AliExpress Wouldn't Lie... Right?

AlexTheGreatish
38 minutes ago, Iceman2511 said:

I was searching around on ali for more weird and cheap laptops and came across the same laptop, Here is the link to it, and it says for the pci e slot is used for a external gpu which is cool if you’re able to find a compatible external gpu for it, it’ll be a great machine for gaming if it does support a gpu and on the cheap, kind of.

The listing has been edited to to the correct information, 6 cores, , 1920x1200 screen. They didn't fix the ram in the image but did in the text table for the specs... It's sold out at Crelander... Maybe this shop realized the issues (thus the more accurate description) and MAYBE fixed the bios?

Absolutely considering taking the chance and buying this

Also... If anyone finds out where to get that external gpu dock....

I highly doubt if you purchased the laptop from this listing the boot screen would say crelander... maybe crelander just fudged up somewhere on the bios?

2 hours ago, Iceman2511 said:

I was searching around on ali for more weird and cheap laptops and came across the same laptop, Here is the link to it, and it says for the pci e slot is used for a external gpu which is cool if you’re able to find a compatible external gpu for it, it’ll be a great machine for gaming if it does support a gpu and on the cheap, kind of.

That listing has a couple of reviews reporting that the processors they got were a i7-10875H (8 core). One also mentions 3200MHz RAM, but their photos are too blurry for me to verify either rated or running speeds. If there are multiple versions of this laptop out there I wonder if one has a better BIOS.

2 hours ago, Unessential said:

The listing has been edited to to the correct information, 6 cores, , 1920x1200 screen. They didn't fix the ram in the image but did in the text table for the specs... It's sold out at Crelander... Maybe this shop realized the issues (thus the more accurate description) and MAYBE fixed the bios?

Absolutely considering taking the chance and buying this

Also... If anyone finds out where to get that external gpu dock....

I highly doubt if you purchased the laptop from this listing the boot screen would say crelander... maybe crelander just fudged up somewhere on the bios?

I 100% purchased one. I had one of the Walmart OP laptops and it gained a pretty good modding community. Kinda hoping enough people buy them to experiment that either someone fixes the BIOS or with some digging I plan on doing, find a compatible BIOS.

I find it hard to believe this would be a 100% new BIOS just for this cheap machine.

9 hours ago, emosun said:

why do people even use aliexpress for anything? it's like an AI generated interpretation of what a shopping website is.

when you go to a walmart and the kids pulled all the toys off the shelves and they're just laying in the isles everywhere.... aliexpress

I've had no choice for some niche items like reverse connectors for a particular part of my car to build an adapter harness, some particular LED bulbs (car again), and some generally very cheap crap where I can buy it there with less markup than I could locally even after shipping and I don't care if I wait a while for it. Some ehm *other* niche items as well are substantially cheaper direct from China than from anywhere else. I've never bought like computer parts or anything expensive.

I'm pretty sure you can re-assign keys in Windows. So...undealbroken.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

some particular LED bulbs (car again)

Sadly without the necessary Certification useless.

From AT. :x

I've built multiple systems from x99 Chinese salvage boards. Never had a problem. 

All the action figures sold there that I have purchased have been knock-offs (but I knew this ahead of time) but sturdy enough.

AE is an interesting place to shop, provided you are careful with reading between the lines about what you are actually getting.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 hours ago, Required said:

Sadly without the necessary Certification useless.

Not for main beams, just for marker lights, it's ok enough. Only real bulbs go in important lights, just wanted brighter side markers because gloss black cars tend to vanish at night when viewed from the side, like black ink into the sea at night.

20 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

The Crelander Dual Screen laptop looks like an absolutely incredible deal at $750... if it actually is what they claim.

Buy an ASUS 14” UX481 ZenBook Duo: https://geni.us/oYgx

Buy an Hp 13.5” Elite Dragonfly: https://geni.us/oAxxlpJ

Check out the Crelander Dual Screen Laptop: https://lmg.gg/uWUje

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I hope linus would check the bios if it is unlocked.

20 hours ago, emosun said:

why do people even use aliexpress for anything?

Spare parts. There is virtually no component in modern electronics that you can't find a spare part on AliExpress for. It's also an invaluable resource for the maker community that builds their own electronics. Often times you simply can not get these components elsewhere or if you can, they cost multiple times as much or can only be purchased in larger quantities.

Aside from that it can be great for low budget or just simply "retro" PC builds if your local used market sucks. Chinese X79 and X99 boards exist for a reason.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, silentdragon95 said:

Spare parts. There is virtually no component in modern electronics that you can't find a spare part on AliExpress for. It's also an invaluable resource for the maker community that builds their own electronics. Often times you simply can not get these components elsewhere or if you can, they cost multiple times as much or can only be purchased in larger quantities.

Aside from that it can be great for low budget or just simply "retro" PC builds if your local used market sucks. Chinese X79 and X99 boards exist for a reason.

You hit the nail right on the head. I've bought so much stuff on AliExpress that would be impossible to buy in my country, either because of price (buying on AliExpress costs a fraction of the price compared to local listings even with tax included) or because the things are so niche that no one is selling them here.

16 hours ago, Iceman2511 said:

1121A7DA-92C0-4EEF-9056-1C8D195B9AB6.jpeg

thats kind of sick. I wonder if there are any other laptops with this that are also not designed like a joke

Just found the same laptop on taobao which is around 779 USD (Pic 1), about the same as on Aliexpress.

However, I ask for a barebone system (the RAM and SSD it comes with are trash anyway) and the seller said its 3750 RMB (Pic 2) which is around 552 USD!

Pic 1.png

Pic 2.png

7 minutes ago, ezio.cheung said:

Just found the same laptop on taobao which is around 779 USD (Pic 1), about the same as on Aliexpress.

However, I ask for a barebone system (the RAM and SSD it comes with are trash anyway) and the seller said its 3750 RMB (Pic 2) which is around 552 USD!

Pic 1.png

Pic 2.png

also if possible ask him to send the good bios version which allow the overclocking of Ram. 

10 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

also if possible ask him to send the good bios version which allow the overclocking of Ram. 

I mean probably the seller don't know any technical aspect about the laptop, cause it is very common to a product be re-brand and re-sell across several seller and yet let alone asking about the BIOS. But it is possible they got several iterations which some of the later model would have fixed the BIOS issue.

Realistically speaking, the differences between a proper brand vs "taobao" brand laptop is the cheap price with questionable hardware and OS, but at lease as a whole will be functional.

Just now, ezio.cheung said:

Realistically speaking, the differences between a proper brand vs "taobao" brand laptop is the cheap price with questionable hardware and OS, but at lease as a whole will be functional.

You can reinstall windows, and even from a brand they always bloat their system so reinstalling when you recive the device is a good idea and for Bios  big companies also do this the  differences i see is the warranty and How close the device actually is to the advertisement. 

Why has no one really mentioned basic quality and longevity concerns about the hardware? Even with a major brand, we may have such concerns when it comes to budget laptops, and is why I've never gone for anything less than roughly $700 (not that it saved me from those bad Nvidia chips that killed my old $1100 laptop-tablet-PC convertible soon after warranty expired and got me a mere $50 from the class-action lawsuit payout).

Is that simply part of the bet of considering it worth the risk?

I REALLY want to go for this but I don't like that only the small screen is a touchscreen since my current laptop is a touchscreen one. Also, realistically, I should probably be considering a high performance desktop replacement laptop if possible.

Maybe I'll wait to see if a dual-full-screen laptop pops up on AE in the future. 😆

BTW, FYI, if you just search "dual screen laptop" on AE, you'll find another store selling this. It's been dropping in price, now at $500 - but they don't have even have any feedback ratings showing yet since they likely have less than 10, lol. I guess those are the stores you REALLY want to stay away from.

4 hours ago, Sp3ctre18 said:

Why has no one really mentioned basic quality and longevity concerns about the hardware? Even with a major brand, we may have such concerns when it comes to budget laptops, and is why I've never gone for anything less than roughly $700 (not that it saved me from those bad Nvidia chips that killed my old $1100 laptop-tablet-PC convertible soon after warranty expired and got me a mere $50 from the class-action lawsuit payout).

Is that simply part of the bet of considering it worth the risk?

I REALLY want to go for this but I don't like that only the small screen is a touchscreen since my current laptop is a touchscreen one. Also, realistically, I should probably be considering a high performance desktop replacement laptop if possible.

Maybe I'll wait to see if a dual-full-screen laptop pops up on AE in the future. 😆

BTW, FYI, if you just search "dual screen laptop" on AE, you'll find another store selling this. It's been dropping in price, now at $500 - but they don't have even have any feedback ratings showing yet since they likely have less than 10, lol. I guess those are the stores you REALLY want to stay away from.

I have to agree, there are countless of brand less / off-brand laptop and gadget on TB and AE and I would say if you're NOT planning to take any risk at all, just don't even consider. Conflicted specs, questionable hardware, no warranty, god knows what kind of Windows install it comes with, these are the major bad things to name a few and let alone about the BIOS / firmware or any underlaying issue. 

However, for a "novelty item" , for the dual screen and direct pcie connection (Oculink), I could only say it is a "better deal" than most others off-brand laptops. At least, for the limited experience that I know of.

Also, is it possible to ask for a barebone on AE? Cause I think it is a better option to just add your own memory and storage anyway.

I have one of these arriving Wednesday, fairly certain the boost can be fixed with software in OS. I had a similar issue with another Chinese laptop and throttlestop got it boosting great. 

will experiment and send screen shots of BIOs and see what I can get cooking. 

On 2/12/2023 at 1:36 PM, BluJ said:

I have one of these arriving Wednesday, fairly certain the boost can be fixed with software in OS. I had a similar issue with another Chinese laptop and throttlestop got it boosting great. 

will experiment and send screen shots of BIOs and see what I can get cooking. 

Nice, looking forward to your update on it.

Did you also get the eGPU/external pcie extension dock?

I would never use Aliexpress to buy actual PCs or computer parts for that matter. I use it to buy cheap crap, crap that I use for a bunch of electronics products.

Well... I like it more than Wish dot com. I watch those Austin videos and my god.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:07 AM, emosun said:

why do people even use aliexpress for anything? it's like an AI generated interpretation of what a shopping website is.

Well, some of the items are quite good actually. The problem is you really have to search. There are some reputable sellers that provide good quality product at very competitive price, just like this laptop, which is not bad for the price it is asking in my opinion.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:47 AM, Sp3ctre18 said:

Why has no one really mentioned basic quality and longevity concerns about the hardware? Even with a major brand, we may have such concerns when it comes to budget laptops,

Probably (for the western world at least) most change their laptop within 3 years of usage.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

My 6-yo laptop is starting to give me issues, and I'm actually thinking seriously about this.

The keyboard is an abomination. But I can at least remap the "delete" key back to right shift. I might not be able to remap the power key (it might be set up separately), but I can at least disable it in Windows so it won't turn the computer off. Having no dedicated function row, delete, etc. wouldn't be great. But the worst can be mitigated.

No doubt the RAM and SSD that ship with it are crap. But I'll order the minimum config anyway... it looks like it's quite expandable. Even the shitty BIOS might be smart enough to run ram at its rated speed. 

And I expect the BIOS will be hacked soon enough. This feels like One of Those Things that a whole bunch of ... tinkerers ... end up getting all at once. And I wouldn't think this no-name manufacturer who's selling through old stock using a primitive BIOS would go out of their way to make it hard to modify or reverse engineer the BIOS. They've got nothing to protect there ... if somebody thinks of something better, their old stock goes up in price.

So I'm betting the BIOS issues, like the processor that won't turbo, RAM speeds, etc., get ironed out. (And even if they don't, the machine will drastically outperform my current laptop.)

So what's left? The top screen is kinda crappy. Maybe that can be replaced, but probably not. And I'm guessing I won't care that much.

And ... well ... the second screen is just really cool. 

It's not a huge risk. It's sorely tempting.

Am I missing something important here? 

One question. On the official Crelander AliExpress store, they seem to have a few different base prices for the same machine, Some are just different configs, but if you look, there are different base prices for the same ram/ssd setup for what look like identical machines. Is there any difference?

... and one more note. I noticed this picture in one of the AliExpress ads:

rUNf5tdkWXQ-P8dJxEXN_NBsduSGagHZ8fOfC6CG4qWekWazwNssU3Ze8Grd9D52rrv5zbQaZgni3C-cAW8VPTj20uauTpoARTe2NNyhob8J1zco0-asJ6z5OYXCM1q8SIlUfVf8qRLeE-ke0zfi_SgGjfekbvDEsh00RtRssWkkZrYL29_Brc9gXh7BbECHQ904n5JasxA9dcab5LlMSv_CWsPSY-OBW19G02npKTXVXZW-d6se1bdwGTw82n5WQ-v4xZH2Oqbzg9BPXqW087M17EBdEYRnUAnA-kV9et2bpjT3wZMBgh7GhsCmXoL_khq2mtU_VYzehEt0BcbZXBleTJlg4q2PiuI2tPfF9mcesML9_JIC12XfmRzrQJUUoqjkIZEVEtwGmkag9cdARVAhPVyoE2hY0DQBvftzRTariAtuM-9Z6Ug8fpq40iGAbm5uiXPfGqMkmZM1exC1-oWSdHmqFfPkRfXKwULP5p_6Bg0AWihOtqctXa3TSQ22OvISWmeLeL9F_kP98BTKifEHTZvQDYAvOcM-LfSYI76cYlv2E1eu_6FQrx8ZecLv9AbJ_PJszKUvCGLVd4p2_rXuxFOipSr5GGN-a0WIn0PU9AsQqYIsuGA122_DSRhuZfSa1MEZySEuEL_vpMyZK2HjLA5X2SGuj067FZ43Uh2NxMGhWZkX9nQrh5jMS5pLH1VjWUbKa7UjQpwzwopxpCeSGTuTDkd647cKLnJnysj42AbWrP_gTehkXn0HgifwDWYPqmcshF836cBgPMEKhOpM0m8ygpPtGGlYZDHt571vRVLsBsb0HaEIGfzKwA2XZcdAY_rOd0v9tNq0xOZ7CAJPms2EahsRIfp85FyXs8yN5MszzAD_WwwGeiWoYjyLmeCX9521WVBkGrgHUF2GGILxxg9a2phqNrZuaG94vjVnZIMx6vwpKySHMVb0wReTsRvnsblJDsN8WPlmJ9kauM2yAq4oNrrRN4ck2upL_3M3xbd6p3WCLa3VeTpIH1aLu7SUqDgH=w418-h929-s-no?authuser=0 

It appears to show a much better version of the keyboard and touchpad. There's an added row of function keys above the numbers, and three buttons above the touchpad. That gives "delete" and "power" somewhere else to go and regular order is restored to the Eastern Front. 

For a while I was wondering whether there might be a more advanced version of the keyboard/trackpad module floating around.

After some reverse image searching, I'm pretty sure that's just the keyboard from the Asus dual-screen laptop. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: There's no chance that the manufacturer figured "in for a penny, in for a pound", and designed their keyboard and trackpad assembly to be hot-swappable for the Asus part, did they?

I mean ... that's what I'd do. Cut costs by offering a keyboard, and create a free upgrade path just by using the same screw mounts and pinout as the competition. This is why NeXT used ADB.

EDIT 2: I'm joyously overthinking this. But it occurs to me that the crappy keyboard is probably enough to keep prices down and tilt the market toward users that probably plan to remap it (i.e. nerdy tinkerer types). If that's who the remaining stock ends up with ... all the more reason to expect BIOS shennanigans.

On a related note ... is there a source for reasonably detailed specs? I'm curious to know how the two M.2 slots area keyed. Do they both support NVMe?