Framework now offering 2TB SSD upgrades for the Steam Deck in their store

nhubbard

Summary

Framework is now offering a 2TB SSD upgrade for the Steam Deck in their store, in stock for immediate order, and they've confirmed with iFixit that the shielding they sell for replacement SSDs is fully compatible.

Quotes

We have the first batch of these available in the Marketplace today in the US and Canada, and are exploring stocking them for Europe and Australia as well. Unlike the 2280-sized M.2 SSDs that the Framework Laptop uses, the handheld Steam Deck relies on the physically smaller but less common 2230 format. As a result, it can be difficult to find legitimate sources for larger capacity drives like 2TB ones to load all of those games that you’re totally going to play someday. Since we order a huge number of Western Digital drives already, it’s relatively easy for us to add one more line item and stock 2TB SN740 2230 ones.

My thoughts

Didn't expect this to happen, but it's definitely awesome to see a company like Framework using their market connections to WD to support another community with similar repairability goals!

It's also apparently possible to use this SSD in the Surface Laptop series; Framework specifically links the guide to the Surface Laptop 3.

Interestingly, it looks like they might be planning more of these drops in the future: "We’re continuing to search for ways to help you with hard-to-find upgrades for other products, so let us know if there is anything we should focus on!"

Sources

On 2/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, TrigrH said:

for the low low price of $299 USD......

For 2TB, installed, in a device many wouldn't be comfortable messing with, it doesn't seem that horrible to me. There's a premium there, for sure though.

Edit: I somehow got it in my head it was an installed price.

35 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

That's pretty much what it cost though, no? They don't really get that much cheaper for a 2TB M.2 2230.

It's not a full size SSD. 2230s are tiny and not really in demand, thus making the price higher.

I'm looking up prices on Amazon.com and this was the cheapest I could find. From a brand I never heard of with the picture of a WD SN740. Very confidence inspiring.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.dec2c8acab694b4040991023357c1e80.png

But at least there's newegg, with third party sellers selling straight from Hong Kong to you for $27 cheaper than what Framework ask for. At least the chance of getting ripped off on Newegg are lower, right?

Spoiler

image.png.82d9eeb7f827e9b3e2e1e370a78122c8.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

That's pretty much what it cost though, no? They don't really get that much cheaper for a 2TB M.2 2230.

It's not a full size SSD. 2230s are tiny and not really in demand, thus making the price higher.

I'm looking up prices on Amazon.com and this was the cheapest I could find. From a brand I never heard of with the picture of a WD SN740. Very confidence inspiring.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.dec2c8acab694b4040991023357c1e80.png

But at least there's newegg, with third party sellers selling straight from Hong Kong to you for $27 cheaper than what Framework ask for. At least the chance of getting ripped off on Newegg are lower, right?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.82d9eeb7f827e9b3e2e1e370a78122c8.png

you can get the exact same drive for just over $200 from china..... 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004853577093.html

52 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

You just need to trust China

Edit: Also over 200$ spent on AliExpress most likely will end up with extra taxes and customs clearance when it arrives at your door step

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 2/11/2023 at 2:05 AM, suicidalfranco said:

You just need to trust China

Edit: Also over 200$ spent on AliExpress most likely will end up with extra taxes and customs clearance when it arrives at your door step

And so it's less than $100 for install. Again, paying a premium, but hardly seems outrageous to me.

Edit: Misunderstood

On 2/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, TrigrH said:

Still way less than what Apple charges for their RAM or Storage upgrade. At least you have option to buy SSD yourself and exchange it or you can pay for the SSD and work for somebody to do it in this case. You're not forced to spend that money if you don't want to.

12 hours ago, TrigrH said:

That's about what I'd expect to pay when you lose the warranty. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Considering iFixit is the "unofficially official" source for parts for the Steam Deck, I'm surprised they didn't jump on the opportunity themselves.

But overall, I'm stoked there's a reliable option now.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

And so it's less than $100 for install. Again, paying a premium, but hardly seems outrageous to me.

There is NO install service included, where are you even getting that from?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Considering iFixit is the "unofficially official" source for parts for the Steam Deck, I'm surprised they didn't jump on the opportunity themselves.

But overall, I'm stoked there's a reliable option now.

iFixit doesn't have a relationship with the SSD manufacturer, or they probably would have provided this.

Fortunately, Framework is ordering enough SSDs already from their manufacturer that they can just add another item. It's not for a Framework laptop but this is Framework saying, hey, you look like you could use a 2230 SSD... I got you.

Heck yeah, I've looked into this SSD Months ago and wanted it for my Steamdeck. So nice of them to carry it on their Store.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 2/11/2023 at 3:24 PM, Lurick said:

There is NO install service included, where are you even getting that from?

Ah, didn't read the actual blurb close enough. When I read the first sentence of the OP:

"Framework is now offering a 2TB SSD upgrade for the Steam Deck in their store"

that's just where my mind went. That would have been a pretty good value.

3 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Ah, didn't read the actual blurb close enough. When I read the first sentence of the OP:

"Framework is now offering a 2TB SSD upgrade for the Steam Deck in their store"

that's just where my mind went. That would have been a pretty good value.

Yah, if they offered install services $299 all included would be a steal 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Framework for the win. I’ve been after one of these from a reputable seller for my Flow X13 for months now. Hopefully they start shipping them to the Europe too.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station