Electric car that can drive up to 700km (435 miles) before recharging

SeljD

So, this is some Slovenian article, I'll give some basic info, for the rest you'll need to use google translate option on chrome (right click, translate to English)

Article link: http://www.siol.net/avtomoto/zanimivosti/reportaze/2014/05/zgodbe_strojev_metron_7_pecjak_letrika_ev_enoprostorec_domet_700_kilometrov.aspx

The company: http://www.letrika.com/en/

So this is an electrical car with 7 seats that is based on Mazda 5. It's called Metron 7 and it's made by company called Letrika. The car weights 1700kg (3747 pounds) and it uses 50Kw electrical engin that weights around 34kg (75 pounds).

If you drive on Slovenian highway (120-130kmh or 74-81mph) can go up to 400km  (248.5 miles) and the max length  driven is 700km (435 miles).

They already make engine for small car called Renault Twizy, but that can drive only around 100km (62 miles).

Apparently Liberty Electric Cars will make a car this year which will go 1000miles: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120119-electric-car-2014-1000-miles

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..

I'll believe it when they demonstrate it actually working(without bursting into flames) and they bring it to market..

Edit: Hold up.. Look at the rear of that van. The way the back is hanging low makes it look like the rear of the car is overloaded with more weight than the suspension can handle... Did they really just shove an assload of batteries in the back and call it "engineering"? I'll bet Elon Musk facepalms hard when/if he sees this..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

So basically the car has ~70 horsepower and you still can't go anywhere in it. I love electric cars.

I think that's a good compromise: If you want to go further you could just catch a bus, train, cheap plane or rent a gas car.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just bought a car about 6 months ago, hope by the next time i need to buy a car an electric car will be a reasonable option.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Do the batteries tha power it burst into flames like they do in Tesla cars?

That only ever happened once and the car itself wasnt at fault

So basically the car has ~70 horsepower and you still can't go anywhere in it. I love electric cars.

300~ miles is nowhere? you do realize that means you can easily drive 150 miles anywhere and still get home.

Do the batteries that power it burst into flames like they do in Tesla cars?

You mean when the battery pack gets punctured with a force of 25 tonnes? I doubt a gas tank would fare much better, or be a better result if a fire started. Gas explosions are very bad.

Just bought a car about 6 months ago, hope by the next time i need to buy a car an electric car will be a reasonable option.

Same here. I bought a lightly used car last year, so I've got another decade at least before I can justify buying one. 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The only problem is the lack of charging stations, here in the UK they're quite rare(in the part of the UK I live in).

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

*Facepalm*

300~ miles is nowhere? you do realize that means you can easily drive 150 miles anywhere and still get home.

Moreover, how many of you truly commute or travel more than 100 miles routinely anyway (as in once every couple of months)? People complain an awful lot about travel distances and horse power when in reality the vast majority of people only ever commute and drive within city limits at traffic gridlock speeds anyway.

And besides, like I said it's not like the options for longer commutes disappear: you can still rent a gas car (or even own one) for those occasional times where you might truly need more autonomy. It still would be fuck tons better than saying "No, since I can't visit my family on thanksgiving that one time of the year where I actually drive more than 435 miles I must continue to treat the atmosphere as my personal toilet, VROOM VROOOM MOTHERFUCKERS!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Edit: Hold up.. Look at the rear of that van. The way the back is hanging low makes it look like the rear of the car is overloaded with more weight than the suspension can handle... Did they really just shove an assload of batteries in the back and call it "engineering"? I'll bet Elon Musk facepalms hard when/if he sees this..

Yeah i noticed that too xD That rear suspension is struggling at best

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The only problem is the lack of charging stations, here in the UK they're quite rare(in the part of the UK I live in).

In London and Manchester they are quite common. You could probably find one within 30 minutes in those two cities.

*Facepalm*

What?

You mean when the battery pack gets punctured with a force of 25 tonnes? I doubt a gas tank would fare much better, or be a better result if a fire started. Gas explosions are very bad.

Same here. I bought a lightly used car last year, so I've got another decade at least before I can justify buying one. 

But petrol spilling is only a problem when there is a flame or spark to ignite it. The battery packs will set on fire as soon as they are punctured.

That only ever happened once and the car itself wasnt at fault

It has happened 3 times.

You can just convert your car to electrical, one of the people that made that car has private company (very very small) is converting cars to electric. Most of them are small cars like Smart, Mini but he already made electric Mazda RX5 and some bigger family cars.

Electric cars were never meant for long-haul drives. They'll fit the needs of every city driver, which is the majority of drivers. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Moreover, how many of you truly commute or travel more than 100 miles routinely anyway (as in once every couple of months)? People complain an awful lot about travel distances and horse power when in reality the vast majority of people only ever commute and drive within city limits at traffic gridlock speeds anyway.

And besides, like I said it's not like the options for longer commutes disappear: you can still rent a gas car (or even own one) for those occasional times where you might truly need more autonomy. It still would be fuck tons better than saying "No, since I can't visit my family on thanksgiving that one time of the year where I actually drive more than 435 miles I must continue to treat the atmosphere as my personal toilet, VROOM VROOOM MOTHERFUCKERS!"

Because logic dictates that humanity at large is retarded. HERP DERP NEED MOAR POWER OMG CHOO CHOO.

like seriously, do you even understand how far 100 miles is? i could drive to disney, back to tampa, and then go around for groceries without recharging (thats 100 miles), now imagine the 260 they advertise at high speeds. i could go to disney and back 3 times before i think about recharging.

and no one realizes most commuter cars are around 115 horsepower anyway, not like anyone cares then. It's gotten to the point i think people are brainwashed to hate reducing poisonous waste.

It has happened 3 times.

There are over 150,000 vehicle fires every year already, and around 3,000 of them (2%) started with the fuel tank or fuel lines, and those fires caused 15% of the total deaths. (Source) There were a thousand times more gasoline-based fires in 2012 than there have been Tesla fires to date.

With any product things are going to go wrong, and Tesla is no exception. We don't have enough data to make an informed statement about whether their battery packs are statistically more or less safe, that will take time.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

You can just convert your car to electrical, one of the people that made that car has private company (very very small) is converting cars to electric. Most of them are small cars like Smart, Mini but he already made electric Mazda RX5 and some bigger family cars.

A fully electric 2014 Camaro would be pretty bad ass....

But i live in an area where the only place that i can top off is my apartment, and that would be a pain because id have to pay for them to run a line out to the garages (and get one myself) to power it.

Who knows though, in not too long it could be a no brainer to do it.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

seriously do you do anything else than flame bait?

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

seriously do you do anything else than flame bait?

What?

Its a valid question.

If they dont explode in flames when crashed, then I cant see why it isnt a great thing. It is one of the main criticisms of Tesla cars, and if a new brand of car can fix that and still be nice to drive then its going to be popular. I dont want to burn to death in a car accident, do you?

What?

Its a valid question.

If they dont explode in flames when crashed, then I cant see why it isnt a great thing. It is one of the main criticisms of Tesla cars, and if a new brand of car can fix that and still be nice to drive then its going to be popular. I dont want to burn to death in a car accident, do you?

yes 3 cars caught fire, compared to the other thousand fuel consuming cars which no one reports about since its been going on for years. 

And also if i remember correctly no one was injured in the fires

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

yes 3 cars caught fire, compared to the other thousand fuel consuming cars which no one reports about since its been going on for years. 

All cars consume a fuel. What you wrote doesnt make much sense. I am assuming by "fuel consuming cars" you mean ones that use oil based liquids and gases as a source of energy.

There are less battery powered cars than fossil fuel powered cars.

There are other electric cars than Teslas, but Ive not heard about those bursting into flames.