Graphics card for 1440p gaming?

Sol_NB

With newer games being more VRAM hungry I’m concerned the 3070 I have is gonna be struggling in the next year or so. Should it still be a good 1440p card going forward or should I be eyeing upgrading sooner rather then later (for context I bought this GPU in November) 

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

With newer games being more VRAM hungry I’m concerned the 3070 I have is gonna be struggling in the next year or so. Should it still be a good 1440p card going forward or should I be eyeing upgrading sooner rather then later (for context I bought this GPU in November) 

if your gaming in the last of us, unfortunately no not anymore but any other games (like apex, fortnite, forza, maybe even resident evil 4) and yes its still very respectable

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes it's good. There are 2 or 3 games that need more VRAM if you set textures to Ultra but nothing stops you to set them to High instead and have perfectly good experience.

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

to think just 8 months ago it was seen as a 4k card

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

dude.. you're talking about the second-to-top-tier card from *one* generation ago... it's fine...

i'm still rocking a GTX970 for 1440p.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm still rocking a GTX970 for 1440p.

I also did that (upgraded to an RX 6600XT a bit ago tho), how are you managing? I remember having to set everything to low and sometimes drop the resolution

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

10 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I also did that (upgraded to an RX 6600XT a bit ago tho), how are you managing? I remember having to set everything to low and sometimes drop the resolution

i think not playing AAA titles is a big help here..

as for how i am managing... just the same as the day i got it?

Damn, one game and the whole sky falls. 

Op do not worry about it until you have a suite of games you are unhappy with the performance of on your current GPU and upgrade then and only then. 
Even games like TLOU you can just change settings to... high, or medium, and play it just fine and enjoy it plenty with solid performance and framerates. You are not missing out on ANYTHING not being able to run ultra textures in two or three games.

It still IS a 4k capable card. 

58 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i think not playing AAA titles is a big help here.

That'll help heaps, yeah. I didn't play any of the newer ones (newest was Control, I think?) but I really noticed the card just struggling.

58 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as for how i am managing... just the same as the day i got it?

I was barely hanging on towards the end, playing at 30FPS and/or lowest settings.

57 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Op do not worry about it until you have a suite of games you are unhappy with the performance of on your current GPU and upgrade then and only then. 

Ditto, upgrading when you don't need to is just wasting money and performance

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

Damn, one game and the whole sky falls.

Its a couple of games and almost certainly going to be a trend going forwards as games finally start being fully designed around the current consoles.

If you plan to play AAA titles going forwards, getting a card with less than 12GB VRAM is a bad idea.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I don't take any of this tests as serious. They run Ultra settings that is stupid than you can run High and not even see big difference in visual but have way way better performance. Second they not use any DLSS or FSR that is very stupid again. All this test is pure synthetic 8 Gb VRAM is still enough if you play at High settings that not big lose in visual at all and with DLSS or FSR ON. For 1440p is still fine 8 Gb VRAM for 4K need at least 12 Gb VRAM and again don't use that stupid Ultra settings it worthless. For pure synthetic test Ultra settings is good for actual game play is worthless. Even texture quality High vs Ultra have almost no difference that in most case not even possible tell until you really know there look. Same with draw distance quality it worthless use high detail texture on very far away oject that anyway can't even see that small detail due they do far and that two settings can you save 4-6+ Gb VRAM and you won't even see big diference.

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a couple of games and almost certainly going to be a trend going forwards as games finally start being fully designed around the current consoles.

If you plan to play AAA titles going forwards, getting a card with less than 12GB VRAM is a bad idea.

I mean I just got this GPU in November. I’d hate for a lot of new AAA games to make me regret my decision. Like when I upgrade this again sure I’ll get something with more then 16gb VRAM 

I’m wondering if I would have been better off getting a 6800 because if the extra VRAM or a 6700 or some AMD equivalent 

17 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I’m wondering if I would have been better off getting a 6800 because if the extra VRAM

You definitely would have been better off with a 6800. Not just because of VRAM, though that's a big plus of the 6800. But it's just a faster gpu overall. 3070 is more on par with the 6750 XT at 1440p as long as it doesn't run out of VRAM. Tthough the 6750 XT will pull away in the next couple of years the same way the HD 7970 did over the GTX 680 thanks to it having 1.5x the VRAM also. It's the same story over and over from Nvidia and it has gotten old.

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean I just got this GPU in November. I’d hate for a lot of new AAA games to make me regret my decision. Like when I upgrade this again sure I’ll get something with more then 16gb VRAM 

I don't know what anyone saw in the 3070 at Black Friday last year. In 2020 when it came out yeah 8GB was okayish especially when AMD didn't really have any competition at $500. And if you bought used and got a good deal then can't really complain, it's still an awesome gpu just with that one Achilles heel of insufficient VRAM. But can't understand why I was seeing people post $500 and $550 RTX 3070 around Black Friday on r/buildapcdeals like they were deals when you could get RX 6750 XT with the same performance even when not VRAM limited for $360. The thing that really pissed me off about the 3070 was RT was the main reason I'd want an Nvidia gpu but VRAM usage goes up a lot with RT. Even almost two years ago you could already see the 3060 beating the 3070 by 33% at 1440p with Doom Eternal's RT update.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-eternal-test-rtx

I mean, I made the best decision I could at the time and the price. I used mostly Xmas bonus money to pay for it 

19 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You definitely would have been better off with a 6800. Not just because of VRAM, though that's a big plus of the 6800. But it's just a faster gpu overall. 3070 is more on par with the 6750 XT at 1440p as long as it doesn't run out of VRAM. Tthough the 6750 XT will pull away in the next couple of years the same way the HD 7970 did over the GTX 680 thanks to it having 1.5x the VRAM also. It's the same story over and over from Nvidia and it has gotten old.

Well 6800 is also more expensive no? 

I play at 3840x2160 60Hz on mine. It does ok..

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

9 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

Should it still be a good 1440p card going forward or should I be eyeing upgrading sooner rather then later (for context I bought this GPU in November) 

Don't worry about future problems. Nothing that can't be fixed by lowering settings if needed, then consider upgrading if it drops below your expectations.

9 hours ago, filpo said:

if your gaming in the last of us, unfortunately no not anymore but any other games (like apex, fortnite, forza, maybe even resident evil 4) and yes its still very respectable

It's good for TLOU too, as long as it isn't Ultra settings. 1440p High is fine. Some version of Forza might be one other case I'm aware of where it is reported to crash on 8GB cards if settings are too high.

12 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Big "depends on the game" here. I used to use my 3070 on a 4k 120 Hz TV too. Now I'm only using a 1440p monitor and at least the games I actually play haven't been limited by it. I'd rate VRR as essential regardless.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Well you have a TI. But maybe there isnt much performance difference between the two 

43 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Well 6800 is also more expensive no? 

Not in the US. The RX 6800 regularly goes on sale for $450 new and even the 6800 XT that outperforms the 3080 at 1440p and has 16GB can be found at $520 every so often. I know AMD cards can be a lot more expensive elsewhere though.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not in the US. The RX 6800 regularly goes on sale for $450 new and even the 6800 XT that outperforms the 3080 at 1440p and has 16GB can be found at $520 every so often. I know AMD cards can be a lot more expensive elsewhere though.

I mean, nothing much can do about it now. I thought I was gonna care about RT more than I was. I mean hopefully my 3070 will be ok for atleast a bit because I’m not gonna just up and get another card since I just got this few months ago 

So long as its higher than 2070 RTX super its gonna be fine. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

14 hours ago, Bismut said:

That'll help heaps, yeah. I didn't play any of the newer ones

AAA now days sucks.

Only very few AAA games picked my interest in the past 3 years,

And also due to me having more than 800 games in my library - I decided to not buy games until i finish what i have.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean, nothing much can do about it now. I thought I was gonna care about RT more than I was. I mean hopefully my 3070 will be ok for atleast a bit because I’m not gonna just up and get another card since I just got this few months ago 

RT can be really cool sometimes. It's great in the Spiderman games since you spend so much time on the sides of skyscrapers loaded with reflective windows. But I turn it off most of the time unless my hardware has a boatload of headroom like say in RE8.