His Money Management Skills Are VERY Questionable

CPotter

Can you use Radeon GPUs in Intel extreme tech upgrade, also what will happen with Nvidia and ARC?

23 hours ago, CPotter said:

Linus pillow mode.

Not 2TB beacuse 2TB is 2048GBimage.thumb.png.6c67a55a82f4f862079637afa927b386.png

1 minute ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Not 2TB beacuse 2TB is 2048GBimage.thumb.png.6c67a55a82f4f862079637afa927b386.png

Not like you get the full 2TB anyway...

23 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Not like you get the full 2TB anyway...

Well if we see it that way the things change.

23 hours ago, CPotter said:

Colton got fired again. 😂

11 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

2000gb is 2 tb

18 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Can you use Radeon GPUs in Intel extreme tech upgrade, also what will happen with Nvidia and ARC?

With intel upgrades they have been waiting for the parts so i dont think we will be seeing radeon.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

2000gb is 2 tb

With intel upgrades they have been waiting for the parts so i dont think we will be seeing radeon.

Ok. I always have imagined that Radeon was banned from that series or however the IETU is called.

Edited by LinusFanNumber 14.8M
coma

There seems too be a Evangelion Z690 motherboard but uh..
That's at a 650 - 1000 usd think he'll do fine with the board he has anyway for the next 3 - 5 years upgrading the gpu, storage over time I'd imagine.

By not knowing what Evangelion is Linus just enraged the entire anime community 

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

I believe there's technically no ban for Radeon GPUs but they've yet to be selected. I think the only hard rule is Intel CPU.

Ok but I think Intel would eventually ban other GPUs as ARC is getting stronger.

1 hour ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Ok but I think Intel would eventually ban other GPUs as ARC is getting stronger.

This video was probably filmed WAY before ARC released

If your PC so not have drivers for WiFi or Ethernet, plug your smartphone via USB, and choose USB tethering, so your PC will have internet to download the said drivers

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

This video was probably filmed WAY before ARC released

Well we can confirm its after the GPU market crash beacuse when they talk about the prices Linus mentions it was time ago and there is no snow outside so I think this video was filmed between 3 to 4 months prior ARC was launched.

On The latest video of ITU, By the way AMAZING INTRO~!, I noticed something peculiar.

The timestamp of The "Calling Colton", I believe it is Jake, not Colton that answered. Because Jake as an distinctive scoff, tone. Colton would be more wild, exagerrated. Plus I've been watching for years, I know Jakes voice.
Why the speculation? idk but I still find it ABOSULTLY hilarious. I watched this video more times then another video.

AMAZING VIDEO,  Love the relax, Don't give a beaver, of Geoff

Kedos.  👏

we demand a jake and linus pillow!!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

15 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Not 2TB beacuse 2TB is 2048GB

Well, it depends on who's counting, manufacturers however say that 2000GB = 2TB, hence why we have TiB which is 2048GiB [GiB because GB can again be 1000MB depending on who's counting again]

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

is there a reason why they could not use the cables from the 650w PSU instead of red Cables from 1200w one .

its not like they usually are that incompatible.

Using the ASUS power supply was the right choice xD

Hopefully Geoff gets some custom purple and green cables to replace those red cables then the build will be looking mint.

29 minutes ago, JEskandari said:

is there a reason why they could not use the cables from the 650w PSU instead of red Cables from 1200w one .

its not like they usually are that incompatible.

Aside from the fact that mixing power supply cables is a bad idea; the MSI MAG A650BN is a non modular power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Aside from the fact that mixing power supply cables is a bad idea;

What's that a bout BitWit blowing up a couple /really/ expensive SFX PSUs in one video because of cable stupidity?

7 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Well, it depends on who's counting, manufacturers however say that 2000GB = 2TB, hence why we have TiB which is 2048GiB [GiB because GB can again be 1000MB depending on who's counting again]

Ok then

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

What's that a bout BitWit blowing up a couple /really/ expensive SFX PSUs in one video because of cable stupidity?

Greg Salazar blew up his whole system that way a few years ago. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Ok then

these sketchy numbers have been a thing for /decades/.  It's not a new thing.

But as we go from MB, to GB, to TB to PB?  The "funny math" makes the differences get a LOT bigger.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

these sketchy numbers have been a thing for /decades/.  It's not a new thing.

But as we go from MB, to GB, to TB to PB?  The "funny math" makes the differences get a LOT bigger.

Then prepare for exabyte, zettabyte, yottabyte and brontobyte. (I know there is more but I don't want to be researching until the infinity and beyond.)

On 12/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Spotty said:

Using the ASUS power supply was the right choice xD

Hopefully Geoff gets some custom purple and green cables to replace those red cables then the build will be looking mint.

Aside from the fact that mixing power supply cables is a bad idea; the MSI MAG A650BN is a non modular power supply.

well second part is a very strong argument and very hard to argue against , but why mixing power supply cables are bad idea , they all probably made in same factory in China and only the branding is different, probably the company even is different from the one that made the PSU.

I always mix them, wonder if there is a research on that . 

2 hours ago, JEskandari said:

well second part is a very strong argument and very hard to argue against , but why mixing power supply cables are bad idea , they all probably made in same factory in China and only the branding is different, probably the company even is different from the one that made the PSU.

I always mix them, wonder if there is a research on that . 

They're not all made in the same factory. Different power supplies can and do use different cables which aren't compatible with other power supplies. Modular power cables for power supplies were all developed by the PSU brands independently from each other and all around the same time. They all came up with their own designs and own cable pinouts. Nobody forced them to standardise a design and none of the major brands wants to shift from their established design - making their own power supplies incompatible - to their competitors design. All the brands want everybody else to use their standard and refuse to change theirs so everybody just continues using their own cables.

Some PSUs may use the same cables. Corsair and Seasonic [which use different cables from each other] have been relatively consistent over the last 10 years so using cables from one Corsair PSU to another Corsair PSU, or one Seasonic PSU to another Seasonic own brand is mostly okay but there are exceptions. Some other brands can use a complete mixture of cables for different models. Check Corsairs Cable compatibility chart for example https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

EVGA has been fairly consistent with their Supernova G & P lineup but I think the other models are a bit of mixture of different cables. There are also other brands that sell PSUs that don't have their own PSU design teams that relabel other power supplies or just buy existing designs from PSU manufacturers without altering them, and they may end up using the same cables as another PSU.  For example MSI has used Channel Well Technology to manufacture some of their modular power supplies and CWT is one of the major manufacturers for Corsair power supplies so when MSI comes in and buys a power supply from CWT they just stick with the same cables. The ASUS Thor is based on a Seasonic PSU and uses the same cables that Seasonic uses. But just because a power supply is made by the same manufacturer as another doesn't mean they use the same cables. The discontinued Corsair AX1000 Titanium was manufactured by Seasonic and based on the Seasonic Prime Titanium but it uses Corsair's cables not Seasonic's. Even though it was made in the same factory as other Seasonic power supplies trying to use Seasonic's cables on it would kill your hardware.

Power supply cables output a mixture of voltages. +12V, +5V, +3.3V, -12V, +5VSB. There's also additional wires for Power Good signal, Power On, and possibly sense wires to monitor voltage.

If you mix PSU cables then you can end up with a cable that has +12V where it's supposed to be +5V and then when you plug in your SSD or whatever the controller board gets fried because it's getting 12V instead of 5V. PCIe and CPU cables are 12V and Ground and often are just a row of 12V across either the top or bottom row on the connector with the other row ground, so at best it's a 50:50 chance if mixing CPU or PCIe cables will work.

Look at the PSU Side pinouts on the bottom image on each of these and you'll see that they use different pinouts.

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/seasonic-focus-sgx-cables-pinout

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/corsair-psu-type-4-cables-pinout

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/evga-psu-supernova-cables-pinout

Most people won't be aware what type of cables their power supply uses and there's a good chance that whatever cables they mix won't be compatible so the advice given is to never mix PSU cables. It can be done if you know for sure that the cables are compatible, but people who already know that and know how to check the pinout using a multimeter (or know where to find resources which tested it and provide pinouts to check) aren't the ones that need to hear the message. It's pretty much the same logic behind the "Never open a power supply" advice. People who know what they're doing and know the dangers can disregard it and go ahead and open their PSU but it stops the vast majority of people who don't know what they're doing opening it up and touching a capacitor and getting 400V shocked through them and ending up in hospital.

If you tell me which PSUs you mixed cables from and which cables you used I might be able to tell you why it worked and you didn't kill your hardware (such as if both PSUs are actually based on the same design and use the same cables, or if you just mixed say the PCIe cable which by chance happened to use the same pinout).

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450