the forum with negative messages.

From what I've seen, this is entirely from people deciding on their own that it's too much and that there needs to be changes, despite what the ardent defenders are trying to do.

For a lot of people in this thread:

Steve's handling of the situation does not invalidate the raised points, Linus's initial response does not mean changes would not be implemented

Having different opinions is great, attacking other people is not

1 minute ago, IndustrialBananaBread said:

Can't wait for Linus to knee jerk reaction fire the new CEO and use that as proof he's 'changing the company for the better'

Heavily doubt this would ever happen. It would be so idiotic in so many levels. Linus messed up badly here, and isnt reacting correctly, but he isnt one to fire people.

16 minutes ago, Pailloran said:

Yeah, but no one will make a video about it.  I know Linus has an ego larger than many and has criticized GN before for video length and such, but I see bruised ego in Steve.

I think we can all see that LTT has been making a lot of mistakes in their videos lately. Their quality has gone down hill, and they are trying to make the Lab a place for trusted data. We need them to put in place real solutions to their data quality issues. Otherwise, the need to stop the benchmarks and just go full entertainment. But the investment in the Lab tells us they have plans to produce trustworthy data. To me, that means they need to loosen their timelines and stop the 'crunch' to the end of every week... or find an alternative to keep quality and their timelines.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Having already taken care of the situation with Billet. Anyway, all's well that ends well. I just demand an apology from him now.

Honestly, it's up for Billet to demand public apology or not, not us.

Mind, if LMG figures out a plan they can share with us regarding all the other issues, a straightforward apology to the community alongside it would be far from misplaced.

2 minutes ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Billet Labs just posted an update on Reddit. Seems like they want a pound of flesh more than a proper resolution.

Sorry, I don't get this take, at all.

1. LMG offered money to make Billet whole first... then offered to locate the original sample and get it back from the individual they auctioned it off to.
  2. As the card (3090 Ti) that Billet sent to LMG has been missing for over 9 weeks and the monoblock is in collectors hands, they already started buying parts for a replacement prototype... and with no timeframe to get it back on, it'd be more efficient to complete the new one rather than deal with uncertainty over time to recover the old one, plus they don't know the condition of the old one.

LMG made an offer (money to reimburse them to make a new prototype), then a secondary offer (get the OG prototype back from the person they sold it to). Billet explained their rationale for taking LMG's first offer (that it would be quicker and lead to less uncertainty over the condition of the product they get back).

I will say as someone that has been very critical in this thread of how LMG handled it and Linus' post misrepresenting the nature (that they didn't make any offer to make Billet whole until Steve's video was published, versus the language in Linus' post implying via weasel words that Billet and LMG had already agreed on the monetary route by the time he posted his first reply), I will give props to LMG making an offer that Billet found amicable.

Still outstanding is a more meaningful reply from Linus on every other issue in the video, and a proper apology to Billet for the flawed testing methodology and refusal to test that painted their product in a very bad light.

Just now, ScoggsUK said:

Schadenfreude at its finest. Why are you even here?

Because I am not entirely convinced it'll make a difference over the next couple of weeks, and having the data to make a conclusion is nice. I am of the opinion that the drop won't matter much for the company long term.

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

I don't disagree that he should have been sued. But since not excessive harm was done, ALL Linus has to do now is actually stop lying. Just come clean and fix your shiz. It's not that hard. Noone wants to harm LTT, we just want good and honest content.

I'm actually curious why there was a video instead of a lawsuit.

8 minutes ago, Wintyr said:

anyone see those numbers of SUBS plummit

Screenshot 2023-08-15 122934.jpg

I dropped my float plane sub, if he's gonna be too cheap to accurately test a product before slamming it publicly then he doesn't need my money.