His Money Management Skills Are VERY Questionable

CPotter
On 12/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Then prepare for exabyte, zettabyte, yottabyte and brontobyte. (I know there is more but I don't want to be researching until the infinity and beyond.)

As far as I'm aware storage uses metric prefixes, hence why people will refer to 1tb as 1000GB instead of 1024GB and a quick look on wikipedia gets you this. Obviously they're bound to go even higher at some point but so far the largest unit prefix is quetta which is (probably) many times more storage than there even exists in the world.

image.png.799d8f0de7c56aaeedf857445fe267e7.png

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

As far as I'm aware storage uses metric prefixes, hence why people will refer to 1tb as 1000GB instead of 1024GB and a quick look on wikipedia gets you this. Obviously they're bound to go even higher at some point but so far the largest unit prefix is quetta which is (probably) many times more storage than there even exists in the world.

image.png.799d8f0de7c56aaeedf857445fe267e7.png

Ok

37 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They're not all made in the same factory. Different power supplies can and do use different cables which aren't compatible with other power supplies. Modular power cables for power supplies were all developed by the PSU brands independently from each other and all around the same time. They all came up with their own designs and own cable pinouts. Nobody forced them to standardise a design and none of the major brands wants to shift from their established design - making their own power supplies incompatible - to their competitors design. All the brands want everybody else to use their standard and refuse to change theirs so everybody just continues using their own cables.

Some PSUs may use the same cables. Corsair and Seasonic [which use different cables from each other] have been relatively consistent over the last 10 years so using cables from one Corsair PSU to another Seasonic or one Seasonic PSU to another Seasonic own brand is mostly okay but there are exceptions. Check Corsairs Cable compatibility chart for example https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

EVGA has been fairly consistent with their Supernova G & P lineup but I think the other models are a bit of mixture of different cables. There are also other brands that sell PSUs that don't have their own PSU design teams that relabel other power supplies or just buy existing designs from PSU manufacturers without altering them, and they may end up using the same cables as another PSU.  For example MSI has used Channel Well Technology to manufacture some of their modular power supplies and CWT is one of the major manufacturers for Corsair power supplies so when MSI comes in and buys a power supply from CWT they just stick with the same cables. The ASUS Thor is based on a Seasonic PSU and uses the same cables that Seasonic uses. But just because a power supply is made by the same manufacturer as another doesn't mean they use the same cables. The discontinued Corsair AX1000 Titanium was manufactured by Seasonic and based on the Seasonic Prime Titanium but it uses Corsair's cables not Seasonic's. Even though it was made in the same factory as other Seasonic power supplies trying to use Seasonic's cables on it would kill your hardware.

Power supply cables output a mixture of voltages. +12V, +5V, +3.3V, -12V, +5VSB. There's also additional wires for Power Good signal, Power On, and possibly sense wires to monitor voltage.

If you mix PSU cables then you can end up with a cable that has +12V where it's supposed to be +5V and then when you plug in your SSD or whatever the controller board gets fried because it's getting 12V instead of 5V. PCIe and CPU cables are 12V and Ground and often are just a row of 12V across either the top or bottom row on the connector with the other row ground, so at best it's a 50:50 chance if mixing CPU or PCIe cables will work.

Look at the PSU Side pinouts on the bottom image on each of these and you'll see that they use different pinouts.

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/seasonic-focus-sgx-cables-pinout

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/corsair-psu-type-4-cables-pinout

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/evga-psu-supernova-cables-pinout

Most people won't be aware what type of cables their power supply uses and there's a good chance that whatever cables they mix won't be compatible so the advice given is to never mix PSU cables. It can be done if you know for sure that the cables are compatible, but people who already know that and know how to check the pinout using a multimeter (or know where to find resources which tested it and provide pinouts to check) aren't the ones that need to hear the message. It's pretty much the same logic behind the "Never open a power supply" advice. People who know what they're doing and know the dangers can disregard it and go ahead and open their PSU but it stops the vast majority of people who don't know what they're doing opening it up and touching a capacitor and getting 400V shocked through them and ending up in hospital.

If you tell me which PSUs you mixed cables from and which cables you used I might be able to tell you why it worked and you didn't kill your hardware (such as if both PSUs are actually based on the same design and use the same cables, or if you just mixed say the PCIe cable which by chance happened to use the same pinout).

well ,its many years we use laptop but around 8-10 years ago we used desktops and we used to change the cable on various types of local brand called GREEN that I'm sure they didn't designed their PSU and used designs base on Seasonic and if I recall correctly in one serries of their 750-1000w PSU they used Enermax at least it was the case then ,todays they claim they build and design their own product but i doubt it as UL numbers on their products well belong to other companies (usually HEC and another company in Canada). and of one thing about those power I'm certain , the undervolt protection didn't work as it should but non the less we used them because they were 1/3rd the price of the original ones.

those aside we used to change the PSU in the systems well they were semi modular so the motherboard cable were not interchangeable but the vga and the rest of the system cables were the same) .

now that I think the only full modular PSU I touched and probably the only full modular was my own PC at home, It had one of those overclocking GREEN  PSU and I changed it with a Silverstone ST75F  PSU because i wanted all 12 volt on a single rail instead of 4 rail and well I had to change the cables that went into motherboard as the connectors were coded and you could not use old cables for them but I'm sure didn't bother to change the cable for GPU and drives.

probably I taught you can easily change the cables because we used not to change the cable on peripherals

On 12/22/2022 at 5:14 AM, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Well, it depends on who's counting, manufacturers however say that 2000GB = 2TB, hence why we have TiB which is 2048GiB [GiB because GB can again be 1000MB depending on who's counting again]

My favorite part is that MB = Megabytes and Mb = Megabits.

Not room for confusion there whatsoever, right?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!