Why Is EVERYONE Buying This Phone?

Plouffe

Do you NEED a flagship phone these days? Apparently a TON of you are gravitating to more budget-friendly options like the Samsung A53 so we tried to figure out WHY.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G: https://lmg.gg/doZys

Buy a Google Pixel 6a: https://geni.us/3zhT6

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

lol, the reviews about bloatware are almost certainly correct.

I like how you guys quickly scrolled past the full page of a bunch of bloatware apps xD

There's a whole ton of apps (most are in folders on the top) that I bet almost no one is using (Samsung Free, Samsung TV+, Samsung Global Goals, etc.) as well as a microsoft folder that probably has the Office app, Linkdin & onedrive as well as some other stuff I forgot.

I don't think they still do this as of Android 13 but android 12 verisons of OneUI had 2 copies of google duo (one renamed to meet) that opened the EXACT SAME APP, one was just a shortcut that can't be removed because they are both system apps.....

Also, not all bloatware is a visible app, there's a TON of apps that are installed but not present in the app drawer.... there's at least 4 apps just related to AR Emoji/stickers and 3 system apps dedicated to just Facebook Meta....

not to mention Samsung's questionable features like game booster and game launcher/services whatever.

I honestly like OneUI once you remove all the crap (and there is a LOT of it, I've removed 100+ apps/packages) but the bloatware situation on Samsung phones is AWFUL.

You shouldn't need to pre-install all these apps like Netflix, Facebook, Spotify, etc. because the users of them will just download them when they set up the phone... especially when the only way to remove them is with root or ADB....
(Yes, I'm aware they are almost certainly installing these apps because of paid agreements but it's still ridiculous IMO)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

14 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

I like how you guys quickly scrolled past the full page of a bunch of bloatware apps xD

There's a whole ton of apps (most are in folders on the top) that I bet almost no one is using (Samsung Free, Samsung TV+, Samsung Global Goals, etc.) as well as a microsoft folder that probably has the Office app, Linkdin & onedrive as well as some other stuff I forgot.

I don't think they still do this as of Android 13 but android 12 verisons of OneUI had 2 copies of google duo (one renamed to meet) that opened the EXACT SAME APP, one was just a shortcut that can't be removed because they are both system apps.....

Also, not all bloatware is a visible app, there's a TON of apps that are installed but not present in the app drawer.... there's at least 4 apps just related to AR Emoji/stickers and 3 system apps dedicated to just Facebook Meta....

not to mention Samsung's questionable features like game booster and game launcher/services whatever.

I honestly like OneUI once you remove all the crap (and there is a LOT of it, I've removed 100+ apps/packages) but the bloatware situation on Samsung phones is AWFUL.

You shouldn't need to pre-install all these apps like Netflix, Facebook, Spotify, etc. because the users of them will just download them when they set up the phone... especially when the only way to remove them is with root or ADB....
(Yes, I'm aware they are almost certainly installing these apps because of paid agreements but it's still ridiculous IMO)

Hi

Please create manual for this.

I hate that bloatware on my S22

1 hour ago, Regisnox said:

Hi

Please create manual for this.

I hate that bloatware on my S22

I have this:

it's a little outdated but the process is the same, you can also look up debloat/bloatware lists for specific devices/OneUI versions but the process of setting up ADB is outlined in that post.

Staff Edit:

Reddit embed removed for URL only, it was too long and interfering with page formatting.

Edited by leadeater

why no dark mode?
Current:

Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Speaking of phones, my iPhone 11 has hit the three year mark recently. Feeling no need whatsoever to upgrade, device feels as snappy as ever. Though I’m definitely considering a battery replacement. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Was definitely considering this phone but the lack of eSIM support was a deal breaker for me. 

I'd love to see a review of a Sony phone. I absolutely LOVE my Sony Xperia 10 III. I bought it for ~$350

It actually has a headphone jack, and every other feature you'd want.

edit;

Oh, I will say though, the camera isn't great. REALLY REALLY bad auto focus. It refuses to focus correctly most of the time.

Edited by poochyena

I am aware many phones come with bloat installed, some you can't even remove, which really is irritating. I'd consider paying extra for a phone with a plain/stock Android on it.

Also, off topic, but I miss having a real honest-to-godz physical QWERTY keyboard.

Come back Blackberry, all is forgiven!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Mnky313 said:

I just want to point out that this isn't an exclusive case of bloatware, but rather it happened to everyone because of Google being extra stupid (even for them). They renamed/merged Duo to Meet, but secretly changed the icon and name in an update. They eventually (and rightly) realized that it confused literally everyone when they couldn't find Duo in their app list anymore. So Google kept the new name (Meet), but added a new shortcut with the old name (Duo) so people would not wonder where their app went. It would then open Meet, and give them a prompt basically saying "hey dummy, we changed the name of the app. Look for this name in your app drawer instead."

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

18 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

give them a prompt basically saying "hey dummy, we changed the name of the app. Look for this name in your app drawer instead."

weird, I never got a prompt. It just opened the same app...

but yeah, it's not really Samsung's fault for this specifically BUT IMO they are still partially to blame because the apps can't be uninstalled normally...

why no dark mode?
Current:

Custom Game Server:

how come theres no mention of google's powerful tensor chip on the 6a vs that exynos. Linus mentions the weak processor on the a53 3 times at least but nothing when it comes to google's

Do you NEED a flagship phone these days?

You do to help you with context when you whine about needing a living wage and not being able to afford rent 🙂

Seeing this video title made me wonder what phone this would be about, turns out it's the phone I have!

I got it in July of last year (oh jeez, that's 6 months ago already!) and it has served me very well.

With moderate use, I can get two days of battery out of it, but with my typical use, I usually get one day of battery. That 'typical use' does include a lot of screen on time + GPS + LTE, as I play Pokemon GO while walking.

The finger print reader can be a bit wonky at times, but usually it works just fine. Although this is my first phone with a fingerprint reader, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The average consumer does not give a <advertisement friendly words> about youtube reviewers.

That being said, Samsung has probably realized that the A52s was too good of a phone, so they had to downgrade 😂

Still a good phone, though.

23 minutes ago, powertoys said:

The average consumer does not give a <advertisement friendly words> about youtube reviewers.

However many "average" consumers like uncles and grandmas that don't know about tech, ask young people they know who do what YouTube reviewers.

LTT videos are watched by people who might not buy stuff, or have jobs and money to purchase things, but they influence purchases by advising others or asking mom/dad/etc for the cool new thing.

6 hours ago, Mnky313 said:

I agree I got a refurbed s10e and it had so much bloatware, that I chucked all the apps into a folder and don't use any of it.

somehow non of those apps have do notifications, did though change the messaging app to google's.

I use only google play.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkeyMen said:

Does anyone know the name of the rhythm game that they showed?

Looks like bangdream but not, I have no idea actually.

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Also, off topic, but I miss having a real honest-to-godz physical QWERTY keyboard.

Come back Blackberry, all is forgiven!

I know one of my IT technicians has a key 2

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I know one of my IT technicians has a key 2

I would have kept my KeyOne until the heat death of the universe, but the #*%$^^(ing cell phone provider would no longer support the 4g it provided.

*&^(&*%*&^ing #$%#ards

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

cell phone provider would no longer support the 4g it provided

What is your provider

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

on sony phone comment.

there a reason why the market base for them is getting smaller.

god awful support. oh and if there on firmeware bricks or breaks the phone. tough luck.(sony reply) not are problem!

other then the bloatware talk.

this is a overall solid phone.

good cases are cheap to buy/screen protectors to!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

38 minutes ago, sub68 said:

somehow non of those apps have do notifications

I've gotten notifications from some of them, I know Find My Phone sends notifications as well as a bunch of Google apps, especially Drive, I remember Drive liked to just bitch at me to use it xD.

41 minutes ago, sub68 said:

did though change the messaging app to google's.

I use only google play.

I use barely any Google apps, I have the play store & maps (just for the messaging thing in it)...

I mean I also don't use Samsung Messages.... QKSMS is lit and it's FOSS.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Custom Game Server:

3 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

I use barely any Google apps, I have the play store & maps (just for the messaging thing in it)...

I mean I also don't use Samsung Messages.... QKSMS is lit and it's FOSS.

Sadly I have to keep all the google apps due to school

4 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

especially Drive, I remember Drive liked to just bitch at me to use it xD.

surprisingly mine doesn't maybe I just stopped

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I am aware many phones come with bloat installed, some you can't even remove, which really is irritating

The ones that you cannot Uninstall in Samsung phones is 

* - You could disable it but not uninstall it

1.  Galaxy Store
  2.  Bixby*
  3. AR Zone
  4. My Galaxy *
  5. Samsung Pass
  6. Secure Folder
  7. Google*
  8. Chrome*
  9. Gmail*
  10. Maps*
  11. Meet (NEW original is uninstallable)*
  12. One Drive*
  13. Playstore*
  14. Youtube*
  15. Netflix*
  16. System apps (My files,Phone, Messages etc )
  17. Game launcher*
  18. Modes and Routines (Bixby Routines)
  19. Phone Link (Embedded in the settings app but iam still counting it)

All of this was in Samsung Galaxy S20FE running OneUI5.0 (Android 13). The majority is google and Samsung stuff.  compared to the old vivo phone i had its a lot less and doesnt show ads when i install a app or do anything. 

42 minutes ago, UndefinedException said:

Pentile layout uses RGBG subpixels, so you can't just calculate PPI like that, you have to time it with 0.8165, so in fact it was 405ppi * 0.8165 = 330ppi

How did you arrive at that number? Every pixel maintains the green subpixel and gets either a red or a blue subpixel, so I'm (or I was, at least) pretty sure the right way is multiplying ppi by 1 / √2.

In fact, this is exactly what Apple did. LCD iPhones (excluding the Plus variants from iPhones 6, 6s, 7, 8) are standardized at ~326 ppi and OLED iPhones at ~458 ppi. If you do 458 * (1 / √2) you get ~324, so the red/blue subpixel is still roughly the same as the LCD iPhones.

This is the Galaxy A53 screen at a microscope, courtesy of notebookcheck, and you can clearly see the subpixel geometry.

subpixel.png

My personal take on this: I can't tell a difference from 1080p (RGB) LCD. Resolution is too high and screen size is too low for me to notice, so I'll gladly take the OLED benefits instead of more resolution. Now I can definitely notice this on a 720p OLED, because it makes text look horrible.