Does Linus have a condition? (serious)

Real_Smoky

I really don't mean this in a negative or mean way, just genuinely curious. 

I LOVE LTT videos, I am an avid follower of all their channels, and in the last 3 years, watched pretty much everything they released since the GTX 960 era up until today, and I learned so much about PCs that now I am able to teach others. And all of that is, first and foremost, thanks to Linus.

But what is wrong with him? Is it a condition?

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS!

I am a clumsy person, I don't know how to ride a bike, I drop tiny screws and occasionally I drop my phone, but this guy drops CPUs, PC cases, laptops and glass panels.

Well no. Hes handled so many tech objects in his hands for many years so I'd expect on just pure odds to drop a few things. Plus being a youtuber and him dropping things being a meme for a long time gives a much higher chance of getting it on camera.

I for example drop a lot of things at work if you look at it in a longer timespan. But I don't think I have a condition!

Also thanks I'm gonna watch that video in its entirety.

Also to add after watching the video: he also might be paying too much attention to the camera and/or how hes presenting what hes holding that his spacial awareness is most likely lowered. And some shots feel staged tbh...

"Funny shouty tech tips man drops stuff" is just part of the Linus Cinematic Universe lore.

IIRC he's talked about ADHD before on WAN Show, and it's easy to slip up and make mistakes if you're paying more attention to the camera or teleprompter than the task you're filming.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Some people are just born klutzes. I’ve known a few people like this. Probably something to do with ADHD. Not my business though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

"Funny shouty tech tips man drops stuff" is just part of the Linus Cinematic Universe lore.

IIRC he's talked about ADHD before on WAN Show, and it's easy to slip up and make mistakes if you're paying more attention to the camera or teleprompter than the task you're filming.

This is correct, he has ADHD. He talked about it on WANShow.

It could certainly explain a few things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I think ADHD is common with people on YouTube. Probably to do with hyper focus. Call me Kris said she has it too. So does Jay from Jayz2Cents. 

He has this condition commonly known as butterfingers. 

He is really embarrassed and hates going to candy stores because it reminds him of his condition. 

He talked about it at length in wan show about how it bothers him deeply on an emotional level. 

Every celebrity has a soft spot and unfortunately this is @LinusTech's kryptonite. 

he goes to therapy for it but it's thankful that his staff doesn't bring it up because of the trauma it caused him. 

he is really such an advocate for buying used hardware because of the repressed memories of his parents buying him new toys when he was young and him dropping them. These toys would break and not be covered by the warranty so his parents wouldn't buy him new toys anymore. 

this is why he has to save his money and then when he bought new toys and dropped them and broke them he didn't have much money anymore so he had to learn to buy used. 

this is what got him into computers because the computer stayed in one spot unless you used a laptop which is why he doesn't use laptops. You carry them around and he dropped his laptops. 

@AlexTheGreatish

@AlexGoesHighhad to buy a locking laptop cabinet to keep Linus from getting into the laptops and dropping them all because it was costing the company tons of money having to buy replacement laptops when they had to do benchmarks because Linus kept having them slip through his fingers. 

this leads us to the real reason Linus interested in framework and cares so much for easy repairability. 

Linus really likes laptops because you can carry them around and play with them more than just having them sit there. 

Linus wants to have a laptop and have it work without spending so much money on new ones all the time. It's because he kept dropping them. 

With this newfound technology like the place @GabenJris from it really opened Linus' eyes to the reality that not everything has to slip through his fingers because they're covered in butter. 

With the ability to secure his system with Linux, Linus was able to cope with his condition and overcome this trauma. 

that's why Linus doesn't write videos anymore. He goes @Jamesto write videos because the pens would slip through his fingers every time he went to write a script. 

In the video where Linus builds a PC with his sister, we learn about how Linus was a frustrated individual and often turned to pyrotechnics. This frustration was released as fireworks were released from his fingers because dropping fireworks was an outlet where something slipping from his fingers was safe and the right thing to do. 

additionally it was a challenge to God in saying "well if you're going to make me in your image to have butterfingers well then I'm going to see how you like it if I don't have any fingers which would make me drop things just as much!"

but God knew this would come and thusly Linus was cursed with the butterfinger disease to drop things so he wouldn't lose his fingers...

so yes... Linus has a condition but it's deeply emotional and hurtful for him, so out of respect for his mental condition, we don't discuss it so it doesn't hurt him anymore than it already does. 

#popcorn-our-fingers-so-we-get-the-butter

He is rich. Rich people can buy anything broken so no need to take care 😛

On 12/26/2022 at 6:59 AM, Maddog66 said:

I think ADHD is common with people on YouTube. Probably to do with hyper focus. Call me Kris said she has it too. So does Jay from Jayz2Cents. 

ADHD is sketchy to begin with dude. It’s basically just an excuse and is basically just within normal behaviour 

I always thought he just had Dropitis.

I mean, he's a person... He's admitted, in the past, at having mental health problems, too, which I very much can understand. Overall, he seems to be pretty well adjusted, being recognizable, as in a YouTuber, can have a negative impact, especially for people that aren't prepared for it.

I seriously think that the labs folks should design a 'no drop Linus sized glove'. But, then again, we'll miss out on so many funny sonsorships from DBrand, and memes...

In seriousness, I would consider Linus to have 'functional ADHD', which is where someone can go off on a tangent, then return to the original topic. Non-functional ADHD is where they go off on a tangent, and never come back. I would say that Linus suggested on the WAN show that he attributes a lot of his success to this, and I would agree. More power to him, keep making awesome and informative videos. And make sure Anthony gets some screen time on occasion. 😄

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

what you see in the video is probably one out of like 10 takes, there are good odds of him dropping something in the rush... and at this point he plays it up for the meme.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a certain level of not paying attention, not being aware of your surroundings and carelessness. Lots of things can contribute to this.

My girlfriend has this a lot, and I see this all the time:

- She drops her phone constantly

- Smashes into things, like in stores with a car, or vacuum cleaner

- Constantly missing things happening around her

- When she's driving she takes way longer at like intersections because she doesn't register things quick enough (she's not a bad driver, she really just needs more time to assess if it's safe to go)

- And whenever certain things take too long, she uses force or improper tools. Like she refuses to learn what bits to use for screws, but also she can just straight up destroy stuff because she didn't take the time to grab a knife to open something up.

- Keeps burning her hands on the oven because instead of grabbing a towel to slide out the rack, she just goes in there

So much of it is simply not thinking things through beforehand, taking the 'easy' route, when it generally ends up costing her more time etc. the amount of stuff she has damages by simply not thinking, is absolutely stunning. This is not a case of not knowing, she knows, she also doesn't want to burn her hands or whatever, but she gets impulsive and acts far too quickly.

Now it may sound that this is all bad, and well these are the bad parts, but as someone who is the opposite, I see the upsides of the way she works. The reason why she rushes things, is because she wants thing done asap, I on the other hand overthink things, take my time etc. We work in the same field, where she struggles, I excel, but on the other hand where I struggle, she goes nuts. All those things that I find boring, the things that need to be done, the filling in of papers, arranging stuff etc, I keep putting them off. Not her though.

So I learned to accept that she damages stuff at times, because there are a lot of positives as well.

Kinda bold to assume someone has condition based on what you see from videos. Like noted, especially at this point you are seeing curated look of footage they have. FP Exclusives have anything from 30mins to 4 hours extras showing the boring stuff that we don't see in edited videos. They keep drops and other fails in for comedic value. Its his trademark, something people expect. So why edit it out? Other from the crew drop things too. I'm about month behind with videos, but just watch Tynan's Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade video with Alex. Alex drops SSD and they all laugh about it noting "Linus is not even here". Its just joke of common human actions brought forward.

Now on the other side, me with actual medical conditions (yes, several), drop something couple times a week. Latest today while shaving. And no, none of my conditions have to do with being clumsy either. I just don't post video about times I drop things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Kinda bold to assume someone has condition based on what you see from videos. Like noted, especially at this point you are seeing curated look of footage they have. FP Exclusives have anything from 30mins to 4 hours extras showing the boring stuff that we don't see in edited videos. They keep drops and other fails in for comedic value. Its his trademark, something people expect. So why edit it out? Other from the crew drop things too. I'm about month behind with videos, but just watch Tynan's Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade video with Alex. Alex drops SSD and they all laugh about it noting "Linus is not even here". Its just joke of common human actions brought forward.

Now on the other side, me with actual medical conditions (yes, several), drop something couple times a week. Latest today while shaving. And no, none of my conditions have to do with being clumsy either. I just don't post video about times I drop things.

What an odd reply.  

51 minutes ago, Fluph said:

What an odd reply.  

Sorry? Yours isn't? Maybe you want to explain or argument better? Or just don't post next time...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/26/2022 at 1:59 AM, Maddog66 said:

What?

ADHD is the polar opposite of “focus”. It’s literally in the name… ATTENTION DEFICIT hyperactivity disorder.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, Imbadatnames said:

ADHD is sketchy to begin with dude. It’s basically just an excuse and is basically just within normal behaviour 

Stupid take. You could apply this flawed logic to any mental condition. Viewing the cognitive struggles of others as “excuses” is also really… weird. Kind of exudes insecurity.

Was it disproportionately diagnosed in the 90s? Sure, the scientific community agrees. Wide scale medical conspiracy? Highly unlikely.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 hours ago, Roswell said:

Stupid take. You could apply this flawed logic to any mental condition. Viewing the cognitive struggles of others as “excuses” is also really… weird. Kind of exudes insecurity.

Was it disproportionately diagnosed in the 90s? Sure, the scientific community agrees. Wide scale medical conspiracy? Highly unlikely.

Every generation has its medical "trash can" of psychological diagnosis. In the 90s and early 2000s it was ADD/ADHD/...

Currently pretty much anything unexplained is diagnosed as anxiety. They've also started listing every weird pain complaint they can't explain immediately as chronic pain. For example, they tried to get me on antidepressants after a bad joint injury that was hurting severely for months, at no point had anyone actually tried to treat the cause of said pain or even to properly diagnose it, they were playing a game of medical hot potato with my sanity in the balance. (Even opiates had trouble taking away the pain.)

2 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Currently pretty much anything unexplained is diagnosed as anxiety.

Anxiety is a base level state of mind. Literally everyone on the planet experiences it. The phenomena is easily identifiable and thoroughly defined. There's no controversy or confusion over what the word anxiety means. On the other hand, an anxiety disorder is an issue of experiencing the aforementioned state of anxiety when your average human wouldn't, to varying levels of intensity.

Someone having a full blown adrenaline dump while looking at a box of cereal in the grocery store for no apparent reason?  Hearing a neighbor slam a door and suddenly you start squirming in bed, sweating and unable to sleep with irrational fears from your childhood? Walking into a crowded area causing you to feel faint and experience palpitations? All of these are varying forms of anxiety/panic disorders.

It's a real thing.

They've also started listing every weird pain complaint they can't explain immediately as chronic pain.

I'm listening...

a bad joint injury that was hurting severely for months

You literally just gave a textbook example of "chronic pain". 

See the definition for the word "chronic" here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chronic

at no point had anyone actually tried to treat the cause of said pain or even to properly diagnose it, they were playing a game of medical hot potato with my sanity in the balance.

Sounds like you had an issue with the quality of medical care. Not sure what that has to do with defined medical terms.

Probably some mild anal glycauma.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I've seen some wild theories here but as someone that has personally dropped things in LTT videos the answer is much simpler - holding things up for camera is really hard.  To make sure the camera can see all of something it normally requires holding it by only the tips of your fingers facing away from you.  At the same time you have to be looking at the camera, probably doing some movements to stop things from becoming stale, and if something is stationary on the table it has to be propped up to look good on camera - add in doing 7+ videos a week and you have the recipe for a lot of drops.

4 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I've seen some wild theories here but as someone that has personally dropped things in LTT videos the answer is much simpler - holding things up for camera is really hard.  To make sure the camera can see all of something it normally requires holding it by only the tips of your fingers facing away from you.  At the same time you have to be looking at the camera, probably doing some movements to stop things from becoming stale, and if something is stationary on the table it has to be propped up to look good on camera - add in doing 7+ videos a week and you have the recipe for a lot of drops.

You can try and deny the fact that you gave Linus the wrong key for the laptop cabinet all you want, but we know you did it to save Linus media group from bankruptcy. 

The cat is out of the bag. 

3 hours ago, Roswell said:

You literally just gave a textbook example of "chronic pain". 

Please don't dictionary your way around medical terminology, chronic pain is caused by inflamed nerves or dysfunction in the nerves or brain. An untreated joint dislocation is not chronic pain but acute pain because of an untreated injury that requires medical imaging and a surgical intervention. Unsurprisingly, after treatment it immediately disappeared without ever taking medication for chronic pain, making it quite obvious that it was acute pain. Which is to say, they very quickly resort to certain diagnosis which are such a broad category, and the type of anxiety you're talking about is very different from anxiety disorders.

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Are you guys ever planning to review a Keysight FieldFox? I've never seen anyone brave enough to test if the claims of it being rugged are true. 😄 

1 hour ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

chronic pain is caused by inflamed nerves or dysfunction in the nerves or brain.

Incorrect.

Chronic pain is quite literally what it says, pain that is chronic: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/chronic-pain-in-depth

Your nerves don’t need to be inflamed or dysfunctional for you to experience chronic pain, lol.

25 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Incorrect.

Chronic pain is quite literally what it says, pain that is chronic: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/chronic-pain-in-depth

Your nerves don’t need to be inflamed or dysfunctional for you to experience chronic pain, lol.

Way to quote an article aimed at laypeople, it doesn't even differentiate between the distinct types of chronic pain. 😂