Rant of people talking about build Quality.(Warning: If you do not like rants, don't read)

So I did a poll once, S5 vs M8, and saw other polls too, and even though the post put "EXPLAIN WHY" in caps and bold or whatever, people happily just say "M8 because of the build quality" Now I love the Metal Body of the M8, it is fantastic for what it is, but people be rational, you do know, Metal gets dents way more easily? It also gets scratches more easily making it ugly after awhile making the build quality feel go away with time, if it is scratched up and dented. I mean look at other companies, LG, Motorola, Apple(5C), Sony, OnePlus, Oppo, do they make Metal phones? DO THEY?! So please, enough with your M8 cause of build quality, Yes it is beautiful in all aspects and should be adopted by others, but if you look at the other phone companies, they also don't really make Metal Phones either. I mean if I had ever had to buy a iPhone for build quality, I would go with the 5C, because for it feels natural and just more enjoyable to use. So all in all, please stop with this build quality nonsense, in the tech world is does have relevance yes, but does that mean, you could have the best Build Quality, but limited Functionality? Or  phone that has good functionality but just not such a great build quality.

Sorry if you did not like the rant, I have not been sleeping lately due to exams, so I just wanted to rant about this, thanks for reading, and remember, if someone asks why one phone over the other, don't just say one thing and post, they need your help, that is why they ask. 

/rant

A song to listen too if you want to read this post:

Or this, Original one:

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

im going back to the front page

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Surprised you even responded

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I think you're mistaking build quality with quality of materials.

Build quality would be how everything fits together, quality control, etc. Not the materials.

Companies make phones with glass backs. Tell me that's any better than metal and you're crazy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It is all about feeling, metal phones "FEEL" better than plastic phones. They feel strong, high quality, expensive. The smooth cold feeling lets you know it means business. Plastic doesnt feel that good in the hand.

It isnt about practicality, the materials help the end user feel like that have had more value out of a purchase, which is important with 600$ smart phones.

Also asking about "what is best" between the M8 and S5, they are too similar in my opinion. Both android phones, both powerful, both with great features. Really it just comes down to peoples biased opinions , perhaps they prefer one company over the other, one material over the other.

You cannot really expect people to be objective, especially on a tech forum.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Build quality would be how everything fits together, quality control, etc. Not the materials.

Companies make phones with glass backs. Tell me that's any better than metal and you're crazy.

my iphone 4 lasted and looks way better than my iphone 5 also it feels better built because its solid unlike the piece of shit iphone 5.

my iphone 4 lasted and looks way better than my iphone 5 also it feels better built because its solid unlike the piece of shit iphone 5.

Finally someone who can agrees the Iphone 5 feels like shit, all I hear my friends say that it is so freaking Fantastic vs everything else, even the M8, they are true Fanboys, which just makes me sick

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

I am so suprised, so many people are reading this stupid rant, but my other 'good' threads no one really cares about, well except for the phone vs phone thread.

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

I think you are wrong, believing "build quality" ONLY describes "how everything fits together, quality control, etc. Not the materials."

Finally someone who can agrees the Iphone 5 feels like shit, all I hear my friends say that it is so freaking Fantastic vs everything else, even the M8, they are true Fanboys, which just makes me sick

Imho my 5S does feel better than the 4S, but neither of them fit my hand as well as the 3GS with it's rounded back (though obviously thicker and heavier).

But even compared to my 3GS, my roommates Galaxy S3 feels cheap.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

We get it. You like plastic phones. That's great! You have a lot to choose from. The people in this community just tend to disagree with you. You'll also find a general dislike for plastic in computer cases around here.

I like things that feel substantial strong. and the look of metal is nice, too. It being a stronger, more expensive, higher-quality material, it makes me feel like I'm getting something worth paying for.

As for why other companies don't really make metal phones, it's because it's really difficult and really, really, really expensive. Apple had to spend an ungodly amount of money designing and building the factories to make its unibody devices on the scale it does. If you watch HTC's video introducing the M7, you'll hear them talk about how much time, effort, and money went into designing the machining process to make the 1-block-of-aluminum shell for the One. That R&D costs lots of money that they need to make back, and each phone costs substantially more than it would if it were made out of plastic. HTC is making less profit off of each device than Samsung, because cost more to make and have additional r&d costs associated with production, but with most people buying their phones subsidized on-contract, they're not really getting any more for them.

So it's a risk for them to make a device like the One, but they believe that it's a good product that people will want to buy and that it deserves to be brought to market, and a lot of people here agree. And we want to support the idea so we can see more of it. And I know, at least for me personally, I want to support companies taking risks to deliver different and revolutionary products. Take the One's camera for example. It has it's problems (especially the M7's) but I really like the idea behind it, and I want to see that project continue.

So that's what it comes down to -- what you value in a device. I think the M8 is a better device than the S5. You may have a dissenting opinion, and that's fine. But it's really, really not something to get worked up about.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

We get it. You like plastic phones. That's great! You have a lot to choose from. The people in this community just tend to disagree with you. You'll also find a general dislike for plastic in computer cases around here.

I like things that feel substantial strong. and the look of metal is nice, too. It being a stronger, more expensive, higher-quality material, it makes me feel like I'm getting something worth paying for.

As for why other companies don't really make metal phones, it's because it's really difficult and really, really, really expensive. Apple had to spend an ungodly amount of money designing and building the factories to make its unibody devices on the scale it does. If you watch HTC's video introducing the M7, you'll hear them talk about how much time, effort, and money went into designing the machining process to make the 1-block-of-aluminum shell for the One. That R&D costs lots of money that they need to make back, and each phone costs substantially more than it would if it were made out of plastic. HTC is making less profit off of each device than Samsung, because cost more to make and have additional r&d costs associated with production, but with most people buying their phones subsidized on-contract, they're not really getting any more for them.

So it's a risk for them to make a device like the One, but they believe that it's a good product that people will want to buy and that it deserves to be brought to market, and a lot of people here agree. And we want to support the idea so we can see more of it. And I know, at least for me personally, I want to support companies taking risks to deliver different and revolutionary products. Take the One's camera for example. It has it's problems (especially the M7's) but I really like the idea behind it, and I want to see that project continue.

So that's what it comes down to -- what you value in a device. I think the M8 is a better device than the S5. You may have a dissenting opinion, and that's fine. But it's really, really not something to get worked up about.

I am not talking about myself liking plastic phones, I am getting the M8 as my next phone, but I would like people to explain to those who ask why they say the M8 and not just talk about the Build quality and metal or whatever, I want people to also elaborate on other things too, it will help the person asking.

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

To be honest I really dislike plastic phones. I don't understand why people pay $500 for a phone and I get a piece of plastic that feels like it is worth $20. I own an iPhone 5s and I really love the metal it just makes the phone look classy and it looks like it is worth $800. Yes, metal dints easily, but plastic can crack and in my opinion a cracked phone looks worse than a dented phone.

I like phones with good build quality and my nokia lumia 920 atm has very good build quality, btw its very good plastic body. Metal vs Plastic argument is just stupid, some metals are very weak like pewter or pure aluminium when the sheets are too thin. While some plastics such as polyuratane are used as engine mounts and on wheels for massive conveyor belt. Metal construction doesn't mean good build quality and plastic construction does't mean bad quality, quality is decided on a case to case basis. 

I am not talking about myself liking plastic phones, I am getting the M8 as my next phone, but I would like people to explain to those who ask why they say the M8 and not just talk about the Build quality and metal or whatever, I want people to also elaborate on other things too, it will help the person asking.

The problem is that that's the major feature of the phone. That's the major selling point. It's a like asking "Why should I get this TV instead of another one? And don't say anything about picture quality!"

There are other good things about the phone, of course. I like the camera. The M7 had some problems, but I think the M8's looks great and I like the Ultrapixel concept. The screen is a nice IPS panel, which I prefer to Samsung's OLED screen. I think boom sound is one of the greatest changes to be made to smartphones ever, and I can't believe it took someone this freaking long to put stereo speakers facing the viewer. I prefer Sense to Touchwiz (by which I mean Sense is okay and Touchwiz is terrible) or LG's Optimus or whatever they call it. The Battery life is pretty good. From my experience, the radios work pretty well (which is a problem Samsung phones).

It's not perfect. I wish it had a removable battery (maybe slot-loading?), or at least wireless charging. And I honestly really like the physical home button on Samsung devices. Plus I really like the menu button, but I also just really like consolidated context menus (dat information density).

Linus did a whole review on the phone, and had things to say about almost every aspect of it. People talk about things other than the build quality. I just did. But they're most vocal about the build quality because that's the big thing, that's the selling point. That's the feature that differentiates this device from everything else out there. Like you said--no one else is making an (android) phone like that. Not LG, not Motorola, not Samsung, nobody. That's the point. HTC's whole campaign was "Think Different." So why wouldn't we talk about it?

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

This is a complete bastardization of the original song.  <_<

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The problem is that that's the major feature of the phone. That's the major selling point. It's a like asking "Why should I get this TV instead of another one? And don't say anything about picture quality!"

There are other good things about the phone, of course. I like the camera. The M7 had some problems, but I think the M8's looks great and I like the Ultrapixel concept. The screen is a nice IPS panel, which I prefer to Samsung's OLED screen. I think boom sound is one of the greatest changes to be made to smartphones ever, and I can't believe it took someone this freaking long to put stereo speakers facing the viewer. I prefer Sense to Touchwiz (by which I mean Sense is okay and Touchwiz is terrible) or LG's Optimus or whatever they call it. The Battery life is pretty good. From my experience, the radios work pretty well (which is a problem Samsung phones).

It's not perfect. I wish it had a removable battery (maybe slot-loading?), or at least wireless charging. And I honestly really like the physical home button on Samsung devices. Plus I really like the menu button, but I also just really like consolidated context menus (dat information density).

Linus did a whole review on the phone, and had things to say about almost every aspect of it. People talk about things other than the build quality. I just did. But they're most vocal about the build quality because that's the big thing, that's the selling point. That's the feature that differentiates this device from everything else out there. Like you said--no one else is making an (android) phone like that. Not LG, not Motorola, not Samsung, nobody. That's the point. HTC's whole campaign was "Think Different." So why wouldn't we talk about it?

Holy balls you just pictured the most Perfect smartphone I could have ever imagined of, wow that is actually brilliant, now I want one.

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

This is a complete bastardization of the original song.  <_<

Yea, Soz, I was going to post the Original, which I listen to, but I was lazy to find the link  :P

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

I've said this over and over again.

Feeling premium when you hold it != high build quality.

Not feeling premium when you hold it != poor build quality.

HTC fanboys are just as bad as Apple fanboys these days.

I think aluminum is an awful material to make phones out of. What we should push for are the more exotic types of plastic like Zylon and Kevlar. Far better than aluminum in every single way.

@captainlolz7 THANK YOU for this thread and thank you @LAwLz for pointing out that the "premium feel" of phones does not mean it is well built and that aluminum is a terrible choice of material for phones (because it is).

I have been so annoyed over the past few months with all the metal phone fanboys saying that certain phones are better than other phones because it has dat "premium feel."  Pretty soon these people are going to be buying aluminum controllers for their Xbox (gotta have dat premium feel for CoD).

IMO the textured soft touch plastic of newer phones and devices is much more superior in terms of durability and comfort in the hand. With self-healing materials on the horizon, I can't why anyone would want an aluminum device... oh wait I forgot: dat "premium feel."

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I just laugh when i see someone who buys an M8 for the build quality and metal back and all...

And then puts a plastic case to not ruin the finish

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

So I did a poll once, S5 vs M8, and saw other polls too, and even though the post put "EXPLAIN WHY" in caps and bold or whatever, people happily just say "M8 because of the build quality" Now I love the Metal Body of the M8, it is fantastic for what it is, but people be rational, you do know, Metal gets dents way more easily? It also gets scratches more easily making it ugly after awhile making the build quality feel go away with time, if it is scratched up and dented. I mean look at other companies, LG, Motorola, Apple(5C), Sony, OnePlus, Oppo, do they make Metal phones? DO THEY?! So please, enough with your M8 cause of build quality, Yes it is beautiful in all aspects and should be adopted by others, but if you look at the other phone companies, they also don't really make Metal Phones either. I mean if I had ever had to buy a iPhone for build quality, I would go with the 5C, because for it feels natural and just more enjoyable to use. So all in all, please stop with this build quality nonsense, in the tech world is does have relevance yes, but does that mean, you could have the best Build Quality, but limited Functionality? Or  phone that has good functionality but just not such a great build quality.

Sorry if you did not like the rant, I have not been sleeping lately due to exams, so I just wanted to rant about this, thanks for reading, and remember, if someone asks why one phone over the other, don't just say one thing and post, they need your help, that is why they ask. 

/rant

A song to listen too if you want to read this post:

Or this, Original one:

but dude most people 90% of people just put a case on while the other 10% want to say well this phone has great build quality and end up dropping the phone and cry that the build quality is bad that is how the case was invented

$$金Trill金$$

I think aluminum is an awful material to make phones out of. What we should push for are the more exotic types of plastic like Nylon and Kevlar. Far better than aluminum in every single way.

PFFFFFT They need to make phones like these post-34036-0-17932600-1399910585.jpg

but I don't think clothing materials would be that great on phones and where would everything be 

post-34036-0-17932600-1399910585.jpg

$$金Trill金$$

Honestly I don't care if a smartphone is made of plastic or metal, if you drop it on a hard surface chances are it will suffer cosmetic damage at least. So when I purchase a phone I take no consideration on how it may fare in a drop, or what the materials its made of are. Of course I've also only ever "dropped" a phone once in the 10+ years that I've owned a cell phone.

I really don't understand the sudden hype around the ONE and the ONE M8. It's not as if those phones were the first Android phones that had a metal body. Why does everyone seem to ignore the Desire HD / Inspire 4G, which fit in the hand much better than the M8 and were way less slippery?

The only things I really don't like about the Galaxy phones are the chromed plastic bits and TouchWiz. Neither of those things have anything to do with the build quality of those phones.

htc-inspire-4g-1335212785-824.jpg

BOOM! A phone that was released in late 2010 and still is supported by quite a few devs over at XDA. I've had my Desire HD for more than 3 years now and won't upgrade anytime soon. There's no reason. I swapped out the aging battery and installed 4.4.2.

Funny thing is that you DID NOT get it. He was talking about build quality and not about materials. The HTC ONE X was a phone with a plastic body and yet it was well built.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

@captainlolz7 THANK YOU for this thread and thank you @LAwLz for pointing out that the "premium feel" of phones does not mean it is well built and that aluminum is a terrible choice of material for phones (because it is).

I have been so annoyed over the past few months with all the metal phone fanboys saying that certain phones are better than other phones because it has dat "premium feel."  Pretty soon these people are going to be buying aluminum controllers for their Xbox (gotta have dat premium feel for CoD).

IMO the textured soft touch plastic of newer phones and devices is much more superior in terms of durability and comfort in the hand. With self-healing materials on the horizon, I can't why anyone would want an aluminum device... oh wait I forgot: dat "premium feel."

Your welcome good sir! I had just to stress this because its been here for too long.

I think aluminum is an awful material to make phones out of. What we should push for are the more exotic types of plastic like Zylon and Kevlar. Far better than aluminum in every single way.

I totally agree, that could make more Premium feeling phones using something else besides the easily dented Aluminium.

I just laugh when i see someone who buys an M8 for the build quality and metal back and all...

And then puts a plastic case to not ruin the finish

This is true, I mean they stress oh build quality is so awesome, why not throw in a freaking cover to mask it.

Honestly I don't care if a smartphone is made of plastic or metal, if you drop it on a hard surface chances are it will suffer cosmetic damage at least. So when I purchase a phone I take no consideration on how it may fare in a drop, or what the materials its made of are. Of course I've also only ever "dropped" a phone once in the 10+ years that I've owned a cell phone.

This statement made my day, thanks for understanding friend.

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses: