Graphics card for 1440p gaming?

Sol_NB
6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

the Core itself will be the issue far before you need the extra 4 GB of vram.

The core? 

9 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

The core? 

Core of the GPU = the actual performance of the GPU cores and the architecture. Most times that becomes an issue well before the VRAM became one, but with how 3000 series went  with Ram allocation and this gen, that may not be so true anymore.

38 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Core of the GPU = the actual performance of the GPU cores and the architecture. Most times that becomes an issue well before the VRAM became one, but with how 3000 series went  with Ram allocation and this gen, that may not be so true anymore.

Well it’s why I’m wondering how overkill I should go because I know the 7900XT is gonna be a very nice upgrade over my 3070 already. But since the XTX is about 200 dollars more I’m wondering if I should just save a bit more and get that so it lasts longer. Or maybe I’m playing the losing future proof game 

44 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

both GPUs have had incredible price drops recently and if you do more than gaming the XTX is superior.

more memory more shaders etc.

https://tech4gamers.com/rx-7900-xtx-vs-rx-7900-xt/

I honestly just do gaming. I don’t do like blender or anything 

41 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I honestly just do gaming. I don’t do like blender or anything 

Honestly then it depends on you. As @Shimejii says, you dont need to be at the edge of VRAM capacity, the GPU architecture would be the performance limit at a point, its on you to decide on whether 200$ is justifiable for the slight gain on 4K.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Honestly then it depends on you. As @Shimejii says, you dont need to be at the edge of VRAM capacity, the GPU architecture would be the performance limit at a point, its on you to decide on whether 200$ is justifiable for the slight gain on 4K.

As mentioned.......if you only game the save money and go with the XT 780USD at micro center. Good chance their might be some price drops and special offers also if you look around.

I would assume that 20gb of VRAM in the 7900XT is gonna be good for atleast 4 years right? I don’t wanna get into a situation again where I bought this 3070 and already hit VRAM constraints not that long after getting it. It’s why I’m tempted to just way over correct and get the XTX with 24GB VRAM but I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth 200 dollars price difference 

-= Merged several topics =-

Please refrain from reposting topics of the same conversation, just continue your thread instead of starting a new one.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Maybe I’m falling into the trap of “oh well for this amount money more I can get this instead” and that adds up quick when trying to future proof stuff 

So is the consensus that I should go for the 7900XT or pay the extra to get the 7900XTX?