AliExpress Wouldn't Lie... Right?

AlexTheGreatish

Got one from geekbuying it seems to have a newer bios v0.13x64 date 03/06/2023 memory recon-iced as 2666, throttle is still disabled, is there any progress to cool the VRMs?  did reinstall windows 11 and everything seems alright only see no camera light  when i turn it on.

• 2 months later...

Hey, guys. For anyone that is still interested, i've been playing with the computer some more  . Modded and flashed a custom BIOS where i enabled a bunch of stuff including overclocking menus, turbo mode, memory profiles, etc. Turbo mode is now active, memory speed is set to 2666Mhz instead of the stock 2400Mhz, undervolting enabled, etc.   Still working on the VRM cooling solution, should be done this weekend, using a custom made copper spacer/heatsink and turning the whole back cover (small one) into a heatsink. Attached are a few pictures of some BIOS settings i activated aswell as the cpu and memory frequencies in Task Manager 

@t-rucker @BluJ

20231103_002837.thumb.jpg.8e884feada2829ee619cfb1142fc2fcc.jpg20231103_002853.thumb.jpg.24dc7e0cdb49d54701bba802939fcd2a.jpg20231103_002858.thumb.jpg.a91e251eb5618b04caf5fb7f3c3fde87.jpg20231103_002911.thumb.jpg.870bdd8abc5ba8231d05d1e353660ec1.jpg20231103_002928.thumb.jpg.1225a69b8bb105961e59534a8f7ccc8d.jpgCapturadepantalla2023-11-03002144.thumb.png.de6a405091b6c751cd40e207f7bf564c.pngCapturadepantalla2023-11-03002410.thumb.png.0d0e5ea8e3c7b9ea6367f91f330a3718.png

20231103_002832.jpg

Edited by michelhadid

• 2 weeks later...

@michelhadid  Yes!!! i am interested ive been trying for months to get a bios, can you please send a copy of the bios and how to flash it? Did you notice any battery life improvements? and is oculink still usable after the flash? if possible please add to my Laptop write up linked below or if you just link here in the forum and  ill find and update  the google doc.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y5t2hsPdKFcYYcgewttqzP7IZ0LQOGjlAqk4Q6ReCIA/edit   

Im also interested in  the vrm mod 😀

On 8/12/2023 at 4:45 AM, Dirk38 said:

Got one from geekbuying it seems to have a newer bios v0.13x64 date 03/06/2023 memory recon-iced as 2666, throttle is still disabled, is there any progress to cool the VRMs?  did reinstall windows 11 and everything seems alright only see no camera light  when i turn it on.

Sorry  No the throttle is due to no cooling on the vrms  a windows install will not help 

@Dirk38 @t-rucker of course, guys. First, you will need a CH341A BIOS Programmer as you CANT write directly from your PC, it will fail the flash and brick the laptop until BIOS is recovered (ask me how i know). You need to read the original BIOS (16MB file. W25Q128JVSx chip) then i can add the changes and you can flash it, you dont want to flash another laptop BIOS (specially @Dirk38 as you have a different version) read as it will change a hardware info data. BIOS chip is on the underside of the motherboard under a protecting film, BIOS dump takes around 2-3 minutes and flashing around 5 minutes. So far, i've enabled turbo mode, undervolted the CPU (-75mV offset), overclocked/unlocked RAM to 2666MHz and a few other small changes, VRM cooling mod is going well, couldnt get someone for the back cover/plate machining so i cut and made a small custom copper plate (u-shaped, ill upload pictures later) that connects the VRM to the CPU heatsink, it will pass throttlestop and UserBenchMark (i know...) tests without throttling altough if maintaining full load it does eventually heat up enough. But under normal circumstances  you see 4+ Ghz all the time. Tried Skyrim but VRM does throttle eventually after a few minutes (not continously, throttles then comes back up 3.8/4GHz, unlike stock setup/cooling). A ton snappier than before, way faster in everything, CPU temps are perfect at 70-75C maximum under load. Had a power outage that killed my motherboard though, ordered a new one and will keep testing, hopefully i can get the new copper plate machined and installed to get some more  testing and upload the results. If we can keep this thread going, ill be happy to help with the BIOS files and mod and tips on what can be enabled. Undervolting helped a ton with the VRMs, too.

Also, if you get the CH341 programmer, get the one with the clip adapter (like the picture attached, just search CH341A programmer on Amazon, theyre super cheap), it will clip directly to the BIOS chip for read/write and no need to desolder anything, way easier...

510JKm9+rcS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i just wanted to chime in.

I was looking to buy this laptop and found it was selling for cheaper by another company called "Molosuper" on AliExpress. The listing had the specs the same as i7-10750H. But for some reason when i received the laptop it has a i7-10870H, so i have 2 extra cores that what was listed wondering if anyone else got this model? They also accidently sent me a 512gb ssd despite ordering the 128gb model, mine is also running 2666mhz stock on the ram.. If anyone wants the model i got, here is the link i purchased it from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005279345771.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.63681802i2NjKq

side note, I reinstalled windows but i have a issue were i cant find some specific drivers because theres no offical product page. can someone direct me to were i can find these, or maybe someone can send me a copy of there drivers? Thank youscreenshot.png.09104b76b50fce0873a963b3de591777.png

• 1 month later...

Hello dear community,

many thanks for the great input.
Even though I only found the thread and the video after buying my Crelander X16 Clone, I can be satisfied with the purchase of the N-one Nbook fly for the price-performance ratio.

However, as many have already noticed, it is not suitable for normal users if they expect out-of-the-box performance of the stated specifications.

In my case, the notebook is equipped with an i7 10870H and although it was easy to install throttle stop (TS) and activate the turbo function, I really see a need for action and have already read out my BIOS (V1.08) twice with identical CRC with the help of @michelhadid suggestion.
I would like to take advantage of the offer that this BIOS can be reflashed with many open functions. * Did it by my own.

I have the feeling that the layout with the power supply (VRM) is rather designed for 28W continuous load. And in my case, with 2.2Ghz, that's not really a respectable continuous power, even if I have 2 cores more.
At my own risk, I raised the TDP using TS so that I was able to apply 56W for a short time - the VRM regulates quite quickly, so the total run was not on full Turbo speed (3,2Ghz).
Strangely enough, after assembling with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, I suddenly got 11.5s instead of 17s in the 120M benchmark from TS with boosts up to 3,0Ghz.

With the problem of the VRMs overheating, I thought about gluing a heat pipe over them, similar to your idea, and a vapor chamber over it to cool the coils as well. I will report back as soon as I have the parts on site. The only thing I still need to work out is the contact pressure.
The RAM was set to 2666Mhz by default. Originally only 1x16GB was installed. The SSD was also only a SATA with 1TB.
The second display really has 3840*1100 pixels, which makes scaling with Windows a little difficult.

Speaking of Windows, I noticed that the Windows license has no Microsoft Store despite correct registration. *fixed it with a reinstallation.
When the new BIOS is installed and an NVMe is installed, there will be a fresh Windows and I hope that all problems in this regard will be resolved.
Or is this just a problem with N-one?

BTW @Chino369, if you go to @t-rucker google docs, you will find a Link at the end of the document. Do they install properly?

If you have any question, i am happy to answer and help others too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

so i spend some time last weekend to analyze a bit while waiting for the heatpipes.

The vaporchamber was to wide (26mm) and its max 20mm available, so i ordered a flat heatpipe for the coils.

With the AMIBCP i can edit the visibile BIOS configurations. and i found that weird configuration:

image.thumb.png.36720a9364cdf36ec9c31cb6b5844061.png

On Throttlestop i saw, that the "EDP OTHER" was limiting a lot after enabling the turbo.
So i assume, that the max current with 80/20/4Amps is really not a lot and bring that limitation.

Furthermore i bought a FLIR camera and so now you can have a look with TS enabled to 56W how a Prime95 looks like in stock mode (no heatpipes @18°C roomtemperature) @4xSpeed. (link to YOUTUBE)

It took about 30s that the Turbo from 2,9GHz was limited to stock 2,2Ghz (the rise in temperature stops) and after a while the temps increases and power (low 30sW in the beginning and 45W at the end) again so that after 10min of Prime i had about 115°C on that one particular MOSFET.
I dont know if that one is the limiting factor, or there is a too small designed currentpath on the PCB.

I received the heatsinks and a EC360 Softthermalpad (0,5mm) last week and will add them. But now i am thinking about to put that thin heatsink on the back (BIOS chip side) to cool from the other side aswell.

And can someone can provide me a UEFI BIOS, how it should looks like in a normal laptop? My Alienware does not allow the AFUWIN.exe

Regarding the PCB current path, could you simple solder a jumper wire to add extra current capacity?

Possibly.
But i guess its easier to put a heatsink.

The MDU1514 is specified for 66,3A and Intel advice to have a design for 125A.

My guess: Even if two phases are activated at the same time i guess they wont handle the heat and thats maybe why they are limited to 80A

edit: The ones flipped by 180° are MDU1517 with 100A and thats the one which is getting hot (2nd from up / hinge sided)

Ah btw. If someone wants to buy the Oculink stuff:
The SFF 8611 + SFF 8612 are only the specified male (8611) and female (8612) Ports of that  connection, not the Bandwith.

At least you need one 8i or 80pin SFF 8611 end

And regarding what you are going to do a 1-2 8611 4i or 40pin for the other end, if you want to connect one or two devices via PCI-E 4x.

Or if you are going to have PCI-E 8x Bandwith, you need to buy a double endet SFF 8611 8i or 80 pin cable and a SFF 8612 8i or 80 pin or 8x to PCI-E 16X adaptor.

OK Guys, i did it.

image.thumb.png.0cb9defdbb7a331f62116bd801fe2350.png

I had nearly 5Ghz.

Just activated the Turbo Option in Bios. Could do it with the Image as a preset too.

I did not play a lot first time in BIOS, just the Turbo Max and the C-states are enabled.

Still the problem of a limitation of Power.

Haven't played with the backsided coolingsolution yet. But i can tell now, you can hear definitively the coils working. Cooling with that solution still needs some enhancements

Speaking of them. INTEL XTU works. Still no undervoltage.

If you have sth just go ahead.

edit: And yes, the picture shows perfectly the UHD/2 second screen.

I wish there would be a UHD one for the top aswell. Makes the mouse more intuitive.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, emosun said:

why do people even use aliexpress for anything? it's like an AI generated interpretation of what a shopping website is.

when you go to a walmart and the kids pulled all the toys off the shelves and they're just laying in the isles everywhere.... aliexpress

because everything you buy is already made from some random kids in china at a warehouse nearby an illegal breeding center so why not buy it for cheaper

On 2/5/2023 at 8:08 PM, kuro68k said:

If they could get the basics right I think there would be a market for a bare bones laptop that you install your own RAM and SSD in. I'd take that option if Lenovo had it.

Ya ever heard of Framework?

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Everytime i insert the NVMe Drive, i got the old BIOS, any idea?

Did the reflash two times today....

And the AFUWIN Flash failed because it only erases some blocks with the 12MB file i got from AFUWIN.

Didnt try the 16MB file from the CH341A tbh.

And the voltages are still locked.

With a short run of TS 120M Test i only can go to -75mV... when using the BIOS offset

But today the noises are gone. Maybe the Pad doesnt stick enough to the heatpipe / case under the 2nd Display

• 1 month later...

this guy on youtube figured out how to defeat  the  throttle  with heat sinks and a cooling pad for the laptop  around the 10.57 min mark  test around the 11.20 min mark  I've updated my google doc with the drivers information again.  i will be testing  a new graphic card with my dock and have found a usb c to barrel plug that i use with my laptop i will continue to work on the google doc for those who are interested  this is my daily driver and the laptop has held up after about a year of heavy use