My server is broken :( - Fixing My Home UNRAID server.

JordB

My home UNRAID server has some serious issues, but it turns out fixing them is WAY more complicated than It needs to be.

Buy Seagate Exos 16TB Enterprise HDD: https://lmg.gg/pFyb0

Check out the 45 Drivers Storinator XL60: https://lmg.gg/MyYtu

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I feel like I need to watch a video comparing unraid to truenas now. Is it not possible to increase the size array without adding more drives? With Truenas I can replace the drives with larger drives and eventually I can increase the size of the pool when all the drives get to the larger size but I cant just add a drive with Truenas.

Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, for the curious. The OG Whonnock server chassis was a NORCO RPC-4224.

Time sure flies eh? The NORCO 4224's do have some quirks but I don't inherently think are bad chassis. Getting one today isn't worth while though. You can still find them but the prices are stupid. Overall if you have one or one's being offered for cheap I think they're worth getting/keeping.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, for the curious. The OG Whonnock server chassis was a NORCO RPC-4224.

Time sure flies eh? The NORCO 4224's do have some quirks but I don't inherently think are bad chassis. Getting one today isn't worth while though. You can still find them but the prices are stupid. Overall if you have one or one's being offered for cheap I think they're worth getting/keeping.

Yeah, if you want an ATX compatible server chassis with front hot-swap bays on a budget, you're better off looking for a decommissioned SuperMicro.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yeah, if you want an ATX compatible server chassis with front hot-swap bays on a budget, you're better off looking for a decommissioned SuperMicro.

Mhn, the supermicros are popular as a cheap entry for a similar style enclosure if it's your more cost-effective option.

I do like though how I can squeeze a SSI EEB dual socket LGA3647 server workstation board with seven PCI_e slots and 12 DIMMs with option for ATX or mini-redundant PSU and still have room to spare.

That's not to say I haven't had my fair share of trouble with the 4224, the dang mid-plane and rather annoying backplane power design.

2 hours ago, JordB said:

My home UNRAID server has some serious issues, but it turns out fixing them is WAY more complicated than It needs to be.

Buy Seagate Exos 16TB Enterprise HDD: https://lmg.gg/pFyb0

Check out the 45 Drivers Storinator XL60: https://lmg.gg/MyYtu

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

He refers to a plug-in that would have truenas work like unraid with the disks of mismatched size etc. Does anyone know what he is referring to? This is about the 7 minute mark. 

I have never seen anything like that. 

If linus was replacing 3 drives, why did he not just pull out all 3 drives, put in the 22TB ones, and use  external temporary mini-server to transfer the data?

or am I overthinking it?, as in this way nothing can go wrong, and you do not have to troubleshoot corrupted drive-sectors, caused by expanding parity drives

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Just now, darknessblade said:

If linus was replacing 3 drives, why did he not just pull out all 3 drives, put in the 22TB ones, and use  external temporary mini-server to transfer the data?

or am I overthinking it?, as in this way nothing can go wrong, and you do not have to troubleshoot corrupted drive-sectors, caused by expanding parity drives

Well, he could have pulled the server, put it in his car, go to work with it, transfer the stuff to the servers at work, replace drives, recreate array with new drives and copy the stuff back.

1 hour ago, 10leej said:

What are the chances I can buy old Whonnock?

Negligent I'd say.

I'm surprised they didn't use an SSD for replacement. And then a whole chassis full to increase read/write speeds even further. It also makes re-silvering a degraded array faster.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1:59, My eyes lit up when I saw the 16TB Exos enterprise HDD at $269CAD/$329NZD or $269USD/$439NZD.

I'd pay $652NZD from a large computer store in New Zealand (PB Tech).

image.png.bf3152a4325c6927ab508dbdac78efbb.png

Ripp off for Seagate Skyhawk drives too. 😭

I'm in the market for a replacement 8TB/10TB CCTV drive and prices for this range is more than USD.

image.png.224f976e1a951c686c6fd61d1acfb1a2.png

image.thumb.png.915351ccf0e4c8ab0fc86819ff6bf41e.png

Exos drives keep getting mentioned and they are a great value but from what I've read with countless Amazon reviews is that you have to be careful which seller you get them from because you might not be able to get a warranty from Seagate for them.

I've split the discussion about hard drive prices off to its own discussion thread. You can continue that discussion here in the storage devices forum. Please keep discussion in this thread related to this video.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

For long term storage of stuff I won't touch in awhile, I'll utilize encrypted containers that are uploaded to a cloud service. However, updating the containers can be cumbersome. Given I live in a high fire risk area though (and I kind of lack friends willing to host a server for me), I'll take the tradeoff in exchange for off-site protection.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Mark_nz said:

GST and shipping, although you can get those drives cheaper in bulk orders or through various discounts but always remember to add at least that 15% on to anything you see in an LTT video because most if not always they use USD without sales tax.

18 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I feel like I need to watch a video comparing unraid to truenas now. Is it not possible to increase the size array without adding more drives? With Truenas I can replace the drives with larger drives and eventually I can increase the size of the pool when all the drives get to the larger size but I cant just add a drive with Truenas.

ZFS does actually support vdev expanding now so you can actually add single disks to a TrueNAS system but since I don't actually use TrueNAS I don't know if the capability is actually exposed in the GUI or if you have to drop down to CLI to do it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/raidz-expansion-code-lands-in-openzfs-master/

Just read carefully around the caveats.

17 hours ago, darknessblade said:

Longer and actually more painful than just doing a single disk at a time and waiting for rebuilds etc. None of this has to be done in real time, filming a video has other constraints that aren't normally applicable.

Also moving around greater than 30TB of general variable file size data isn't quick, not something I would choose to do willingly.

22 hours ago, Mark_nz said:

1:59, My eyes lit up when I saw the 16TB Exos enterprise HDD at $269CAD/$329NZD or $269USD/$439NZD.

image.png.bf3152a4325c6927ab508dbdac78efbb.png

Ripp off for Seagate Skyhawk drives too. 😭

I'm in the market for a replacement 8TB/10TB CCTV drive and prices for this range is more than USD.

image.png.224f976e1a951c686c6fd61d1acfb1a2.png

image.thumb.png.915351ccf0e4c8ab0fc86819ff6bf41e.png

I just purchased 2 16TB exo drives for my Nas last week from PBtech. They seem to be the best priced drives currently in NZ after spending time looking and waiting.

They may have another sale like they did at the start of the year giving away an E-Prezzy card if you brought so many drives too.

But yes NZ pc components are so costly it is somewhat of a joke because of the import fees we have here in NZ.

1 hour ago, SnugglyGirl said:

I just purchased 2 16TB exo drives for my Nas last week from PBtech. They seem to be the best priced drives currently in NZ after spending time looking and waiting.

They may have another sale like they did at the start of the year giving away an E-Prezzy card if you brought so many drives too.

But yes NZ pc components are so costly it is somewhat of a joke because of the import fees we have here in NZ.

what a e prezzy card?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

what a e prezzy card?

Pre-paid credit card for/used like a gift card. But better than a store gift card since it can be used anywhere including online.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Pre-paid credit card for/used like a gift card. But better than a store gift card since it can be used anywhere including online.

ah ok.

odd name thru for it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

33 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

ah ok.

odd name thru for it.

It's short for present i.e. gift. It's actually a perfect name for it 🙂

Prezzy is just common slag around here for present lol