Amazon health care

Summary

Amazon teamed up with a company to let you video chat doctors from home. 

Quotes

Today, we’re excited to announce that One Medical has joined Amazon and our mission to make it dramatically easier for customers to get what they need to stay healthy. With One Medical, customers can connect with clinicians 24/7 via video chat or messaging if that’s most convenient. Or, customers can choose to make an appointment same day or within days to visit any of One Medical’s offices in many U.S. cities.

My thoughts

Say what you will about big companies being evil and traysh maybe they will abuse the profiting from health care. 

But so many people don't know anything about medical health, making this accessible is great for so many people.

It's a hassle and a half to just get a medical opinion for many people. 

It does suck that Amazon is monopolizing everything you need in one place but... For the lay person, you only need to know one website which is great! 

Sources

https://www.amazon.com/welcomeomletter/b/?_encoding=UTF8&node=86386266011&ref_=AJL_OML_GWH_Mobile_Static_TSTO_V1_A_0223&pf_rd_p=12e662e5-1765-49f7-857a-0d03e5059f75&pd_rd_wg=MfBeO&pf_rd_r=E4GNH6TPSGM9DAYJ7BSD&content-id=amzn1.sym.12e662e5-1765-49f7-857a-0d03e5059f75&pd_rd_w=NgbGu&painterId=billboard-card&pd_rd_r=56b43c99-cf2d-41cf-bc7d-74e6314a835d

Yeah, I don't see this going well... Amazon is out for information. Not to be helpful. So recently I switched jobs, and that meant new insurance. My new insurance cover my very generic maintenance medication in a 90 day supply for some reason at any local pharmacy, only in 30 day supplies. My insurance company tells me to contact Amazon RX as they will do 90 day supplies through that. First thing Amazon does is ask me about my medication, which I entered. Then it proceeded to let me enter all sorts of personal information and create an account only to tell me they don't carry my medication (the first question they asked before any info was entered). Then they continue to spam me with emails asking me to move RXs to their service?

Just for context my prescription is so generic and common I can get it without insurance through a local pharmacy for under $10. 

24 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

Imagine Amazon strong arming the medical industry. Prices would drop like a rock overnight.

Until you try to use Amazon's search engine to find "high blood pressure medicine" and die of a heart attack before finding something relevant 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, billbill said:

Major pharmacies will send meds in the postal mail and some already offer a 90 day supply. Amazon might have it in a name brand only for certain meds. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Until you try to use Amazon's search engine to find "high blood pressure medicine" and die of a heart attack before finding something relevant 

Amazon pharmacy has been a thing for a while. 

This is new for seeing doctors. 

4 hours ago, billbill said:

Major pharmacies will send meds in the postal mail and some already offer a 90 day supply. Amazon might have it in a name brand only for certain meds. 

My main point was, Amazon collected my information knowing they didn't have my prescription. The process should have stopped at the pointed when I entered my medication. (The very first step). I would not have given them the information had I known that up front. 

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Purchase habits, text analysis, voice samples, now blood & DNA samples.

Oh yeah, it's all coming together.

Finally, I can order a clone to go to work for me so I can stay home and play video games. 

No one will be the wiser! 

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Until you try to use Amazon's search engine to find "high blood pressure medicine", become frustrated by all the bullshit/non-related results (Pop ups/Ads), your blood pressure goes WAY UP from the stress and you die of a heart attack before finding something that's even close to relevant.

Fixed that for you.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Fixed that for you.

As though the irritation of waiting in long lines (in person or drive-through) at the local pharmacy is any better.

If I need meds, they can just mail mine before my existing supply runs low.

14 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Fixed that for you.

Right, but brevity is the soul of wit. I was aiming to be witty

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

My main point was, Amazon collected my information knowing they didn't have my prescription. The process should have stopped at the pointed when I entered my medication. (The very first step). I would not have given them the information had I known that up front. 

It's likely they have to check if they carry it from a local warehouse, because some medication needs to be shipped light/cold/humidity-managed or even compounded. Given how utterly crap all the parcel couriers are today, medication is something you want hand-delivered to you, that day, and not left on a doorstop outside for 3 hours. 

That said, they should have only needed the drug name and the zip code to start.

15 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

They probably do that so that if they do start carrying your prescription in the future, they can contact you to let you know. Not great, for sure, but not as nefarious as it might otherwise seem. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

They probably do that so that if they do start carrying your prescription in the future, they can contact you to let you know. Not great, for sure, but not as nefarious as it might otherwise seem. 

I will admit some months later they did contact me (after many spam emails later) and with one that said they now carry my prescription. However I still never would have given them the information in the first place. (I still don't use them.)

18 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Not quite the same thing, but reminds me of when a site takes my login attempt, makes me to a ridiculous captcha picking buses 4 times, then tells me my password was wrong. Rage.

On 2/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, StDragon said:

As though the irritation of waiting in long lines (in person or drive-through) at the local pharmacy is any better.

If I need meds, they can just mail mine before my existing supply runs low.

If they don't get lost in the mail tho

When can I buy my own cry closet? Sorry, I mean mental health kiosk...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

25 minutes ago, Arika S said:

When can I buy my own cry closet? Sorry, I mean mental health kiosk...

They're called porta-potties. Because either you're desperate, or insane to sit on the seat.

Last 3 times I required medical treatment I could have made the diagnosis myself.  An internet doctor is a lot cheaper than a doctors visit. Why should I pay for an entire office full secretaries doing medical billing?

(just wait until AI hits medical billing folks)

We have to remember that Amazon is just a distributor. Amazon's forray into medical care is just to snipe away common medical conditions from all the overhead of doctor's office visits. Thats the plan. Hypochondriac's will love it .

The bad news is that this will little affect on prescription prices because again Amazon is just a distributor. They might be able to strong arm big pharma as an economy of scale into more discounts for medication, but that will be limited. Note that pretty much anything purchased on Amazon can be purchased cheaper directly.

A bigger concern id tele-doctors could lower the threshold of quality patient care. More off shoring, etc.

5 minutes ago, Assimov said:

America still holding onto "if you're poor we let you die and laugh at your 'misfortune' " as a public healthcare system i see.

No hospital will refuse you treatment, well keep you alive and laugh after treatment is done watching you try to pay it back lol 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 minutes ago, Assimov said:

America still holding onto "if you're poor we let you die and laugh at your 'misfortune' " as a public healthcare system i see.

I think the free health offices are called "urgent care" 

These help most "common" medical needs. 

Just now, Ripred said:

No hospital will refuse you treatment, well keep you alive and laugh after treatment is done watching you try to pay it back lol 

This too. All medical professionals are required by law to take an oath to give medical attention to anyone and everyone requesting it and needing it. 

On 2/23/2023 at 11:04 AM, Fasterthannothing said:

Imagine Amazon strong arming the medical industry. Prices would drop like a rock overnight.

Never could happen, amazon total revenue wouldn't even get big pharmaceutical on the phone, that's nothing more than play money to them

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Never could happen, amazon total revenue wouldn't even get big pharmaceutical on the phone, that's nothing more than play money to them

Amazon had nearly the same revenue(~470 billion $) as the entire pharmaceutical industry(~500 billion $) in the USA (analysis of 2021)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266282/annual-net-revenue-of-amazoncom/

https://www.zippia.com/advice/us-pharmaceutical-statistics/