I'm switching to AMD

Other James
On 3/2/2023 at 2:50 AM, 8tg said:

Join us true chads in the land of intel arc

I would love to, but having only DX12 support throws me off. Most of my collection of games still run DX11 (with some running DX10 and a few rare ones run at DX9).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Coincidentally I just switched from a GTX 1660 to a RX 6800 yesterday. 

Once I cleaned off all the Nvidia drivers and software, ran DDU and installed Adrenaline its been shocking smooth with no issues at all. I've had no hardware or software compatibility issues at all with any titles so far.

12 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

Coincidentally I just switched from a GTX 1660 to a RX 6800 yesterday. 

Once I cleaned off all the Nvidia drivers and software, ran DDU and installed Adrenaline its been shocking smooth with no issues at all. I've had no hardware or software compatibility issues at all with any titles so far.

Because Navi 1 adopters like me went through driver hell and reported every,every other update until they got it mostly straitened out, how my card plays on todays drivers vs my first driver's, you'd think I had two different cards

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

My 5700 XT was an Aorus  (One of the best models) and it black screened all the time, had it for 9 months and gave up, sold it when the market went down hill and moved to an RTX 2060 that gave no issues ever.

However from there I went to an RTX 3070 and a 1440P 165hz display which caused black screens, this time it was the Display Port cable being cheap and crappy (Not all manufacturers provide a cable that can handle their max refresh-rate at native) I ordered an 8K VESA certified cable from Cabledirect and it's never failed. https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-DisplayPort-version-certified-supports/dp/B07HL7RSRW/ref=d_pd_di_sccai_cn_sccl_3_2/259-7503913-2184727?pd_rd_w=aqN7D&content-id=amzn1.sym.d442a4dc-d183-4869-95c4-86b3d492f0b7&pf_rd_p=d442a4dc-d183-4869-95c4-86b3d492f0b7&pf_rd_r=6HKCDMP9R3YGZESA58TV&pd_rd_wg=4nUq1&pd_rd_r=b2ecac53-a758-4d56-9f35-9bd58dadc808&pd_rd_i=B07HL7RSRW&psc=1

Then moved to the RX 6900 XT which has never given me a single issue even in 23.2.2 driver.

Linus did cover this.

5800X 4720mhz fixed OC 6900XT -75mv, 2600mhz 1440P 165hz

Full rig here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xvJF2m  

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

I would love to, but having only DX12 support throws me off. Most of my collection of games still run DX11 (with some running DX10 and a few rare ones run at DX9).

Not a concern, gigantic spoilered images below:

Spoiler

Halo 2 Remastered in MCC, DX11, running at 4k max settings for 35-45fps:

20230302220741_1.thumb.jpg.c5f6c5d84eace1c5fad013e8c8f8760f.jpg

Theres no stutter which is the primary issue, honestly this doesnt run that much better on my 3070ti

You can put it in toaster mode circa 2003 if you want the authentic experience, but also if you want 200fps+

20230302220744_1.thumb.jpg.f92ef4bcedc42dc8c27416f8f8684ab8.jpg

GTA V, 4k max settings but no AA/MSAA, this includes things like the softest grass and extended shadows and distance scaling in DX11, pulls a consistent 60-70fps until you get balls deep in the grass, because super soft grass tanks framerate

20230302213922_1.thumb.jpg.e059f3ab74a6529f78f6626a5b3939b7.jpg

20230302214459_1.thumb.jpg.ffe94b2d561fa3b6a77b7345bd0f7df3.jpg

And for  DX9 title, off the top of my head i thought team fortress 2, same deal max settings 4k, pulls 170-200fps+

20230302212833_1.thumb.jpg.2083d47bd247d74d78f72bb503bb30fa.jpg

Obviously this changes with maps a bit but its consistently over 150fps. No stutter which is the primary concern with Arc on DX9

Most of those issues with arc got fixed within the last few months as driver updates. See the GamersNexus 2023 video on it where they show the changes over time.

3 hours ago, 8tg said:

Most of those issues with arc got fixed within the last few months as driver updates. See the GamersNexus 2023 video on it where they show the changes over time.

Ah, yeah, I haven't try it yet, but I have return my card so I have no Intel Arc GPU to experiment. Maybe I'll try to get one soon.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:31 PM, nasir91 said:

I'm in the same boat, changed to AMD GPU after like 15 years. Recently upgraded from 1080ti to RX 6800, very nice performance uplift and minimal driver issues.

Last time I had an AMD GPU it died on me after 6 months (that was back in 2008) so it left a sour taste in my mouth.

No kidding, friend of mine with an RTX 3070 already misses freesync compared to a non-native gsync monitor.

Went from a Vega 56 to an RX 6800 as well, night and day including support for resizeable BAR.

Can't relate to the dying gpu thing tho, first AMD card was (not mine) an HD 7770, then (mine) R9 390, both of which worked perfectly fine.

XFX 6800XT - the russian roulette of AMD Drivers! Hell NO!

HELL NO! 🙂 The XFX  RX 6800XT SAGA:

I had to RMA the card after 16 months, for full refund as I have this fancy place I buy from for many € / year and we in Spain have 3 years warranty on any electronics. But that's a different discussion.

IT WAS BLESSING THE CARD PACKED UP! I have heard angels sing and the lot!

Card FROZE with artefacts in Rainbow Six Extraction and that was it! Pulled out my dummy 1050 Ti testing gpu from the closet of goodies and sorted out RMA!

That crashed too, as it rotten the PCIe slot in the process... but 1050Ti worked fine in other mobo slot... not the XFX! RIP!

Never had been run over 65C if that, in a Corsair Obsidian 750D with massive fans curved to perfection... gaming always 55-65C!

Card FPS was nice, but... BUT THE DRIVERS... Linus you'll get white hairs in your hipster beard! 🙂

Every release of AMD drivers would be a russian roulette with (at least) 2 of 6 holes occupied!

The WINDOWS HDR is a total clusterfork on AMD, whereas my LG monitor would have a will of its own, suddenly defaulting to 8 bit and 120Hz locked, change colours mode force refresh, many black screens, though normally would run 144Hz 10Bit no problems! Then the ALT TAB in HDR on windows HDR on in games.. more drama!

Always tinker always the drama, such nonsense makes me sad! Ran in an X570 chipset mobo 3200mhz ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Rog Strix X570E - well the GPU failure also KILLED the mobo, the PCIe slot was NEVER again usable! It would boot to Windows but under load, instant blue screen or freeze/restart!

Maybe it was too heavy a card - a monster, but it was supported with a bracket, corsair RM1000x cables tied to not pull on the card.. etc. Most possible precautions were taken! Theory is... something shorted on the card and burnt the PCIe voltage feed! 

Maybe it was bad luck, BUT THE DRIVERS, the internet rages...on and on! 

Back to Nvidia with RTX 3080! Back to MSI mobo as Asus was RMA'd as well... (2022 spring). 

THERE's PLENTY of nVidia DRAMA but not at the level of AMD QA drivers!

PS: just made the news AMD Adrenaline GPU drivers can brick Windows...with latest updates. 

Edited by LogicalDrm

Sounds more to me like you had a faulty GPU and not a driver issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Ran every AAA title I wanted in 3440x1440 at 70-144fps VSync on... One day out of the blue, dead. 

Before that, no, it wasn't a faulty GPU. But the driver issues were always there. 

I said the same to scalper nVidia prices with the covid crypto craze... but... never again.

15 minutes ago, TB_SP said:

I had to RMA the card after 16 months, for full refund as I have this fancy place I buy from for many € / year and we in Spain have 3 years warranty on any electronics. But that's a different discussion.

Card FROZE with artefacts in Rainbow Six Extraction and that was it! Pulled out my dummy 1050 Ti testing gpu from the closet of goodies and sorted out RMA!

That crashed too, as it rotten the PCIe slot in the process... but 1050Ti worked fine in other mobo slot... not the XFX! RIP!

Never had been run over 65C if that, in a Corsair Obsidian 750D with massive fans curved to perfection... gaming always 55-65C!

Card FPS was nice, but... BUT THE DRIVERS... Linus you'll get white hairs in your hipster beard! 🙂

Every release of AMD drivers would be a russian roulette with (at least) 2 of 6 holes occupied!

The WINDOWS HDR is a total clusterfork on AMD, whereas my LG monitor would have a will of its own, suddenly defaulting to 8 bit and 120Hz locked, change colours mode force refresh, many black screens, though normally would run 144Hz 10Bit no problems! Then the ALT TAB in HDR on windows HDR on in games.. more drama!

Always tinker always the drama, such nonsense makes me sad! Ran in an X570 chipset mobo 3200mhz ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Rog Strix X570E - well the GPU failure also KILLED the mobo, the PCIe slot was NEVER again usable! It would boot to Windows but under load, instant blue screen or freeze/restart!

Maybe it was too heavy a card - a monster, but it was supported with a bracket, corsair RM1000x cables tied to not pull on the card.. etc. Most possible precautions were taken! Theory is... something shorted on the card and burnt the PCIe voltage feed! 

Back to Nvidia with RTX 3080! Back to MSI mobo as Asus was RMA'd as well... (2022 spring). 

PS: just made the news AMD Adrenaline GPU drivers can brick Windows...with latest updates. 

And BTW... PMSL @ nvidia power connector melting and the works!

Will wait until next year, I'll drag the RTX 3080 until the cheapskates @Nvidia fix that !

I used AMD graphics from 2009 to 2020. Drivers were always my main gripe with them. I would not update drivers on months on end because of not wanting to do a clean install of windows in case I experienced the good old black screen issue (which was a LOT more common during my time with AMD). There is also the consistent feature/dick fighting contest AMD has got going on with Nvidia since 2014. Nvidia introduces a feature, AMD tries to replicate it (and consistently fail to do so) and that in turn results in fucked up driver packages for months.

People keep forgetting that DDU actually became a thing because how terrible AMD drivers are. Heck, even AMD HAD to make a tool to do a through uninstall of their own drivers.

AMD always prioritizes wrong things when it comes to software. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

45 minutes ago, TB_SP said:

Ran every AAA title I wanted in 3440x1440 at 70-144fps VSync on... One day out of the blue, dead. 

Before that, no, it wasn't a faulty GPU. But the driver issues were always there. 

I said the same to scalper nVidia prices with the covid crypto craze... but... never again.

The QA for the CPU's are amazing the GPU's its pretty clear they are just budget scalping customers on that end. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

Running RX 6800 now for about two years. The sole problem I had was because of a feature left in the driver for Crossfire power saving they should really just remove since nobody is using Crossfire now. Once I figured that out, zero issues. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, TB_SP said:

XFX 6800XT - the russian roulette of AMD Drivers! Hell NO!

Merged to official video thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/2/2023 at 2:57 AM, venomtail said:

Dude, I'd love to get the new 7000 series cards but the shroud sizes are stupid. I'm also restricted to a 2 slot card due to my Mini ITX case and the smallest cards for the last 2~ years have all been like 2.5 at least, the odd exception was I think an EVGA 3080ti that was a 2 slot card (2.1 or something but that's within my parameters).

The 3080ti was 350tdp while the 7900 xtx is 420tdp.Which don't sound like a big jump but it is a huge jump.

9 hours ago, Levent said:

I used AMD graphics from 2009 to 2020. Drivers were always my main gripe with them. I would not update drivers on months on end because of not wanting to do a clean install of windows in case I experienced the good old black screen issue (which was a LOT more common during my time with AMD). There is also the consistent feature/dick fighting contest AMD has got going on with Nvidia since 2014. Nvidia introduces a feature, AMD tries to replicate it (and consistently fail to do so) and that in turn results in fucked up driver packages for months.

People keep forgetting that DDU actually became a thing because how terrible AMD drivers are. Heck, even AMD HAD to make a tool to do a through uninstall of their own drivers.

I would hesitate to update drivers for months. And all the hype on internet posts about 'boost' or 'better' !

So please Linus, if they paid you for the video, don't actually sell your soul for a piece of gold! 

9 hours ago, Levent said:

I would hesitate to update drivers for months. And all the hype on internet posts about 'boost' or 'better' !

So please Linus, if they paid you for the video, don't actually sell your soul for a piece of gold! 

RYZEN CPU - no regrets! 

I had the pi$$ off intel reaction to 3-5% generational leap with every 2-3 gen new socket!

Radeon graphics was just incompetence bliss from AMD, and this RX 6800XT was the ONLY radeon graphics I've had... before 980, 1080 ti, 2080 Super... and before that the 780, always the *80 nvidia. 

On 3/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, 8tg said:

Join us true chads in the land of intel arc

all the companies suck, intel at least isn’t priced at 4 digits

19FBEDB4-D844-48FD-99F4-A2701EE6F20C.thumb.jpeg.f332024b45a4a99c0759a7d93e14fbfa.jpeg

you too can be part of the piss yellow a770 club 

Honestly I would've considered the A770 but they just did not do any discounts over Black Friday or Boxing Day. A really big missed opportunity in my opinion to get more of these into people's hands and grow the userbase to further improve. Especially when comparable cards at the time like the 6650XT were as low as 330 CAD and the 6700XT was matching the A770. Before the driver uplift in performance, it just stood there during the holiday season at regular price and its pants soiled. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

nVidia - been around the block since eons. achieved greatness. then there's the PCIe connector and cheap VRAM at times... but... still great! Had the b4lls to tell off Apple - forever respect for not bowing to the great chinese now indian 'sandwich mainboard in phones' & 'we solder SSD to mobo in 'PRO' named devices'! 

AMD - the aspiring second choice. Champion of MAJOR BGA GPU chip failures in the likes of Macbook & PC laptops / a reason to avoid. 5% nVidia GPU failures vs 80% AMD GPU failures in laptops. Ryzen CPUs - bow down to the king of value for money in CPUs !

intel - forget about it, do they even make graphics cards? Still need a generator to cover the nM vs Wattage and compensate by removing the home heater ? 

9 hours ago, TB_SP said:

I say its fine for Linus to do this test. Just not good for the general consumer. Cause if Linus complains then AMD is actually gonna do something. Cause when Linus "steps on the tail" of the beast places seem to care. Where as a nobody tech ethusiast will probably just get their complaints shelved unfortunately. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

10 hours ago, TB_SP said:

Much better he continues to provide free advertising for Nvidia, who regularly engage in deceptive branding and marketing of their products, tried to freeze out reviewers who wouldn't toe their line, and are slowly but surely pricing PC gaming out of existence. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 hours ago, Middcore said:

Much better he continues to provide free advertising for Nvidia, who regularly engage in deceptive branding and marketing of their products, tried to freeze out reviewers who wouldn't toe their line, and are slowly but surely pricing PC gaming out of existence. 

You're not wrong, but there's no choice.

Is like iPhones or Samsung galaxies... yeah it's nice to have THE LATEST but the previous gen is just as goon a year later, keep a year, loose less money. 

It's the herding mold that's the problem not nVidia not AMD not banana company logo, it's the people and human nature! Ban influencers, for example... 🙂