Windows 11 - 23H1 (Moment 3) - Feature Update - Out Soon!

GoodBytes

Microsoft released a new feature update for Windows 11 - version 23H1, called internally as Moment 3 Update.

This update contains a series of small improvements across the OS user experience.

Here is a list of the more notable changes:

Taskbar

• Ability to show seconds on the task bar clock. The option is accessible under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behavior.
  • New animated Taskbar weather icons
  • You can now quickly copy 2FA codes from notifications.
    Sko2Zai36XNeNmjgMmtYhQ-1200-80.thumb.png.2916a58033a51f9e2660de4f0210a3d7.png

USB 4 - Improvements

• If your system has USB 4, there is a new settings page under Settings panel > Bluetooth & devices > USB > USB4 Hubs and Devices. This panel allows you to view the connected devices. 
    windows-11-USB4-settings-page.thumb.jpg.4f05de5429137141c0709a5f0d132796.jpg

If you have connection issues or need to troubleshoot something, this panel can potentially come in handy to make sure everything checks out.

Widgets Panel

• The Widget panel separates Widgets and MSN News feed and brings a larger view.
    rj8kwQhJ8zdCVBXvgnMrXC.thumb.png.24119f694a3bb0160d0dc5e8e044e009.png

• New Widget Picker panel.
    This allows custom widgets from third-party to be added and find more from the Store app, as they come out later.
    It also brings a visual representation of the widget, so that you can see beforehand how it will look.
    Picker.webp.9eb44ada6b83c7b4cabdc1d91e4d16e7.webp

For the full release notes:
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/05/11/releasing-windows-11-build-22621-1776-to-the-release-preview-channel/

Sources:
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/05/11/releasing-windows-11-build-22621-1776-to-the-release-preview-channel/
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/windows-11-may-june-2023-feature-drop-changelog

As usual Windows Central does a video tour of some of the new features, if it interests you:

Small update indeed. Nothing too big, unless you like widgets.

Personally still waiting for the one feature they removed and are supposedly working to bring back for the fall update...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-finally-gets-a-never-combine-taskbar-buttons-mode/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Personally still waiting for the one feature they removed and are supposedly working to bring back for the fall update...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-finally-gets-a-never-combine-taskbar-buttons-mode/

Yah, I installed the dev branch on a laptop and it's very nice having those options back. Waiting for it to roll up the branches now 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Nope, still nothing... Most tech sites talking about this being "out" for weeks despite not being actually released...

18 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Nope, still nothing... Most tech sites talking about this being "out" for weeks despite not being actually released...

Release Preview channel it looks like. 

I just want some of the base features to be less broken.

For example, have a HDD with lets say video files that are 5 GB in size that Windows can't generate icons for.  Going to the folder will sometimes trigger it from going from detailed to icon view and it's waiting 10-15 seconds for it to go through the files generating icons before it lets you do anything (literally the whole explorer freezes up).  For supposedly being re-designed, they are missing so many basic features that should have been implemented before continuing on.

The one that still annoys me the most is they still don't allow non-collapsed taskbars (if I have 2 windows open it's a pain having to scroll the mouse to the bottom, hover over, then return my mouse to the top while using a track pad).

And basic sound control per program easier...they had it right back in Windows 7, click and you get what you need quick, simple and intuitive.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

still going to hang onto win10 for a few more years, win 11 still doesn't give me any reason trust Microsoft and linux is getting better but still not quite there for ease of use and compatibility with software I typically use.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

3 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

linux is getting better but still not quite there for ease of use

Thats a bit ambigius, it entirely depends on ones use-case. For exame my father was a windows user. He was so fed up with ms's bs thet he tried kubuntu. Hasnt looked back ever since..... (his use case is what you expect from an average user, does most things in a browser, light word processing, some old games[it was a breeze with lutrjs])

so long widgets dont have the same issues like the older systems, like on windows 7. to the phone apps and adware, like msn with what options?

dev drive sounds cool, virtual disk if it works better than previous formatting and storage solutions.

to dev home a bit older update I guess, but found this funny.

https://youtu.be/IgX_kSMHHyc?t=891

Edited by Quackers101

10 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Release Preview channel it looks like. 

Why all news sites STILL keep posting it all over the place like it's final release to the public. This is beyond idiotic. I want to know when it rolls out to general public, not 300 previews for several months. Ugh.

Seconds yey. As for USB4 neat, now we just need stuff to come with it more widespread.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Why all news sites STILL keep posting it all over the place like it's final release to the public. This is beyond idiotic. I want to know when it rolls out to general public, not 300 previews for several months. Ugh.

Different reason. One is that journalist don't understand the insider program. And Seems like Microsoft is making final patches, creating delays.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:00 AM, GoodBytes said:

Ability to show seconds on the task bar clock.

Good, I wanted this.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:49 AM, wanderingfool2 said:

some of the base features to be less broken.

For some odd reason, MS thinks that people will change the way they use windows with the latest update, but most of the time, new features are so half baked that people just continue using it like old versions of windows.

Fundamentally most people I know haven't changed much about the way they use the OS since like XP. Window snapping might be the only thing that I have actually implemented in my workflow since XP and not much else. Windows would be a nice OS if it didn't have so much jank and features weren't so broken and almost unfixed for years at a time.

Couple that with the truly weird decision making and a strange lack of features, newer versions of windows don't offer something better than the previous. 

14 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Couple that with the truly weird decision making and a strange lack of features, newer versions of windows don't offer something better than the previous. 

The rounded edges are neat though.

In all seriousness though, development of W11 seems to be going at a snails pace. They still haven't introduced significant features to win over most of the W10 users. For me the big selling point was Auto-HDR which turned out to be meh. The best thing most people can do is keep using W10 until the security updates stop coming in. If W11 hasn't significantly improved unitl October 2025 they have 2 choices: Push back W10 EOL or force the update to W11 and risk losing a chunk of users to Mac and Linux in the process.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:30 PM, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft released a new feature update for Windows 11 - version 23H1, called internally as Moment 3 Update.

This update contains a series of small improvements across the OS user experience.

Here is a list of the more notable changes:

Taskbar

• Ability to show seconds on the task bar clock. The option is accessible under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behavior.
  • New animated Taskbar weather icons
  • You can now quickly copy 2FA codes from notifications.
    Sko2Zai36XNeNmjgMmtYhQ-1200-80.thumb.png.2916a58033a51f9e2660de4f0210a3d7.png

USB 4 - Improvements

• If your system has USB 4, there is a new settings page under Settings panel > Bluetooth & devices > USB > USB4 Hubs and Devices. This panel allows you to view the connected devices. 
    windows-11-USB4-settings-page.thumb.jpg.4f05de5429137141c0709a5f0d132796.jpg

If you have connection issues or need to troubleshoot something, this panel can potentially come in handy to make sure everything checks out.

Widgets Panel

• The Widget panel separates Widgets and MSN News feed and brings a larger view.
    rj8kwQhJ8zdCVBXvgnMrXC.thumb.png.24119f694a3bb0160d0dc5e8e044e009.png

• New Widget Picker panel.
    This allows custom widgets from third-party to be added and find more from the Store app, as they come out later.
    It also brings a visual representation of the widget, so that you can see beforehand how it will look.
    Picker.webp.9eb44ada6b83c7b4cabdc1d91e4d16e7.webp

For the full release notes:

Sources:
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/windows-11-may-june-2023-feature-drop-changelog

As usual Windows Central does a video tour of some of the new features, if it interests you:

Nice post 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

14 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The best thing most people can do is keep using W10 until the security updates stop coming in.

I used to think like that. Earlier this year I took the plunge and did an in place update to Win11 on both my main desktop and laptop. I kept an image of the Win10 install in case I want to roll back. I have never considered using it.

There are differences between Win10 and Win11 for sure, good and bad, but overall nothing is so bad to make me look back. Everything still works. Some changes take some getting used to. Maybe there are some edge cases where Win11 can't work yet, but I feel we are well past the point where most people can use Win11 fine.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

I used to think like that. Earlier this year I took the plunge and did an in place update to Win11 on both my main desktop and laptop. I kept an image of the Win10 install in case I want to roll back. I have never considered using it.

There are differences between Win10 and Win11 for sure, good and bad, but overall nothing is so bad to make me look back. Everything still works. Some changes take some getting used to. Maybe there are some edge cases where Win11 can't work yet, but I feel we are well past the point where most people can use Win11 fine.

The thing isn't that it's much worse than W10, but it isn't significantly better either. So most people don't have any incentive to do the upgrade. Not to mention updating without a fresh install can lead to loads of problems. At least that's how it was for me.

And now they're updating some widget stuff most people probably don't even use, while other things like the right click context menu that everyone is using is still awful. Their progress is insanely slow and their priorities are completely off.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'll settle for one unified control panel that does not lose access to settings that existed before.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:30 PM, GoodBytes said:

Ability to show seconds on the task bar clock.

H-WHAT?? It took them THIS long to give me a freakin seconds option? why? how? this has been in Win10 all this time?

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

H-WHAT?? It took them THIS long to give me a freakin seconds option? why? how? this has been in Win10 all this time?

Insiders had it for a very long time. It didn't make it on the last version of Win11. So, from the official release side it looked like it took forever.

Also, this is because, like all other taskbar missing features, Microsoft decided to rewrite the taskbar code. It's a long story, but essentially, Win11 was done under a year during the pandemic and released. So, the taskbar was unfinished, unfortunately. They were ways to force seconds to show, but it was not updating correctly, skipping numbers. Clearly there was issue with the rendering engine of the new taskbar that needed some work.

47 minutes ago, Isuck Assimov said:

i just want the Windows 11 RGB Lighting Control 😭

It is still in the works.

Also, currently, it looks like Razor is the only one enthusiast in supporting it:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/component-guidelines/dynamic-lighting-devices#currently-compatible-devices

Looks like ASUS will only add support for newer devices only. As for Logitech and Acer "More details to come"... so, probably the same thing or much later.

I hope reviewers will be harsh on companies who just forces their crap on users, one this comes out. Even though it will most likely miss advance features (individual LED control, match what is on screen, follow CPU/GPU temps, etc). Pressure is needed.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:48 PM, TetraSky said:

Apple likes widgets. But what Microsoft is not desktop widgets. https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/05/apple-announces-macos-sonoma-with-desktop-widgets-and-more/

Omg, it's a signature!