Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

It appears that there is a whack-a-mole going on with LTT channels, the channel being delisted, then it's back but no old videos, then the videos are back...

Just getting the password to LTT channels is unlikely to result to this. I kind of wonder if the point of failure might be on the YouTube's side.

2 minutes ago, Mikezz said:

The thing is that once the attacker acquire the cookie (there is a "fake sponsorship" hack going on), they don't have to know the password to change it. Same with 2FA, they can just change it to their own.

That's informative.   I have been told in other threads that worrying about security was "fear mongering" etc etc.   I myself had placed a lot of faith in 2FA.  I'd just imagine that LTT would have a LOT of security.  Like it's not just Linus's phone that has to do the 2FA every time they upload.  Like they are using a security key (hopefully not just always plugged in) or similar. 

2 minutes ago, Prariedog13 said:

No just because the ltt channel is currently not on youtube that link won't work, and youtube will just redirect you to the home page.

ok thank you 🙂

Just now, CoolJosh3k said:

Good video about how this isn’t run by hackers or particularly intelligent people: 

Basically these people only care about a quick and dirty job. They want as little effort as possible and are never going to care about minor details that real victims wouldn’t notice anyway.

I very highly doubt there was any actual hacking involved at all.

yeah, watched this video this morning, love his work

Well. I guess the next several videos will be about addressing this & ramping up LTT's server & account security ?

I was like : "Whut?" when suddenly a video with linus' face as thumbnail with channel name : "LinusTechTipsTemp" shows up on my notification.

Guess after quite awhile it was changed to Tesla.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, dragonhart6505 said:

That YouTube STILL hasn’t shut down the stream is freaking mind boggling. Who is the REAL problem here?

The lack of anti key phising tech

3 minutes ago, Sikorsky64 said:

This is bad, really bad, I was searching to see the latest stream and couldn't find the video.

Tried searching LTT and Linus Tech Tips and the only thing popping out was livestream about Tesla and Elon musk.

Hope someone from the team sees it and at least notifies it via Instagram/Twitter or other platforms and or channels.

Just made and account in the forum to report it.

It's all good. YouTube has really good procedures for reversing this type of thing and Linus is aware.

Well we know Linus is awake, see Floatplane: (maybe this should be pinned on the forum as well)

Regarding the YouTube channel hack, we are on top of it with Google's team now. Everything should be locked down and we are getting to the bottom of the attack vector with the (hopeful) goal of hardening their security around YouTube accounts and preventing this sort of thing from happening to anyone in the future.

You can expect a more detailed update on WAN Show at some point in the future. Not sure if it'll happen this week since this is still a developing situation.

The good news is that you can expect to get your LTT fix on Floatplane as usual 😛

Linus

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

😭😭😭 WHY 😭😭😭

Can someone cheer me up? Pls cuz i'm really sad.

I expect this to be in a LOT of news articles/videos.

I do hope they don’t use the term “hacked” and instead call it cybercrime or something that it actually is.

Just now, CoolJosh3k said:

I expect this to be in a LOT of news articles/videos.

I do hope they don’t use the term “hacked” and instead call it cybercrime or something that it actually is.

Well Linus just used the term hacked (check FP)

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

7 minutes ago, Anzuni said:

ok, maybe im being way to paranoid but is that link legit? i clicked it and all it did was go to youtube.com and now im kinda low key worried (im not trying to call you a hacker just worried alittle)

Yes, that's the actual link to the video where Linus addressed a previous attempt to take the channel. The video was uploaded July 12, 2016. Once the LTT channel is back you'll see the video on YouTube. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

At least google are kinda fast

image.png.77959beca2fed2720c62ea7a884412f5.png

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Just now, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

At least google are kinda fast

image.png.77959beca2fed2720c62ea7a884412f5.png

it took them 2 hours lol

4 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

It's all good. YouTube has really good procedures for reversing this type of thing and Linus is aware.

Apparently their procedure is to ban the channel lmao

image.png.e295e28831ecf660265ab576bdf95232.png

I dare Tesla to sponsor LTT after this.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Connorocker Gaming said:

it took them 2 hours lol

hence the "kinda" lol 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

3 minutes ago, Romikovec said:

😭😭😭 WHY 😭😭😭

Can someone cheer me up? Pls cuz i'm really sad.

its gonna be fine. also go sub to floatplane if you can afford it. (not bc they need it but you can watch exclusive stuff or wan show chat or whatever)