should i care about 4k tv's

EFD307

Maybe it's just me but in that specific post the text shows up as black instead of white as it should.

probably a forum bug...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This has got to be one of the biggest facepalm posts ive seen! You really have no idea what u are talking about and have extremely bad eyes!!!

obviously you have never done this in your life...facepalm yourself to posting a stupid reply

I dont think you understand what "screen real estate" means. you still have a 1920 by 1080 space to work with, your just stretching windows over large spaces which wastes a lot of space on your programs GUI and the task bar. If you like the stretched out wasted space look better than by all means go for it. I wasn't saying anything negative towards 4k monitors, monitors aren't designed to be 55 inches, a computer can utilize the screen real estate where a tv(when used as a tv) can not at this point.

Fun fact... My 23inch monitor has the same screen real estate without taking up an ungodly amount of space.. Also, I would ignore the TV section becauset they're overpriced if you're only going to use it as a desktop monitor and have a lot of useless features.

a surround monitor setup costs about the same as a 55in LED tv

but then you need 3x the graphics horsepower

The lab computer i use for research at my school uses a 50 inch tv, i absolutely hate it, each pixel is like a quarter of an inch, having 2 programs sharing the same screen isn't practical because the menus take up 40% of the screen. when you need to actually multitask and are dealing with things like analyzing data using multiple programs its an absolute nightmare, id take 2 17inch monitors any day of the week against that 50 inch tv. and again your not getting the concept of screen real estate. run a game in windowed mode at a lower (720p) resolution, see how it takes up a certain amount of space, I can fit 2 of those windows on my 2560x1440 monitor where as you cant. making the screen bigger doesnt mean you have more screen real estate.

think of it like a fish tank. if you have 10 gallons of water in a 100 gallon tank you still have 10 gallons of water, increasing the size of the tank but not water doesn't give the fish any more room to swim.

think of it as 'stretching' the water so that the molecules are 2x larger

This is not true.

A million pixels is a million pixels, if you you have one pixel matrix that is 24 inches, and another that is 70, if they are both the same number of pixels then when you move the image across it will appear larger in proportion to the size of the display.

I just measured my Steam icon on my monitor and then dragged it to my on TV, on the monitor it's 14mm, TV 21mm, same resolution on both, only difference is the size of the display.

I don't know who told you what you are saying, but it's false.

i want told

i am typing this on my 55in tv/monitor right now and i can see the line below as a straight line, not as multiple lines, how about you? is it a single line for ya? or is it divided into several lines

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do understand understand a tv with a resolution on 1920x1080 has the same space as every other monitor with that resolution, you're just making the physical size of the screen larger, doesn't mean your 65" TV has more real estate than my 23" monitor.

maybe you guys do not completely understand...

you can change the size of items such as icons, programs, and other stuff so that the image stays the same size on the tv as it would on a regular 24in monitor

basically fitting more in the same space, except at a lower resolution

so i can fit 20 icons on the desktop vertically, and they will be the same size as on a 24in monitor but at 1/2 the resolution

on a 4k tv however, they will be the same resolution and same size while still being able to fit 20 icons

this 'downgrade' of resolution is why many people make the stuff on the tv larger, such as text and windows

i just keep everything the original size so i can have 40 tabs open and read what each and every one says

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4k is amazing but there is not content and pc horsepower to run any games at max :/

If nobody buys 4K, then there will be no reason for content. It's the same thing with 3D. Nobody bought it either. As long as consumers sit twiddling there thumbs, we will be watching DVDs for another 20 years.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Here, for all the ignorant people who do not believe me I took some screen shots of Minecraft on a 24in 1080p screen vs my 55in tv screen:

post-4438-0-51055900-1399040222_thumb.jp

Take a close look at all the items on the right side on the inventory.

post-4438-0-61567400-1399040232_thumb.jp

Now look how much more stuff fits in the same place!

This is the same that happens with all the programs, desktop, files, and web browsing. Sure the items are lower resolution, but I can fit more and still be able to see them!

If you are looking at this on a 24in screen you will notice how difficult it is to see each individual item on the right side, because the first image is the correct GUI size for smaller monitors.

My point is that on a 55in tv, the scale of items is reduced to fit more, and in the process resolution is lost.

Spoiler

q

Why are both pictures 1600x847 and not 1920x1080?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Why are both pictures 1600x847 and not 1920x1080?

LTT resized them for some reason

the source files are 1080p tho...

idk what whent wrong

EDIT- I think its because i put them directly in the post

i might need to put them in a spoiler, but im not sure how those work

Spoiler

LTT resizes them to fit a post

if you click on the image and open it in a new tab you will see its 1080p

it's still 847p :(

8wgKZ.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

it's still 847p :(

8wgKZ.jpg

edited the post ^ :(

Spoiler

obviously you have never done this in your life...facepalm yourself to posting a stupid reply

Actually I have my mum plugs her laptop in to the tv to watch movies and it looks terrible!

Actually I have my mum plugs her laptop in to the tv to watch movies and it looks terrible!

there are some configuration issues with connecting a PC to a tv

it took me a couple hours to figure out how to get the image looking normal

it requires you to rename the input connected to your pc as 'PC' as well as change a bunch of setting in the image quality settings

its not just plug-and-play

especially when you are using hdmi instead of vga to connect to your tv

but i got it working and it looks beautiful :) ill post some pictures later

Spoiler

I don't actually know if you should. The next milestone I'm actually waiting for is like 6K 21:9 TV that'll be pretty sweet, when there will be enough content and graphichal horse power for gaming.... but that will happen I'll most likely already be out of any form of school whatsoever . :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

a surround monitor setup costs about the same as a 55in LED tv

but then you need 3x the graphics horsepower

think of it as 'stretching' the water so that the molecules are 2x larger

i want told

i am typing this on my 55in tv/monitor right now and i can see the line below as a straight line, not as multiple lines, how about you? is it a single line for ya? or is it divided into several lines

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe you guys do not completely understand...

you can change the size of items such as icons, programs, and other stuff so that the image stays the same size on the tv as it would on a regular 24in monitor

basically fitting more in the same space, except at a lower resolution

so i can fit 20 icons on the desktop vertically, and they will be the same size as on a 24in monitor but at 1/2 the resolution

on a 4k tv however, they will be the same resolution and same size while still being able to fit 20 icons

this 'downgrade' of resolution is why many people make the stuff on the tv larger, such as text and windows

i just keep everything the original size so i can have 40 tabs open and read what each and every one says

You are factually dumb at this subject.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I won't even bother commenting on him, he thinks a bigger pixel is more screen estate *facepalm*

WTF is your problem. Have you never used a tv with a computer or what? You have no right to call someone dumb without even explaining why. YOU are the idiot here.

Spoiler

WTF is your problem. Have you never used a tv with a computer or what? You have no right to call someone dumb without even explaining why. YOU are the idiot here.

No problems, and yes i have used 2 TV's.

My 1440p monitor has more real estate at 27"  than my 37" 1080 TV.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

No problems, and yes i have used 2 TV's.

My 1440p monitor has more real estate at 27"  than my 37" 1080 TV.

>.< You dont get my point at all

You can make the GUI size on the TV smaller while still being able to see items

If you do this on a small 24 or 27" monitor the items will be too small to see them properly

This is basically like putting a 4k image downsampled to 1080, which makes everything really small.

You only really want to do this if you have a 60 or 65in tv, so that you can actually the stuff on the screen.

Also this doesn't really work well with text because of the low PPI, which makes text really difficult to read when it is small.

Spoiler

If you do this on a small 24 or 27" monitor the items will be too small to see them properly

This is basically like putting a 4k image downsampled to 1080, which makes everything really small.

You only really want to do this if you have a 60 or 65in tv, so that you can actually the stuff on the screen.

Also this doesn't really work well with text because of the low PPI, which makes text really difficult to read when it is small.

The screen size remains the same, the size of the desktop is determined through resolution, all a larger screen does is stretch the image to a larger size, you do not gain any real estate.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

The screen size remains the same, the size of the desktop is determined through resolution, all a larger screen does is stretch the image to a larger size, you do not gain any real estate.

Put your desktop icons to small. Can you see them on your 27"screen properly?

Spoiler

Put your desktop icons to small. Can you see them on your 27"screen properly?

Errr yes...

Called 20/20 vision.

I have a 21.5" 1080p ACER too, can see everything on that perfectly too.

I have a laptop with 1336x768 res at 17", i can see all of that too.

The one with the largest real estate is the 27" DELL with the ACER and TV sharing 2nd.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

I love my 2560x1440 monitor but i dont see how a 4k tv will matter at this point. Maybe i just dont understand how cable works or something but it seems to me that most if not all content being created at this point is going to be 1080p. i can play 1080p youtube videos on my hd+ monitor but its still just 1080p. i could understand making the purchase in a few years when higher resolution is the standard but right now, unless im getting this wrong, there isn't even going to be much content created in 4k until it really catches on. and by the time it catches on the price of a 4k tv will be significantly lower.  4k monitors make sense but i just don't see why anyone should be excited about 4k tvs.... at least not yet.

Nah

Errr yes...

Called 20/20 vision.

I have a 21.5" 1080p ACER too, can see everything on that perfectly too.

I have a laptop with 1336x768 res at 17", i can see all of that too.

The one with the largest real estate is the 27" DELL with the ACER and TV sharing 2nd.

Don't they look really tiny on such a small screen?

On my tv 'small' icons/thumbnails are still larger than 'normal' size ones on a 24" monitor...

Spoiler

On my tv 'small' icons/thumbnails are still larger than 'normal' size ones on a 24" monitor...

No, they look normal.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Okay so there's a ton of misinformation/misunderstands going on here,

Let's clear up some confusion. Your computer is doing something called "DPI Scaling" on your TV. This is not a feature that is unique to TV's. You can in fact do this with any monitor or TV, or other video output device (such as a projector).

So, with DPI scaling, you are changing the number of "DPI" (Dots per inch, or in other words, number of Pixels per inch) that the screen outputs.

Windows normally runs at a certain set DPI. This is because of GUI scaling issues (Not all programs scale equally well). You can increase or decrease this scaling, to your hearts content (There are several options to choose from, and you may even be able to do custom DPI sizes using regedit hacks, but I cannot confirm this last bit).

In any case, your TV does NOT have more real estate then any other 1080p screen. Why? Because that same scaling can be applied to any of those 1080p screens.

Higher resolution = more screen real estate. Increasing (or decreasing) the DPI does not change the physical number of pixels on the screen.

Does that clear things up for you?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Okay so there's a ton of misinformation/misunderstands going on here,

Let's clear up some confusion. Your computer is doing something called "DPI Scaling" on your TV. This is not a feature that is unique to TV's. You can in fact do this with any monitor or TV, or other video output device (such as a projector).

So, with DPI scaling, you are changing the number of "DPI" (Dots per inch, or in other words, number of Pixels per inch) that the screen outputs.

Windows normally runs at a certain set DPI. This is because of GUI scaling issues (Not all programs scale equally well). You can increase or decrease this scaling, to your hearts content (There are several options to choose from, and you may even be able to do custom DPI sizes using regedit hacks, but I cannot confirm this last bit).

In any case, your TV does NOT have more real estate then any other 1080p screen. Why? Because that same scaling can be applied to any of those 1080p screens.

Higher resolution = more screen real estate. Increasing (or decreasing) the DPI does not change the physical number of pixels on the screen.

Does that clear things up for you?

Yes, but you can increase the scaling on a  tv more than a monitor while still being able to see the stuff. 24" monitors are small enough, it will not be very good to make everything 2x smaller :\

Spoiler