I'm switching to AMD

Other James
3 minutes ago, TB_SP said:

Ban influencers

...He said, on the influencer's forum. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

...He said, on the influencer's forum. 

Never watched a Linus video start to finish, actually I did an old one from 10 years ago, back when he had not yet discovered the opposite sex, before he wasn't paid by junk companies like Asus and other junk products sold as seen on youtube🙂

Look at the avatar bud, what do you see? Look deep into my eyes! 

On 3/6/2023 at 1:53 AM, TB_SP said:

I would hesitate to update drivers for months. And all the hype on internet posts about 'boost' or 'better' !

So please Linus, if they paid you for the video, don't actually sell your soul for a piece of gold! 

I can't speak for everyone but I think the drivers issues on AMD tend to be overstated at this point.

I've been running on an AMD GPU for around a week now coming from Nvidia and I have not had a single issue. I like the Adrenaline software so far.

I know some people running both Nvidia and AMD run into hardware issues and that sucks but that tends to be a separate problem often related to 3rd party build quality. 

I've seen two topical issues with AMD recently.

One was that AMD gpu dies were cracking, there was a theory it was related to driver update. This turned out to be false and was one vendor receiving a pile of used GPU's sent in for repair likely all originating from the same mining farm. Turns out the GPU has been washed down with tap water to clean then never dried out properly.

This is how the GPU's were being cleaned for resale at some mining farms, yes this voids warranty: 

Second one is apparently an issue with the latest release bricking a small number of Windows installs which appears to be related to a problem with a conflict with a windows update and is being addressed. Part of the trouble with diagnosing it is its apparently only impacted a very small group of people.

I know AMD cards have had a lot of issues in the past. I returned the one I bought back around 2016 because I had so many issues with it. But for the newer cards I dunno, maybe I'm just extraordinarily lucky but my experience has been comparable to any Nvidia card I've purchased in the past 10 years so far.

Does AMD have a Nvidia Reflex equivalent yet?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 3/7/2023 at 9:12 AM, Loki0111 said:

I can't speak for everyone but I think the drivers issues on AMD tend to be overstated at this point.

I've been running on an AMD GPU for around a week now coming from Nvidia and I have not had a single issue. I like the Adrenaline software so far.

I know some people running both Nvidia and AMD run into hardware issues and that sucks but that tends to be a separate problem often related to 3rd party build quality. 

I've seen two topical issues with AMD recently.

One was that AMD gpu dies were cracking, there was a theory it was related to driver update. This turned out to be false and was one vendor receiving a pile of used GPU's sent in for repair likely all originating from the same mining farm. Turns out the GPU has been washed down with tap water to clean then never dried out properly.

This is how the GPU's were being cleaned for resale at some mining farms, yes this voids warranty: 

Second one is apparently an issue with the latest release bricking a small number of Windows installs which appears to be related to a problem with a conflict with a windows update and is being addressed. Part of the trouble with diagnosing it is its apparently only impacted a very small group of people.

I know AMD cards have had a lot of issues in the past. I returned the one I bought back around 2016 because I had so many issues with it. But for the newer cards I dunno, maybe I'm just extraordinarily lucky but my experience has been comparable to any Nvidia card I've purchased in the past 10 years so far.

1 week.. give it time! May the force (of patience) be with you!

15 hours ago, TB_SP said:

1 week.. give it time! May the force (of patience) be with you!

I ran AMD GPU's for 7 years straight, bought rx 480 from launch and 5700 xt slighly after launch and never had any problems with either card.

I actually miss the AMD drivers, mostly because they had everything there. No need to download Gefore experience just to have some basic functionality.

Had AMD GPUs for a very long time after I got burned bad by nVIDIA, unfortunately currently one of my main use cases for my home PC is rendering in Blender. That sucked really bad at least until mid last year when I finally switched to nVIDIA. Any of the AMD users here run Blender and is it getting any better? (I meant it wasn't just slow, it was buggy as hell on my end as well)

Been using RX 6800 since October (switched from 1080ti) and honestly haven't had any problems yet. The card runs much cooler and the performance is excellent, I've learned to love Image Sharpening feature and honestly can't live without it. Why are games so damn blurry these days? lol 🥲

On 3/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, nasir91 said:

Why are games so damn blurry these days

Yeah, it always cracks me up when they do a tech demonstration showing all the blur settings, Motion blur, obscureness fields, haze, ambient occlusion, water detail......WTF  If you are playing a FPS...do you really want it to be impossible to see anything??

I'm not going for a motion picture award for film noir.....I want to see my enemy so I can kill him !!!

PS, running a 7900XT and the drivers are working great. 

15 hours ago, mdk777 said:

Yeah, it always cracks me up when they do a tech demonstration showing all the blur settings, Motion blur, obscureness fields, haze, ambient occlusion, water detail......WTF  If you are playing a FPS...do you really want it to be impossible to see anything??

I'm not going for a motion picture award for film noir.....I want to see my enemy so I can kill him !!!

Since I posted the driver issues and some argued I am an nVidia marketing asset - let's give nVidia a spank.

RTX/ RT turned on, even with dlss Ultra Perf, the fps penalty makes it unfit for purpose. Checked out RTX 4080/4090 with RT on in Warhammer 40000 Darktide, the fps drops and low 1% makes gameplay unfit. If I don't have 100-150fps, why did I spend 1200-1500€ for a graphics card?! To see the RT lights?

Hope to see more good feedback, for a consistent amount of time as the RX 6800 XT (XFX Merc) I had was a disaster for drivers vs Freesync vs HDR and general compatibility with windows and games.

Alt Tab to Windows from HDR games to HDR Windows desktop - was a lottery - will it crash, will it lose HDR in windows and turn whole desktop FREAKY WHITE BLEACH LIGHT. Alt tab back into games - would sometimes mess all colours requiring to turn of HDR or restart game to get back to normal.

I repeat, the card ran fine for months, and then these issues became a total no-no-no to AMD drivers! 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:34 PM, mdk777 said:

Don't forget the awful TAA most games have on these days. That's when Image sharpening becomes a life saver 😉

• 4 months later...

Hey guys. Where's part 2? As someone daily driving an RX 6750XT I'm very interested in your follow-up to this, but can't see it online. Have I missed something?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, CPU: Intel 12400F, Cooler: DeepCool AG400 BK ARGB, RAM: 16GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast 6000, VGA: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6750 XT GAMING OC, Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB

Will switch eventually after current system to X3D chip

Energetically will I meet enemies of the United States

2 hours ago, InteraX said:

Hey guys. Where's part 2? As someone daily driving an RX 6750XT I'm very interested in your follow-up to this, but can't see it online. Have I missed something?

The video was a lie and Linus returned to NVIDIA and the challenge was canceled.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

13 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The video was a lie and Linus returned to NVIDIA and the challenge was canceled.

That is false.

The other day I asked that very same question and as it turns out Linus talked about it on the WAN show a few weeks back. He's still on AMD, but he's been way too busy.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

On 7/28/2023 at 7:00 AM, InteraX said:

Still on our radar.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:03 PM, DonGirses said:

Radeon Anti-Lag, in theory

On 3/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

Does AMD have a Nvidia Reflex equivalent yet?

Doesnt really matter right now but Radeon Anti-Lag came in 2019 while Nvidia Reflex came in 2020.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/28/2023 at 10:00 AM, InteraX said:

Eyyyy I just got an XFX 6750XT and I'm loving it. Super quiet even with a mesh case, and it lets me play Hogwarts in ultra (granted no RT). I wanted to get whatever Intel is releasing next, but the lack of info on when the next card will be released or what specs it will have + my impatience made me go with AMD for the first time. Zero regrets so far! Plus their software is actually really really nice, and doesn't force me to log in to it. *thumbs up*

I posted some test results in the Unigine benchmark thread in case you want to see how the card compares to others; but it seems that those benchmarks may be a bit outdated?