Stephen Hawking Says A.I. Could Be Our 'Worst Mistake In History'

minimalist

while being constantly sued by apple.

definitely half life 3 confirmed

Then apple sues samsung for having 3 in note 3 

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Then apple sues samsung for having 3 in note 3 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147812-a-hrefhttpwwwcheapmichaelkorsbags2014commichael-kors-outleta/

Half life 3 confirmed, again.

Half life 3.3?

GabeN steps up, stomps on apple.

HL3 masterrace

it will never end

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

The amount of off-topic posts are too high... I know a little off-topic doesn't do harm, but I think is too much now, I really wanted to know more opinions on the actual topic. :(

I don't think he's limiting his comments to only that. I think there are also scenarios we haven't even imagined. Currently, we aren't exactly a species that likes to take our time with things and think them through. It's more than possible that something could happen that we never even imagined. In that lies some of the danger.

It's not all end of the world stuff but I think it's just important to raise awareness and make sure decisions are thought through. For once we need to think about the long term and not the short term, which the current generation running things does so horribly.

Agree, It's more deep than that, most of the problems we face today as a society are part of a chain of bad choices. We like to think that we're past that, today we're just as bad managing resources as a couple of centuries back. 21st century but nothing has changed... we are definitely not prepare as a specie.

The amount of off-topic posts are too high... I know a little off-topic doesn't do harm, but I think is too much now, I really wanted to know more opinions on the actual topic. :(

Agree, It's more deep than that, most of the problems we face today as a society are part of a chain of bad choices. We like to think that we're past that, today we're just as bad managing resources as a couple of centuries back. 21st century but nothing has changed... we are definitely not prepare as a specie.

i did actually post relevant opinion.

sorry for the off topic though. :P

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

skynet by google. 

Wait a minute,

silver starts with s

skynet also starts with s

silver has 6 letters and 2 syllables

skynet also has 6 letters and 2 syllables 

Android silver must be skynet in disguise. lul :P

half life 62 confirmed

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I didn't want to be the one to comment on how off track the thread has become so thanks.

I think what we all need to remember is that we're human, so we're deeply flawed. We make decisions on emotion way too often. We're emotional. But, far too often we think, "we're human", so "we're right". Big mistake.

Just think about the nuclear bomb. I'm pretty sure we all wish we could take that back. We, as humans, make mistakes. Addressing that when developing something like A.I. is crucial. It's nonsense to think that A.I. couldn't be our next nuclear bomb. But, learning from the past and taking it seriously could prevent it.

It's not the end of the world or time to freak out. This is the proper thought process to engage in when inventing things or adopting something revolutionary. We need more of that. No more short term bullshit. Think about the long term with everything and the impact it will have and could have.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I didn't want to be the one to comment on how off track the thread has become so thanks.

I think what we all need to remember is that we're human, so we're deeply flawed. We make decisions on emotion way too often. We're emotional. But, far too often we think, "we're human", so "we're right". Big mistake.

Just think about the nuclear bomb. I'm pretty sure we all wish we could take that back. We, as humans, make mistakes. Addressing that when developing something like A.I. is crucial. It's nonsense to think that A.I. couldn't be our next nuclear bomb. But, learning from the past and taking it seriously could prevent it.

It's not the end of the world or time to freak out. This is the proper thought process to engage in when inventing things or adopting something revolutionary. We need more of that. No more short term bullshit. Think about the long term with everything and the impact it will have and could have.

i agree, not for another maybe 5 years or so would AI evolve to the point of being threatening. However, with everything being digitized, it may happen in an instant.

Complete blitzkrieg i'd say. heh. Would we see it coming? Over-reliance and over confidence

half life 62 confirmed

6/2 = 3

half life 3

half iife 3

half life 3 confirmed

couldn't help it. staph really.

Riddle me this, how do will can AI survive an EMP, yes machine, go fuck yourself, you fuck with me, you aint getting no AA batteries up your ass.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147812-a-hrefhttpwwwcheapmichaelkorsbags2014commichael-kors-outleta/

Half life 3 confirmed, again.

Half life 3.3?

GabeN steps up, stomps on apple.

HL3 masterrace

it will never end

half life 2 episode 3 with 3 at the end credits!!!

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Riddle me this, how do will can AI survive an EMP, yes machine, go fuck yourself, you fuck with me, you aint getting no AA batteries up your ass.

AI took control of your defense systems before you could react? Plus you can't really emp the whole world.

Also, emp shielding.

basically he was telling us AI and looking for aliens is bad since day one 1

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It is a known fact that the brain, just like muscle, will grow weak and dysfunctional if not used.   If we as a race develop computers to think for us, then the collective intelligence could continue to drop until a point where we are reliant on computers as much as we are reliant on our own intellect.   That's a scary thought, think Wall E with intelligence more than physical fitness. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It is a known fact that the brain, just like muscle, will grow weak and dysfunctional if not used.   If we as a race develop computers to think for us, then the collective intelligence could continue to drop until a point where we are reliant on computers as much as we are reliant on our own intellect.   That's a scary thought, think Wall E with intelligence more than physical fitness. 

in wall e they are pretty limited in intelligence too. e.g the captain searching for definitions of words  :P not exactly degradation of the brain, simply not needing to learn stuff. computers can do it better and faster

AI took control of your defense systems before you could react? Plus you can't really emp the whole world.

Also, emp shielding.

no you cant give me that bullshit, its not possible to protect against major overvolting.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

no you cant give me that bullshit, its not possible to protect against major overvolting.

umm, emp shielding is a thing? not bulletproof but it works.

to my knowledge,

It relies on the faraday cage effect to shield electronics.

it'd be difficult to shield large components but small electronics/parts are doable.

also, isn't emp concentrated radio waves?

umm, emp shielding is a thing? not bulletproof but it works.

to my knowledge,

It relies on the faraday cage effect to shield electronics.

it'd be difficult to shield large components but small electronics/parts are doable.

also, isn't emp concentrated radio waves?

also water

Listen if you care.

Is it me or does this kinda make you think about portal where GladOS went rogue and killed everybody?

I really think that we should be careful with advanced AI's that "may" run our world in the not so distant future, everything has got flaws en if we or whoever is in charge gives full privileges to "skynet", it can get out of control. Who knows what exactly will happen after its getting out of hand, but it is for sure not good for us. So I genuinely fear this scenario  :unsure:

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I really think that we should be careful with advanced AI's that "may" run our world in the not so distant future, everything has got flaws en if we or whoever is in charge gives full privileges to "skynet", it can get out of control. Who knows what exactly will happen after its getting out of hand, but it is for sure not good for us. So I genuinely fear this scenario  :unsure:

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

The problem with intelligent computers might be that they won't accept humans as their masters anymore. As soon as a computer thinks, he'll challenge his subordination, something like "I can think for myself, why should I allow them to shut me down whenever they want." 

I can see a possible correlation between this and slavery. Maybe we could implement Asimov's laws but that didn't turn out well either.

144Hz goodness

A.I. will eventually get smarter than us and we'll let it do the thinking for us instead of figuring out how & get smarter by doing so. In a simple way you could compare it to a calculator. We use it to make math easier so we dont have to do the thinking ourselves

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Half life 3 confirmed

I was waiting for someone to post this.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Just commenting here again, because I was expecting someone to say this but nobody did so here I am:

Why would you, personally, develop and use an AI for? I mean what are your objectives with it? Do your homework? Make your coffee? Get the trash outside? Letting a machine take control of your life, even if it/he/she doesn't really attack or force you, just doing your jobs for you, take away your humanity, our humanity. If we can't do a simple task, is our species the smartest yet? You see, it's not just about a situation where the machines enslave us or kill us, that could happen maybe. But we should be careful with our choices because they will change every next generation. Humans won't be as productive, as active as before. We can completely screw society if we change the core functions of it, if we take away our personal ways of living and doing things and making decisons...

Maybe this is not really about a catastrophic event, but a slow, cruel, self destruction event, commanded by our own. And AI is just one of the few things the future has for us. Genetic modification, cybernetics, Virtual Reality (yes, really), quantum computing and just sooo many other things. That's why I said, I'm not sure our hope will still be worth it, we as humans are not ready for the next big step. I'm the only one I know who really cares about this stuff, and I'm not THAT far in terms of development of the US. I live in a "medium size" city in Brazil and I can tell that people can't talk openly about these stuff because they don't know much and don't care much. They think in 30 years from now their lives will be the same and all is going to be fine, while we discuss this here. Now imagine in very, very poor countries. How would they feel about our future? We need to think of HUMANS before thinking about making lives easier for the ones who can pay, with the use of advanced tech.

That's only my opinion guys...

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

@Andrevcn people want ai for the simplest reason, offloading things we may deem unimportant. Doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing it. But sometimes time can be better spent doing other things.

It encourages a lazy culture/mentality but if you think about it its a logical step. I mean time is a limiting factor. Some may not spend it as well as others. E.g some dude who stays home all day and isn't productive vs a scientist researching advanced science/ medicine. The scientist can make use of the ai better and makes more sense for him.

My 2 cents on this

@Andrevcn people want ai for the simplest reason, offloading things we may deem unimportant. Doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing it. But sometimes time can be better spent doing other things.

It encourages a lazy culture/mentality but if you think about it its a logical step. I mean time is a limiting factor. Some may not spend it as well as others. E.g some dude who stays home all day and isn't productive vs a scientist researching advanced science/ medicine. The scientist can make use of the ai better and makes more sense for him.

My 2 cents on this

Hmm...I think we are not on the same page, I kinda took a step further (I mean, more on the future).

But you do have a point, yes.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //