Download speed is lying to me

bloopiyas
21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That's what we've been saying this entire time.

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That's what we've been saying this entire time.

Feel free to read the website that I provided. 

On 8/11/2023 at 2:43 AM, billorwill said:

Mega bits are for measuring data that is being transferred. Mega bytes are for stored data.     

My whole point was that not everyone measures in megabits. You pushed back hard against this despite me showing proof that steam uses megabytes. That is direct proof that megabits are not used exclusively.

5 hours ago, billorwill said:

Feel free to read the website that I provided. 

That site still does not show proof that megabits is the standard. When I look for a defined standard, I tend to look at corporations like NIST where they have well defined AND documented standards. An op/ed article on a website doesn't meet my definition of documentation unless sources are quoted or listed. Maybe my stanrds of proof are too high.

44 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

My whole point was that not everyone measures in megabits. You pushed back hard against this despite me showing proof that steam uses megabytes. That is direct proof that megabits are not used exclusively.

That site still does not show proof that megabits is the standard. When I look for a defined standard, I tend to look at corporations like NIST where they have well defined AND documented standards. An op/ed article on a website doesn't meet my definition of documentation unless sources are quoted or listed. Maybe my stanrds of proof are too high.

"As to why we measure internet speed in bits even though the internet delivers bytes of data, it is because the internet delivers those bytes of data as single bits at a time. And because those bits sometimes come out of order and from different server locations, it’s both more accurate and more intuitive to measure speed as a factor of the number of bits per second that an internet connection is capable of transmitting, not the total number of memory units, or bytes, it transmits."

45 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

If you do a speed test it is in megabits. If you look at task manger it is in megabits. Steam uses both megabits and megabytes for their gaming software. You are obsessed with proving people wrong. 

19 minutes ago, billorwill said:

If you do a speed test it is in megabits. If you look at task manger it is in megabits. Steam uses both megabits and megabytes for their gaming software. You are obsessed with proving people wrong. 

The only thinkg I am obsessed with is getting people to show proof when they offer facts that contradict proof that I have shown. You finally offered something to read after 3 pages. Thank you for that.

• 1 month later...

8 bits = 1 byte

1024 bytes = 1 kilo byte (KB) = 128 kbits (kb)

1024 KB = 1 mega byte (MB) = 128 mbits (mb)

1024 MB = 1 giga byte (GB) = 128 gbits (gb)

So if your network speed says 813 mbps (mega bits per second) divide that number by 8 to get your MB/s (mega bytes per second) which would be 101.625 MB/s.

Also if steam says 6 MB/s you can multiply that number by 8 to get your mbps which would be 48 mbps in this case. 

I'm sure other people have answered this, but I thought I'd share my two cents.