Is it stealing

chimmychunger

Ok so my school charges us for internet 3 cenc a mb to be exact, so me and some friends found out a techers internet password (Teachers have unlimited) so we now use that, is it techically stealing or not. They do give us 40 cence a day but that last like one or 2 websites plus some teachers want us to watch youtube videos on the topic

What kind of neck-bone low rent gutter level school charges for internet usage?  Unbelievable.  I am going to give you some advice.  Move to the US, or Canada, or anywhere.  Clearly living that close to penguins causes people to behave irrationally when it comes to internet pricing.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Just don't tell anyone and as long as you don't get caught I wouldn't consider that stealing.  Charging you 3 cents per MB is ridiculous and they're basically begging you to use the teacher accounts.

its not stealing but it is "bad" you can get into trouble with that. i know somone that did the same thing. got suspended for 3 days. probably just for show but still. 

cant believe your school charges for internet. thats new to me

What kind of neck-bone low rent gutter level school charges for internet usage?  Unbelievable.  I am going to give you some advice.  Move to the US, or Canada, or anywhere.  Clearly living that close to penguins causes people to behave irrationally when it comes to internet pricing.

trust me if i had the choice i would move to the us in a heartbeat

This is on top of a monthly fee with a cap or whatever?

The US is a facist police state :P go to Canada if you want to be in North America

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Be honest, the reason you want to be in the US is... lower online gaming latency.  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

School charging you for Internet is stealing...

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The school pays about 5000 dollers for the internet (Fiber) it is unlimited. they pay this every month, But its 1000 dollers a year per student, 1200$ for the laptops that are required Then its 50$ just for a jumper. so i think we should at leats get free internt.

That's pretty cheap that your school makes you pay for the internet. It kinda is stealing because you are getting something for free when everyone else has to pay for it.

Dude its school fuck it, just use it as long as the teacher doesn't have to pay a stupidly large bill i see no issue. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Schools internet is paid for with tax dollars, so them charging you to use it may be illegal. Someone must be using that money and if the school board dues not know about it you can get someone in trouble. You may want to ask some questions at your school to find out if this is legal or not.

How did you "find out" their password?  

If you just figured it out then its their own fault.

If you hacked the password that is technically stealing and illegal and you should probably stop.

If there was a vulnerability in the school security that allowed you to see, then I would tell the principal of the school and warn him of it.   No matter how your friends feel about you when you tell the principal its always best to do the right thing and gaining the principal's trust is a very useful thing that can come in handy in allot of situations. 

I can't believe that no one hear said it was stealing when it CLEARLY is. Not paying for a service when you are supposed to pay for it is by definition. It's akin to downloading music/movies/programs illegally.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Don't, go to Europe instead. Their internet is fucking fast.

I can't believe that no one hear said it was stealing when it CLEARLY is. Not paying for a service when you are supposed to pay for it is by definition. It's akin to downloading music/movies/programs illegally.

That depends if it is a public school or a private school. and what the regulation is with regard to internet at said school. As @PsychoticEpisode   has pointed out, if the school internet is paid for with tax dollars and the government regulation states that all students can have access then it is fraud on the schools part to charge not stealing on the students part.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Fuck the school. Keep using that password. It's not stealing if the teachers aren't paying for it and get unlimited.

It'd be a different story if the teachers have to pay for that access and have a limit on that usage.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Ok so my school charges us for internet 3 cenc a mb to be exact, so me and some friends found out a techers internet password (Teachers have unlimited) so we now use that, is it techically stealing or not. They do give us 40 cence a day but that last like one or 2 websites plus some teachers want us to watch youtube videos on the topic

its not stealing, they already payed for it so whatever. download a shit ton of pron for giggles. also go to another school ol

The school should not be charging you in the first place

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Ok so my school charges us for internet, 3¢/MB to be exact.

WHAT? Your school charges you for internet? No school should be charging their students for internet. That's ludicrous. We're from the same country mate and I never paid for the use of an internet connection at school (even if it was 10 years ago). I would certainly be question this if I were you. What school is this in Adelaide?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

its only stealing if you get caught :P

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue