WD MyCloud Web Services offline causing customers to lose access to their Local NAS Drive Data

On 4/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, 19_blackie_73 said:

How the frick did anyone think this is a good idea to link a cloud service with the access to the locally stored data?

How stupid is that?

Isn't that the whole point of having a NAS - not relying on an external factor such as google drive or other similar services?

This implementation is obviously shit, I would assume many other companies too, however having cloud integration itself isn't a bad idea as it allows consumers to be able to access their home stored data from anywhere on the web without having to setup VPN's, servers, adjust router/modem settings requiring a dynamic IP service or getting static IP etc.

Also I am sure there are also other benefits, I just couldn't be arsed looking them up. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

This implementation is obviously shit, I would assume many other companies too, however having cloud integration itself isn't a bad idea as it allows consumers to be able to access their home stored data from anywhere on the web without having to setup VPN's, servers, adjust router/modem settings requiring a dynamic IP service or getting static IP etc.

Also I am sure there are also other benefits, I just couldn't be arsed looking them up. 

I don't question that you can have your "own" cloud with your nas; the thing that boggles my mind is that you can't even access it locally when WD decides not to work.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

It may actually be a lot worse...

WD took their services offline after being hacked earlier in the week.

Yea, this is pretty bad if the actors got access to these servers.

It makes me wonder what WD's implementation is for the NAS is; here is hoping that the NAS has access controls built into the NAS itself and doesn't rely on the webserver for verifying the credential (or this could become a lot bigger of an issue)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I really dislike this type of mentality.

What happened was that you assumed poor design from WD, laughed at it and felt validated in your decision to dislike them, and when someone pointed out that it was wrong you went "okay, but they still suck".

Suck it up buttercup. You'll get over it.

I've been dealing with WD since the early 90s. I've used their MyBook series throughout the mid 2000's. Their Cloud based drive products have always been half-baked. So yeah, they suck, I said it, get over it.

Consumer NAS cloud or remote integration from an industry history is *SO BAD* it has its own meme. ChatGPT should tell you a knock knock joke if asked about it.  Server 2000 IIS sent WD a bouquet of flowers. 

I trust mine to sync with Backblaze. Thats it. Inbound anything will never allowed on my firewall. 

7 hours ago, StDragon said:

I've been dealing with WD since the early 90s. I've used their MyBook series throughout the mid 2000's. Their Cloud based drive products have always been half-baked. So yeah, they suck, I said it, get over it.

You missed my point but okay...

It's technically more stable and secure to get/setup a NAS that can host locally, and then you connect to that NAS over a VPN

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

A week or two ago I actually set up VPN access to my local network so I could access the NAS in the actual filesystem remotely, and I guess that was pretty good timing because I didn't even realize there was an outage.

I'd honestly recommend it. Tailscale's free and really straightforward to set up for this (though dog slow if you use Windows for the server end), and using a VPN like that is way more flexible and convenient than the MyCloud portal stuff. And if you wanna avoid external VPN services too a dynamic IP service is like $2 a month. Been pretty happy with it.

As for the SMB stuff, you can configure it to use any combination of 1, 2, and 3, but it's configured to only use 2 and 3 by default. And I don't remember ever having to go through a cloud portal to enable LAN access --maybe that's only a MyCloud Home thing? I still have access to all the configuration stuff and the filesystem and whatnot, never would've noticed the outage if I hadn't checked the forum.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Strange, I can access my WD My Cloud home device locally using its local IP Address and I never enabled local access.

Give it a try..

So, what I can't get over, is that our internet connections are so stable and ubiquitous, they've become our new *pots" lines and nobody, ever (according to the complaints, there's even one on reddit, probably more) just decided to unplug their internet cable or disconnect their wifi (that would just be lunacy!) and also, at that time, attempt to also browse their storage?

So nobody, ever, had their internet go down, anywhere, ever, for any of these storage device owners, at the time they wanted to view the contents of their disk.

And none of those people, until the cloud service went offline, realized this was an issue, until now.

Hmm.  I just find that odd for some reason.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

The bit that I find concerning at this point is that despite there being reports of the hack they have pretty much been radio silent in regards to what has happened.  Even the hacked statements didn't really contain too much information.

13 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The bit that I find concerning at this point is that despite there being reports of the hack they have pretty much been radio silent in regards to what has happened.  Even the hacked statements didn't really contain too much information.

The sandbagging was inevitable at this point.

Who knows, maybe they had their servers backed up to these NAS units, and lost access to restore MyCloud web services.

Spoiler

When you twist the knife, do it with grace.

On 4/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, StDragon said:

We get it you hate WD, but Lawlz is right though.  Literally you were talking about SMBv1 when the literal post that talked about it specifically says SMB2; and you stated it as a fact not even a conditional that it might be a fight.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, Dash Lambda said:

slow if you use Windows for the server end

Have you tried running a 256mb memory VM?  Linux doesn't boot with much less, in virtualbox in my limited experience, but it doesn't use that much memory once booted.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

11 hours ago, E-waste said:

Have you tried running a 256mb memory VM?  Linux doesn't boot with much less, in virtualbox in my limited experience, but it doesn't use that much memory once booted.

I've heard of people using VMs, but I ended up just breaking out my old laptop that dual-boots with Mint. It's got ethernet, its own battery in case power goes out, seemed like a good idea. Been working really well.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Maybe Mine is too old and outdated to have this issue... but it runs the latest version of their NAS OS 😕 .  I wonder if it is because of how these customers are accessing the device.  Using NFS on Linux and I have no issue accessing it.   The web management interface are also available. 

image.png.040382dae17b5ebc9e267f4581d14b84.png

Ah I see their service that allows access to your own files via the cloud is broken... and some home users it seems don't know they can just get to the files without needing any cloud service. 

As for why buy a NAS instead of build my own... this service. I am seriously thinking of building a NAS based on old parts.  Maybe in 2024. 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:28 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

I see you and others are catching on to a point I've made several times.  Corporations do not exist to service us but to act in their own interest.  Taking any statement by them as definitive facts on something like this is not wise.  

31 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I am seriously thinking of building a NAS based on old parts.  Maybe in 2024.

This is the way.

I recommend TrueNAS (Core) with a platform running ECC memory.

Alternatively, Synology has a nice platform. My only gripe is they're really pushing their own branded (rebadged) upgrades that's marked up; basically an "Apple" move. But again, price aside, it will deliver on many needs. You can preview the DSM (their NAS OS) platform here.

I would avoid QNAP given the historical record for the multitude of serious exploits unless you're willing to patch it ASAP. Otherwise, it's not something you want to "set and forget" lest it get hacked in a hurry.

We had one of these come into our store the other day.  We just stripped the drive out of the enclosure and accessed it directly.  We were then able to copy all the files to another drive and built him a basic USB enclosure, instead (his choice).

Side effect of this outage at WD is I haven't been able to process an RMA of some hard drives that went bad. I tried to start an RMA on 4/8 and the site said it was undergoing maintenance. Been checking every day and there is absolutely no change. Even their online store is down. Now I see that this has been going on for over 2 weeks.

I own a QNAP NAS and its got to be one of the best purchases i've ever made, worth every penny. I wouldn't touch anything cloud like MyCloud, just don't trust it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15