Download speed is lying to me

bloopiyas
Just now, billorwill said:

Steam is misleading people then. 

How so? They are showing the speed in an accepted format and clearly labeling it. If people can't read, that is their fault, not steams.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

How so? They are showing the speed in an accepted format and clearly labeling it. If people can't read, that is their fault, not steams.

Bandwidth is measured in megabits. So Steam might just being rounding numbers up. That's misleading. If they do not use to correct terminology. Well they just might be wrong. 

Bandwidth is measured in megabits. So Steam might just being rounding numbers up. That's misleading. If they do not use to correct terminology. Well they just might be wrong. 

Bandwidth can be measured in many different ways. Steam is not rounding up, they are using a valid alternate other than megabits. The only one wrong here is you.

(as an aside, it you want steam to measure in megabits, you can set a flag in properties to change it)

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Bandwidth can be measured in many different ways. Steam is not rounding up, they are using a valid alternate other than megabits. The only one wrong here is you.

(as an aside, it you want steam to measure in megabits, you can set a flag in properties to change it)

"Except for when it's not. Steam uses Mega BYTES, not bits. I am sure there are other exceptions also."    You just want to prove someone wrong. If you are going to prove someone wrong. You better be right or at least be constructive about teaching someone something. 

4 minutes ago, billorwill said:

"Except for when it's not. Steam uses Mega BYTES, not bits. I am sure there are other exceptions also."    You just want to prove someone wrong. If you are going to prove someone wrong. You better be right or at least be constructive about teaching someone something. 

Clearly MB/s, not megabits. Is that enough proof that Steam does in fact use Megabytes? How about the flag that sets megabits instead. (Which I have turned OFF so that I am clearly in bytes, not bits mode)

It's difficult to be constructive when someone doesn't want to listen or accept proof.

steamdl.jpg

steambits.jpg

If

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Clearly MB/s, not megabits. Is that enough proof that Steam does in fact use Megabytes? How about the flag that sets megabits instead. (Which I have turned OFF so that I am clearly in bytes, not bits mode)

It's difficult to be constructive when someone doesn't want to listen or accept proof.

steamdl.jpg

steambits.jpg

If you ever take Cisco classes. On the test the answer is megabits. 

If

Is cisco the authority of the WHOLE internet? (and yes, I have my CCNA - albeit, it was take LONG LONG ago)

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Is cisco the authority of the WHOLE internet? (and yes, I have my CCNA - albeit, it was take LONG LONG ago)

Steam just gives the option to view in either megabits or megabytes. That doesn't change the standard of measurement.  

24 minutes ago, billorwill said:

Steam just gives the option to view in either megabits or megabytes. That doesn't change the standard of measurement.  

Where is the hard and fast rule or a valid source of standard unit of measure defined? I gave you proof that steam uses something other than megabits. That is all I was trying to do, the least you could do is provide the same proof for your claims.

8 hours ago, billorwill said:

If

It's called CONVERSION and it's completely valid. Every browser shows bytes as well

8 bits = 1 byte

The reason is data is transmitted in bits (1 or 0) but stored in bytes (8 bits) and BOTH are completely valid.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 hours ago, billorwill said:

You could more resasonably say IPSs are miselading by speccing connection speeds in megabits ("bigger advertised number") when just about every software out there, be it browsers, Steam, torrent clients etc report download speeds in megabytes/s.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

40 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You could more resasonably say IPSs are miselading by speccing connection speeds in megabits ("bigger advertised number") when just about every software out there, be it browsers, Steam, torrent clients etc report download speeds in megabytes/s.

Well there is a technical reason for it, as I mentioned, of data transmit vs data storage speeds and that's mostly down to consumers lack of understanding the difference but also a lot of blame on the ISPs who capitalize everything which adds to confusion for unsuspecting customers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Where is the hard and fast rule or a valid source of standard unit of measure defined? I gave you proof that steam uses something other than megabits. That is all I was trying to do, the least you could do is provide the same proof for your claims.

I gave you proof. You ignored it 

1 minute ago, billorwill said:

I gave you proof. You ignored it 

No, you mentioned Cisco. That is not proof. Show me documentation that megabits is the standard. From an authorized place, not just some random chatgpt website.

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

It's called CONVERSION and it's completely valid. Every browser shows bytes as well

8 bits = 1 byte

The reason is data is transmitted in bits (1 or 0) but stored in bytes (8 bits) and BOTH are completely valid.

Conversion from a standard of measurement being megabits. Megabits is data over the internet. Megabytes is stored data. Stored data is not the same.  

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Torrents report what has been stored onto your drive. Open up task manager when you are downloading something. You'll see it is in megabits. The numbers will be different 

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

No, you mentioned Cisco. That is not proof. Show me documentation that megabits is the standard. From an authorized place, not just some random chatgpt website.

You obviously have an internet connection. Feel free to look around. 

1 minute ago, billorwill said:

You obviously have an internet connection. Feel free to look around. 

It's not on my to offer your proof. (though I did, and found zero proof of any sort of standard that you claim to exist)

Just now, Blue4130 said:

It's not on my to offer your proof. (though I did, and found zero proof of any sort of standard that you claim to exist)

You were using Steam as proof. lol 

59 minutes ago, billorwill said:

You were using Steam as proof. lol 

A screenshot of Steam is poof that Steam displays data transfer speeds in megabytes per second.

Cisco isn't the end-all, be-all of networking, no matter what their textbooks tell you.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, billorwill said:

Conversion from a standard of measurement being megabits. Megabits is data over the internet. Megabytes is stored data. Stored data is not the same.  

There isn't any point talking with you any longer. You've got your head stuck too far up your behind and refuse to see that you're wrong. You most certainly can measure data transfers in bytes or bits, hell you can measure in nibbles if you want, and this is coming from someone who's been a network engineer for over 10 years and helped write a few RFCs, but clearly I don't know what I'm talking about =/

Just because the norm is bits for measurement doesn't mean bytes is wrong.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

There isn't any point talking with you any longer. You've got your head stuck too far up your behind and refuse to see that you're wrong. You most certainly can measure data transfers in bytes or bits, hell you can measure in nibbles if you want, and this is coming from someone who's been a network engineer for over 10 years and helped write a few RFCs, but clearly I don't know what I'm talking about =/

Just because the norm is bits for measurement doesn't mean bytes is wrong.

You are ignoring the standard of measurement. You can measure any way that you choose. That doesn't change the standard measurement that you are converting from.    

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

A screenshot of Steam is poof that Steam displays data transfer speeds in megabytes per second.

Cisco isn't the end-all, be-all of networking, no matter what their textbooks tell you.

Steam gives you the option of either bits or bytes. That still doesn't change internet standards. 

2 hours ago, billorwill said:

You can measure any way that you choose.

That's what we've been saying this entire time.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.