The BBC has launched their own Mastodon Server

darwin006
Summary

The BBC has launched their own Mastodon Server to try it out for 6 months to decide whether and how to continue.

Quotes

"first major news outlets to establish an instance"

"You can access the server at social.bbc, which encompasses posts from a handful of BBC accounts, including BBC Radio 4, BBC Taster, BBC Research & Development, and a few more."

"you can’t actually create accounts or posts on the server, you can still leave replies from the instance that you’re using, as well as follow its accounts."

"the BBC still has some concerns about content moderation, as Mastodon doesn’t have a dedicated moderation team and leaves it up to individual servers instead. This means the BBC won’t have any control over what people say in their replies to its posts, but it says that’s an “acceptable risk.”

“The principles of the Fediverse, with an emphasis on local control, quality content, and social value, are far more aligned with our public purposes than those of avowedly commercial networks like Threads or Twitter,” the BBC writes. “We aim to learn how much value it has provided and how much work and cost is involved.”

"the Financial Times has also tried to move away from Twitter...Mastodon has proved more hassle than it’s worth.” In addition to sparking legal and reputational concerns, the Financial Times says the growth of its server resulted in an “exponential effect” on its cost to maintain it. The BBC might have a much different experience, though, since it’s not allowing users to create accounts on the instance.

My thoughts
Looks like major news outlets are looking for ways to interact with the public, start a community, attract more viewers and they want to have some control of the platform they do it on.

I imagine other major news outlets and media companies will be watching what happens with the BBCs "experiment" or going ahead giving their own Mastodon servers a try.

A lot of people go to social media for news, more news outlets using Mastodon/ the Fediverse could be a factor in driving more people away from Twitter and making Mastodon more mainstream.

Sources
https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/31/23814556/bbc-experimental-mastodon-server-twitter

3 hours ago, darwin006 said:

Looks like major news outlets are looking for ways to interact with the public, start a community, attract more viewers and they want to have some control of the platform they do it on.

Or outreach on every platform as usual. BBC have always been on the edge of communication advances, for better or worse.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

This sounds like Telegram is going to get into trouble soon.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I just wish the clickbaity mfer’s called news channels would just leave the modern day internet alone.

I guess since Twitter, sorry X, is a death spiral, and Threads is seemingly not ready for prime time yet, I see the logic. I can't see this going anywhere though, Mastodon had it moment, and it didn't take off.

13 hours ago, darwin006 said:

Summary

The BBC has launched their own Mastodon Server to try it out for 6 months to decide whether and how to continue.

Why is this interesting? Because they are late to the party and the last public service broadcaster to launch their own Mastodon server?

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This is going to go well. Considering almost every major publication gave up on comments sections because they'd constantly get roasted by their own customers, this should make for some hilarity.

Especially if other instances start blacklisting it.....  😆

That article is a paid for smear job more than likely.  Any self hosted solution could be used for that.....

My prediction, they will see it is not worth their money and continue do their main business on X.

13 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

That article is a paid for smear job more than likely.  Any self hosted solution could be used for that.....

And nobody does nothing to stop it just like with Twitter before the musk take over.

Guess this is where they all moved out. Well this and instgrama, and tiktok, and Snapchat

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

And nobody does nothing to stop it just like with Twitter before the musk take over.

Guess this is where they all moved out. Well this and instgrama, and tiktok, and Snapchat

Seems like Lovejoy's law is heavily in use here.

You do understand the intrinsic properties of decentralised systems like Mastodon?

21 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Especially if other instances start blacklisting it.....  😆

I think that's already happened with one of the biggest servers, mastodon.art due to the BBC's transphobia.

My specs:

Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-54)

Intel Core i5-9300H

1TB HDD (WDC WD10SPZX-21Z10T0) + 128GB M.2 SSD (KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ1)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (3GB VRAM / 16GB shared) + Intel UHD Graphics 630 (16GB shared)

32GB Crucial CL19 DDR4 (SDRAM) 2667MHz (downclocked from 3200MHz)

1080p 60Hz 15.6in display overclocked to 75Hz

Windows 11 22H2

Old desktop computer

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

2GB DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (825MB shared (planning on getting a GT 710 to replace this)

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Professional SP1

Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB 80TV (broken hinge)

Intel Core i5-7200U

1TB HDD

Intel HD Graphics 630 (2GB shared)

8GB DDR4 2133MHz

768p 60Hz 15.6in display

Linux Mint 20

9 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

My prediction, they will see it is not worth their money and continue do their main business on X.

Honestly with Twitter subscriptions, the news orgs might actually benefit more from doing Twitter Blue and having subscribers than if they didn't.

7 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Seems like Lovejoy's law is heavily in use here.

You do understand the intrinsic properties of decentralised systems like Mastodon?

It's a valid point of contention though.  You can't just pretend that it doesn't exist; or do nothing to mitigate it.

While the servers themselves might be mostly decentralized...the fact remains that they still essentially offer the initial vessel to connect to the decentralized servers.  Decentralized also doesn't actually have the intrinsic property of not being able to police things either.  They could easily have built into the protocol their ability to.  As a note, Skype protocol was decentralized and they still managed to police things back in the day.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

44 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's a valid point of contention though.  You can't just pretend that it doesn't exist; or do nothing to mitigate it.

While the servers themselves might be mostly decentralized...the fact remains that they still essentially offer the initial vessel to connect to the decentralized servers.  Decentralized also doesn't actually have the intrinsic property of not being able to police things either.  They could easily have built into the protocol their ability to.  As a note, Skype protocol was decentralized and they still managed to police things back in the day.

"Offering the initial vessel to connect to the decentralized servers" is just that. It's up to you and the larger network to police those items. And there is plenty of ability to police that kind of content on the fediverse. Reports federate too, if you see something you can report it and it's up to the admins of that instance to take action against the user posting it, and/or bring it up to YOUR admins and have them defederate from that instance as a whole. The people in those articles where they say "mastodon is FULL of CSAM" admit that almost 90% would not have shown up if they'd consulted a defederation blocklist in their investigations.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. Using a service should not be equated with the user giving approval to & supporting all the activities occurring on that service.

6 hours ago, ExperiencersInternational said:

transphobia

Just as an fyi im against the whole lmb whatever too.....

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

musk actually enforced rules against them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/27/twitter-csam-dom-lucre-elon-musk/

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/durbin_presses_the_justice_department_to_investigate_and_curb_child_sexual_exploitation_on_twitter.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/technology/twitter-child-sex-abuse.html

wow, it is almost as if every platform can have a csam problem and that having Musk doesn't mean that CSAM goes away. In fact slashing and firing employees from compliance departments probably doesn't mean that you will have better compliance.

Also inb4 some musk fan calls all the things I posted biased drivel or some variation of that.

43 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

slashing and firing employees from compliance departments probably doesn't mean that you will have better compliance.

Deserved! they didn't do they're job before musk, or only did it when it benefited them i.e. : posting pedo content: no problem, reporting pedos: ban! .... The people doing the reporting, not the actual pedos

That's what the trust and safety board amounted too before musk.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Decentralized also doesn't actually have the intrinsic property of not being able to police things either.  They could easily have built into the protocol their ability to.  As a note, Skype protocol was decentralized and they still managed to police things back in the day.

Yes, "unable to police" is exactly what the decentralised approach means. I have no clue why you think Skype was decentralised since it was controlled by a single (centralised) entity.

Complaining about Mastodon not being policed is like complaining about the blockchain not being policed. It's a system designed to be intrinsically unpoliceable.

However, the entire discussion is futile because this has nothing to do with the BBC's Mastodon server.

-= Cleaned =-

Lets stay on topic, im not in the mood to hand out warnings today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Interesting.  I've seen other media outlets try to start their own ... social media like/ message board like community.  What often kills them is that the community is very focused.  On a social media people want to able to widely share all manner of things and need wide latitude to do so.   They often won't stick with it. 

Interesting thought.  I wonder if at some point LTT might consider shuttering the forum and moving to a product like Mastodon.  Taking advantage of that open source product ... maybe people can pay a nominal fee/year to cover some of the cost?  Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I wonder if at some point LTT might consider shuttering the forum and moving to a product like Mastodon.  Taking advantage of that open source product ... maybe people can pay a nominal fee/year to cover some of the cost?

Likely not. The forum does offer the option of a forum subscription to which some do pay for. The forum is currently in no financial shortfall.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

44 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Likely not. The forum does offer the option of a forum subscription to which some do pay for. The forum is currently in no financial shortfall.

Really?  I had no idea. 
LTT does stand as an example of how to do social media right, including, in a small way, their own platform(s).  I hope things go well for the BBC. 

48 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Really?  I had no idea. 
LTT does stand as an example of how to do social media right, including, in a small way, their own platform(s).  I hope things go well for the BBC. 

image.png.87a1270ecc5b17acf7fb6ee35eb670da.png

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

they didn't do they're job before musk, or only did it when it benefited them i.e. : posting pedo content: no problem, reporting pedos: ban! .... The people doing the reporting, not the actual pedos

That's what the trust and safety board amounted too before musk

Got any hard data for that or is that hearsay/anecdotal evidence? I showed you that CSAM exists, it might have gone up or down we can't say. And it is also logical to follow that more people working in compliance=compliance improvements. However saying that they were allowing for posting of CSAM without regards seems a bit fishy.