I Water Cooled My Bed - Genius or Insanity?

mynameGeoff

If it includes free shipping and installation I would not mind getting it,. if no-one else is interested.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I bought one of these from a competitor that has no connected features and just uses a remote. I got it because I sweat an insane amount no matter how low the ac is. The topper works shockingly well. If Eight Sleep offered a way to run the advanced features locally without a subscription I'd definitely get one.

28 minutes ago, ShanyeB said:

I bought one of these from a competitor that has no connected features and just uses a remote. I got it because I sweat an insane amount no matter how low the ac is. The topper works shockingly well. If Eight Sleep offered a way to run the advanced features locally without a subscription I'd definitely get one.

What is the name? I also find the 20 dollar subscription to be a big turn off

Hmm the major Problem is the foundation must support the Additional weight.

From AT. :x

I am really surprised by this video. I know that the forced subscription is newer, but there were complaints of this on the sponsorship part of the forum. After seeing people posting there I had hoped that was enough, but clearly not. I have no idea who at lmg this needs to go to, but promoting a product that forces a subscription seems against everything you’ve all done. It really seems like the right people haven’t been notified. 

Whenever I see them f###ing around with that 2x120V stuff I'm reminded how nice it is that pretty much everyone around here has 3x400V in his home 😛

Had to join in on the eight sleep flame because Jesus Christ. 288$ subscription anually. WTF are their profit margins?! Like what's the server cost to save a few temperature indicators and maybe a weight sensor. It's highly doubtful that "the cloud" is making the calculations of what temperature is optimal for the user and EVEN if it is it's still insane. People pay less for subscription services that have PETABYTES of movies and TV shows. These people are insane.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

Like what's the server cost to save a few temperature indicators and maybe a weight sensor.

Doesn't matter.

Wait till someone hacks them and start grilling and freezing random user just for the lols...

-> nothing in there need a server, should be trivial to do locally

Just now, Kronoton said:

Doesn't matter.

Wait till someone hacks them and start grilling and freezing random user just for the lols...

-> nothing in there need a server, should be trivial to do locally

Yep. You're legit paying to get datamined and for YET another point of vulnirability in your house. Worst deal in deal history maybe ever.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

The fact they try to justify a mattress topper needing a subscription... No, no it doesn't.

Spoiler

image.png.bebaf77bcf5769341e1aa8df687864de.png

It doesn't need "intelligence" or analytics. It's a $3000 mattress topper. It should have built in controls where you can manually set things up without the need for their stupid app or care for any other buzz word. If they were that desperate to take an extra $240 from their customers, they should've just priced their damn product $240 more and done away with this BS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This has to be Alex's theme song:

What happens with the expensive mattress topper without a subscription? Does it stop "learning", or stop working entirely? It's just a swamp cooler.

4 hours ago, emosun said:

this is a really good solution for places where air conditioning is outlawed

Where is that? (Not that I don't believe you, but if you throw "AC outlawed" into Google all you'll get back is myths about California, pearl-clutching about appliance efficiency targets, and mourning the loss of R22 and R12...)

Not sure how much it will help in a humid environment, either. It's just a fancy swamp cooler, not a chiller, so if the air is too humid it won't work very effectively.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Literally made an account on the forum here just to mention how I disliked this sponsor... The video itself was great. I thought the product itself seemed a bit silly in the real world but thought I'd check out the seller and wanted to see what it'd cost to get one of these on my bed. $2K, yeah that's pretty wild but it's an extremely niche product which would cater to someone already buying an expensive bed arrangement.

THEN I saw the Pro/Plus membership and was trying to see how to remove it since I don't need another subscription. I get taking their money, but man... a freakin' subscription to use a bed?? This is pretty anti-consumer forcing someone into a subscription just to buy a bed. Just increase the price an additional 7-10% and forget it, though then they won't be cashing in on those sweet, sweet dollars from buyers who forget to cancel the subscriptions.

21 minutes ago, SynthX said:

$2K, yeah that's pretty wild but it's an extremely niche product which would cater to someone already buying an expensive bed arrangement.

For that price and the cost of one year's subscription to their cloud service, you could buy over a dozen of these bad boys!

https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Cooler-Classic-Chilled-Cooling/dp/B07KPMPVLM

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

For that price and the cost of one year's subscription to their cloud service, you could buy over a dozen of these bad boys!

https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Cooler-Classic-Chilled-Cooling/dp/B07KPMPVLM

If you want it to be "smart" you can just get sleepme system for the same price but 0 subscription attached.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

so I see, this is how they killed the ex-boss by watercooled mattress. but thank god they didn't actually replaced the bed with an heavy and "quick" prototype.

just dont do like water blocks for CPUs, a water layer in the top layer, no tubes, only flow that can be adjusted route through flexable paths and fin like structures to distrubute the heat. but would that also mean some metal strands inside the bedding to like a "coil" to transfer the heat to the water structure? also it being 2 cold areas and 2 small heat channels that can do heat or small amounts of hot steam if top layer got some small holes it can use. steam would use a lot of energy and be wet, or just have a electronic heating blanket that is not at risk of elecrocuting you.
+ added rgb + fans on either side or top/bottom going into the sheets or head area with custom adjustments.

I guess like the thumbnail, one could use 2 channels of heat/cold to that of an radiator with RGB fans, heat from the fridge and other areas, into an built in full water cooled house project, PCs, servers etc. All to cool or heat you (but 100 leaks later)

nvm dont water the bed, it will smell of moldy socks.

9 hours ago, Thooury said:

What is the name? I also find the 20 dollar subscription to be a big turn off

https://sleep.me/product/cube-sleep-system

They do have a "higher end" version with a subscription, but the model I linked is what I got. They do have a referral discount program, not sure if that's a better deal or not but you can dm me if you want a referral.

I have been looking at this company since I live in AZ. I would love to have a mattress that really cools my body. The problem being is I wish there were a way to fake or enable offline operations. Run it via a home assistant or a controller like a Rpi. 

It's cool to know that ideas posted on here do get read and picked up for future testing/videos 🙂

----------------------------
        Weem

9 hours ago, poochyena said:

a subscription service for a mattress? lmao

What's funnier is LMG taking money from them given how much they seem to hate this business model.  Apparently they don't hate the money.

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Where is that? (Not that I don't believe you, but if you throw "AC outlawed" into Google all you'll get back is myths about California, pearl-clutching about appliance efficiency targets, and mourning the loss of R22 and R12...)

it was sarcasm

I never post on this forum, but here I am.
Been watching LMG videos since the garage days, but never felt a need to use this forum.. until now.
I was excited about the Eight Sleep product, so I clicked the link to find out more about it.
The price seems reasonable for a product of this niche/luxury, Especially when you compare it to a full 'smart bed' costing 20k or 30k or more, but then I found out about the subscription plan.
It says you can 'cancel any time'... but it doesn't say which features then get locked out. And from their explanations it seems like EVERYTHING is dependent on that 'AI powered subscription'. They don't even list features that work without a plan, they only list a feature comparison for their 2 plan options.
This is exactly the type of business model that LMG should NOT endorse, and I am a bit salty.