Download speed is lying to me

bloopiyas

Yo, so whenever I go to speedtest.net or smth, it always says my download speed is smth like 33 mbps, but when im actually downloading something, the download thing says its like 3 - 4 mbps, anyone know why???image.thumb.png.d7e6d0ceca4dd40a4b8809318118134d.png

1 minute ago, bloopskiz said:

Yo, so whenever I go to speedtest.net or smth, it always says my download speed is smth like 33 mbps, but when im actually downloading something, the download thing says its like 3 - 4 mbps, anyone know why???image.thumb.png.d7e6d0ceca4dd40a4b8809318118134d.png

Because torrents are unreliable when it comes to download speed. It has nothing to do with your internet and more to do where its being downloaded from and how many people have been seeding that file.
Whats your download speed in steam?

Just now, Hinjima said:

Because torrents are unreliable when it comes to download speed. It has nothing to do with your internet and more to do where its being downloaded from and how many people have been seeding that file.
Whats your download speed in steam?

like 29 - 35 mbps, it also happens for like free download manager and opera

anyone know why???

Servers. Speedtest.net will connect to the best possible speedtest server to give the best-case throughput on your connection. When actually downloading something, you'll be connecting to whatever server they have, so download speed will vary a lot. Depends on how fast that computer is, how far away it is from you, their throughput to the ISP on their end, whether they throttle download speeds, etc. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Interesting choice of data point aside, it's because of a variety of reasons:

• ISPs can be engaging in traffic shaping and prioritizing speed tests (or throttling P2P connections)
  • The speed test server can be geographically proximate to your current location (versus your P2P peer)
  • As a general rule of thumb, speed is determined by the slowest link in the chain (i.e. the bottleneck), if your ISP-to-local machine link doesn't have the bottleneck, then it can be limited by elsewhere in the chain

Also, make sure you're comparing equivalent units, MB/s =/= Mb/s, 1 MB (megabyte) = 8 Mb (megabit)

like 29 - 35 mbps, it also happens for like free download manager and opera

So you are getting the speed you pay for from legit download / game stores.
Welcome to torrenting, it can take 2 hours or 37 days, its not up to you or your download speed.

8 minutes ago, bloopskiz said:

One byte (uppercase B) is 8 bits (lowercase b). Network speeds are often reported in bits per second, or Mbps, while other programs may prefer to report bytes per second, or MBps. If you divide your 33 megabits per second (Mbps) by 8 you get about 4.125 megaBytes  per second. Your download speed seems about consitent with the speed test if you take that into account.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Speed test gives you Mbps,your downloads give you MBps. Capital B matters, 1MByte = 8Mbit.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Speed test gives you Mbps,your downloads give you MBps. Capital B matters, 1MByte = 8Mbit.

didnt know that, thanks for the info

4 minutes ago, MSMSMSM said:

Also, make sure you're comparing equivalent units, MB/s =/= Mb/s, 1 MB (megabyte) = 8 Mb (megabit)

This!

mbps and MiB/s are entirely different units!

3,2 MiB/s (Mebibit per second) = 27 mbps (Mb/s, Megabit per second) = 3,3 MB/s (Megabyte per second)

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

This!

mbps and MiB/s are entirely different units!

3,2 MiB/s (Mebibit per second) = 27 mbps (Mb/s, Megabit per second) = 3,3 MB/s (Megabyte per second)

so if i have 3.2 mib/s is my speed still gon be my speed that i got in speedtest?

so if i have 3.2 mib/s is my speed still gon be my speed that i got in speedtest?

Not exactly, but close.

It's kinda like km/h and mp/h. Just two different ways of measuring the speed.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Not exactly, but close.

It's kinda like km/h and mp/h. Just two different ways of measuring the speed.

aight, thanks for the help brother

Mega bits are for measuring data that is being transferred. Mega bytes are for stored data.     

4 hours ago, billorwill said:

Mega bits are for measuring data that is being transferred. Mega bytes are for stored data.     

Except for when it's not. Steam uses Mega BYTES, not bits. I am sure there are other exceptions also.

19 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Except for when it's not. Steam uses Mega BYTES, not bits. I am sure there are other exceptions also.

What are megabits per second (Mbps)?

Megabits per second (Mbps) are units of measurement for network bandwidth and throughput. They are used to show how fast a network or internet connection is. Each Mbps represents the capacity to transfer 1 million bits each second, or roughly one small photo per second. It may also be expressed as Mbit/s or Mb/s.

47 minutes ago, billorwill said:

What are megabits per second (Mbps)?

Megabits per second (Mbps) are units of measurement for network bandwidth and throughput. They are used to show how fast a network or internet connection is. Each Mbps represents the capacity to transfer 1 million bits each second, or roughly one small photo per second. It may also be expressed as Mbit/s or Mb/s.

Are you a bot? Yes, i know what it is. What I am saying is that steam shows MB/s (megabytes per second) not mb/s.

Not all download speeds are megabits per second as you stated.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Are you a bot? Yes, i know what it is. What I am saying is that steam shows MB/s (megabytes per second) not mb/s.

Yes they are. 

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

megabits per second (Mbps)

The internet industry measures speed in megabits per second (Mbps). So the greater the megabits per second, the speedier your internet is.

7 minutes ago, billorwill said:

Yes they are. 

They're also megabytes per second, kilobits per second, kilobytes per second, kibibytes per second, mebibytes per second...

It's all the same speed, displayed in different units of measure.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They're also megabytes per second, kilobits per second, kilobytes per second, kibibytes per second, mebibytes per second...

It's all the same speed, displayed in different units of measure.

It would all be in bits. People confuse data storage transfer speed with bandwidth. 

5 minutes ago, billorwill said:
megabits per second (Mbps)

The internet industry measures speed in megabits per second (Mbps). So the greater the megabits per second, the speedier your internet is.

I understand that, but that is not the measurement that steam uses. They use MB/s, note the capital B denoting BYTE, not bit.

3 minutes ago, billorwill said:

It would all be in bits 

And that measurement can be converted and expressed in different units. It's still the same speed regardless of how nonstandard or uncommon said units are.

The Golden Gate Bridge is 8,981 feet long. Is it not also 1,608.537 Smoots long?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Steam is misleading people then. 

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

The actual data transfer is the same regardless of the units it's being expressed in.

The Golden Gate Bridge is 8,981 feet long. Is it not also 1608.537 Smoots long?

Data transfer from disk is not the same a bandwidth.