Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

2126464293_download(5).jpeg.7ea3dc0f19cc5f5e7c3a59ac60695c30.jpeg

well its a 15 million sub channel and 2 others in the 1-3 million range I think 37 is a pretty good number considering the reach of a channel this big

2 minutes ago, FSP said:

I did some digging on the wallets they listed and it looks like about 37 people fell for this. You can also see the wallet totals. It could be that they use multiple wallets, but they didn't change for me, when refreshing their page.

image.png.68c21ef16fa9517e6c1d5ead332ede68.pngimage.png.25d6750c64075374580af7e6a2e18bcc.pngimage.png.20350ce0139b4f95521556ad36862a03.pngimage.png.160bb4c8f0b84259f0ed47f8e5cb52c5.png

Honestly it's really difficult for me to try and put myself in the position of someone who may have fallen for this, but still hopefully some of that can eventually be recovered and traced. 

13 minutes ago, ZeroPhoenix said:

I do hope everything works out and that the stress hasn't been too life shortening. Since there is no way that this is not an extremely stressful thing to deal with when you have a small Army of people to worry about.

Potentially 15M is quite a large army comparably.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

@Linus  @Luke , run a live stream, no audio, out the front of your building and let people use LTTStore to buy stuff and post merch messages in support.

Or just stream the wan set with the LTT Music looping.

C’mon you guys… I just really wanted to know what Elon musk is sayin go about bitcoin!

LMFAO why tf would they hack LTT instead of like ACTUAL Tesla???

Just now, Popo576 said:

C’mon you guys… I just really wanted to know what Elon musk is sayin go about bitcoin!

those sub counts baybee

16 minutes ago, Mikezz said:

There is a video on YouTube explaining how it works. I posted it somewhere in this thread. For example, the "fake sponsorship" thing. I can imagine that even tech-savvy people can fall for those sometimes. 

I expect this is one of those methods that the LMG managers are all very much well aware of.

My guess is it was something much more sophisticated, but still will be referred to by Linus and others as “an obvious mistake that could have been prevented” despite how it really isn’t a fault of LMG.

Or maybe LMG really did slip up and make some embarrassing mistake.

1 minute ago, Popo576 said:

Cuz LTT had way more subs.

Ryzen 9 7950X - Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX - ASUS ROG STRIX 670E-I Gaming Wifi - 64 GB DDR5 squeezed into a NZXT H1 V2

TÜV Certified Data Protection Officer (GDPR); Solution Engineer for Data Privacy & Digital Compliance

03/23/23 - We will always remember.

Just now, Agall said:

Potentially 15M is quite a large army comparably.

I was referring to just employees, not exactly sure on the effectiveness of it army of untrained civilians even if there are 15 million of them 😛

6 minutes ago, FSP said:

I did some digging on the wallets they listed and it looks like about 37 people fell for this. You can also see the wallet totals. It could be that they use multiple wallets, but they didn't change for me, when refreshing their page.

image.png.68c21ef16fa9517e6c1d5ead332ede68.pngimage.png.25d6750c64075374580af7e6a2e18bcc.pngimage.png.20350ce0139b4f95521556ad36862a03.pngimage.png.160bb4c8f0b84259f0ed47f8e5cb52c5.png

As someone who has been in tech and has crypto, I will NEVER understand how anyone can fall for this, give me a little and i will give you a lot type of Scam... IT reminds me of those websites from the mid 2000s Do this survey and sign up for one offer and will give you a Free iPad!!.. how would that be logical. What would they get out of that transaction that they could afford to give out a bajillion iPads. its Clearly a scam...

Just now, Eluminary said:

well its a 15 million sub channel and 2 others in the 1-3 million range I think 37 is a pretty good number considering the reach of a channel this big

That just shows how profitable these scams are. Even with "just" 1M of subscribers if they fool 0.01% of people it's still worth it to them.

2 minutes ago, Pontneddfechan said:

Channel Super Fun? Or is that too soon. 

All jokes aside hope LMG and YouTube fix this soon and make a video highlighting the issues.

They could use the They're Just Movies channel and rename it to They're Just Tech Tips.

Well, time to buy a backpack to help support mah man

Edit: yeah, it's just a joke, but was gonna buy anyway next week, so I just bought now instead

Edited by Riddler356

Nothing to see here, move along

7 minutes ago, Noamazia said:

hope linus or someone would just get their phone and record something to LMG clips since its still up. or maybe a another website like twitter and post the link here

2 minutes ago, Pontneddfechan said:

Channel Super Fun? Or is that too soon. 

All jokes aside hope LMG and YouTube fix this soon and make a video highlighting the issues.

I Spend the Night in the Youtube Servers without Susan Wojcicki Knowing

7 minutes ago, FSP said:

It could also be transactions between scammer wallets to make fake traffic. It's also possible they use the same wallets for several scams.

Just now, ZeroPhoenix said:

I was referring to just employees, not exactly sure on the effectiveness of it army of untrained civilians even if there are 15 million of them 😛

You underestimate the power of the LTT fanbase. I bet there's hundreds already queued up to go on the electronic equivalent of Taken on whoever did this.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

9 minutes ago, dpt17 said:

I thought this was silly and dumb when I noticed the problem 2.5 hours ago this AM.  Now it is almost 10am EDT and it's not resolved and I am mad for LTT.  I know that Youtube has account reps for channels of this size.  This is what an account rep is for.  An account rep is someone who you should be able to call in a pinch and they would be able to escalate to on-call Eng / IT to stop a problem like this.  Maybe all of the content doesn't become unhidden immediately.  Sure.  Whatever.  But the fact that hours in to this the channel logo, tag, and live stream with plutocrats like Elon promoting crypto garbage is live is inexcusable.  Put up a damn maintenance page message on the channel that informs confused viewers that the channel will return later.  Google should at least be able to do that right away.

But you see that would involve YouTube caring about something other than income and the legal system.

1 minute ago, Riddler356 said:

Well, time to buy a backpack to help support mah man

I want the fancy Leather one from the 500FPS Live Stream the other day!! I feel like my normal LTT Backpack is just a regular Jansport compared to that thing... Where am I supposed to put all these ScrewDrivers!!!!

1 minute ago, dragonkyng said:

I Spend the Night in the Youtube Servers without Susan Wojcicki Knowing

Since when was this a hacker forum? 😂

Omg, it's a signature!

So what is going on there, is there an official statement out there?
I had to unsub from the youtube channel because it was filling up my subscriptions and I have no idea where any news are posted about this issue and if it is resolved.

4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Yeah.  I can see that.  Without me being around someone like my dear old mother would've been utterly locked out of her devices and accounts multiple times.  

As I recall from when she had a Mac though... she needed to have another apple device to do the password reset which was a real pain in the back. 

It is still the biggest security brainfart almost ever. The people who would be affected negatively use the feature so little that if it ever comes into question, they would have hard time doing it anyway. As in if password change always required login credentials or even better would be separate security credentials (as in having different password for your device than to your account so while your device can be compromised, your account could still be safe), the people who couldn't change their password for not remembering their original password probably couldn't even get to the setting to change the password. Not to mention that those people who cannot even remember their years old password to change their password, the feature asking them the password before changing would be considered safety feature because those people 100-sure wouldn't remember their new password after 5 minutes changing it.

46 minutes ago, Datanerdje said:

This is your first message? Really?

What's wrong with this being my first message? I saw the news and remembered I signed up ages ago but never logged in again, so I reset my password.

What is the issue? Please let me know.