Canadian team discovers power-draining flaw in most laptop and phone batteries

Westingham
8 hours ago, Senzelian said:

You charge for electricity the same way you do at home or the same way trains do it. We already have different railway companies sharing power grids. 

A vehicle like that though is not "charging" exactly the same way.  If it were to charge, you would need to have a battery inside the vehicle...at which point you effectively have a BEV already.

If the claim would be that you don't require a battery in it, then it's completely not the same as you lose the efficiency gained with energy recovery (which requires batteries or capacitors).

If they put a smaller battery in it, you will be cycling the battery a lot more and will need to replace it sooner.  Dumping enough energy into a battery pack from a semi requires a certain sized battery, otherwise you will end up either exhausting the energy somewhere else (losing efficiency) or if you are red-lining the battery you will then have to replace it far more frequently.

Also, BEV's have already shown the economics of themselves.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

A vehicle like that though is not "charging" exactly the same way.  If it were to charge, you would need to have a battery inside the vehicle...at which point you effectively have a BEV already.

If the claim would be that you don't require a battery in it, then it's completely not the same as you lose the efficiency gained with energy recovery (which requires batteries or capacitors).

If they put a smaller battery in it, you will be cycling the battery a lot more and will need to replace it sooner.  Dumping enough energy into a battery pack from a semi requires a certain sized battery, otherwise you will end up either exhausting the energy somewhere else (losing efficiency) or if you are red-lining the battery you will then have to replace it far more frequently.

I think the point was home electricity is charged based on how much you use, (with people with solar panels and the like being able to sell excess back generally). Not sure how trains do it, thats probably bought in bulk by train oporators or rail networks or whatever.

I thought you meant "charge" as in collecting money for the electricity and not as in charging a battery.

4 hours ago, CarlBar said:

First it varies hugely depending on where in europe your talking about, with it generally being much better the further west you go.

Still we are at 1/3 overall with only one direction to go to. I don't see how the local distribution would change the original claim in a relevant way.

4 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Second don't mistake a large amount of trucks around for mass long distance trucking.

Believe me (us), in Europe tracks are heavily used for long-distance trucking due to it being much cheaper than rail and the latter additionally being notoriously unreliable as they need to share the (totally overloaded) rail network with a lot of passenger trains.

This system would however already break down if we'd start paying all the drivers from Eastern Europe halfway decent wages and consequently enforce their trucks being in acceptable technical conditions.

Transport by truck is dirt cheap, which causes a full spectrum of serious problems - needlessly high CO2 emissions is only one of them.

To clarify, you might have missed something in @Senzelian's first post: Those trucks DO have energy recovery systems. They're just not dumping the energy into an onboard battery or capacitor. He said they were dumping the energy back into the grid.

Now, is that extra recovered energy useful in the grid? Dunno. If the grid is well designed, yes. Aside from that, you could engineer a solution in which a much smaller battery is installed into the vehicle for the sole purpose of regenerative braking energy recovery storage, to be used more like a traditional hybrid while the truck is off the electrical lines. But you'd need to do an analysis about the benefits vs added complexity and cost.

I like the idea personally - either as-is, or using a small onboard battery as well.

One thing you mentioned: The electrical lines being snagged? Not much of an issue, I'd expect. This technology is very well understood. It's used literally all over the world and has been for what... a century? We just installed a new Light Rail transit system in my region about 5 years ago, and it uses the exact same hanging wire power system. Trains are full electric and just use contact wires exactly like pictured by @Senzelian. Many many many Rail systems use this type of power system as well.

Will it work in every application? Maybe not, but it's worth potentially exploring for expansion into other regions beyond Germany.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

31 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I thought you meant "charge" as in collecting money for the electricity and not as in charging a battery.

oh, haha, yea my bad.  Sorry; I interpreted it as a different way but reading back yea that makes a lot more sense in what you were saying

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

you could engineer a solution in which a much smaller battery is installed into the vehicle for the sole purpose of regenerative braking energy recovery storage

I've been doing a little more research into this project and apparently there are also Scania trucks that do have a small battery for a range of up to 15km or so.

I think it entirely depends on how the truck manufacturer want their trucks to be used. The system itself doesn't have any limitation and allows for any use case.

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Maybe not, but it's worth potentially exploring for expansion into other regions beyond Germany.

Exactly! I can imagine this being super useful for very long distance driving. (upwards of 2000km)

Imagine driving from Spain to Norway on a single tank. 

Also in losely related news Norwegian team of experts recently discovered water is wet ~

On 2/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, jagdtigger said:

Our highway depicts a different picture...... (basically its two speed, either 130kmh+ in the inner lane, or 90kmh in the outer because its full of trucks)

That doesn't negate what the other poster said *at all*.

And what country is that? Austria? My country has no general speed limit!  (on Autobahn!) "Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger!" 😄

Germany is the only country in Europe to not have a general speed limit. 

(its also not limited to any "lanes" at all, in fact you're bound by law to drive on the right lane, the left lane is for overtaking purposes only!)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, Mark Kaine said:

That doesn't negate what the other poster said *at all*.

If you would think about why one lane  is  specifically 90kmh you would understand...... (our highway officially 130 kmh)