Oculus Founder Creates Lethal VR Headset

Dragonwinged

Summary

Oculus Founder Palmer Luckey created a VR headset that executes the player if their in-game avatar dies.

Quotes

Modern virtual reality pioneer Palmer Luckey claims he created a VR headset that would instantly destroy the user’s brain with explosive charge modules if the player’s character dies in the game.

“If you die in the game,” Luckey wrote in his Monday blog post. “You die in real life.”

My thoughts

As if the metaverse didn't have enough reasons not to play it.

For those of you who haven't noticed yet, Palmer Luckey's quote comes from popular Japanese manga and anime series Sword Art Online. What he may have missed is that the creator of the in-universe NerveGear, Akihiko Kayaba (I think that's how you spell it.) Captured ten thousand players at the launch of the game before disabling the log out button and activating the game's deadly mechanics. The entire situation was involuntary for the players. But Bill gates was just caught trying to vaccinate people via mosquitoes, so who's to say your new oculus headset can't kill you. Either way, I ain't buying an Oculus headset anytime soon.

Sources

My source

https://www.dailywire.com/news/oculus-founder-defense-contractor-developing-vr-headset-that-kills-user-if-avatar-dies-in-game

Other sources

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/11/oculus-co-founder-makes-a-vr-headset-that-can-literally-kill-you/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/11/08/oculus-founder-makes-vr-headset-that-will-actually-kill-you-if-you-die-in-a-game/

Source from Techlinked

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy7kbq/palmer-luckey-made-a-vr-headset-that-kills-the-user-if-they-die-in-the-game?utm_source=reddit.com

Edited by Dragonwinged
removing italicized text

1 hour ago, Dragonwinged said:

But Bill gates was just caught trying to vaccinate people via mosquitoes, so who's to say your new oculus headset can't kill you.

I don't think those two things quite compare. While vaccinating people without their explicit consent is morally questionable, at least the intention behind it is good. Meanwhile I fail to see any redeeming quality to strapping an explosive device to a person's forehead.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

I don't think those two things quite compare. While vaccinating people without their explicit consent is morally questionable, at least the intention behind it is good. Meanwhile I fail to see any redeeming quality to strapping an explosive device to a person's forehead.

I think maybe he took people wanting a vr experience that blows their mind away a little too literal. 

4 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

Oculus Founder Palmer Luckey created a VR headset that executes the player if their in-game avatar dies.

Also known as Heathcliff????

Now we just need a good VR MMORPG and we're set.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I was considering buying a Quest 2 to play Alyx last week but unless they connect to the nerves it's really just a dumb gimmick. Nobody wants to move around like a monkey while playing a video game.

Though it would  never happen anyway even if they managed to. The EU would just ban it outright and there would be deadly bugs like the item not managing to disconnect from your nerves successfully so you're left in a vegetable state since it has to disconnect you from your body. They'd allow it in America though since the poor there are just consumers for the rich to abuse.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also known as Heathcliff????

But this headset doesn't say "HAM" on it...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I keep seeing these articles...I can't believe that news sites are actually writing articles about what effectively amounts to a joke and treating it like it is news.

Sword Art Online canonically launched November 6th 2022, so these are all meme things.

And spoiler for the subsequent seasons, you can still die, just someone doxx's you and murders you.

3 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I was considering buying a Quest 2 to play Alyx last week but unless they connect to the nerves it's really just a dumb gimmick.

Yeah… because lying around like a virtual paraplegic with your nerves temporarily redirected to some gaming peripheral is a much better idea than wearing a headset. What could possibly go wrong 😄

23 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Meanwhile I fail to see any redeeming quality to strapping an explosive device to a person's forehead.

you may find your answer if you ask a russian roulette winner

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

you may find your answer if you ask a russian roulette winner

5 out of 6 players think russian roulette is a fun game