Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

2 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

Well, time to buy a backpack to help support mah man

I dont think they are going down from just this day

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Just now, MaxiTB said:

So what is going on there, is there an official statement out there?
I had to unsub from the youtube channel because it was filling up my subscriptions and I have no idea where any news are posted about this issue and if it is resolved.

He has acknowledged it on Twitter under his personal handle

3 minutes ago, ZeroPhoenix said:

Honestly it's really difficult for me to try and put myself in the position of someone who may have fallen for this, but still hopefully some of that can eventually be recovered and traced. 

Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to recover crypto, once the transaction goes through. The only way would be, if whatever exchange the scammers use would confiscate their funds (which is very unlikely and only has happened for a few huge frauds).

We can speculate a collective of thousands of years on what actually caused it, *but* might be better to just wait, though I guess speculating does make for some light mental exercise

1 minute ago, FSP said:

Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to recover crypto, once the transaction goes through. The only way would be, if whatever exchange the scammers use would confiscate their funds (which is very unlikely and only has happened for a few huge frauds).

Where did the stream video come from? Anyone know?

Omg, it's a signature!

3 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Us, every 23rd of MArch from now on

terrifiednootnoot.jpg

where were you when the ~~towers~~ channels fell?
>tfw dont know how to strikethrough here
>tfw no greentext here

Edited by Connorocker Gaming

2 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Us, every 23rd of MArch from now on

terrifiednootnoot.jpg

Yeah,
or
03/23/23

Weird date.. One for the books. 

Ryzen 9 7950X - Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX - ASUS ROG STRIX 670E-I Gaming Wifi - 64 GB DDR5 squeezed into a NZXT H1 V2

TÜV Certified Data Protection Officer (GDPR); Solution Engineer for Data Privacy & Digital Compliance

03/23/23 - We will always remember.

3 minutes ago, infinitytec said:

It could also be transactions between scammer wallets to make fake traffic. It's also possible they use the same wallets for several scams.

They could be doing that, but then I would expect them to send the "doubled" payment back to their own accounts as well.

thats it all the channels that were hacked have been removed. still got lmgclips and csf lol 😞

1 minute ago, NoGoat said:

He has acknowledged it on Twitter under his personal handle

Ah thanks 🙂

12 minutes ago, Tieox said:

r/LinusTechTips - I SPAT MY DRINK OUT TO THE LAST COMMENT LOL!

Good on those who can talk for letting people know about the scam. 😇

That last comment in the screenshot is so clever and funny. While there is little that a VPN can actually protect against, they tend to market themselves as if they can protect against everything.

1 minute ago, FSP said:

I actually care bit less about the money and more about figuring out who they may have been, seeing as there is now money involved and also what is probably cross-border criminal activity I'm sure this will get the attention of at least someone in a three-letter agency somewhere.

Will anything come from it? *almost certainly not* 

Just now, Connorocker Gaming said:

where were you when the ~~towers~~ channels fell?

Luke! Luke! Trun on the Tv! They Hit TechQuickie! They Hit Fucking TechQuickie!

Is that the biggest and greatest April fools joke?

23 March - No one is expecting this!

01 April - Yeahhh

02 - Now We Are back! You have been fooled 🙂

3 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

I dont think they are going down from just this day

I know, that's the joke, I was gonna buy next week, but I already have the money, so screw it buy now

Nothing to see here, move along

Should we all buy LTT backpacks and screwdrivers to help keep Linus Media Group financially afloat during this hack crisis?

I'll be sad if Linus has to miss a couple mortgage payments and take his kids to a soup kitchen because of slimey Elon Crypto Hackers.

10 minutes ago, littleneutrino said:

As someone who has been in tech and has crypto, I will NEVER understand how anyone can fall for this, give me a little and i will give you a lot type of Scam... IT reminds me of those websites from the mid 2000s Do this survey and sign up for one offer and will give you a Free iPad!!.. how would that be logical. What would they get out of that transaction that they could afford to give out a bajillion iPads. its Clearly a scam...

If only 0.01% of LTT subs are foolish enough, that is still plenty to make the scam a profitable cybercrime. Plus it is almost always no risk or punishment in any way for the criminals.

Think about how likely people are to win the lottery. They know their odds, but they still gamble anyway.

3 minutes ago, sombradirectory said:

Yeah,
or
03/23/23

Weird date.. One for the books. 

its gonna be 23.03.23 in EU books for sure

03/23/23 will be freedom books

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

over 1000 replies on this thread now

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)