I'm switching to AMD

Other James

It’s been over a DECADE since I’ve run an AMD graphics card in my system, but with me swearing off the 40 series from NVIDIA, it looks like it’s my only option for an upgrade this cycle.

6 minutes ago, 8tg said:

you too can be part of the piss yellow a770 club 

Those red lights on the mobo kinda throw the mix off, maybe you can make them match? Then it would be a 10/10 build.

5 minutes ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Just add more coolers to hide the LEDs!

It still refracts on the case. You can see it below the GPU power connectors. 

1 hour ago, jamesscott said:

it looks like it’s my only option

This is not true.

Matrox still exists 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, TheNerdTastic said:

It still refracts on the case. You can see it below the GPU power connectors. 

You know the solution to this problem: Construct additional pylons coolers!

I'm in the same boat, changed to AMD GPU after like 15 years. Recently upgraded from 1080ti to RX 6800, very nice performance uplift and minimal driver issues.

Last time I had an AMD GPU it died on me after 6 months (that was back in 2008) so it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I saw the notification for this and was compelled to add my 2 cents (or $1 adjusted for inflation). 

It always felt weird running gear from 2 different companies that had different methodologies.  My preference is to run AMD with AMD, or Intel with Intel.  Given how bloated Intel is (and the dark functions that are reportedly more numerous than in the AMD variant), AMD is my preference.  The Ryzen series has been great, but does that apply to their GPU's as well? 

As a Mint user (on and off for the past 15 years, but solid for the past 2), I really want the ability to see and control (my fans if nothing else) the same way Windows users do.  Yeah, terminal stuff is neat, but I really need the room in my head for more important things than memorizing commands.  That damned DOS stuff is still in there and no amount of alcohol has been able to remove it.

14 minutes ago, JasonShrout said:

I saw the notification for this and was compelled to add my 2 cents (or $1 adjusted for inflation). 

It always felt weird running gear from 2 different companies that had different methodologies.  My preference is to run AMD with AMD, or Intel with Intel. 

Intel didn't make GPU's until within the past year. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

12 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Intel didn't make GPU's until within the past year. 

https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-news/chasing-pixels/intels-gpu-history

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I was really looking forward to this series. Hope the user experience is fine, although it's also a hoot to see all the jank they have to apply. 

I'm on a 3060 now, but I really wanna shift to a 7600 xt or something when they come out, as I also ran into size limitations in my old mITX case. I just hope that Sapphire is going to make another slim card so I can get my little box back 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

4 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

I was really looking forward to this series. Hope the user experience is fine, although it's also a hoot to see all the jank they have to apply. 

I'm on a 3060 now, but I really wanna shift to a 7600 xt or something when they come out, as I also ran into size limitations in my old mITX case. I just hope that Sapphire is going to make another slim card so I can get my little box back 

Dude, I'd love to get the new 7000 series cards but the shroud sizes are stupid. I'm also restricted to a 2 slot card due to my Mini ITX case and the smallest cards for the last 2~ years have all been like 2.5 at least, the odd exception was I think an EVGA 3080ti that was a 2 slot card (2.1 or something but that's within my parameters).

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

16 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Dude, I'd love to get the new 7000 series cards but the shroud sizes are stupid. I'm also restricted to a 2 slot card due to my Mini ITX case and the smallest cards for the last 2~ years have all been like 2.5 at least, the odd exception was I think an EVGA 3080ti that was a 2 slot card (2.1 or something but that's within my parameters).

Its crazy. I really hope that the improvements in efficiency can make for some modest coolers on mid tier cards. My case is a Node 304 and Sapphires 6650 xt pulse or 6700 non pulse are slim enough. I accidentally ordered a pulse that was a few mm too wide and after returning it I was just. Duck it, I'm waiting for next Gen or a really good price. I have the money, so it's weird I'm being so frugal. But I've obsessed over this for 2 years now, so next time I'm doing it right.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

I'm pretty sure Jake could've just flipped the mounting bracket for the pump/res combo 180° and would've achieved the same without drilling additional holes.

16 hours ago, JasonShrout said:

It always felt weird running gear from 2 different companies that had different methodologies.  My preference is to run AMD with AMD, or Intel with Intel.

You literally couldn't do this till like 11 months ago for intel.

Pcs could not give less of a fuck what gpu and cpu you pair 😛

21 hours ago, 8tg said:

Join us true chads in the land of intel arc

all the companies suck, intel at least isn’t priced at 4 digits

19FBEDB4-D844-48FD-99F4-A2701EE6F20C.thumb.jpeg.f332024b45a4a99c0759a7d93e14fbfa.jpeg

i mean

790xt is still 999 or a 6950xt is 900, only 2 of amd gpus are 4 digits

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

21 hours ago, 8tg said:

all the companies suck, intel at least isn’t priced at 4 digits

19FBEDB4-D844-48FD-99F4-A2701EE6F20C.thumb.jpeg.f332024b45a4a99c0759a7d93e14fbfa.jpeg

hows the gaming performance in ultra settings warzone 2 btw?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

9 hours ago, Fendrick said:

Went fromRTX 3070 to 6900 XT, was a great decision.

I did the same due to VRAM limitations at 1440p UW. Though I ended up dropping my 6900 XT because of VRAM limitations at 4K....

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

At 13:50 Linus mentions using a Thunderbolt card in his PC. I have had one I have been trying to use in my PC for over 4 months now and I can't get it to work! Does anyone on here know about these things and how to get them to work? 

5 hours ago, RaphiIRL said:

At 13:50 Linus mentions using a Thunderbolt card in his PC. I have had one I have been trying to use in my PC for over 4 months now and I can't get it to work! Does anyone on here know about these things and how to get them to work? 

It depends what operating system do you use and what are you trying to get work, I have one of the same thunderbolt docks as Linus and currently have everything but ethernet working on it. Though again, I have a thunderbolt dock with a motherboard that has rear thunderbolt rather then a card so my advice might be somewhat limited.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, 8tg said:

That is a very smol Define 7

TIL they made one smaller than a mid tower

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!