Electric car that can drive up to 700km (435 miles) before recharging

SeljD

What?

Its a valid question.

If they dont explode in flames when crashed, then I cant see why it isnt a great thing. It is one of the main criticisms of Tesla cars, and if a new brand of car can fix that and still be nice to drive then its going to be popular. I dont want to burn to death in a car accident, do you?

yes there were incidents but i think due to media coverage of the brand i think they have been blown out of proportion. Not only have they received the highest safety rating ever but since those incidents they improved the "armor" under the car so much that it crushes rock if you hit it. Not to mention when an electric car gets into an accident turning it off stops 99.99999999% of the issues that combustion cars can run into, there are no leaking fluids to catch fire, there are no flammable fluids to clean up, the engine isn't even in the front but when you turn the key power stops instantly. Just about the safest car on the road it seems.

If Michigan had those turbo charging stations and they weren't 90k, i would've bought one. But sadly living in a state that was built on internal combustion it is going to take us a long time to get with the times.

Ninja edit: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s about half way down he talks about the safety a little bit, granted its not the best form to quote but he cites sources.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

All cars consume a fuel. What you wrote doesnt make much sense. I am assuming by "fuel consuming cars" you mean ones that use oil based liquids and gases as a source of energy.

There are less battery powered cars than fossil fuel powered cars.

There are other electric cars than Teslas, but Ive not heard about those bursting into flames.

Yeah okay i meant fossil fuel, and yeah but thats also partially because they havent sold nearly as many cars as tesla has

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Do the batteries that power it burst into flames like they do in Tesla cars?

Lol because it's not like gas/diesel powered vehicles burst into flames 1000x more often or anything....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Lol it's not like gas/diesel powered vehicles burst into flames 1000x more often or anything....

They do?

Lol it's not like gas/diesel powered vehicles burst into flames 1000x more often or anything....

Diesel less so, if you throw a lit match into a bucket of diesel the match will go out.

If you crash then yes, batteries dont react well to compression. Internal combustion engines are still a lot more dangerous killing more per year however you wouldnt know that because the media is fucked.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If you crash then yes, batteries dont react well to compression. Internal combustion engines are still a lot more dangerous killing more per year however you wouldnt know that because the media is fucked.

yeah, especialy with the internet its literally impossible to get the truth! Did you know giraffes actually eat meat and hunt wilderbeast and similar animals? thats another thing the media are trying to cover up.

yeah, especialy with the internet its literally impossible to get the truth! Did you know giraffes actually eat meat and hunt wilderbeast and similar animals? thats another thing the media are trying to cover up.

Yep, abe lincoln posted a pic proving it on instagram....

"Never mind the fact that the drivers involved in the Tesla car fires suffered zero injuries and one of those drivers CRASHED INTO A CONCRETE WALL AT 110MPH and then walked away from the accident unscathed." - The Oatmeal

Like what the Matthew Inman said: "People are primates. And we react to primal things -- things such as fire,blood and boobs. Which is why last year when 3 Tesla Model S caught fire, the world responded like a mob of fractious orangutans."

With that said, therefore i conclude you are an orangutan. Hahaha :P

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

300~ miles is nowhere? you do realize that means you can easily drive 150 miles anywhere and still get home.

Sure 150 miles is fine for every day use, but what happens when you have to go further than that? Like visiting family a state over, going on holiday etc etc. You would need an entirely separate car for that. I'd say I easily break the 400 miles limit at least every other month. What's worse though is the power. I'm sorry if you think I'm retarded for saying 70 horsepower isn't a lot. 70 horsepower is most definitely enough to power most small family cars but this is not a small family car, it's a 1700kg lump of metal and electronics. It's not that the car isn't a racecar, I get most people don't care about that, but it is a BIG SAFETY CONCERN. Underpowered cars (and especially the people who drive them like they're not underpowered) are responsible for some of the most ridiculously dangerous overtakings on the road because they often simply cannot pass another car on the road in a responsible manner (that doesn't stop them from trying though).

A completely different concern is though is the environment issues. I do very much agree that we need a solution that's not gas, and coming from a "petrolhead" that should be saying a lot. But what does it help to build a vastly inferior vehicle because it's electric and eco friendly, when you then continue to burn 8 tons of coal to charge it? Exactly what is the benefit other than limiting yourself? If you can guarantee that your power is only coming form wind, wave or other environmentally friendly sources good for you, but most people can't. Why not instead look at an alternate fuel that drastically decreases our reliability on petrol while keeping the convenience and drastically reducing the so-called "carbon footprint"? It's not like the solution isn't out there, E85 or straight up Methanol, and it works. It bloody well works. You get to keep your power, you get to keep your range, actually you get a cleaner combustion that ultimately allows for less harmful emissions and more power. Why would you not use this?

As long as the electric car is safe, I would be fine. I don't really care how far it can go since I don't really have any more than 2 hours of commute a day.

what about heat, ac, radio, that all costs range in electric cars, they sure love to say "up to"

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

As long as the electric car is safe, I would be fine. I don't really care how far it can go since I don't really have any more than 2 hours of commute a day.

And if you go on longer road, you can just rent a car

So how many whiny lobbyists for the oil companies will it be this time?

tesla fires etc

Tesla gave every car a free upgraded battery shield to combat the problem. They might still set fire if in a crash, but you are more likely to survive the crash due to its safety. Apparently it is one of the safest cars to be in an accident with, it actually broke some of the gesting equiptment when they tried to crush its roof. And since there is no engine in the front the entire bonnet is  a crumple zone. It also had the strongest sides in an impact and retains something like 70% of drivers space, where as a volvo (cant remember) retained like 10%.

So, if you crash, there is a small chance of fire (in a crazy crash) you are more likely to not be crushed, and so far nobody was injured int he fire. There are thousands of care fires every year so its a worry for any car

"In 2003-2007, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per year.  These fires caused an average of 480 civilian deaths, 1,525 civilian injuries, and $1.3 billion in direct property damage annually. "

http://www.nfpa.org/research/reports-and-statistics/vehicle-fires/vehicle-fire-trends-and-patterns

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They do?

You should read this comic explaining the fires rumors: http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/tesla_model_s/fires.png

and if you care, here's the whole comic by The Oatmeal, about what it's like to own one: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

I'm personally very excited. I've never been a car person at all and yet the more I learn about this car (and other electric cars that are pushing the technology available within cars) the more interested I am. I live in Central America and we're probably decades away from implementing these but it's still very interesting. I want to believe this is the future. The nerd in me would be happier bragging about how my car runs on electricity than "my car has xyz motor and goes from 0 to -50 in 11 parsecs".

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |