Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

3 hours ago, swimtome said:

IMHO you're confusing vindictive with trying to be thorough and coming with receipts.  He's being careful to specify specific examples that he can backup.

Nah, Steve can be snarky. He very often is. Not necessarily a bad thing... and imo he was particularly un-snarky through the grand majority of this video.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

6 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Pretty sure the "evidence" for the subconscious bias of Noctua was the mistakes during the performance numbers on that vid that actually looked Noctua look bad but they didn't notice, also the 4060 "review or unboxing" not sure with the ASUS card that had them just sputing wrong stuff and carefree validations of quality.

If it wasn't a review I'd have no qualms, it's fair to say, "noctua is generally really good" or "Seasonic is a brand you can trust for PSUs", but being sponsored by them or having comercial ties (noctua edition screwdriver) can surely muddy the waters, no?

we know asus doesn't mean quality, but that's whats said in the video, and anyone doing a video at LTT should know that, it's hard to prove whether that was a subconscious bias or just a sponsored comment. Either way it was awkward.

Same for the noctua clip, it shows the d15 thermal throttling while saying it's good 😒

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 minutes ago, mgo said:

20 bucks say you will never see a video about this. LTT has like 15M subscribers, only a fraction of them will see the GN video or this post, so the topic is better kept hush. Hope I'm wrong tho!

Yeah well the video is gaining some traction. I hope it gets addressed. I dont think this has to be some terrible drama and I think if he addresses it well and tries to fix stuff going forward there shouldnt be such an outcry or a reason for anything like this again

Just now, Ex14 said:

At this point it seem it’s just a difference in opinion and we’re likely going to go around in circles should this continue so we can leave it as agree to disagree

Going to be a few more days at least of circles at least in this forum haha

"One must imagine Linus happy."

1 minute ago, Arneun said:

I think in my country it's part of codified journalistic ethics, I've always assumed that we aren't one-off country that does that (I'm from europe though).

That point roughly translates as: (it can be imperfect, I'm not sure whether some words in English are best matched to meanings

(and original, as for what that language is, I'm from Poland):

As far as I know (and could confirm quickly online) it Canada/USA it's a guideline, not a firm rule. 

Just now, Crowbar_XL said:

Yeah well the video is gaining some traction. I hope it gets addressed. I dont think this has to be some terrible drama and I think if he addresses it well and tries to fix stuff going forward there shouldnt be such an outcry or a reason for anything like this again

Hopefully it continues to gain traction, prompting a proper response from LMG.

"One must imagine Linus happy."

Just now, IndustrialBananaBread said:

Going to be a few more days at least of circles at least in this forum haha

Can’t be helped for whatever reason the world has picked polarisation as its current trend in thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, mgo said:

20 bucks say you will never see a video about this. LTT has like 15M subscribers, only a fraction of them will see the GN video or this post, so the topic is better kept hush. Hope I'm wrong tho!

700k views as of now and its picking up steam...
You've got to give it to Steve... he probably spend over a day making that 1 video, over 40 minutes long
Only to protect you and me, the consumers...

Lets hope every LTT subscriber (I just unsubbed) sees it and that Linus comes to the realization that the power is, as it always has been, with the people who watch your content.

1 hour ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

I'm curious, what would you consider "making this right" though?

Well for one, an actual proper apology and not a half baked "response", not to mention probably a sizeable lump sum of cash, since they're on the grounds for a lawsuit solely on the fact that their entire company potentially was put under after their product was mistested even though they gave proper instructions & documentations, and after employees trying to correct the mistake he refused to redo the testing because "it's too expensive :(((" when it's the difference between the company getting decimated and thriving. Oh also potential theft and sale of trade secrets among other things.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

As I and many others have stated earlier in this thread, before something like this is made public, every news/journalistic entity is expected to contact someone they are making this sort of content about. Steve loves to talk about journalistic integrity, but has failed at one of the most basic attributes of reporting.

It doesnt, they are not third party that need to ask both sides to create close-to-objective point, they are giving their point of view and articles/videos/news like that do not need other side explainations right away.
They need proofs to back up their claims and they were there so they did their part, made a criticism. Just because Linus wrote "they should ask us before criticising us" doesnt mean it really works like that.

3 minutes ago, IndustrialBananaBread said:

I would have loved more context and insight into the entire fiasco with Billet, as the original response seemed to just be "we paid them money so it's a non issue."

I mean.. what more can they do? 

The prototype had been lost, they could either try to find it (which they can't or it wouldn't have been lost in the first place), or pay for the damage. And if they already did the latter - well..

D

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

There won't be a big WAN Show segment about this or anything. Most of what I have to say, I've already said, and I've done so privately.

To Steve, I expressed my disappointment that he didn't go through proper journalistic practices in creating this piece. He has my email and number (along with numerous other members of our team) and could have asked me for context that may have proven to be valuable (like the fact that we didn't 'sell' the monoblock, but rather auctioned it for charity due to a miscommunication... AND the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype). There are other issues, but I've told him that I won't be drawn into a public sniping match over this and that I'll be continuing to move forward in good faith as part of 'Team Media'. When/if he's ready to do so again I'll be ready.

To my team (and my CEO's team, but realistically I was at the helm for all of these errors, so I need to own it), I stressed the importance of diligence in our work because there are so many eyes on us. We are going through some growing pains - we've been very public about them in the interest of transparency - and it's clear we have some work to do on internal processes and communication. We have already been doing a lot of work internally to clean up our processes, but these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day, but that's no excuse for sloppiness.

Now, for my community, all I can say is the same things I always say. We know that we're not perfect. We wear our imperfection on our sleeves in the interest of ensuring that we stay accountable to you. But it's sad and unfortunate when this transparency gets warped into a bad thing. The Labs team is hard at work hard creating processes and tools to generate data that will benefit all consumers - a work in progress that is very much not done and that we've communicated needs to be treated as such. Do we have notes under some videos? Yes. Is it because we are striving for transparency/improvement? Yeah... What we're doing hasn't been in many years, if ever.. and we would make a much larger correction if the circumstances merited it. Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPIs for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it... The thoroughness that we managed on our last handful of GPU videos is getting really incredible given the limited time we have for these embargoes. I'm REALLY excited about what the future will hold.

With all of that said, I still disagree that the Billet Labs video (not the situation with the return, which I've already addressed above) is an 'accuracy' issue. It's more like I just read the room wrong. We COULD have re-tested it with perfect accuracy, but to do so PROPERLY - accounting for which cases it could be installed in (none) and which radiators it would be plumbed with (again... mystery) would have been impossible... and also didn't affect the conclusion of the video... OR SO I THOUGHT...

I wanted to evaluate it as a product, and as a product, IF it could manage to compete with the temperatures of the highest end blocks on the planet, it still wouldn't make sense to buy... so from my point of view, re-testing it and finding out that yes, it did in fact run cooler made no difference to the conclusion, so it didn't really make a difference.

Adam and I were talking about this today. He advocated for re-testing it regardless of how non-viable it was as a product at the time and I think he expressed really well today why it mattered. It was like making a video about a supercar. It doesn't mater if no one watching will buy it. They just wanna see it rip.  I missed that, but it wasn't because I didn't care about the consumer.. it was because I was so focused on how this product impacted a potential buyer. Either way, clearly my bad, but my intention was never to harm Billet Labs. I specifically called out their incredible machining skills because I wanted to see them create something with a viable market for it and was hoping others would appreciate the fineness of the craftsmanship even if the product was impractical. I still hope they move forward building something else because they obviously have talent and I've watched countless niche water cooling vendors come and go. It's an astonishingly unforgiving market.

Either way, I'm sorry I got the community's priorities mixed-up on this one, and that we didn't show the Billet in the best light. Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at) and we wanted Billet to make something marketable (so they can, y'know, eat).

With all of this in mind, it saddens me how quickly the pitchforks were raised over this. It also comes across a touch hypocritical when some basic due diligence could have helped clarify much of it. I have a LONG history of meeting issues head on and I've never been afraid to answer questions, which lands me in hot water regularly, but helps keep me in tune with my peers and with the community. The only reason I can think of not to ask me is because my honest response might be inconvenient. 

We can test that... with this post. Will the "It was a mistake (a bad one, but a mistake) and they're taking care of it" reality manage to have the same reach? Let's see if anyone actually wants to know what happened. I hope so, but it's been disheartening seeing how many people were willing to jump on us here. Believe it or not, I'm a real person and so is the rest of my team. We are trying our best, and if what we were doing was easy, everyone would do it. Today sucks.

Thanks for reading this.

Honestly this doesn't really answer the accusations of you guys rushing content. Obviously you didn't watch the "what's it like working for LMG" videos, but the recent one (where GN got quotes from several people from) shows that even LMG staff feel the content is rushed. I've been feeling it in a lot of videos this year, and I feel like that's where the real issues lie, because that just makes all of the content bad. I feel like if you just reduced your weekly output, but spent more time on each video, you'd be able to increase the quality, solve the accuracy problems, and still get just as many views. I understand that there's over 100 people you need to feed, but you're going to lose your audience if you think that the quality of content doesn't really matter because you'll solve the problems in the future. I feel like that's just an unacceptable answer, because that still means the content you're producing *now* isn't up to snuff, and that just kinda sucks.

P.S.: I've been a fan for a long time, all the way back when you guys were at the Langley house, and I've been on your side for a lot of the mostly BS controversies people have stirred up. This one has hit to the core, because it's hitting a lot of the notes I've been feeling for the past year or so about essentially the lack of QC and time you guys have to make a quality video.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

There won't be a big WAN Show segment about this or anything. Most of what I have to say, I've already said, and I've done so privately.

To Steve, I expressed my disappointment that he didn't go through proper journalistic practices in creating this piece. He has my email and number (along with numerous other members of our team) and could have asked me for context that may have proven to be valuable (like the fact that we didn't 'sell' the monoblock, but rather auctioned it for charity due to a miscommunication... AND the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype). There are other issues, but I've told him that I won't be drawn into a public sniping match over this and that I'll be continuing to move forward in good faith as part of 'Team Media'. When/if he's ready to do so again I'll be ready.

To my team (and my CEO's team, but realistically I was at the helm for all of these errors, so I need to own it), I stressed the importance of diligence in our work because there are so many eyes on us. We are going through some growing pains - we've been very public about them in the interest of transparency - and it's clear we have some work to do on internal processes and communication. We have already been doing a lot of work internally to clean up our processes, but these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day, but that's no excuse for sloppiness.

Now, for my community, all I can say is the same things I always say. We know that we're not perfect. We wear our imperfection on our sleeves in the interest of ensuring that we stay accountable to you. But it's sad and unfortunate when this transparency gets warped into a bad thing. The Labs team is hard at work hard creating processes and tools to generate data that will benefit all consumers - a work in progress that is very much not done and that we've communicated needs to be treated as such. Do we have notes under some videos? Yes. Is it because we are striving for transparency/improvement? Yeah... What we're doing hasn't been in many years, if ever.. and we would make a much larger correction if the circumstances merited it. Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPIs for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it... The thoroughness that we managed on our last handful of GPU videos is getting really incredible given the limited time we have for these embargoes. I'm REALLY excited about what the future will hold.

With all of that said, I still disagree that the Billet Labs video (not the situation with the return, which I've already addressed above) is an 'accuracy' issue. It's more like I just read the room wrong. We COULD have re-tested it with perfect accuracy, but to do so PROPERLY - accounting for which cases it could be installed in (none) and which radiators it would be plumbed with (again... mystery) would have been impossible... and also didn't affect the conclusion of the video... OR SO I THOUGHT...

I wanted to evaluate it as a product, and as a product, IF it could manage to compete with the temperatures of the highest end blocks on the planet, it still wouldn't make sense to buy... so from my point of view, re-testing it and finding out that yes, it did in fact run cooler made no difference to the conclusion, so it didn't really make a difference.

Adam and I were talking about this today. He advocated for re-testing it regardless of how non-viable it was as a product at the time and I think he expressed really well today why it mattered. It was like making a video about a supercar. It doesn't mater if no one watching will buy it. They just wanna see it rip.  I missed that, but it wasn't because I didn't care about the consumer.. it was because I was so focused on how this product impacted a potential buyer. Either way, clearly my bad, but my intention was never to harm Billet Labs. I specifically called out their incredible machining skills because I wanted to see them create something with a viable market for it and was hoping others would appreciate the fineness of the craftsmanship even if the product was impractical. I still hope they move forward building something else because they obviously have talent and I've watched countless niche water cooling vendors come and go. It's an astonishingly unforgiving market.

Either way, I'm sorry I got the community's priorities mixed-up on this one, and that we didn't show the Billet in the best light. Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at) and we wanted Billet to make something marketable (so they can, y'know, eat).

With all of this in mind, it saddens me how quickly the pitchforks were raised over this. It also comes across a touch hypocritical when some basic due diligence could have helped clarify much of it. I have a LONG history of meeting issues head on and I've never been afraid to answer questions, which lands me in hot water regularly, but helps keep me in tune with my peers and with the community. The only reason I can think of not to ask me is because my honest response might be inconvenient. 

We can test that... with this post. Will the "It was a mistake (a bad one, but a mistake) and they're taking care of it" reality manage to have the same reach? Let's see if anyone actually wants to know what happened. I hope so, but it's been disheartening seeing how many people were willing to jump on us here. Believe it or not, I'm a real person and so is the rest of my team. We are trying our best, and if what we were doing was easy, everyone would do it. Today sucks.

Thanks for reading this.

Steve doesn't HAVE to warn you or get comment before posting a video. 

As for diligence in your work I re-watched the video about Billet Lab's water block and these issues come from the top down which is you. You clearly didn't give a shit about that product and were going through the motions to make a video. I get that LTT is not always going to be enthusiastic about certain products but you still owe it to the companies you work with and your audience to not be that ridiculously bad. You did not have the correct parts to do a review of that product. Either pause production until the correct parts can be sourced or send the product back. That whole video was an immature shitshow that never should have seen the light of day outside of LTT.

How can you draw a conclusion on a product that LTT could not properly test? Cost is ONE factor out of many. You clearly made up your mind before you ever began filming and everything in-between was just filler material to say it's a not a useful product because of the price which is why I think you guys didn't bother to get the correct parts to even test the product. You're wasting everyone's time by watching a video with pre-determined conclusions and something you didn't care about to begin with. That creates bad content which is what that video is. You can claim that accuracy and diligence is going to improve but you're still defending what led to that video and comments you made on WAN. 

No one is accusing you of being a bad person but I also think blame shifting and saying, 'I swear we're good people' is avoiding taking responsibility. Besides that, you are basically also saying, 'eh mistakes are not a big deal because the conclusion was the same.' I don't see how any of that is taking responsibility and giving your viewers the feeling that these issues are going to be meaningfully addressed. If Linus blows off valid concerns and criticisms, then why should your employees as the owner of LMG give a shit? 

Linus,

Good god has it been a long time since I have logged into this. I can't believe it has been 10 years since the last time I log into this forum. I have a lot less hair on my head and a lot more on my face. You grow up and life gets busy. Never stopped watching and enjoying it, however.

I just wanted to express I hope you have an open mind about all of this. I am happy you have found so much success in life. It certainly was never a lack of working hard or doing the right thing. You are at a point where you, your kids, and your grandkids would never have to work another day of their lives. I am glad for you on that. You have earned it. Just don't forget how you got to where you did.

I have just watched your company turn into exactly what you built it not to be. I certainly don't want to pretend I understand what it is like to be you or make the decisions you have to make on a daily basis. I didn't even realize how bad it has gotten until today. I use to turn to Linus for everything around my hobby. It wasn't until today that I released when it was time to build a new PC this year. I didn't even look at your content. That made me really sad.

I hope you are able to face this head-on like you always do and come out a better person for it. Just make sure you keep an open mind to those who want the best for you.

I just want you to hear it from a long-term fan.

George

2 minutes ago, IndustrialBananaBread said:

Hopefully it continues to gain traction, prompting a proper response from LMG.

Tbh nth he says or do will be enough. There will always be improvement point to pick on. You can never be perfect.

The replies from @LinusTech in this thread are hugely disappointing. His comments appear to come from that of an underdog trying his best and not the face of the most influential tech brand in current media that has taken over a decade to establish. His abdication of responsibility and sidestepping of valid criticism under the guise of "it's hard" and "we're working on it" might work for a small channel for a small amount of time, but he is the personification of one of the largest companies on the YouTube platform and has been making excuses for far too long.

The additional wrinkle of him undermining the person putting their personal business at stake to tread through his cult of sycophants and try and help right this ship from the outside is disgusting. You can't make a huge mistakes publicly and do half-assed corrections to save cost then complain when somebody else tries to correct the misinformation you put out in to the world.

It's clear that Linus has no concept of the power his words have. If he wont take steps to wield that power more responsibility, as his statements in this thread clearly indicate, then the only recourse is for the tech community is to devalue his word. It's just unfortunate that he has 100+ depending on him for their livelihood and he is this flippant with his words. Words that have put the integrity of the entirety of LMG in question.

Hire a PR person. Every single controversy I can remember is from Linus putting his foot in his mouth. You would think he'd be able to suss out the common denominator at this point, but here we are again. I'm reminded of the adage "If you wake up in the morning and meet an asshole, then you've met an asshole. If you wake up and everyone you encounter is an asshole then maybe its you."

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

This is at the core of so much of what's wrong with LTT, I think.

Linus is running (yes, yes, not the CEO anymore, spare me) a multimillion dollar enterprise with (checks website)... Good God, over 80 employees now. But he still acts like, and seems to be expect to be treated like, some random guy making YouTube videos solo in a bedroom. 

Yeah, I was telling my friends earlier, it seems like Linus has a sort of parasocial relationship with his fans. 

He seems to think he's just one of the guys ("trust me, bro"). But by now, a good number of views on any video are going to come from people who have never even seen another LMG video and a huge number of views will be from people who only started watching in the past few years.

1 minute ago, Rimson said:

700k views as of now and its picking up steam...
You've got to give it to Steve... he probably spend over a day making that 1 video, over 40 minutes long
Only to protect you and me, the consumers...

Lets hope every LTT subscriber (I just unsubbed) sees it and that Linus comes to the realization that the power is, as it always has been, with the people who watch your content.

Even though steve said it didnt matter but i believe having an employee taking cheap shots (even when LTT does inaccurate hardware reviews) at GN and HUB crossed a line, i don't blame steve for not contacting LMG, it came outta nowhere. I was scratching my head like wtf?

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

That didn’t exist when Gamer’s Nexus was producing the video, so your point is moot. Unless Steve has a Time Machine and saw this reaction, it’s no excuse for them to not reach-out before making the video public.

As I and many others have stated earlier in this thread, before something like this is made public, every news/journalistic entity is expected to contact someone they are making this sort of content about. Steve loves to talk about journalistic integrity, but has failed at one of the most basic attributes of reporting.

Sure, there is always a should. Steve should have done this. LMG should have done that. Reality is you can't do anything about the past and what Steve did was 100% calculated. He saw problems that he felt deserved to put LMG into hot water and needed to be publicly addressed and not swept under the rug. Linus regularly talks about how things are going to improve, that it's just around the corner, that he's beholden to forces outside of his control, and that it'll take more time. It's been like this since Labs started and what have we gotten? More errors, more mistakes, more "trust me bro", and more "it'll be better in the future." Steve and the team at GN doing this is them trying to put Linus' feet to the fire. And you know what he said in the stickied post on this thread? We need more time, it'll get better. Trust me bros.

Where we are is in the middle of a media 💩 storm that has called into question the capabilities and ethics of LMG, threatening the trust of LMG's community in the company. This doesn't just affect the viewers; this impacts partners, other YouTubers, and manufacturers. What GN is doing is treating LMG like the media company it is and not a group of friends. It's a company with over 80 employees and, per Linus, worth more than $100 million. There's no more rug to keep sweeping stuff under.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We are using this, like everything else, to continue to drive ourselves to do better. Got some really exciting stuff in the holster 🙂 

Linus I've been following you and have respected you since I was a kid, and have defended you (to my friends :P) through all the prior controversies etc etc etc you've heard this a million times from a million people lol.

But this one went too far. (So much so that I had to dig out my old forum account, usually I just comment on YT. And obviously update my profile here...)

Everybody is telling you the pace of the channels is too much, your friends, your employees, your fans... this breakneck pace obviously worked well in the early days, but these issues are obviously not caused by malice or malpractice (well, most of them), but just by not having enough time to fix them. And you are in the very unique situation of being able to do something about this.

I mean take the Youtube channel of nvidia, for example, and say they made an ltt-esque error, accidentally using the wrong settings in-game (let's say for one of AMD's products) over repeated testing. I mean we'd all clown on them for it. You might say well, NVIDIA should do better. But for us, when it comes to trusting benchmarks... we trust independent reviewers - like Linus Media Group - to get it right, without the marketing rubbish. Mistakes are understandable, yes, but these are just completely avoidable. Yes, you're human, as are your employees, but humans make more issues under pressure and when rushing things. I'd bet it's not even a linear scale. The fact that LTT is able to keep this high of a journalistic standard - and I'm not being sarcastic here - really speaks volumes to the quality of both the leadership and the talent in your ranks. But there's no use squandering that talent on half-baked rubbish, because that's increasingly what this pace seems to be resulting in.

Regardless, this topic has obviously blown up. While you may want to avoid a media sniping war, IMO it looks worse if you say nothing much at all, as most of your youtube fans don't visit the subreddit or the forum. You need to make a video detailing exactly how the company as a team will move forwards towards fixing this issue, or else this issue may become much larger than anyone anticipates.

I'm curious has their been a reply from LTT staff on whether its true on the selling/raffling off the prototype as I can't imagine they would be that reckless? (The thread is moving to fast to keep up and its 1.30am here).

I remember being uncomfortable after watching the video were they noticed they had the wrong gpu and still went ahead with the video, then doubled down on the wan show. This by itself was bad enough.

I never noticed any of the errors in the other videos as I just implicitly trusted LTT until it was mentioned in the GN video.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

2 minutes ago, e22big said:

The prototype had been lost, they could either try to find it (which they can't or it wouldn't have been lost in the first place), or pay for the damage. And if they already did the latter - well..

what do you mean they can't? 

it wasn't lost, it was sold to someone, they should know who they sold it to, or have some idea at least 

"lost" was the GPU, Linus "found" it in a different video because someone misplaced it if I remember well, not the cooler 

18 minutes ago, the9thdude said:

Because there are 30 pages on the LTT forum discussing a video with over 600k views regarding LTT business' practices and ethics?

Honestly given how poorly Linus took Steve's lack of contact, I respect Steve never reaching out for comment before making a video again. Unless you have sufficient evidence as to why people should not trust the people who reported on you (E.g. repeated instances of them creating drama for attention) you shouldn't publicly talk down on the reporter.

He could have just as easily asked Steve to reach out privately over Email, instead he chose to publicly shame GN for how they chose to cover this as the first thing people will read when reading the official response. This controversy isn't about GN right now and discrediting his video because he didn't reach out doesn't change all the recent mistakes and the fact that the prototype was auctioned.

5 minutes ago, CYJAN3K said:

It doesnt, they are not third party that need to ask both sides to create close-to-objective point, they are giving their point of view and articles/videos/news like that do not need other side explainations right away.
They need proofs to back up their claims and they were there so they did their part, made a criticism. Just because Linus wrote "they should ask us before criticising us" doesnt mean it really works like that.

You’re fine with allowing someone to make one-sided flame-stoking videos, that just shows that you don’t have integrity yourself.

Linus doesn’t have to say that, journalists make contact with both sides of any report, period. If Steve isn’t going to do that, then he’s just purposefully making drama, and to that end why should anyone care about a severely-biased flame-tactic video?

Either Gamer’s Nexus/Steve is providing a journalistic service by being thorough, or he’s not. There is no middle ground in these things.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, e22big said:

Acknowledge the problem? At least act like he understands how massive hit that is for start-up? Money dont solve all the problems and maybe admit that? Also they said they auctioned it, there was a post saying they lost it? You should be able to check where was it sent