Graphics card for 1440p gaming?

Sol_NB
25 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Sure. But even setting them to high we’re seeing these brand new games like hogwarts and Jedi and Dead Space and so on stutter and hit that 8gb don’t we? I think it’s because PC games are going off the consoles. I’m not sure 

If you're expecting to play every new release on high/ultra with a mid tier card in the age of ray tracing, then I'd either level your expectations or start dropping thousands on hardware. Practically the only card that can do that right now is the RTX 4090, everything else requires some sort of tuning. Maybe the RTX 4080 at 1080p/1440p as well.

Requiring upscaling is basically cheating in this metric as well, something I was glad to not need for The Last of Us full maxed out at 4K on my system and was getting a smooth 60-100 fps. DLSS* even in quality mode wasn't good enough since it was upscaling 1440p (very noticeable, something abnormal for upscaling at 4K). I usually custom upscale to 85-90%, which that game didn't let me do. 85-90% DLSS at 4K is literally free performance, something that probably every resolution experiences, but mathematically is more impactful at 4K due to the higher pixel count. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

35 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Sure. But even setting them to high we’re seeing these brand new games like hogwarts and Jedi and Dead Space and so on stutter and hit that 8gb don’t we? I think it’s because PC games are going off the consoles. I’m not sure 

This seems like a non-issue that’s entirely dependent on you.

Are you willing to play at lower settings?

Yes: Don’t upgrade

No: Upgrade

It sounds like you like High/Ultra.

You should upgrade.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Just now, saint_louis_bagels said:

This seems like a non-issue that’s entirely dependent on you.

Are you willing to play at lower settings?

Yes: Don’t upgrade

No: Upgrade

It sounds like you like High/Ultra.

You should upgrade.

Well I mean would medium even still look good? 

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Well I mean would medium even still look good? 

You should boot up some games determine the settings that you actually care about.

I personally love High/Ultra textures and models. I do not give a f*** about realistic lighting, shadows, etc so I always set them to Low or Off.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

11 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

You should boot up some games determine the settings that you actually care about.

I personally love High/Ultra textures and models. I do not give a f*** about realistic lighting, shadows, etc so I always set them to Low or Off.

Yeah. I mean I like high res textures too. Don’t really care about ray tracing too much

i should mention I play at 1440p

1. Just lower the texture settings a little (or whatever other settings that disproportionately eat vram). 
2. If you do want to sell it, feel free to PM me (potentially with a link to a marketplace post), I'm probably overdue to upgrade my 2080 (mostly for faster HDMI). 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

51 minutes ago, cmndr said:

1. Just lower the texture settings a little (or whatever other settings that disproportionately eat vram). 
2. If you do want to sell it, feel free to PM me (potentially with a link to a marketplace post), I'm probably overdue to upgrade my 2080 (mostly for faster HDMI). 

I would honestly get a GPU with more VRAM if I were you

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I would honestly get a GPU with more VRAM if I were you

Doesn't matter, more VRAM won't make my 20 year old jRPGs run better. None of the tittles that are pulling in more amounts of RAM matter to me and when something comes out that needs it... I'll turn the slider down a bit. I don't stare at frame rate counters or zoomed in screenshots. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Yeah maybe I just need to lower some settings 

6 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

So I’ve been debating lately due to these recent VRAM stories and how it’s gonna be a potential issue if I should sell my 3070 and get another GPU. I was thinking maybe the 6800xt or 6950XT. I could also do a 4070TI or 4070, but even the 12gb VRAM on those I’m not too sure about. Like right now I’m not having ton of issues with the 8gb of the VRAM on the 3070, but it seems like it’s just gonna be a issue going forward and I’m kinda not sure what to do.  

What you're feeling is called fear mongering.

Don't upgrade unless you need or want to.  Not because some article or tests are trying to scare you.

Sure, you need more vram for Hogwarts.  This is due to it being a shit optimized game.  Not because your card is lacking.

When performance really starts being limited you'll know.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 4/23/2023 at 12:14 PM, Sol_NB said:

I’m sorry if this is maybe wrong place to ask this but I’m worried maybe my current PC build isn’t going to be able to handle modern games the next few years at 1440p at high to max settings. My current build is: 

CPU: Intel i7-10700f

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz cl 18

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 3070 8GB OC 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s ATX 

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 GT 850W 80 plus Gold 

I would appreciate any insight. Does it seem like it maybe ok for the next few years or should I be worrying about upgrading very soon? 

Don't sweat it if you post in the wrong areas the mods got the tools to move posts ultimately. 

As to the topic yeah 1440P will work but its not longer future proof. Think more like camero  with low 40 and 30 series cards. Its just an ugly reality of the Vram limits. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

10 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

I just am very paranoid about the 8gb VRAM thing. Like most stuff is fine right now. But games like RDR2 it just crashes when I put textures to ultra 

I had similar concerns with my 970 when it became apparent that it "only had 3.5GB VRAM" and the other half GB was "slow"... yet it made zero difference to performance or benchmarks and it worked as good as I could have expected it to on GTA V, which was about as tough a game as that card had thrown at it (and GTA IV, which clearly struggled at 1920x1200 on the 660TI I had before the 970).

As for RDR2 I had a bug on Sunday evening that caused collectables to not spawn (especially those that requiring digging). The fix was to empty out the game user folder which also deleted all settings and I had a good few crashes (mainly total lockups but at least 2 memory virtual memory crashes... on a 12GB VRAM card). I therefore decided to drop from Ultra to High on my 3060. tbh I see no visual difference between Ultra and High textures... and yesterday evening I was in-game for 3 hours straight without issue. It might just be worth dialling down to High and see if you notice anything, but for me I saw no obvious differences... except for a stable game and what feels like a higher frame rate.

Back when HD TVs launched, I remember the argument of if a Blu-ray copy of a film would make the experience better, or the bowl of popcorn you can get with the leftover cash when you get the DVD version instead. IMO that argument still holds today.

It's something to keep an eye on but personally speaking I wouldn't bother for now and I'd wait until it actually becomes a problem with a game you buy before considering an upgrade. The only reason I'd consider a jump would be if you could sell your 3070 for close to what you paid for it, which is probably unlikely with the market as it has been for the last few months.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

1 hour ago, NekoBubbles said:

Don't sweat it if you post in the wrong areas the mods got the tools to move posts ultimately. 

As to the topic yeah 1440P will work but its not longer future proof. Think more like camero  with low 40 and 30 series cards. Its just an ugly reality of the Vram limits. 

Yeah. I know I’ll probably need to upgrade sooner then later. Just was worried maybe it wouldn’t last much longer at all 

13 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

I had similar concerns with my 970 when it became apparent that it "only had 3.5GB VRAM" and the other half GB was "slow"... yet it made zero difference to performance or benchmarks and it worked as good as I could have expected it to on GTA V, which was about as tough a game as that card had thrown at it (and GTA IV, which clearly struggled at 1920x1200 on the 660TI I had before the 970).

As for RDR2 I had a bug on Sunday evening that caused collectables to not spawn (especially those that requiring digging). The fix was to empty out the game user folder which also deleted all settings and I had a good few crashes (mainly total lockups but at least 2 memory virtual memory crashes... on a 12GB VRAM card). I therefore decided to drop from Ultra to High on my 3060. tbh I see no visual difference between Ultra and High textures... and yesterday evening I was in-game for 3 hours straight without issue. It might just be worth dialling down to High and see if you notice anything, but for me I saw no obvious differences... except for a stable game and what feels like a higher frame rate.

Back when HD TVs launched, I remember the argument of if a Blu-ray copy of a film would make the experience better, or the bowl of popcorn you can get with the leftover cash when you get the DVD version instead. IMO that argument still holds today.

It's something to keep an eye on but personally speaking I wouldn't bother for now and I'd wait until it actually becomes a problem with a game you buy before considering an upgrade. The only reason I'd consider a jump would be if you could sell your 3070 for close to what you paid for it, which is probably unlikely with the market as it has been for the last few months.

Well I paid little over 700 for the 3070 and would get back little under 400 if I sold it now on like eBay. So wouldn’t be getting full amount back. And I would still need to pay the difference of what the new card would cost. Which could be 300-even more doenedinf what I got 

I mean maybe the best option is just wait it out and see. Maybe tweak some settings if I need to and if I notice anything becoming an issue upgrade only then. I think I’m worrying about future stuff. Cause I’m not sure other then VRAM amount how much I’m going to even gain upgrading right now. And maybe if I wait a bit anyway prices for current stuff will go down a lot. I just hope for new games I’m not gonna be stuck with low muddy textures 

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean maybe the best option is just wait it out and see. Maybe tweak some settings if I need to and if I notice anything becoming an issue upgrade only then. I think I’m worrying about future stuff. Cause I’m not sure other then VRAM amount how much I’m going to even gain upgrading right now. And maybe if I wait a bit anyway prices for current stuff will go down a lot. I just hope for new games I’m not gonna be stuck with low muddy textures 

RTX 3070 is still a solid card for 99% of games on PC, the other 1% just being examples of a 'I told you so' mentality that a lot of us (including me) had when Nvidia specifically didn't double up the VRAM buffer on those cards (including the RTX 3080).

The only RTX 3000 series that got this were the RTX 3050, 3060 12GB and the RTX 3090/ti. Its almost as if they have planned obsolescence in mind when selling GPUs, since their current RTX 4000 series are just lower bins of GPUs with doubled up VRAM to gap their previous generation. RTX 4000 series isn't a 1:1 bin or even close to RTX 3000 series, instead of doing that they're just creating a 30-40% performance gap when it should really be closer to 70% (between any GA and AD GPU of about the same size and proportional shader count), with the difference between the RTX 3090 and 4090 being the only 1:1 comparison between generations.

18 hours ago, HomicidalPingu said:

Hogwarts is fine I was playing it the other day with RT off on a 3060Ti  and it was performing surprisingly well. 

The game performs well once it goes out of VRAM but you will have bad texture quality and overall visual degradation.

14 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

Yeah. I know I’ll probably need to upgrade sooner then later. Just was worried maybe it wouldn’t last much longer at all 

I'm in the same boat but ultimately we gotta remember that game devs are ultimately limited by what consumers can afford. Inflating Vram usage can only go as far as what consumers can get their hardware to be. There is almost no point in making a video games that take up more than the current median of 8GB's of Vram. There are what like an albino squirrels amount of over 8 GB VRAM GPU's so ethnically we have at least 5 years maybe 10 before any of us at 1440P apsolutely have to upgrade our GPU's. 

Until we have an ethical release of like 32 GB VRAM inexpensive GPU's A lot of the highest end visual game devs have a pretty long time to wait before they can force on the market super demanding titles. Cause its gonna be hard to sell a game that no one can ethically run. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

1 hour ago, Agall said:

RTX 3070 is still a solid card for 99% of games on PC, the other 1% just being examples of a 'I told you so' mentality that a lot of us (including me) had when Nvidia specifically didn't double up the VRAM buffer on those cards (including the RTX 3080).

The only RTX 3000 series that got this were the RTX 3050, 3060 12GB and the RTX 3090/ti. Its almost as if they have planned obsolescence in mind when selling GPUs, since their current RTX 4000 series are just lower bins of GPUs with doubled up VRAM to gap their previous generation. RTX 4000 series isn't a 1:1 bin or even close to RTX 3000 series, instead of doing that they're just creating a 30-40% performance gap when it should really be closer to 70% (between any GA and AD GPU of about the same size and proportional shader count), with the difference between the RTX 3090 and 4090 being the only 1:1 comparison between generations.

Well hopefully it’s not a lot of new games where the 8gbs is gonna be an issue 

17 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Well hopefully it’s not a lot of new games where the 8gbs is gonna be an issue 

Nvidia hopes so. 

33 minutes ago, HomicidalPingu said:

No it was fine and that’s not how VRAM works 

Bruh, the game literally works like that after the update that "fixes performance". So you get more FPS at the cost of visual quality as the assets need to constantly leave and be reloaded back into VRAM.

Just look at HUB analysis of the game you can see the comparisons when the game runs out of VRAM and when not, at the same settings the game visual quality changes drastically.

image.thumb.png.7308547dc8e928154204d50d4962599e.png

18 minutes ago, Agall said:

Nvidia hopes so. 

I can’t imagine devs are going to make games that 90 percent of people can’t run well because the majority of cards are 8gb or lower 

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Bruh, the game literally works like that after the update that "fixes performance". So you get more FPS at the cost of visual quality as the assets need to constantly leave and be reloaded back into VRAM.

Just look at HUB analysis of the game you can see the comparisons when the game runs out of VRAM and when not, at the same settings the game visual quality changes drastically.

image.thumb.png.7308547dc8e928154204d50d4962599e.png

So why is it hardware unboxed is the only channel noticing this stuff? Seems odd. Maybe they’re not the only ones but they seem to be the only channel people discussing this seems to post. If it really was a massive issue wouldn’t we have several videos talking about the textures dunking like this in games when VRAM is constrained? 

Just now, Sol_NB said:

So why is it hardware unboxed is the only channel noticing this stuff? Seems odd 

It's not. I've seen this happen in multiple videos of different channels where they test cards with lower amount of VRAM and the game falls apart and starts glitching like crazy. HUB is just one of the more popular channels that actually mentions it as an issue to look out for and consider when benching this game.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's not. I've seen this happen in multiple videos of different channels where they test cards with lower amount of VRAM and the game falls apart and starts glitching like crazy. HUB is just one of the more popular channels that actually mentions it as an issue to look out for and consider when benching this game.

So what’s the solution if you have a 8gb card? Get bent? Or just lower settings until the VRAM isn’t being overused?