Graphics card for 1440p gaming?

Sol_NB

I’m sorry if this is maybe wrong place to ask this but I’m worried maybe my current PC build isn’t going to be able to handle modern games the next few years at 1440p at high to max settings. My current build is: 

CPU: Intel i7-10700f

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz cl 18

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 3070 8GB OC 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s ATX 

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 GT 850W 80 plus Gold 

I would appreciate any insight. Does it seem like it maybe ok for the next few years or should I be worrying about upgrading very soon? 

Just now, Sol_NB said:

I’m sorry if this is maybe wrong place to ask this but I’m worried maybe my current PC build isn’t going to be able to handle modern games the next few years at 1440p at high to max settings. My current build is: 

CPU: Intel i7-10700f

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz cl 18

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 3070 8GB OC 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s ATX 

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 GT 850W 80 plus Gold 

I would appreciate any insight. Does it seem like it maybe ok for the next few years or should I be worrying about upgrading very soon? 

The Last Of Us is typing...

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

None of us can predict the future with any accuracy. Given current trends, 8GB of VRAM on that 3070 might struggle with higher textures so you'll probably have to run at medium for those games, and 16GB RAM is starting to hit it's limits, but we really don't know if those will truly be issues in 3 years or not. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

None of us can predict the future with any accuracy. Given current trends, 8GB of VRAM on that 3070 might struggle with higher textures so you'll probably have to run at medium for those games, and 16GB RAM is starting to hit it's limits, but we really don't know if those will truly be issues in 3 years or not. 

We’ll thats the thing. The more RAM sure I am cool with that because DDR4 RAM is cheap. The GPU though I just got this in November and I would really wish to not have to upgrade in less than a years time. I think maybe I was wondering in the whole if this rig seemed like it would be ok in most cases. I know there maybe badly optimized games that come out I’ll need to lower settings though 

41 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Like I’d hate to have to feel like I have to go back to console gaming because I have to keep dumping money every year into my PC to keep up 

Having played Hogwarts, The Last of Us and most recently Dead Island 2, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 16GB of RAM and less than 12GB of VRAM for 1440p resolution and above will last the year, but no longer than that for games at this level. If you're willing to lower the graphics settings, lower specs will last longer, absolutely. To expect anything other than that games will require more powerful hardware 1-3 years from now is just naive.

That said, we're only 4 months into the year and it's hard to predict what future game releases will look like.

1 hour ago, Mr.Zixxel said:

Having played Hogwarts, The Last of Us and most recently Dead Island 2, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 16GB of RAM and less than 12GB of VRAM for 1440p resolution and above will last the year, but no longer than that for games at this level. If you're willing to lower the graphics settings, lower specs will last longer, absolutely. To expect anything other than that games will require more powerful hardware 1-3 years from now is just naive.

That said, we're only 4 months into the year and it's hard to predict what future game releases will look like.

Like I don’t mind getting more RAM cause it’s fairly cheap for DDR4. However I really don’t want to get a whole new GPU after only having this 3070 for 5 months so far 

6 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Like I don’t mind getting more RAM cause it’s fairly cheap for DDR4. However I really don’t want to get a whole new GPU after only having this 3070 for 5 months so far 

I understand how you feel but it's also not something we can change, if we look at the current and historical trend when it comes to games and what hardware is required, it is a constant uphill battle. The alternative is that you lower the graphics settings when your graphics card starts to slow down.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Zixxel said:

I understand how you feel but it's also not something we can change, if we look at the current and historical trend when it comes to games and what hardware is required, it is a constant uphill battle. The alternative is that you lower the graphics settings when your graphics card starts to slow down.

Right and I get that. I don’t like, fully expect to run things at max forever without upgrading every year. But I still would like to have a good looking solid experience even if requires to lower settings. And I don’t have to lower them too much within like, less then 2 years time 

2 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Right and I get that. I don’t like, fully expect to run things at max forever without upgrading every year. But I still would like to have a good looking solid experience even if requires to lower settings. And I don’t have to lower them too much within like, less then 2 years time 

Something "positive" is the development of DLSS and AMD's equivalent that is coming in more and more games, these if anything will make it easier for aging hardware with newer game titles, 🍻

Just now, Mr.Zixxel said:

Something "positive" is the development of DLSS and AMD's equivalent that is coming in more and more games, these if anything will make it easier for aging hardware with newer game titles, 🍻

Sure. But if VRAM usage is becoming a higher requirement I don’t think DLSS or FSR can fix that 

VRAM is my main concern going forward

Also maybe I should worry about this when I start actualy having issues 

2 hours ago, Mr.Zixxel said:

Thought Hogwarts already sucks on 8GB. I know the 6700 XT massacres the 3060 Ti in it.

Probably not with high textures turned on. Nvidia really shit on gamers with the 8GB on the 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti / 3060 scrub version.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Thought Hogwarts already sucks on 8GB. I know the 6700 XT massacres the 3060 Ti in it.

It does too, I've managed well thanks to my 3090 but I have several friends who have run with graphics cards that have 8GB, and after some patching, it has worked well.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Probably not with high textures turned on. Nvidia really shit on gamers with the 8GB on the 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti / 3060 scrub version.

Like I don’t expect to play in max settings. But would like to think the 3070 would still be able to handle atleast High 

Like I’m willing to make peace with play in high settings. But hoping that will atleast be possible in the next year or so 

3 hours ago, Mr.Zixxel said:

It does too, I've managed well thanks to my 3090 but I have several friends who have run with graphics cards that have 8GB, and after some patching, it has worked well.

Yeah that’s what I’m wondering too: how much if this is fixed with patches. And if we should rely on that or just assume it won’t be fixed 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:20 PM, Tan3l6 said:

Nah, 1080p looks pretty bad after scaling to 1440p.

But you could test it yourself perhaps?

But if you use no scaling in videocard software and play at 1080p then it just centers the video, does not scale and instead there's black area around the 1080p.

I was gona say the same 

I play shooters at 1080 cause my 32 inch is to big 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 4/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, Inception9269 said:

You'd keep your resolution to 1440, with you enabling FSR or DLSS in games.

If I remember right, I think the Radeon drivers do have the option to enable FSR across the board. Also I believe Linus did a video about Nvidia having it where in the control panel you can enable AI upscaling across the board as well.

It's called Radeon Super Resolution. I use it on every game that doesn't support FSR natively since I run a 4k monitor with an RX 6700 XT, so I'm usually rendering either 1440p or 1800p and letting RSR do the upscale to 4k. For instance, right now I'm playing Yakuza Like a Dragon using RSR upscaling from 1800p to 4k, and before that it was Control using upscaling from 1080p to 4k (looked like 1080p but I wanted to turn on RT), and before that Elden Ring using RSR from 1800p to 4k.

I think RSR looks quite a bit better than if I was just running the game at 1440p or 1800p and letting the monitor do the upscale, though my budget 4k panel (ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q1A) still does a pretty competent upscale from 1440p to 4k on its own. Which is how I play The Last of Us Part 1 since the game's implementation of FSR is truly awful. That's on Naughty Dog and Iron Galaxy though, usually FSR is awesome.

6 hours ago, Mr.Zixxel said:

DLSS/FSR may help, but there's only so much that these upscaling techs can do. IIRC, certain new titles chew up more than 8GB even with DLSS enable, resulting in stuttering gameplay. Having 8GB VRAM now, for modern games, means having to reduce ingame graphics settings and/or having RT disabled.

Edit: Despite what some nVidia defenders/fanboys might say, nVidia deliberately gimped the RTX 3070 cards, and to some degree the RTX 3080 10GB, by fitting them with less VRAM. They deserve more, as shown my the performance of the modded RTX 3070 16GB, and this is being repeated with the RTX 4070 series 12GB as well. With newer games chewing up VRAM, more is obviously better. 

As I'd said before, DSR isn't particularly known to be a VRAM hog, yet at 3840x1080 (exactly half 4K), max setting + RTAO eats up ~10GB. Pretty sure TLOU, RE4R and Hogwarts eat up more VRAM at similar res and ingame setting.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

DLSS/FSR may help, but there's only so much that these upscaling techs can do. IIRC, certain new titles chew up more than 8GB even with DLSS enable, resulting in stuttering gameplay. Having 8GB VRAM now, for modern games, means having to reduce ingame graphics settings and/or having RT disabled.

Edit: Despite what some nVidia defenders/fanboys might say, nVidia deliberately gimped the RTX 3070 cards, and to some degree the RTX 3080 10GB, by fitting them with less VRAM. They deserve more, as shown my the performance of the modded RTX 3070 16GB, and this is being repeated with the RTX 4070 series 12GB as well. With newer games chewing up VRAM, more is obviously better. 

As I'd said before, DSR isn't particularly known to be a VRAM hog, yet at 3840x1080 (exactly half 4K), max setting + RTAO eats up ~10GB. Pretty sure TLOU, RE4R and Hogwarts eat up more VRAM at similar res and ingame setting.

The thing with RE 4 Remake though is that if you turn off Ray Tracing you can actualy go BEYOND your VRAM limit and the game still runs great. I am playing it on my 3070 and the Vram is in the red at 11gb used out of the allotment of the 8gb and no crashes and no FPS drops. It’s very strange but even Digital Foundry shows this and I’m using the optimized settings they showed 

I mean sure, next GPU I’ll go for like 16gb of VRAM atleast. But I would really hate to feel like I made a bad purchase of my 3070 and need to upgrade again right away 

34 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

The thing with RE 4 Remake though is that if you turn off Ray Tracing you can actualy go BEYOND your VRAM limit and the game still runs great. I am playing it on my 3070 and the Vram is in the red at 11gb used out of the allotment of the 8gb and no crashes and no FPS drops. It’s very strange but even Digital Foundry shows this and I’m using the optimized settings they showed 

Yes, aware of that, I think either Daniel Cowen or HUB had talked about it....but, isn't one of the selling points of the RTX cards the ability to have great graphics (High Texture) AND RT? Don't you think having to sacrifice one or the other kinda defeats the purpose of 'RTX' branding? Sure, for lower end cards like the RTX 3050 and RTX 3060 8GB, the RTX branding is more or less for show only, but certainly NOT the case for the RTX 3070 series.

IF I were an owner of the RTX 3070, or worse yet, the RTX 3070 Ti, I'd feel really pissed off that nVidia had done this. That modded 16GB RTX 3070 shows (let alone the RTX 3070 Ti), very clearly I might add, that the RTX 3070 can and does benefit with the extra VRAM. With 16GB, you don't have to turn off texture for RT, or disabling RT in favor of more texture....the RTX 3070 16GB (with proper driver) would allow you to use both RT and high texture setting.

I don't get it, I don't own the RTX 3070 series cards, and yet I feel nVidia had stuck it to owners of such cards, yet owners feel obliged to defend nVidia (or are willing to sacrifice graphics settings to net playable framerate). I'd thought the selling points of the RTX cards are access to DLSS and RT at very high graphics setting.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2